Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Py-O-My posted:

DC's legalization campaign has attracted the gaze of Kevin Sabet, cofounder of Project SAM, author of "Reefer Sanity", and noted lying sack of poo poo:

http://www.tiedc2014.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etuPF1yJRzg

"Our city." Right. gently caress you, Kevin.

Just saw that one pop up today too.

Any suggestions on how to attack the credibility of this site by pointing out it's a bunch of carpetbagger astroturf?

I do like how they're grasping for straws; they seriously list some of their primary concerns as "marijuana vending machines" and "edible labels that resemble candy". I'm not saying that those issues don't raise questions of consumer safety, proper labeling, trademark law, etc. but when these are the things you lead with it shows a real lack of drama.

Note the page starts off with a quote from Nora Volkow, noted drug alarmist and great-granddaughter of Leon Trotsky. I figure they can just bounce back and forth citing each other for a few weeks in a pretty little feedback loop.

EDIT: Wow, there's an impressive amount of question-dodging throughout that whole page, attempts to conflate things happening in other states as being immediate pressures on DC, and of course lovely "when did you stop beating your wife?" bits like We need schools and healthcare, not more drugs!

EDIT2: Cheeky little thing he is: "Kevin A. Sabet, a co-founder of Project SAM (Smart Approaches to Marijuana), said he also expects a strong grass-roots effort against full legalization in the District" (WaPo link)

Well I expect a strong grass roots effort to get circa-1994 Winona Ryder on my junk, and by sheer coincidence here's my somebody's brand-new website: https://www.get1994wi-ryonttfasjunk.com

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Well, the time Sabet got his bullshit called by the House Oversight Committee is pretty good and makes the total vacuousness of his arguments abundantly clear. It was linked in this thread a few months ago.

Py-O-My
Jan 12, 2001

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Any suggestions on how to attack the credibility of this site by pointing out it's a bunch of carpetbagger astroturf?

It's pretty obvious that this is a front for SAM and not a real organization, and I wish someone could find out where SAM's money comes from and who else is running it. Recently Kevin has been getting butthurt about this:

https://twitter.com/KevinSabet/status/486209432649363456
https://twitter.com/KevinSabet/status/486397875652280321

If SAM is really a non-profit then they should have filed a Form 990 with the IRS.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Well I expect a strong grass roots effort to get circa-1994 Winona Ryder on my junk, and by sheer coincidence here's my somebody's brand-new website: https://www.get1994wi-ryonttfasjunk.com

https://www.get1994wi-ryonttfasjunk.com

You're loving welcome. :colbert:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 9, 2014

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Py-O-My posted:

It's pretty obvious that this is a front for SAM and not a real organization, and I wish someone could find out where SAM's money comes from and who else is running it. Recently Kevin has been getting butthurt about this:

https://twitter.com/KevinSabet/status/486209432649363456
https://twitter.com/KevinSabet/status/486397875652280321

If SAM is really a non-profit then they should have filed a Form 990 with the IRS.

Wow.... dude is whiny.

He's upset about this coverstory in The Nation which describes all the perverse investment in anti-marijuana efforts from companies making opiates, and profiting from mandatory drug treatment and drug money confiscations. Real pro-read: http://www.thenation.com/article/180493/anti-pot-lobbys-big-bankroll?page=full

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Py-O-My posted:

DC's legalization campaign has attracted the gaze of Kevin Sabet, cofounder of Project SAM, author of "Reefer Sanity", and noted lying sack of poo poo:

http://www.tiedc2014.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etuPF1yJRzg

"Our city." Right. gently caress you, Kevin.

I notice that little tirade conveniently omits how many people die from weed a year. I'll post victims I know of here:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

razorrozar posted:

I notice that little tirade conveniently omits how many people die from weed a year. I'll post victims I know of here:

http://www.wnd.com/2000/10/6324/

We need a smiley that's a combination of :smug: and :smith:

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Good gracious, you don't mess around, do you?

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

WA began legal sales today.

Lacrosse fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 9, 2014

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Lacrosse posted:

WA began legal sales today.

That's quite a sight :unsmith:

Over in Bellevue, two shops were about to open literally across the street from each other. That's a no-no since shops need to be 1000 feet away from each other according to I-502. The shop that got their permit first gets to stay, but the other one's gotta' move.

And of course, the WSLCB had issued permits to them knowing they were going to be next to each other anyway. :downs:

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
That labeling looks really good! Assuming it's all accurate, that is.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

LuciferMorningstar posted:

That labeling looks really good! Assuming it's all accurate, that is.

Since it is for consumption, doesn't it have to be? Is there a government body (FDA?) who oversee's this yet?

Can someone who knows marijuana tell us if that price on the receipt is reasonable?

