Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Apocalypse World has a broadly appealing authorial voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This isn't being beaten into the ground.

XTOwl
Aug 22, 2013

Jimbozig posted:

But Burning Wheel is the greatest high-complexity RPG bar none, and as of the Gold edition where they finally figured out a reasonable positioning system there is nothing comparable to "Fight!" in the entire industry.

(I'm ready to be proven wrong on that last part, but I've never seen a fight system that has that level of tension and tactics without garbage rules cruft and without a grid and HP - and it's fast to play, too!)

The Riddle of Steel gives it a run for its money.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tollymain posted:

This isn't being beaten into the ground.

Goons have never taken jokes too far, not in the entire history of this forum.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Real talk: Apocalypse World is the best game released in the past four years.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

zachol posted:

Better even than Rifts?
I think Synnibarr - especially the kickstarted edition - wins the "probably not actually playable" award. So the world may never know.

Seriously, he was giving away copies of the new edition for free around new years. I got it and... I really, really, really don't get it. At least the 2nd edition had something resembling a structure.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Captain Foo posted:

Real talk: Apocalypse World is the best game released in the past four years.

Also real talk: PbtA clones (especially Dungeon World based ones) are the new d20 glut.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Well, I'd say more specifically, playbooks are the new d20 glut. DW is the PBTA game that really caught fire; I don't think most of the others (save Monsterhearts to some degree) really have caught on.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I really do wish people would stop making DW playbooks and make things like campaign frameworks and adventures and stuff. We need more GM-facing stuff.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I haven't done any in-depth analysis, but I'm getting the impression that people get really excited about the player-facing elements of PbtA, like the playbooks and the simple 2d6 resolution system, and want to make stuff with it without grasping the deeper parts of the system. I think someone did a pretty critical overview of tremulus for that very reason.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

I really do wish people would stop making DW playbooks and make things like campaign frameworks and adventures and stuff. We need more GM-facing stuff.

From what I have heard, DW playbooks outsell everything else or there'd be more.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Mwahaha, it's only a matter of time before Dungeon World becomes the next Pathfinder in terms of inundated 3rd Party Content!

It's all going according to plan.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I feel like a complaint of "there's been a glut of PbtA stuff, it's the new d20" feels a little silly considering the core of AW is actually, you know, good.

e: I mean, not like it's necessarily wrong or anything, sure. Newer ideas would be neat too.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gau posted:

Also real talk: PbtA clones (especially Dungeon World based ones) are the new d20 glut.

I'll take your word for it since I don't really play or run anything except core AW.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Foo your Island game is an example other PbP games should aspire to be

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gau posted:

Foo your Island game is an example other PbP games should aspire to be

Thank my players!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Evil Mastermind posted:

This is what I really want to do, like semi-self contained settings books that have their own unique flavor in terms of maybe a few classes and stuff. A bit like Inverse World, but I just figure I should start small with a playbook first.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm honestly surprised Lemon hasn't come in yet and bugged me about the crashed spaceship/space gods DW module I'm never going to finish.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ettin posted:

From what I have heard, DW playbooks outsell everything else or there'd be more.

Player-facing stuff has always outsold everything else, this is just as true now as it was 17 years ago and doubtlessly prior to that point.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Really, my wish is that people would use the PbtA core to explore different genres, rather than just D&D fantasy all over again. It's a really good core for narrative emulation, but I really don't think people are using that as well as they should be.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Asymmetrikon posted:

Really, my wish is that people would use the PbtA core to explore different genres, rather than just D&D fantasy all over again. It's a really good core for narrative emulation, but I really don't think people are using that as well as they should be.

Being worked on right now that I know of:
Several different people with several different flavors of Sci-fi
A 70s action movie game
A superhero game
A Modern Horror (not like Monster Hearts)

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I have been thinking about doing something in a Casablanca style but I am not coming up with any other good resources to draw on, are there any other books/movies that have that same kind of feel?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Benagain posted:

I have been thinking about doing something in a Casablanca style but I am not coming up with any other good resources to draw on, are there any other books/movies that have that same kind of feel?

Isn't that just film noir in general?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Asymmetrikon posted:

Do you feel that the basic moves are intended to be applicable to multiple genres?

