Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/epa-coal-rolling-short-answer-illegal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Now if only someone bothered to enforce it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I wish I could grasp how their brains work. "I hate legislation for cleaner air, so I'm going to purposefully make more pollution," just doesn't make any sense.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I would think it would be enforced heavily if they are able to get the giant fines for bypassing emissions. I know any time talk of removing the DPF on the new TDI comes up on certain website, it's crushed immediately.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
What about legitimate uses for fuel programmers? It's the same as it is for motorcycles - you can usually tease more power out of your vehicle if you spend some time messing with the fueling. Sucks that these idiots are well on their way to ruining that for everyone that wants legitimate gains. I guess they could just say "hey, don't allow maps to dump in 500% fuel when the owner is feeling inadequate" but I can't see how that'd be enforced.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Adjusting the fuel map for performance reasons puts you into sports car territory. Illinois has a process to submit an application for exemption, with the downside that the vehicle will only be legal on a race track.

I assume other states will have similar processes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I believe that almost all legislation of this type has an exemption of "don't take the piss or act like a knob and you'll probably be fine"

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Maybe across the pond. Legislators here will ask you why you're stealing piss while "coal rolling" and what knob you're using on your black box to produce so much smog.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Technically piss will help you harm the environment less, m'kay. :colbert:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_exhaust_fluid

(We do have legislation like that here on a load of things, but if you don't behave like a complete twunt, you'll probably never get looked at hard enough for it to matter)

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 8, 2014

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I think it will only go away when people make the societal change that it is just a stupid fad the way that under glow lights were a stupid fad (albeit less harmful for air quality). It's just a stupid dick wagging FYGM mentality.

Something similar can be said about texting while driving, only after a certain amount of damage caused will people begin to say 'you know it's just not worth it'. Here in Utah texting while driving is illegal and more recently have they added 'distracted driving' including manipulating a mobile device. Idiots still do it, but at least when they kill someone in an auto/pedestrian/head on collision accident there will be a law to come back to. The laws won't stop people, but eventually the body count will.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nocheez posted:

I wish I could grasp how their brains work. "I hate legislation for cleaner air, so I'm going to purposefully make more pollution," just doesn't make any sense.

The best theory I have is that it's similar to the attitude a former acquaintance of mine had. I was over his house and asked where the recycle bin was to dispose of a couple 2 liter bottles. He informed me he just throws those in the trash because "I have a right to do whatever I wish to this planet as long as I am on it." Essentially manifest destiny as applied to everything. He was pretty much a ridiculous conservative/libertarian who didn't believe in global warming either, but to have the mindset that you somehow have a right to foul up the planet when it would literally take no effort to do the least you can do (recycle plastic) just astounded me.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Angry_Ed posted:

The best theory I have is that it's similar to the attitude a former acquaintance of mine had. I was over his house and asked where the recycle bin was to dispose of a couple 2 liter bottles. He informed me he just throws those in the trash because "I have a right to do whatever I wish to this planet as long as I am on it." Essentially manifest destiny as applied to everything. He was pretty much a ridiculous conservative/libertarian who didn't believe in global warming either, but to have the mindset that you somehow have a right to foul up the planet when it would literally take no effort to do the least you can do (recycle plastic) just astounded me.

In a lot of places, it all goes to the same place regardless

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have the "right" to do a lot of lovely things too, but I don't because it would piss people off and I don't like being considered an rear end in a top hat.

That consideration for other living things seems to be that dude's missing component. :v:

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!
So off the coal-rolling train for a moment, can someone explain why the previous owner of my El Camino installed a roller cam in a solid lifter setup? This caused the thrust button to bind and start eating away at the front of the block, then the cam started being chewed up by the solid lifters.

Is this a thing? Is there a reason for doing that? I am the first to admit to not knowing much beyond the basics about engine internals, but I can't figure out WTF he was thinking.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Idiot that heard that "cammed" motors are fast, bought random performance cam and followed Google instructions to put it in?