Last question. Since recreational MJ is now legal there, can you grow and smoke your own without worry now, or is there some strange thing where the mj has to be purchased at a store like 'cannabis city'?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dr.Caligari posted:

Can someone who knows marijuana tell us if that price on the receipt is reasonable?

I don't know that strain so I dunno if it's mid or exo. For a street price comparison from my area (upstate South Carolina), $40 for 2 grams of exo is reasonable, $40 for 2 grams of mid is on the high side.

I'm probably safe in assuming it's not reg, and no one I know buys reg anyway, but $40 for 2 grams of reg would be ludicrous.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
That looks exceptionally overpriced - at the good medical dispensaries in WA (The CPC #1 :toot:), that quality goes for closer to $9-12 a gram, $15 tops. It's probably the correct price for the legal stuff though – there's no getting around the absurd tax rate, which is going to keep the illegal market going and undermine this whole process.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

wheez the roux posted:

That looks exceptionally overpriced - at the good medical dispensaries in WA (The CPC #1 :toot:), that quality goes for closer to $9-12 a gram, $15 tops. It's probably the correct price for the legal stuff though – there's no getting around the absurd tax rate, which is going to keep the illegal market going and undermine this whole process.

You can't draw much of a conclusion based on current prices since it's the first few days of legal retail sales and there isn't nearly enough legal weed to go around. While people are enthusiastic about the novelty of walking into a store and buying weed, stores could probably sell it for $20 to $30 a gram and still run out of stock quickly. The enthusiasm will taper and suppliers will increase production over time. We'll have a much better picture of things in 6 months to a year. Also, 21.5% THC is pretty loving potent, so there's some good bang-for-the-buck there.

Spoondick fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 9, 2014

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Spoondick posted:

You can't draw much of a conclusion based on current prices since it's the first few days of legal retail sales and there isn't nearly enough legal weed to go around. While people are enthusiastic about the novelty of walking into a store and buying weed, stores could probably sell it for $20 to $30 a gram and still run out of stock quickly. The enthusiasm will taper and suppliers will increase production over time. We'll have a much better picture of things in 6 months to a year. Also, 21.5% THC is pretty loving potent, so there's some good bang-for-the-buck there.

Anecdotally from friends working in stores and other friends shopping at them, there were way more journalists out to talk to people buying than actual people buying. I didn't hear about anyone running out, or even being low in stock fwiw

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

wheez the roux posted:

Anecdotally from friends working in stores and other friends shopping at them, there were way more journalists out to talk to people buying than actual people buying. I didn't hear about anyone running out, or even being low in stock fwiw

Then it's just retail people trying to gouge on the first day since that worked in Colorado. You may see prices drop even faster than there.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

wheez the roux posted:

I also don't think its fair to compare to WA's wild west of dispensaries. I seriously doubt people are going to continue dealing with the black market once more stores open and production really gets rolling. For an example of that see cigarettes where its relatively easy to just order them cheap and tax free online, but people still purchase them mostly in gas stations. Man I really like that packaging, food packaging should be like that.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 9, 2014

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The "Black Market" is a scare term similiar to "drug dealer". It's just some guy you call up or look up on Craigslist, once you deal with him the first time, its as easy as ordering Seemless. Actually easier because you just have to text him. And considering that where-ever they are getting their product currently is absolutely illegal, I don't see how legalization will change that.

Also why can't retail prices be easily looked up online? Is there some dumb law in CO or WA that prevents retail stores from having websites, or are they just hard to find because of the current "reefer madness"

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Weedmaps lists tons of Denver prices.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Powercrazy posted:

The "Black Market" is a scare term similiar to "drug dealer". It's just some guy you call up or look up on Craigslist, once you deal with him the first time, its as easy as ordering Seemless. Actually easier because you just have to text him. And considering that where-ever they are getting their product currently is absolutely illegal, I don't see how legalization will change that.

Also why can't retail prices be easily looked up online? Is there some dumb law in CO or WA that prevents retail stores from having websites, or are they just hard to find because of the current "reefer madness"

Technically it isn't illegal for you to buy from the blackmarket, it's only illegal to sell without a license. But there are many other benefits to stores such as selection (eventually) and convenience. There are 2 stores within a 15 minute drive (one is 10 minutes). Other than outside normal business hours that will always be more convenient than waiting on a dealer to text me back and actually meet me somewhere with consistent product.

Part these aren't necessarily the most well funded startups. Most of these shops have been paying rent with no income for months now. They do have websites but most are barebones: http://newvansterdam.com. Weedmaps aggregates pot prices but it takes time to get the data.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Dr.Caligari posted:

Since it is for consumption, doesn't it have to be? Is there a government body (FDA?) who oversee's this yet?

The federal government still sees marijuana as illegal, so no, they have no present interest in setting up a body to regulate. Washington, Colorado, and the other medical states probably do have some sort of regulation going, but based on Colorado's edibles issues, the regulation is less than stellar. Washington may do a better job in that regard.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Happiness Commando posted:

Weedmaps lists tons of Denver prices.