I know that by core you probably meant 'fronts' and the tiered success mechanic, but whether the basic moves are transferable is something I'm having trouble deciding. I should probably just give it a shot in play.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

I feel like writing new basic moves is pretty much the first step towards making a new PbtA game. You can end up with the AW ones if they seem appropriate, but that should be a choice.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

Do you feel that the basic moves are intended to be applicable to multiple genres?

Absolutely not. The basic moves of a PbtA are its bread and butter; one of the main ways that the hack implements its own unique narrative structure. A good PbtA hack would make moves that encouraged and propelled the specific fiction it's going for.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
Casablanca isn't really film noir at all, although it toes the line at times. I'm not super-informed on that era, so nothing immediately comes to mind that exactly matches its tone, but more Bogart is probably a good place to start. To Have and Have Not, the Maltese Falcon (duh), the Big Sleep, he did a lot of stuff. You also might want to look at other movies from the WWII era. Night Train to Munich and Watch on the Rhine immediately come to mind and there's a lot more on Netflix.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

The Maltese Falcon is the Noirest movie possible.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Asymmetrikon posted:

Absolutely not. The basic moves of a PbtA are its bread and butter; one of the main ways that the hack implements its own unique narrative structure. A good PbtA hack would make moves that encouraged and propelled the specific fiction it's going for.

Okay, that makes sense. The AW basic moves as a whole are clearly pointing towards a jaded setting.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Why would you try to make a noir game when A Dirty World already exists and it's the best Greg Stolze game.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

JDCorley posted:

Why would you try to make a noir game when A Dirty World already exists and it's the best Greg Stolze game.

If by best you mean, like, 4th best. It has by far the worst conflict resolution rules he's come up with.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

DalaranJ posted:

Okay, that makes sense. The AW basic moves as a whole are clearly pointing towards a jaded setting.

Yes, there's a certain theme implied when everything is about manipulating, threatening, or :catdrugs:

Davin Valkri posted:

I hate elves and like girls exclusively?

This but unironically. A score of how well a campaign is going is a tally of the number of elf deaths. PC elves count double.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

A Catastrophe posted:

There is only one real elfgame.

:shobon:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
don't kill elves that's mean :mad:

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Asymmetrikon posted:

At the moment I'm working on a Jeeves and Wooster-style AW/Fiasco mashup that's coming along pretty nicely - no idea if there'd be much market for it but I'm looking forward to play testing it. Lots of bamboozling, intrigue, breaking into your great-aunt's bedroom to steal a dubious heirloom so you can stop someone from poaching her prize chef, etc.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm honestly surprised Lemon hasn't come in yet and bugged me about the crashed spaceship/space gods DW module I'm never going to finish.

I do actually need to sleep from time to time.

The GM-facing stuff doesn't really sell and isn't as fun as making player content, which is why there's a lot less of it. But yes, people should make more adventures and stuff.

How's Barrier Peaks coming along? :v:

Gau posted:

The volume is nowhere near the same. DW gets a lot of third party content because it's gotten a ton of exposure because it's D&D: baby's first indie game edition. AW gets a lot less third-party stuff (and none of it is published for-sale) despite AW playbooks being literally a quarter of the work needed to make a DW playbook. There's very few published PbtA games, and not that many ones that are playable but not published. Also, calling them "clones" is a bit stupid.

It is similar in that there's a lot of stuff being done by people who don't understand how to design for the system or what makes AW a good PbtA game, that part is true. The difference is that PbtA isn't a garbage system, so it's actually possible to make good PbtA stuff. :v:

Asymmetrikon posted:

An easy way to spot a bad PbtA hack is if the genre and medium are totally different from "Joss Whedon's Mad Max: the TV series" but the hack literally just reuses the AW basic moves.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jul 9, 2014

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Libertad! posted:

Mwahaha, it's only a matter of time before Dungeon World becomes the next Pathfinder in terms of inundated 3rd Party Content!

It's all going according to plan.

Not until we see Afghanistan World.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I would pay Fantasy loving Vietnam World.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

So would I. Wading into the dark depths of the world in search for plunder and forbidden secrets might make for a pretty cool storygame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Ettin posted:

I would pay Fantasy loving Vietnam World.

Isn't there already a PbtA loving Vietnam game?

• Locked thread