Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

No it's literally that guy I need to beat to open the door. My current example is Jiang Wei in Escape from Chengdu. All other officers are dead and the objective marker is on him. So yeah, bug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I have had that happen a few times to me, and it sucks.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Usually I just ride away a bit to make them despawn and hope they respawn outside when I return, that usually works for me.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Pimpmust posted:

Speaking of which, any updated numbers on the DW8 PC front, especially after the Steam summer sale?

It's not sales as such, but: http://steamcharts.com/app/278080

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
That Happened to me on the final stage of Lu Bu's Story. I hit Zhu Xu with a musou so hard he went flying over the gate he was keyed to opening. I had to restart the level.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The rake in DW8 sounds cool, with different properties based on the terrain you are standing on, but unless I'm doing something very wrong, it may be the worst weapon in the game, and definitely the worst musou.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
BTW if anyone wants to SOS some DWG I'm Rakuguren on PSN

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Anonymous Robot posted:

The rake in DW8 sounds cool, with different properties based on the terrain you are standing on, but unless I'm doing something very wrong, it may be the worst weapon in the game, and definitely the worst musou.

The rake is far from the worst weapon in the game.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Maleketh posted:

The rake is far from the worst weapon in the game.

Every time someone says a weapon is the worst just post a pic of this rear end in a top hat:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The dude is great for being incredibly gay at all times, actually.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

a cartoon duck posted:

The dude is great for being incredibly gay at all times, actually.

Bi.

Li Dian don't discriminate.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
when a bi person is with a girl, hes being hetero. When he's on some dude, that's being gay.

He spends a lot of time macking on dudes, im just saying

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Davincie posted:

No it's literally that guy I need to beat to open the door. My current example is Jiang Wei in Escape from Chengdu. All other officers are dead and the objective marker is on him. So yeah, bug

Sometimes you can bug yourself through a gate as well. Try that if riding away and coming back doesn't work and before you restart. Usually I've glitched through near the sides while using a jumpimg attack or a charge attack with some running/movement in it. The Arm Blade/canoe has a couple moves that work well.

It's weird. Of the 5 or so times I've done it, twice there was a "rubberband" effect that tried to drag me back through to the "right" side of the gate, and the other times I could just run around like usual.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I'm sorry, the worst weapon is the Crossbow, or whatever is the correct term for that hunk of junk Lianshi tries to pass off as her EX weapon.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pureauthor posted:

I'm sorry, the worst weapon is the Crossbow, or whatever is the correct term for that hunk of junk Lianshi tries to pass off as her EX weapon.
The worst part is there are all kinds of awesome bows in both Dynasty and Samurai Warriors. It's too bad they nerfed Inahime's R1 bow attack after Orochi 2, that thing was ridiculous.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I actually kind of like the crossbow. The flame bow sure is weird. The idea of a highly mobile bow is cool, but it's hard to attack who you actually want to, so I usually just do the XXXY combo that lets you shoot multiple homing arrows.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Anonymous Robot posted:

I actually kind of like the crossbow. The flame bow sure is weird. The idea of a highly mobile bow is cool, but it's hard to attack who you actually want to, so I usually just do the XXXY combo that lets you shoot multiple homing arrows.

O my god, I loving love the flame bow for the exact reason that you can hop around and aim your shots. I got used to it in a snap and it made the crossbow even worse, if that is believable. I mean, the strong attack where you aim is kinda terrible, just like Wang Yuanji's second EX attack is terrible, but as a whole I like the weapon so much more than the crossbow. DW is not a game for planting your feet.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Throwing Knives are pretty ridiculous when you've leveled up enough. The rake is probably my favorite weapon though and I wont hear poo poo talked about it. :colbert:

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
wow kenshin isn't playable in SB4. And Musashi and a few others are missing. What is this horseshit Capcom :mad:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Throwing knives kind of suck until you get some good elemental effects on them, though. They're fun to use but the lack of stagger or knockback can mean you just get smacked in the face sometimes.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Selane posted:

Every time someone says a weapon is the worst just post a pic of this rear end in a top hat:

I spent some time with Li Dian yesterday (he's my bro, he feels safe around me) and I don't think I would even put the wheeled halberd in the top 5 worst weapons in the game. It's certainly boring and not incredibly strong but if you just want to smack some dudes for some OK damage right in front of you then it's way better than the crossbow, wing blades, magic carpet, and horsehair whip. I'd also rank it higher than the chain blade but maybe if I spent more time with it I'd change my mind.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Jibo posted:

I spent some time with Li Dian yesterday (he's my bro, he feels safe around me) and I don't think I would even put the wheeled halberd in the top 5 worst weapons in the game. It's certainly boring and not incredibly strong but if you just want to smack some dudes for some OK damage right in front of you then it's way better than the crossbow, wing blades, magic carpet, and horsehair whip. I'd also rank it higher than the chain blade but maybe if I spent more time with it I'd change my mind.

You are a crazy person.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Stelas posted:

Throwing knives kind of suck until you get some good elemental effects on them, though. They're fun to use but the lack of stagger or knockback can mean you just get smacked in the face sometimes.

Throwing knives, tarot cards, and flying swords build up your musou and rage meters ridiculously fast. They're a perfect "other" weapon for most characters. Use your EX weapon (if it's good) for fighting officers and knives/whatever on the crowds to build up your meters.
Really works well in Ultimate mode with built-up weapons. Especially if you use somebody that has a healing musou (there are 3? Maybe 4?).

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Jibo posted:

Don't be talking poo poo about the horsehair whip. C3 murders huge mobs once you get the elements on it since it's got the vacuum effect.

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

wow kenshin isn't playable in SB4. And Musashi and a few others are missing. What is this horseshit Capcom :mad:

Yeah, some characters didn't survive the transition from SB2 to SB3/SB4 (which blows) and some of those that did make it were demoted to NPC in SB3, made half-assed PCs in SB3 Utage and then re-demoted back to NPC in SB4 (or in the case of poor Hojo, removed entirely) which is only marginally better. I imagine they did this to get people to buy the inevitable expansion but it could also be simply because it's Capcom.

I love the Basara games more than the Dynasty/Samurai Warriors games because they're way more absurd and OTT (although I've noticed Dynasty Warriors has been slowly edging in that direction for a while which is awesome) but I do feel SB4, Utage and, to a lesser extent, SB3 were a bit half-assed. While they have graphics and gameplay improvements over the other games, my favourite is still SB2: Heroes.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Ghost-Slug posted:

I love the Basara games more than the Dynasty/Samurai Warriors games because they're way more absurd and OTT (although I've noticed Dynasty Warriors has been slowly edging in that direction for a while which is awesome)

I don't know about the other DW games, but in 8, rather than being executed by the Wei army, when captured, Guan Yu congratulates the Wei officers on being incredible warriors before ascending to heaven in a pillar of light which parts the storm that'd been flooding the battlefield.

Gan Yi, a popular Taoist priest who spoke out against the warmongering of Sun Ce, was declared a sorcerer and executed by the same. In DW8, he's a cackling warlock who can only be killed by destroying his magic cauldron.

Sometimes I like to imagine what'd it be like if Koei were to make a Warriors title based on the American Civil War.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Sometimes I like to imagine what'd it be like if Koei were to make a Warriors title based on the American Civil War.

I have been wanting Civil Warriors since 3XL came out.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Cyborg General Sherman!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I've recently picked up DW8, and it's quite a bit of fun. However, I've got one question: How are you supposed to deal with the various siege weapons, especially Juggernauts? If I stay at a distance to avoid them they just knock me over forever with their fireball, and if I flank and get in close they do their AoE attack which also knocks me back. Is there some kind of trick to them or is it really just a matter of popping rage and going to town on them while you take the damage on the chin?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Ulysses S. Grant is an extremely fat idiot, and has a strong attack where he takes a swig of whiskey and breathes fire. A slave reflects on the gallantry of Robert E. Lee, who nods sagely upon hearing of his tearful defection to the Union.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I can't begin to imagine how offensive the game would be to some people.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

Jibo posted:

I haven't played XL so I don't know about the magic carpet, but the wingblades IMO are a much better weapon than the Wheeled Halberd.
I made a post a while back (I've only posted like 5 times in the topic, so hitting the [?] by my name should show it easily enough) about using the Wheeled Halberd - comparatively, the Wing Blade has three major advantages - comparatively better attack area, good combo-ability and dash type. Yeah, it's a bad weapon if you don't like going :rice:, but at the same time once you learn to control it the weapon is okay, at least. For ez mode, go c3>dash>c3>...>Musou 2.

