Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Hog Butcher posted:

i cannot use magic until i know my true name

alaron.. your true name ia alaron.. and you don't get magic

Wow, someone else knows it! I've beaten that game like 10 times for real. I wish someone would do a remaster of it with modern graphics and some of the unfinished stuff completed. Never played another rpg with combat like that, and I thought the story and setting for were cool if a bit silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

morroblivion isn't morrowind. if you don't want to play morrowind, that's cool; don't. but don't play a lovely amateur re-make of the game in a lovely engine because you don't want to play the game

^^^^^^^^^
if you cant stomach morrowind go play new vegas or alpha protocol or something

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
only morrowind would make a shirtless old crackhead and a godlike elf with man and lady parts your greatest allies in your quest to become a reincarnated elf general.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The thing is, I can't really appreciate the differences between Morrowind and Skyrim. They both have 3D graphics, they both have first or third person POV, they both have really bad animations and lighting models, both have broken stat systems/level progression/magic, both have terrible economic modelling, they both have a stab at some kind of physics... They are pretty much exactly the same type of game. There are some differences where a lot of effort has been spent modernising Skyrim (eg. voice acting, facial detail) but they are so problemtic because of the technology involved that the implementation just ends up vaguely less ridiculous. Meanwhile there are areas that seemingly haven't been a priority (size of cities, number of NPCs are roughly equivalent), or have actually gone backwards (instanced cities/copypasta dungeons, total number of skills and item classes, ingredients) Take the physics for example. I love the fact that you can just plonk an item out of your inventory in morrowind and the paperdoll appears right where you put it. It cuts down on the weird physics bugs, saves a whole lot of effort defining LODs and keeps me focussed on the missions rather than interior decorating.

Flaky fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 8, 2014

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
If you're not focused on interior decorating you're playing the game wrong.

necroid
May 14, 2009

gently caress I keep reading this thread and every day I kinda want to reinstall Morrowind a bit more

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Why did you ever uninstall it in the first place, you n'wah.

necroid
May 14, 2009

hailthefish posted:

Why did you ever uninstall it in the first place, you n'wah.

necroid posted:

I had it on my recently dead 2004 laptop you skag

so are there any necessary mods I should install? I don't think I've ever felt the need to mod Morrowind

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013

necroid posted:

gently caress I keep reading this thread and every day I kinda want to reinstall Morrowind a bit more

reinstall deus ex and VTMB too

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

One of the mods there is a woman who, despite being married, fantasizes constantly about Todd "Mountain Climber" Howard. It's odd, to say the least. Also, I think I remember her supporting Sarah Palin during McCain's bid for the election.
was that summer or princess stomper

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Titty Warlord posted:

reinstall deus ex and VTMB too

VTMB was so loving good and broken. you could bump right into dudes while sneaking at high level and they'd ignore you, and the music was the most awesome teenagery poo poo imaginable

i get the feeling you were supposed to ally with the anarchs, and i apologise to the marxism thread, but i spent the whole game asskissing for the camarilla because they seemed a lot cooler and more vampire-y than these kind of dirty guys who hung out in a bar not making the most of their afterlives

e: also symbolically the idea of an anarchist vampire is just... dumb... "hey guys I think we should all be equal. oppressed of the world unite to take down all hierarchies. direct democracy now" *sucks down the sweet lifeblood of a prole*

Prism Mirror Lens fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jul 8, 2014

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

was that summer or princess stomper

I think I combined the two on accident. Summer was the Alaskan lady and supporter of Palin, and Princess Stomper was the weirdo with the Todd Howard obsession.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

I think I combined the two on accident. Summer was the Alaskan lady and supporter of Palin, and Princess Stomper was the weirdo with the Todd Howard obsession.

they combined like a real life vivec

Dec 26, 2012

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

VTMB was so loving good and broken. you could bump right into dudes while sneaking at high level and they'd ignore you, and the music was the most awesome teenagery poo poo imaginable

i get the feeling you were supposed to ally with the anarchs, and i apologise to the marxism thread, but i spent the whole game asskissing for the camarilla because they seemed a lot cooler and more vampire-y than these kind of dirty guys who hung out in a bar not making the most of their afterlives

e: also symbolically the idea of an anarchist vampire is just... dumb... "hey guys I think we should all be equal. oppressed of the world unite to take down all hierarchies. direct democracy now" *sucks down the sweet lifeblood of a prole*

you were supposed to go out on your own and flip those stupid assholes the bird as you walked away

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Buschmaki posted:

Like yeah, I get the skill training and stuff, but I just think it's in a weird crossroads between an action RPG and a turn-based dice rolly RPG and the whole thing just isn't really fun for me. This is like, the 3rd old-school RPG I've had to put down and it really makes me feel like an idiot gamer, are there any mods or anything I can install to make the gameplay more action-y, or should I just download morroblivion/wait for Skywind?