I have an extremely low opinion of most POs, as most of mine have failed to grasp concepts as simple as "vacuum the loving car once in awhile" and "tires are important to maintain," so to go as far as to put a cam into the car is some NASA level rocket scientist poo poo that I cannot imagine them doing properly.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 8, 2014

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

InitialDave posted:

I believe that almost all legislation of this type has an exemption of "don't take the piss or act like a knob and you'll probably be fine"

At least for the Illinois example this is the case. Except for Chicago and East St. Louis since they apparently do emissions testing.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Nocheez posted:

This has nothing to do with "anti-enviromentalists".

Its just douchebags with trucks and they think its cool when they blow black smoke.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

D C posted:

Its just douchebags with trucks and they think its cool when they blow black smoke.

I've seen enough dim-witted facebook posts about rolling coal > hurr durr prius drivers > obama voters :smug: to make me think otherwise

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I wish Obama would make a speech tomorrow warning people about the dangers of putting a shotgun in your mouth and pulling the trigger, and why you shouldn't do it.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Or that guns are awesome and everyone should have several.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I have a little sympathy for diesel pickups only because I think the EPA has really raped them with emissions, it used to be possible to get close to 20mpg in an empty pickup (or so owners claim) now it's hard to even get 10mpg empty. Reducing the smoke with ULSD fuels just seems kinda pointless since older motors needed the sulphur to provide lubrication, and all the deadly toxic cancer soot used to just fall to the ground. Besides, everything you touch causes cancer these days.

That's just how I feel about the EPA regulations on diesel, way to strict and not enough time for manufacturers to adapt (thus leading to Cat ditching the OTR market. . .). Maybe this is just a terrible post about cars.

Despite my opinion of the EPA and diesel, I still think rolling coal is loving retarded and I pray for a melted piston for all the ignorant rednecks. I have equal disrespect for the damned hippies in their Priuses when they start preaching. I'm just mad at anyone who owns a vehicle that pollutes more or less than mine.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Crotch Fruit posted:

I have a little sympathy for diesel pickups only because I think the EPA has really raped them with emissions, it used to be possible to get close to 20mpg in an empty pickup (or so owners claim) now it's hard to even get 10mpg empty. Reducing the smoke with ULSD fuels just seems kinda pointless since older motors needed the sulphur to provide lubrication, and all the deadly toxic cancer soot used to just fall to the ground. Besides, everything you touch causes cancer these days.

I lived in India for 6 months where as far as I can tell particulate pollution was completely unregulated. I assure you, you want heavy regulations on soot. The city was completely loving covered in soot from the dirty diesels and 2 strokes.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

drgitlin posted:

Or that guns are awesome and everyone should have several.

Broken clock and all that.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

FatCow posted:

I lived in India for 6 months where as far as I can tell particulate pollution was completely unregulated. I assure you, you want heavy regulations on soot. The city was completely loving covered in soot from the dirty diesels and 2 strokes.

Counterpoint: India's population is :lol: high and (if TV is true) they still consider split rims safe, I would bet most of their diesels are based off of WW2 era designs.

What I mean to say is in the '90s and '00s I don't remember the US being covered in soot.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 9, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Crotch Fruit posted:

What I mean to say is in the '90s and '00s I don't remember the US being covered in soot.

In the 80's and 90's it was super common to get trapped in a cloud of diesel exhaust if you were behind a semi at a stop light. It definitely wasn't an omnipresent haze, but it stunk the place up when it came in through the vents.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Crotch Fruit posted:

Counterpoint: India's population is :lol: high and (if TV is true) they still consider split rims safe, I would bet most of their diesels are based of off WW2 era designs.

I think two stroke engines are a bigger culprit than diesels. Diesels are pretty expensive and only in larger vehicles, but any working slumdweller can save up enough for a two stroke scooter after a while and air quality in many places in the Indian subcontinent and SE Asia are pretty terrible as a result. In China the smaller cities with less industry and cars often have air quality just as bad or worse than the larger ones for the same reason - most larger cities ban two stroke engines outright.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Crotch Fruit posted:

That's just how I feel about the EPA regulations on diesel, way to strict and not enough time for manufacturers to adapt (thus leading to Cat ditching the OTR market. . .). Maybe this is just a terrible post about cars.

Despite my opinion of the EPA and diesel, I still think rolling coal is loving retarded and I pray for a melted piston for all the ignorant rednecks. I have equal disrespect for the damned hippies in their Priuses when they start preaching. I'm just mad at anyone who owns a vehicle that pollutes more or less than mine.

