Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

JFC posted:

Comedy is always at its best when you work within the parameters of language restrictions.

Nevermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...

AxeManiac posted:

One thing I find, is if a joke enough funny enough, you just gotta explain it enough times until people understand, then boy howdy, will they be laughing.

Thank you, Mark Twain.

And agreed. In which case Todd Glass was masterful on Norm's podcast (explaining the parameters of comedy for all of us boors).

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
poo poo yes. Bob Saget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peDLWyHegfI

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Awesome. Can't wait to listen.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Adam Eget is great he understands and works perfectly with Norm

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Those thick rimmed glasses really don't suit Norm's fat loving mockery of a face.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
But they go well with his big JUICY...

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
But you can't appreciate that if your name isn't Adam Eget...

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

i love how they stumbled into the holocaust denial poo poo, loving hilarious

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

DJ BK posted:

i love how they stumbled into the holocaust denial poo poo, loving hilarious

Holy poo poo both those shows were amazing, such a clusterfuck a Norm keeps poking at it.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
This week is Dave Koechner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZIsYyuN35Y

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
That was pretty rough. Koechner seemed pretty delicate and irritable

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
I have never found Koechner enjoyable. I can't stand the way he talks, and don't find him funny.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Hahaha, this is the best thing to come out of the episode:

David Koechner's Wikipedia page posted:

He also strongly admires Creedence Clearwater Revival, whom he has described as "the American Beatles"[27], although he downplayed his appreciation for them in an interview with Norm Macdonald.[28]

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
yeah David Koechner was the worst.

I kind of don't get why he doesn't have better guests. Wouldn't most comics love to be on a show with Norm? He must be choosing his buddies or whatever.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

fuf posted:

I kind of don't get why he doesn't have better guests. Wouldn't most comics love to be on a show with Norm? He must be choosing his buddies or whatever.

Adam Eget must do all the bookings

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me

fuf posted:

It wouldn't have been bad if Norm wasn't so reticent and deferential, but for whatever reason he seems to hold Koechner is high esteem. When Koechner started to get noticeably irate he should have given him the Todd Glass treatment.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

fuf posted:

lol considering he's a huge flake and hes probably doing this podcast for like no money the guests are fuckin amazing. Koechner is the first actual misstep this season really from a booking perspective

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fly McCool posted:

It wouldn't have been bad if Norm wasn't so reticent and deferential, but for whatever reason he seems to hold Koechner is high esteem. When Koechner started to get noticeably irate he should have given him the Todd Glass treatment.

I liked the Todd Glass interview. He was an extrovert, and he kept in good spirits, never getting legitimately angry. In the end he gave Norm a lot of material to work with. I don't know much about Koechner, but he was just passive and sort of abrasive so there wasn't much of a potential for chemistry between them.

fuf posted:

I dunno, by and large his guests have been great, haven't they? Not all interviews can be hits, and even large network talk shows end up with lots of stinkers.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
They shared anecdotes they already knew as friends before and said they hung out a bit in the past so perhaps the interview chemistry wasn't there but they seemed somewhat close.

I guess Norm just didn't want to bust the balls of a closer friend than Todd Glass. I'm just spit-balling though.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

manyak posted:

Koechner is the first actual misstep this season really from a booking perspective

I felt like Simon Helberg was horribly misbooked and he himself realized it about thirty seconds into his interview.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me

steinrokkan posted:

I liked the Todd Glass interview. He was an extrovert, and he kept in good spirits, never getting legitimately angry. In the end he gave Norm a lot of material to work with. I don't know much about Koechner, but he was just passive and sort of abrasive so there wasn't much of a potential for chemistry between them.

I think the Todd Glass interview was my favorite from this season as well, precisely because Norm dug into him so hard. And as silly as I find Todd Glass, you're right; he gets a lot of points for rolling with the punches.

I'm hoping they book Roseanne soon because she's has been vilified for being "crazy" or whatever and Norm seems to have a pretty interesting history, at least anecdotally, as a writer on that show.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

It could also be considered a bad idea to let Russel Brand appear in any form of media.

