Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Mad Katter posted:

This article is from the Australian, not linked for obvious reasons. 

A point to note is that while community colleges are cheaper, they don't give you a bachelors. After 2 years you typically get an associate degree, and then need to finish the other 2 years (4 year degrees in the US) at a private uni. I suspect a lot of the dropouts are those stuck between the two systems.

I'll (probably forget to) hit up my US-educated partner for more dirt tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Ricky Muir is saving the carbon tax :psyduck:

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
Apparently Simon Sheikh, the Great Green Hope for the ACT, has just shut down a bunch of the branches of the business he owns outside the ACT, kicking out a bunch of young employees with 1-2 days notice.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Captain Pissweak posted:

I'll be honest, I didn't think I'd be adding him to the list of people smarter than the Coalition and with more integrity than Alan Moran, but here we are.

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Amethyst posted:

Lol at the phrase "attempting to hold us over a moral barrel"

Heh, your "morals" are of no concern to Aussies! I see through your tricks.

If Tony was dropped into a moral barrel wouldn't he just bob to the top and float like any other piece of poo poo?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hooray for the American University Model!

http://debtandsociety.org/publication/borrowing_against_the_future/

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Captain Pissweak posted:

He's saving ARENA not the carbon tax :australia:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bompacho posted:

If Tony was dropped into a moral barrel wouldn't he just bob to the top and float like any other piece of poo poo?

A harrowing tale, if true.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Jumpingmanjim posted:

He's saving ARENA not the carbon tax :australia:

There was apparently a snap vote this morning and Muir held the line to not totally murder it according to Seven.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Thirty six to thirty six.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Politics are weird.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Politics RULES.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
As far as I know, Palmer is just holding to the idea of not axing it before the release of the senate report into it which has already had all the work done. I can not imagine why Tony would want to get rid of it before the facts are known.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Shame we couldn't get the sports party candidate as well, mircoparty outsiders make politics fun.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

I mean, we can overanalyse the situation all we like but really this "decision" comes down to one of two factors: Procedure or Substance.

He could have voted against shutting down debate as a procedural "gently caress you" to stop the government pressuring the crossbenchers to not consider things in their own time. The senate is perfectly within their rights to do so and it's a good idea just from a reputation and power perpsective to start off this way.

It could also be because he doesn't want to shut down the Carbon Tax. This would be news, as every indication since the election has been that he will vote as a bloc to remove it. Could he have had a change of heart recently? Not likely - but if he has, that would be extraordinary and completely change the dynamics of the Senate, not to mention put him offside with the PUP and automatically onside with the Greens and to a lesser extent Labor.

Fascinating.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Wow. Gotta give the guy some credit. This really does seem like a principled stand based on personal ideals.

I'll be interested to see how long he can hold that line in the face of political pressure in the senate.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Gough Suppressant posted:

As far as I know, Palmer is just holding to the idea of not axing it before the release of the senate report into it which has already had all the work done. I can not imagine why Tony would want to get rid of it before the facts are known.

Palmer told all of them to kill it now and everyone but Muir crossed the floor.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
This is really amazing and I can't wait to see how the media reacts.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

abc.net.au posted:

South Australian independent Senator Nick Xenophon issued a "plea" to his fellow crossbenchers to allow debate to continue until tomorrow morning.

"This is about the Senate doing its job," he said.

The Government move was supported by PUP senators Glenn Lazarus, Jacqui Lambie and Dio Wang along with Family First senator Bob Day and Liberal Democrat David Leyonhjelm.

But it needed one more vote from the micro-party crossbench, and the remaining three senators - Victoria's Senator Muir, Senator Xenophon and John Madigan from the Democratic Labour Party.

All sided with the Opposition.

When the vote was held, one senator was heard to exclaim "Onya Ricky".

Doesnt exactly sound like a vote to save the CT, just a vote to give him more time?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

John Madigan? WTF?