Maybe American makes just suck balls at making decent diesels because European and Asian brands seem to be able to make modern fuel efficient diesels that meet euro V whilst having preposterously awesome performance compared to cars from ten years ago.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Maybe American makes just suck balls at making decent diesels because European and Asian brands seem to be able to make modern fuel efficient diesels that meet euro V whilst having preposterously awesome performance compared to cars from ten years ago.

Last I checked euro diesel emmisions standards are nowhere near as strict as US standards. Also, your diesels are things like a TDI Jetta, American diesels are F-350 sized, does Europe have an F-350 or something comparable? Lastly, the GM350 diesel kinda pissed off everyone for a long time, but GM is trying to makeup for that disaster with the diesel Cruze.

And performance? Have you seen a Mercedes diesel from the 80s? :lol:

I don't hate all EPA regulations, I love clean air and oxygen. I just feel like the EPA freaked out and started waving around the C word to force diesel manufacturers to make big changes in a very short amount of time, so diesels have kinda gone to poo poo.

It's not the first time the EPA has screwed us, every motor from the late 70s and 80s sucked due to new polution and economy regulations. But at least back then they had a real reason to rush new regulations on auto makers.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

D C posted:

Right. Except they really do hate environmentalists and love to show it. Just look at any of the pages dedicated to rolling coal, selling stacks and stickers like "prius repellent" with arrows going to the stacks. Or the many YouTube videos of the same.

Also you fucks stop hating on two strokes.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

Also you fucks stop hating on two strokes.

Detroit Diesel two strokes are awesome even if they make mother nature cry, but the POS gasoline powered two stroke in your scooter sucks.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Crotch Fruit posted:

Detroit Diesel two strokes are awesome even if they make mother nature cry, but the POS gasoline powered two stroke in your scooter sucks.

If you can't appreciate two stroke motorcycles, I really don't know what to tell you.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

xzzy posted:

In the 80's and 90's it was super common to get trapped in a cloud of diesel exhaust if you were behind a semi at a stop light. It definitely wasn't an omnipresent haze, but it stunk the place up when it came in through the vents.
Yup. I'm lucky this only happened once, but what do you do with a school bus during the summer? You open the windows. All of them. That lets in a lot of air, see. Or maybe you don't see, but instead you go blind, because all that air you're letting in just turned black since that dump truck next to you got a green light to turn left.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 9, 2014

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Crotch Fruit posted:

Come to London, walk around in the city for a while, then blow your nose. See how much soot doesn't fall to the ground. Live near a largish road, wash part of the outside, see how much soot doesn't fall to the ground. Drive your car or ride a motorbike, after a few weeks, lick your finger and run it down the front, see how much soot doesn't fall to the ground. Think about every lovely poorly maintained diesel you see on the motorway shits soot out every time they hit the accelerator. It is loving terrible and diesels are loving terrible full stop.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Throatwarbler posted:

I think two stroke engines are a bigger culprit than diesels. Diesels are pretty expensive and only in larger vehicles, but any working slumdweller can save up enough for a two stroke scooter after a while and air quality in many places in the Indian subcontinent and SE Asia are pretty terrible as a result. In China the smaller cities with less industry and cars often have air quality just as bad or worse than the larger ones for the same reason - most larger cities ban two stroke engines outright.

Yup. When I visited China a few years back a ton of the scooters in Beijing were electric. This was due to some kind of government program. There were still a lot of fossil fuel scooters on the streets but I think they had basically banned new sales.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Slavvy posted:

As mentioned, US has much tighter particulate and NOX emissions standards thanks to places like LA being covered by smog (though less than 20 years ago thanks to tighter standards, though in the summer, I'm only a couple miles from Mt. Baldy, but you wouldn't know it looking out my office window).

blk
Dec 19, 2009

I saw this in DC last weekend. Not a government vehicle, confirmed private owner blocking sidewalk ramp, crosswalk, hydrant.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Linedance posted:

Come to London, walk around in the city for a while, then blow your nose. See how much soot doesn't fall to the ground. Live near a largish road, wash part of the outside, see how much soot doesn't fall to the ground. Drive your car or ride a motorbike, after a few weeks, lick your finger and run it down the front, see how much soot doesn't fall to the ground. Think about every lovely poorly maintained diesel you see on the motorway shits soot out every time they hit the accelerator. It is loving terrible and diesels are loving terrible full stop.