Play what you want, however you want to play it imo. Skywind will probably be better than morrobolivion, though you're going to miss out on a lot of what makes morrowind special by not playing the original game.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

going by the latest video it looks like the Skywind crew are introducing some pretty sweeping landscape changes. ruh roh

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

sinking belle posted:

going by the latest video it looks like the Skywind crew are introducing some pretty sweeping landscape changes. ruh roh

link

link to this travesty

next i'll bet they're not going to have digitigrade khajiit and argonians

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoETrlXkhfs

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I say with absolutely no irony that Vvardenfel is mostly a brown wasteland and it should stay a brown wasteland.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

West gash now looks like a redrock australian savannah lol wtf

why isnt this playable in public yet? something tells me it isn't even close to finished despite him taking tons of patreon dollars

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Is this a surprise to anyone though? I always thought the whole catch with Skywind wasn't that they were making a faithful recreation of Morrowind a la Morroblivion but doing a kind of semi-remake in the Skyrim engine.

Also lmfao at the unbearably shrill midi violin that kicks in at 1:16. SO EPIC.

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013
i hope you can turn the voice acting off, i really do

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Titty Warlord posted:

i hope you can turn the voice acting off, i really do

Same but also you know it's not gonna happen. Skywind has been a vanity project since day one.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

SunAndSpring posted:

I got banned for a week on the Bethesda forums for saying Fallout 3 had bad and tiny textures and for saying, "I want whatever that guy is smoking" in a completely separate thread about funny YouTube videos. The reasoning for the former was because I was "lying and spreading misinformation" and the reasoning for the latter was, I poo poo you not, "advocating drug use".

i got banned for "politically charged insults" when I said that anyone that didn't have morrowind as their greatest game of all time was literally hitler

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
so it turns the Balmora mountains into actual mountains instead of just really steep hills?

cool.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Mortimer posted:

West gash now looks like a redrock australian savannah lol wtf

why isnt this playable in public yet? something tells me it isn't even close to finished despite him taking tons of patreon dollars

Hang on, is there someone making bank off this? Bethesda were pretty swift about C&Ding the twit who made a kickstarter for a sequel to that dark brotherhood mace-rape Skyrim mod, I bet this'll get shuttered equally quickly if the dude's taking donations in its name

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

sinking belle posted:

Hang on, is there someone making bank off this? Bethesda were pretty swift about C&Ding the twit who made a kickstarter for a sequel to that dark brotherhood mace-rape Skyrim mod, I bet this'll get shuttered equally quickly if the dude's taking donations in its name

wait was that about mace rape

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Whorelord posted:

i got banned for "politically charged insults" when I said that anyone that didn't have morrowind as their greatest game of all time was literally hitler

how dare you besmirch hitler

MasterSlowPoke fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 8, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

sinking belle posted:

its supporting the guy who's making "skywind media videos" http://www.patreon.com/SquallyDaBeanz this is the dumbest name ever so kinda sorta indirectly but I guess it isn't supporting the skywind team itself

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

I really like those armor skins. Glass and ebony should have looked like that from the get go.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
can't be worse than ESO, in which you can defeat and then cut Molag Bal in half with a loving sword given to you by Meridia.

http://youtu.be/cCZv590soek?t=12m55s

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

can't be worse than ESO, in which you can defeat and then cut Molag Bal in half with a loving sword given to you by Meridia.

Oh wow that is terrible. I've seen critters with more emotive death animations than that.

e: Yo why the gently caress is Meridia going on about how admirable it is that you have the ~Fire of the Divines~ or whatever, she's a Daedra.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Heavy Lobster posted:

Oh wow that is terrible. I've seen critters with more emotive death animations than that.

e: Yo why the gently caress is Meridia going on about how admirable it is that you have the ~Fire of the Divines~ or whatever, she's a Daedra.

Actually, she's just complicated. She's not quite Aedra or Daedra. She's like an Aedra that pulled out of creation last minute.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

Wow that's really loving terrible.

Dec 26, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

huwaaaaaaagh

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

SunAndSpring posted:

the colored rooms

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Seriously that poo poo is worse than Ocarina of loving Time.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Heavy Lobster posted:

I dunno. I guess they saw that she was hateful against undead things and said, "Gee, what a nice god!" despite the fact that she's a total bitch in Skyrim. Laziest poo poo.

e: Just remembered that she was listed as an enemy of Molag Bal in Daggerfall. Still stupid that a regular rear end human could banish a Daedra Prince.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 9, 2014

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

SunAndSpring posted:

I dunno. I guess they saw that she was hateful against undead things and said, "Gee, what a nice god!" despite the fact that she's a total bitch in Skyrim. Laziest poo poo.

e: Just remembered that she was listed as an enemy of Molag Bal in Daggerfall. Still stupid that a regular rear end human could banish a Daedra Prince.

It doesn't seem that outlandish to be able to banish a daedric prince's mundane incarnation. Given how much work Mehrunes Dagon had to do to incarnate in a remotely combat-ready form in Oblivion, I'd guess that most of the princes are appearing in really half-assed weak vessel bodies that they just conjure up quickly. It's probably comparatively easier to banish that back to their realm than it is to actually fight their true forms in Oblivion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
or none of the lore post Morrowind is internally consistent at all

it could be that

• Locked thread