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-09/backbencher-likens-climate-change-to-science-fiction-film-plot/5583734

ABC posted:

One of the Prime Minister's backbenchers has likened the climate change debate to a science fiction film plot, but says "alarmist" claims are more comedic than frightening.

Liberal National Party MP George Christensen made the comments in Las Vegas at a conference hosted by the Heartland Institute, a prominent think tank questioning man-made climate change.

Mr Christensen drew heavily from Hollywood films to mock claims made about the effects of climate change, which he says are exaggerated.

"In Australia, we have crossed that point where the horror genre is descending into a comedy," he told the audience.

I will forbear to comment as I have nothing to add that the article does not shout loudly while wearing a clown costume

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

John Madigan? WTF?

Madigan will vote to repeal the tax, but believes really strongly in the processes and procedures of the senate. Hence opposing the gag.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

ROFLBOT posted:

Doesnt exactly sound like a vote to save the CT, just a vote to give him more time?

It saves the CT temporarily. This is the time when we goonrush his office with flowery explosive praise for saving the carbon price and hoping that he will continue his principled and thoughtful stance for Australia's future

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

hooman posted:

Madigan will vote to repeal the tax, but believes really strongly in the processes and procedures of the senate. Hence opposing the gag.

I thought Madigan had said he'd changed position on the carbon price in the last couple of months? Am I just making that up?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Quantum Mechanic posted:

It saves the CT temporarily. This is the time when we goonrush his office with flowery explosive praise for saving the carbon price and hoping that he will continue his principled and thoughtful stance for Australia's future

Yeah someone needs to be massaging this guy's ego over this, now.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Guy that throws poop more forward-thinking than entire Liberal party.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Amethyst posted:

Yeah someone needs to be massaging this guy's ego over this, now.

Here's the link to do a quickie contact through the Parliament website:

http://www.aph.gov.au/Senators_and_Members/Contact_Senator_or_Member?MPID=250024

If you're actually in his state of Victoria though, a proper letter might be worth the extra effort. I can't seem to find any postal address, though.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Mad Katter posted:

Can someone from the States comment on the quality of these institutions and whether or not they’re comparable to the universities here in Australia? 

Sure.

As you have no doubt surmised, the speech is essentially misleading bullshit. There's a whole lot of correlation/causation misunderstanding (no doubt deliberate) stuff going on with regard to quality and high costs.

Costs are high at lots of schools because a college education is seen as an absolute necessity for success in life in the US and they realise that people are willing to go into crippling debt in order to have a chance (but only a chance!) at escaping poverty.

My university has tens of billions of dollars in endowment, but tuition sticker price is around $50k a year. They don't even make most of their money from tuition fees. They charge this because they can, and people are willing to pay for the brandname.

Now it is true that there is significant financial aid at my school. Anyone who's parents earn less than $60k a year don't pay tuition at all, for example.

Issue is, with the way US college admissions work, there aren't a whole lot of people from a low socioeconomic status who ever get in here. For every plumbers son, there are 5 sons of senators.

More than this, as I mentioned, I got to an elite university with absurd amounts of money. It can afford the generous financial aid. The reason there is still an issue is that this quote

quote:

To be sure, some of the better private universities in the US advertise prices of more than $40,000 a year for tuition.

, while technically true, is incredibly misleading to the point that it may as well be a lie. Some of the better private universities in the US have tuition more than $40k a year. But so do really crappy private universities, most of which don't provide anywhere near the amount of financial aid as the elite universities. NYU for example, has astronomical tuition costs (around $50k), practically no financial aid, and extremely high living costs due to New York. NYU isn't really crappy, but it's pretty meh as far as private colleges go. There are significantly worse private colleges which are just as expensive (though I don't know exact tuition costs like I do for NYU; I know people who went there for undergrad). Unlike Bebbington would have you believe, massive tuition and crap all financial aid is the standard for private universities.