I got sort of a perverse kick out of watching an idiot condescend a genius, to be honest. Watching Brand spout off on those half-baked diatribes about "acquiring a superficial education", sexual liberation while missing Norm's jokes about being a prude, and transcendental meditation/spirituality was pretty hilarious. And the youtube comments from all the Brand fans in awe of the man's garrulous displays of pretension ruled.

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 9, 2014

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
It could also be considered a bad idea to let Russel Brand appear in any form of media.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Advice posted:

I felt like Simon Helberg was horribly misbooked and he himself realized it about thirty seconds into his interview.

I thought that was last season, but yeah that episode was a nightmare and by far the worst norm has done unless i blocked something out of my memory

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure helberg was last season.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
"So you don't understand the word favorite?" from Norm was great, he was busting this guy's balls all night.

"Sounds like an Agatha Christie novel"

Bloody Holly
May 29, 2007

the George Washington of breadfucking
As bad a fit as Helberg was, it was amusing to watch him quickly realize how in over his head he was, and how clearly he was not enjoying himself.
Koechner was just bland.

Bloody Holly
May 29, 2007

the George Washington of breadfucking

Fly McCool posted:

I'm hoping they book Roseanne soon because she's has been vilified for being "crazy" or whatever and Norm seems to have a pretty interesting history, at least anecdotally, as a writer on that show.

What if Norm came to the set early and found Rosanne washing her fat rear end in the sink?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Who Adam?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I've heard David Koechner be relaxed and funny on other podcasts, I don't know why he was so defensive here.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
I thought Koechner was funny.

Norms podcast is weird for a comedian interview podcast cuz it draws a crowd that doesn't know who Dave Koechner and Todd Glass are. Theyre both awesome and good but I guess the reason they arent more well known might be the same as the reason people didnt like them on the show.

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 9, 2014

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Who doesn't know who Dave Keochner is? His name might not be recognizable, but even North Koreans have seen Anchorman enough times to quote it from start to finish.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me

Bundt Cake posted:

I thought Koechner was funny.

Norms podcast is weird for a comedian interview podcast cuz it draws a crowd that doesn't know who Dave Koechner and Todd Glass are. Theyre both awesome and good but I guess the reason they arent more well known might be the same as the reason people didnt like them on the show.

Yeah, nobody knows Koechner: co-star of the most ubiquitous Will Ferrell franchise.

Bloody Holly posted:

What if Norm came to the set early and found Rosanne washing her fat rear end in the sink?

That'd be fine, so long as she was eating a Reuben sandwich.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Bloody Holly posted:

As bad a fit as Helberg was, it was amusing to watch him quickly realize how in over his head he was, and how clearly he was not enjoying himself.
Koechner was just bland.

And I would actually argue that Helberg could tell a story well, I legitimately re-listen to hear his Michael Jackson and Russian kids in Karate class stories. Koechner had to have Norm lead him by the hand everywhere to be interesting at all.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Fly McCool posted:

Yeah, nobody knows Koechner: co-star of the most ubiquitous Will Ferrell franchise.

There are people on this page who were saying they dont know him and dont understand why Norm thinks hes funny. Im not trying to say theyd think hes funny if they knew who he was or that they should know who he is.

Haha one of them was you

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 9, 2014

Eb
May 6, 2003

Advice posted:

And I would actually argue that Helberg could tell a story well, I legitimately re-listen to hear his Michael Jackson and Russian kids in Karate class stories. Koechner had to have Norm lead him by the hand everywhere to be interesting at all.

Hedberg episode was way better than the Koechner one, legitimately good IMO.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
It's too bad Koechner doesn't seem to want to play along.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Bundt Cake posted:

There are people on this page who were saying they dont know him and dont understand why Norm thinks hes funny. Im not trying to say theyd think hes funny if they knew who he was or that they should know who he is.

Haha one of them was you

I don't think anyone said they don't know who he is, just that he wasn't funny.

I think the Nick Swardson one was one of the best - you could tell Norm thought he was really funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Wow I thought this Koechner guy was from Pete and Pete but that was a different guy.

Just when you thought you knew someone...

• Locked thread