But yeah, Wheel>Crossbow, unless you do something crazy like... I don't even know, but it involves switching into the weapon and trying to insta-fill your musou and then murdering everything.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Both campaigns feature a section focused on the war in the west, allowing the game to incorporate gleeful prospectors, smarmy cowboys, and very buff Native Americans that fight with totem poles and tomahawks.

Thomas Hindman, a CSA officer with a wispy beard, a fauxhawk, and a slanted bandana, confronts Gustavus DeRussy, a Union captain who wears a kepi and has silver eyes. "Watch it, gramps! You're cramping my style!" "You insolent fool...Order will be restored."

An extra campaign is a loose retelling of the movie Glory.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

"You insolent fool...Order will be restored."

Shoulda used imbecile instead.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Perestroika posted:

I've recently picked up DW8, and it's quite a bit of fun. However, I've got one question: How are you supposed to deal with the various siege weapons, especially Juggernauts? If I stay at a distance to avoid them they just knock me over forever with their fireball, and if I flank and get in close they do their AoE attack which also knocks me back. Is there some kind of trick to them or is it really just a matter of popping rage and going to town on them while you take the damage on the chin?

Juggernauts suck. If you don't have a ranged weapon and no musou your best bet is killing it from horse back

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Alternatively you just lure Zhuge Liang's wife away and beat her, nine times out of ten juggernauts are her shtick and they stop when she stops.

I did Shu after Wei and Wu and I was extremely disappointed there wasn't a mission that was literally just spawning juggernauts everywhere, it's the only thing Shu does that's not BENEVOLENCE.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
God yes juggernauts are basically the worst thing in the game. Always save your rage/musous to destroy them or Zhuge Liang's wife.

I'm really enjoying Gundam Reborn so far, even after having played 3 to death. Varying battles with the battleship mechanics and mobile fields centered on aces was a great idea, and now that every suit has a big AoE charged weapon attack that sets off chain reactions nobody feels really gimped at clearing out grunts and capturing fields.

Also Double X's air super is completely ridiculous and usually captures a field by itself if you wait for enough grunts to spawn in.

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy

Anonymous Robot posted:

I don't know about the other DW games, but in 8, rather than being executed by the Wei army, when captured, Guan Yu congratulates the Wei officers on being incredible warriors before ascending to heaven in a pillar of light which parts the storm that'd been flooding the battlefield.

Gan Yi, a popular Taoist priest who spoke out against the warmongering of Sun Ce, was declared a sorcerer and executed by the same. In DW8, he's a cackling warlock who can only be killed by destroying his magic cauldron.
Haha, yeah I've played all the DWs bar 6. Guan Yu's ascension to heaven was hilarious, although as a Lu Meng fan I'm also partial to the Wu version. Isn't Sun Ce being cursed by sorcery from the novel?

I've really been enjoying DW8XLCE so far. I got it on Steam and have been delighted by Huang Gai's new weapon! I'm currently finishing up the second half of Ambition mode with a bear riding, boat wielding Dong Zhuo. His other weapon is, of course, the pugil sticks for air special movement and magical girl sparkles. :sparkles:

Still, in terms of the absurd and over-the-top, Sengoku Basara is on a different level.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

...giant Nobunaga and Hideoshi shooting laser beams out of their eyes at the crowds?

Well, gently caress guess I do need to find a copy of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Stelas posted:

For giggles I dumped Velocity 10 on some knives (so Jubilation 10, Cyclone 10, Velocity 10, and 3 elemental effects) and they are just ridiculous.

I'm still trying to get everyone's 4-star EX weapon maxed out, because I am crazy, but I really understand the love for throwing knives now.