As for the "hey, everyone goes to public universities" thing, there's a whole lot of misunderstanding and misrepresentation going on there also. To begin with, Australian universities are public. So if we are to follow the American university system, shouldn't Australian universities only be the charging $9000 a year that public American universities are charging? You know, roughly the amount we currently pay? :rolleye:

Furthermore, this guy is lumping in community college with colleges. Community college is not university, it is the TAFE equivalent. So representing them as being equivalent is very misleading.

Anyway, the $9000 thing is actually really misleading. Because public universities in the US distinguish between in-state and out-of-state students (since each state has a public university system as education is a state dependent thing), have a guess what out-of-state students pay, who make up a substantial proportion of students in public schools? Yep, that same $40,000+ a year

Now this is important, because practically every public university system in every state except for California, Virginia, Texas and maybe two or three more, is complete shithouse. So students in these states essentially have no choice. A private university with $40,000+ in tuition a year, or a public university in another state with $40,000+ a year. Yes, they can go to their public state schools for much less, but they are shooting themselves in the foot in terms of future prospects (because school brand name, prestige and old boys networks matter so much in the US). This kind of stratification of colleges is something that should definitely be avoided in Australia, it's had demonstrably awful affects on the US economy and wealth disparity.

What you didn't go to an Ivy league school? What are you, some kind of hobo?

Ok, now for Carleton College. This is cherry picking at its finest. First, to your question about if it's comparable to universities in Australia. The answer is that no, it absolutely isn't. Carleton College is a liberal arts college that focuses on teaching rather than research, and so is a completely different beast. It's the kind of college that focuses on education for its own sake, rather than for employment (and so you won't hear the Libs using the same college as an example, assuming they had a lick of sense).

In terms of it being used as an example of a "better private university"? Sketchy. While by all accounts it provides a strong education, is isn't typically thought of as being prestigious (liberal arts colleges in general aren't), which has a strong impact on graduates, it isn't difficult to get into, and very few Americans will have ever heard of the place.

I assure you that the "80% of students are given on campus jobs" thing is VERY unusual. Like, no other university I have ever heard of has enough jobs for 80% of its undergrads, let alone guaranteeing them to students.

In general, the speech also completely ignores one of the main problems, the growth rate of tuition. It's all well and good to point to prices now, but when costs increase 30% every 4-5 years it's not exactly a strong argument for deregulation. Of course, this was realised and so it isn't mentioned.

quote:

Many leave university with debts of less than $10,000

This is probably the biggest lie (but technical truth) in the whole article in terms of what it implies versus the reality.

Because parents in the US have children knowing they have to put away money for their college funds. Saying that someone graduates with a debt of $10,000 means nothing if their parents saved up for 20 years and forked out $150,000 for the degree (because paying upfront is much better than paying massive amounts of interest). The cost of the degree is therefore $160,000, not $10,000 as the speech by Vice-Chancellor Asshat is implying.

The US tertiary education system is hosed. It doesn't matter that the schools here provide the best education (at elite schools, for those lucky or fortunate enough to gain admission) if you leave with debt that will cripple you for the rest of your life.

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 9, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

But it needed one more vote from the micro-party crossbench, and the remaining three senators - Victoria's Senator Muir, Senator Xenophon and John Madigan from the Democratic Labour Party.

All sided with the Opposition. When the vote was held, one senator was heard to exclaim "Onya Ricky".

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Shakugan posted:

The US tertiary education system is hosed.

Awesome post, thanks for this.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Ricky Muir and John Madigan.

So basically even the lunatic fringe of Victoria is better than the other states centre right.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.
My wife and I are originally from the US, and did our undergrads at a state university, and everything Shakugan is pretty much dead on. Though I will say that just quoting tuition costs in the US doesn't quite get the whole picture, since a huge percentage of students also live on campus, which means additional housing and meal expenses, all of which must be paid at the beginning of each semester, which means more loans.

In the case of my alma mater, these additional costs are basically equal to tuition. Running through their calculator for this year, tuition for a freshman engineering student is $8000/year, and housing/meals is another $8200/year. So without adding any additional expenses like books, that's 65k minimum for a 4-year degree.