Cool thanks.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
Classic:

http://dailycaller.com/2014/07/09/colorado-man-asks-obama-if-he-wants-some-weed/

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
YOu know that president roasted one while he was there but you gotta keep up appearances. He was licking a dutch master skin like "lemme show You high-capacity, Gov Hickenlooper". And then he filled it with some beautiful marijuana and sparked that poo poo. He did the thing where you hold it in and turn it arond to check the cherry and probably did a frowny head nod like "NOT BAD". That's my president yo.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

This guy clearly didn't have what it takes to join The Choom Gang.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Real long shot, but does anyone know a Arizonan combat veteran living in the DC area who's pro-marijuana? A colleague is working on some AZ-related weed issues in the capital, and would love to have such a person drop by a discussion or something to present a credible viewpoint. I've been pulling the vet card (and non-partaker) card for some lobbying bits, but he could really use an Arizonan?

Anyone here? Or anyone have a 420-friendly buddy from Arizona who was in the recent wars and lives around DC?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Dr.Caligari posted:

Last question. Since recreational MJ is now legal there, can you grow and smoke your own without worry now, or is there some strange thing where the mj has to be purchased at a store like 'cannabis city'?

Not trying to make this a sidejab, but what would the Libertarian response be to this vs the edible labeling controversy in Colorado? :ironicat:

Powercrazy posted:

....once you deal with him the first time, its as easy as ordering Seemless. Actually easier because you just have to text him.

Except when they're a lovely dealer and "forget" to text you for 3 days and are an absolute pain in the rear end to deal with. :argh:

Thank gently caress for legalization. I'd gladly pay lovely prices for good weed from a legit store (with good hours!) versus good prices for good weed from a lovely dealer any day of the week.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 11, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Not trying to make this a sidejab, but what would the Libertarian response be to this vs the edible labeling controversy in Colorado? :ironicat:

I would genuinely pay more for edibles whose thc content had been independently verified, without any government intervention. I'm not a libertarian and I think they should all be labelled, but it's not like there are no market forces encouraging it regardless of that.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Jeffrey posted:

I would genuinely pay more for edibles whose thc content had been independently verified, without any government intervention. I'm not a libertarian and I think they should all be labelled, but it's not like there are no market forces encouraging it regardless of that.

When people have mentioned concern about edibles to me, I've just said "that's not a 'drug' issue, that's a proper labeling and consumer safety issue". Though not an edible, I was really impressed by the photo of the labeled package earlier on this page. I was explaining it to a young guy in my neighborhood (definitely a partaker) who's going to help get his friends and community registered to vote, and his mind was just blown by the idea of having something so clearly and scientifically laid out on a weed product, like it was a bag of Doritos with exact calorie and sodium and all. I can't imagine that users wouldn't greatly value having that kind of knowledge on-hand.

Small Maryland update: they realized that when the decrim'ed weed they didn't decrim paraphernalia, so folks can still get criminal hits for that. At least in Montgomery County, they're trying to change the rules: http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/07/08/montgomery-county-wants-md-to-modify-marijuana-laws/

As one of those constant "drat, decrim wasn't quite fast enough", one of the only white people I know who's been actually arrested for weed was hit in Montgomery Co. not even a year ago. Had to do a bunch of legal wrangling and expense to avoid getting a verdict tough enough to ruin his medical career. So total class-based justice, white guy with money skates reasonably clean with fines and mandatory "treatment", but he'd probably have been totally clear if it happened this summer.

EDIT: First guy to buy recreational cannabis from a legal store in Spokane gets fired by his temp agency when he shows up on the news. Public outcry ensues. The reply from his company is one of those things that would sound unbelievable five years ago:

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/legal-pot/firing-over-legal-marijuana-called-mistake-man-gets-job-back-n153276 posted:

"We were not aware that he had taken the day off. He was scheduled to work, we saw him on TV that he was under the influence, and that caused us to start a process of screening," TrueBlue Vice President of Communications Stacey Burke told NBC News. "When we realized that he was not on assignment, we reinstated him. ... Pot is legal, and we know that."

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 11, 2014

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

Jeffrey posted:

The predominant market force has been and always will be whatever makes businesses the most profit. Sometimes that aligns with customer wants, but not always. The medical system in CA has been going for years most of the products have minimal labeling. Market forces didn't sort that out.

What is different about the government saying you must have your products tested and not mislabel your products? At least in WA the labs are privately run, the government only intervenes if you don't test. I'd much rather have business be required to test & label than to let the magical hand of the market decide.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

size1one posted:

The predominant market force has been and always will be whatever makes businesses the most profit. Sometimes that aligns with customer wants, but not always. The medical system in CA has been going for years most of the products have minimal labeling. Market forces didn't sort that out.