The amount of soot and general air quality in London is astonishingly awful and would send your average Californian environmentalist into a tizzy. I recall having an aircon unit I ran for just a couple weeks per year there and it made its intake black with soot.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

xzzy posted:

The city I grew up in - El Paso TX - used to have an Asarco copper/lead/zinc smelter. Growing up, there was always a thick brown haze over the city, especially in the winter. Which everyone blamed on people in Juarez MX (which borders El Paso, with the border about a mile from Asarco) burning tires to stay warm in the winter, and just kind of shrugged about it in the summer.

The plant shut down in 1999, and surprise, almost all of the haze went away within 6 months or so. They also had to do a ton of cleanup of neighborhoods within a few miles of the plant - an old friend of mine had both Asarco and the EPA come out, sample the soil in her yard, and immediately tore up all the soil (okay, sand and rocks) in the entire neighborhood. Same thing happened in her parents neighborhood a couple of miles away - they found lead levels that were hilariously above safe levels. "Smeltertown" was actually a company-built city next to the plant in the late 1800s, which was evacuated in the 1970s thanks to all the lead contamination. It even has its own cemetery.

Anyway, to contribute, GBS is leaking into license plates now :ohdear:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Crotch Fruit posted:

Last I checked euro diesel emmisions standards are nowhere near as strict as US standards. Also, your diesels are things like a TDI Jetta, American diesels are F-350 sized, does Europe have an F-350 or something comparable? Lastly, the GM350 diesel kinda pissed off everyone for a long time, but GM is trying to makeup for that disaster with the diesel Cruze.

And performance? Have you seen a Mercedes diesel from the 80s? :lol:

I don't hate all EPA regulations, I love clean air and oxygen. I just feel like the EPA freaked out and started waving around the C word to force diesel manufacturers to make big changes in a very short amount of time, so diesels have kinda gone to poo poo.

It's not the first time the EPA has screwed us, every motor from the late 70s and 80s sucked due to new polution and economy regulations. But at least back then they had a real reason to rush new regulations on auto makers.

So firstly, I decided to look up california emissions standards vs euro V. California allows less NOx, euro V allows less CO. Most critically to your argument, california actually allows more particulate matter than euro V. Only slightly, but it's still more, so I think it's not unfair to say that california emissions standards have rough parity with euro V.

Now for some examples. The Toyota (not a fancy european brand at all) 1VD engine happily meets euro V whilst pumping out 260bhp and 650nm of torque; I can't imagine this being considered insufficient for the likes of an F150 or similar but it isn't particularly difficult or costly to scale an engine up if need be, were they so inclined.

Moving on to actual 'european' makes, BMW's N57 engine in it's most potent form makes 380-odd horsepower and 740nm of torque. This seems preposterously powerful to my simple non-american brain but maybe that isn't enough? Ok. Audi's V12 as found in the Q7 makes around 500hp and 1000nm of torque. I'm 90% certain this is enough to transport a ford F350 to walmart and back again with a bunch of useless garbage in the tray.

But what do I know? These engines have piss-poor performance as evidenced by mercedes diesel engines from the 80's. Your argument is foolproof. There is no possible way these engines can do what they do whilst meeting euro V (sometimes euro VI!) standards, let alone be slightly tweaked to pass californian emissions standards. Keeping in mind I'm focusing on california here, not the US in general which I understand is generally a lot slacker on emissions. And they somehow have excellent consumption figures whilst dragging around horribly heavy and over-complicated vehicles designed to be safer than a bomb shelter. But none of this matters because they don't 'get' californian emissions standards and if only they knew how hamstrung american makes are when they try to build diesels because making a decent diesel engine for a passenger car is completely different to a pick-up truck because you see :rolleyes:

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jul 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So why don't they do it then? Because they hate America?

Pretty much everything that you can get outside North America that you can't get in North American basically boils down to the fact that Americans get the cheapest cars in the world, and no one in America is willing to pay the prices that Europeans pay in order to get slightly softer dash covers or diesel engines or whatever the bugbear of the day is.