There is the option of off-campus housing like is the norm here, but in general you find the poorer the student, the more likely they're staying on-campus, since their student loans will just be increased to cover it. There's no such thing as Youth Allowance/Austudy to help pay living expenses during school, so on-campus is really their only option if they can't live at home.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Bifauxnen posted:

Here's the link to do a quickie contact through the Parliament website:

http://www.aph.gov.au/Senators_and_Members/Contact_Senator_or_Member?MPID=250024

If you're actually in his state of Victoria though, a proper letter might be worth the extra effort. I can't seem to find any postal address, though.

Level 4, Treasury Place
Melbourne, VIC, 3002

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
OPEN FOR BUSINESS!

quote:

The main reason for loss of confidence in June was the decline in the proportion of businesses feeling that economic conditions in Australia would improve over the next five years. This is now at its lowest level since August 2011.

As a result of this decline in outlook for the economy, there was a drop to 52% (from 54%) in the proportion thinking that the next 12 months would be a good time to invest in growing their business, the lowest level since June 2013.

Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTmddS8yrds

Puppet government rules with an iron rod (up it's bottom).

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Shakugan posted:

This is probably the biggest lie (but technical truth) in the whole article in terms of what it implies versus the reality.

Because parents in the US have children knowing they have to put away money for their college funds. Saying that someone graduates with a debt of $10,000 means nothing if their parents saved up for 20 years and forked out $150,000 for the degree (because paying upfront is much better than paying massive amounts of interest). The cost of the degree is therefore $160,000, not $10,000 as the speech by Vice-Chancellor Asshat is implying.

I knew it seemed like a load of poo poo. Thanks so much for an awesome and informative post. I learnt a lot from this, and it confirmed many of my suspicions.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Occam's razor says Muir accidentally saved the carbon tax and didn't mean to vote the way he did.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

I thought I'd offer a little more insight into the current senate as well.

In a "normal" situation where one of the major parties has a large majority, the power of an individual senator within a major party in vetoing or amending bills is very much diminished because of the weight of numbers. If you have 48 senators out of 72 within your side, if you cross the floor it is more out of principle than necessarily blocking the vote.

In the new senate however, each of the government senators has a lot more power to have their sway, because while the government can pick off individual senators on the crossbench, it still needs to ensure unity within its own ranks. This is a lot harder to achieve when those in the government have that power but also are aware of it.

Take today's votes for example. Ian McDonald crossed the floor to vote with the Greens and Labor on an amendment. The government may have stitched up enough support from the crossbench to win the vote, but that doesn't mean one of its own Senators won't just wander over and stop it too.

Interestingly enough, crossing the floor is traditionally regarded as acceptable within the Coalition, whereas in Labor it's a big no-no unless there's express permission granted.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Smegmatron posted:

Occam's razor says Muir accidentally saved the carbon tax and didn't mean to vote the way he did.

Hanlon's razor also supports this.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.

Murodese posted:

Guy that throws poop more forward-thinking than entire Liberal party.

Not entire... but I'd pay more than the agreed position of the Federal Parliamentary Wing of the Party.

Smegmatron posted:

Procedural motions can be tricky: A vote on the motion to call a vote to repeal an act ... Ummm, yeah well I want No Carbon Tax - so I vote "nay".

Wait ... what just happened?

Hypation fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Smegmatron posted:

He didn't saved it, he just kept the vote from being held until more debate has occurred.

Meanwhile, let me tell you what enhanced screening means:

quote:

"They gave me a phone to speak with someone I did not know," said Nilantha, a former shop owner. "I could not understand the language and the line was also very bad. I never had an opportunity to tell them what I wanted."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/24415200/returned-sri-lanka-migrants-vent-fury-at-australia/

So here's what I want to know from shitfucks like Negligent. If you're so sure that these people are economic migrants, if you so sure they don't deserve protection and aren't real refugees, why are you so scared of properly processing their claims?

• Locked thread