What is different about the government saying you must have your products tested and not mislabel your products? At least in WA the labs are privately run, the government only intervenes if you don't test. I'd much rather have business be required to test & label than to let the magical hand of the market decide.

Who are you debating with? They asked what the libertarian response would be and I gave it. Please don't be a d&d robot fighting the good fight against crypto-libertarians in every topic. I don't disagree with labelling laws. California does have a market for lab-verified strains/crops and I genuinely preferred to purchase those when I lived there, so there actually are some market forces at work, independent of whether they are sufficient or not.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 11, 2014

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

Jeffrey posted:

Who are you debating with? They asked what the libertarian response would be and I gave it. Please don't be a d&d robot fighting the good fight against crypto-libertarians in every topic. I don't disagree with labelling laws. California does have a market for lab-verified strains/crops and I genuinely preferred to purchase those when I lived there, so there actually are some market forces at work, independent of whether they are sufficient or not.

You. Unless you didn't mean anything you said. It sure sounded like you were giving your honest opinion.

\/\/\/\/ Perhaps I misread your statement. I thought you meant you would pay more only if the testing wasn't government required.

size1one fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 11, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

size1one posted:

You. Unless you didn't mean anything you said. It sure sounded like you were giving your honest opinion.

I responded to a guy asking what the libertarian response would be, and I gave that, and I was charitable to the extent that it is true. I guess I see where the confusion came from, I tried to make it clear with "I'm not a libertarian and I think they should all be labelled" but I should have said "I'm not a libertarian and I would support a labeling law".

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

size1one posted:

Even if he was giving an honest opinion, nothing he said was particularly libertarian. It's not like he ever suggested that the government shouldn't get involved.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Bought my first legal pot, prices were far, far higher than I thought they would be even based on what this thread was saying. Up in Seattle, from what I'd read prices were somewhat reasonable. I went to the store that opened today in Lacey, WA, there was a tiny line, but when I left there was no line at all and they said they would probably run out this weekend. Price was $55 for 2 grams of the lower quality.

They only had one brand, "Farmer J's", kind of disappointed they didn't have the OG one that I saw grown out in Kitsap, but I'm sure once supply starts really coming online prices will go down and selection will go up.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Reason posted:

Price was $55 for 2 grams of the lower quality.

Hahahaha :wow:

Well, this was never about actually outcompeting the black market. It was about reducing arrests and jail time to zero, or at least it was for me. 502 organizers were idiots so it wouldn't surprise me if they imagined that people would be lining up to pay 55 smackers for what amounts to a plump dub.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

SedanChair posted:

Hahahaha :wow:

Well, this was never about actually outcompeting the black market. It was about reducing arrests and jail time to zero, or at least it was for me. 502 organizers were idiots so it wouldn't surprise me if they imagined that people would be lining up to pay 55 smackers for what amounts to a plump dub.

The depressing part is that Washington completely dismantled their medical system so it's the price that legitimate patients also have to pay unless they go black market or can function enough to grow their own. It also means without a separate medical distribution structure that it's easier for the opposition to recall the law and have complete prohibition again.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

Reason posted:

Bought my first legal pot, prices were far, far higher than I thought they would be even based on what this thread was saying. Up in Seattle, from what I'd read prices were somewhat reasonable. I went to the store that opened today in Lacey, WA, there was a tiny line, but when I left there was no line at all and they said they would probably run out this weekend. Price was $55 for 2 grams of the lower quality.

They only had one brand, "Farmer J's", kind of disappointed they didn't have the OG one that I saw grown out in Kitsap, but I'm sure once supply starts really coming online prices will go down and selection will go up.

Similar high prices in Vancouver at the opening of the 2nd store today. $80 for an 1/8 of premium. They had 16 strains from 4 farms to choose from so not all bad. They were expecting to sell out at least the high THC strains, which was all anyone seemed to be buying, but expect much bigger shipments next week.

Sure there are kinks to work out but I bought pot. In a store. :fsmug:

Internet Webguy posted:

The depressing part is that Washington completely dismantled their medical system so it's the price that legitimate patients also have to pay unless they go black market or can function enough to grow their own. It also means without a separate medical distribution structure that it's easier for the opposition to recall the law and have complete prohibition again.

Other than individual towns or counties banning pot production and sales, do you think a recall is possible? It's not on the ballot for 2014, and once that tax money is flowing I doubt it could be stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

size1one posted:

Other than individual towns or counties banning pot production and sales, do you think a recall is possible? It's not on the ballot for 2014, and once that tax money is flowing I doubt it could be stopped.

Money talks, but it's hard to predict the future. Some crazy news story could get national attention and get the ball rolling on something like that, certainly. It's a bit far-fetched, currently, but even some of the successful medical states are getting blindsided by extra regulations and dispensary moratoriums.

• Locked thread