Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

C-Euro posted:

I feel like if you're going the Commander damage route, you'll want more equipment and/or more reliable ways to get equipment into play and onto Wydwen. That said, blue has lots of ways to find artifacts so take your pick. Whispersilk Cloak is also essential for any Commander damage deck.

Yeah Whispersilk Cloak owns. :allears:

quote:

Do you hate me for running an Obzedat deck? It's a little more of a prison/control deck but there's lots of lifegain too.

No because you at least have to cast him to do anything useful and he doesn't let you use blue. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I feel like if you're going the Commander damage route, you'll want more equipment and/or more reliable ways to get equipment into play and onto Wydwen. That said, blue has lots of ways to find artifacts so take your pick. Whispersilk Cloak is also essential for any Commander damage deck.

Whispersilk Cloak is definitely a card I'll get, thanks. For the artifact fetching what did you have in mind? Any specific cards I should be looking at?

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Fabricate is good. 3 mana, search for an artifact, tuck it into your hand. Long-Term plans, 3 mana, put a card 3rd from the top of your deck. poo poo, the amount of draw blue decks have is usually good enough. Reshape, XUU: sac an artifact, search your library for an artifact with cost equal to X or less. Tinker can do the same thing but for 3 mana, sac an artifact and put it into play.

Ignore Tinker, its banned in EDH for good reason.

Deckit fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 8, 2014

Sep 13, 2007

Deckit posted:

Fabricate is good. 3 mana, search for an artifact, tuck it into your hand. Long-Term plans, 3 mana, put a card 3rd from the top of your deck. poo poo, the amount of draw blue decks have is usually good enough. Reshape, XUU: sac an artifact, search your library for an artifact with cost equal to X or less. Tinker can do the same thing but for 3 mana, sac an artifact and put it into play.

I think Fabricate could work, it looks simple and can grab me a bunch of artifacts including some creatures.

A few changes, not much difference, but just an update: http://deckstats.net/deck-4445644-9862bccb6c5040cd22a2863768911f7e.html

do u believe in marigolds fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 8, 2014

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Oraculum Animi posted:

Whispersilk Cloak is definitely a card I'll get, thanks. For the artifact fetching what did you have in mind? Any specific cards I should be looking at?

Well if you are all about equipment I HIGHLY recommend Stonehewer Giant.

He is a bit more expensive but once you get him out, if you can protect him, you will most certainly win. I have him in both of my Voltron decks...

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

OssiansFolly posted:

Well if you are all about equipment I HIGHLY recommend Stonehewer Giant.

He is a bit more expensive but once you get him out, if you can protect him, you will most certainly win. I have him in both of my Voltron decks...

Definitely this. One thing to note though, if you use him to cheat out a Living Weapon equipment, the equipment comes in attached to your dude but then Living Weapon happens and the equipment germs up and unattaches from your target (also Stonehewer doesn't actually target, so you can use it on a pro-white guy.) Very handy if you need a second blocker. Not so handy if you want to suddenly give your guy +4/+4, lifelink and vigilance.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I might be wrong but I think he can only use black and blue so he can't use all the nutso white equipment/artifact cards.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

I might be wrong but I think he can only use black and blue so he can't use all the nutso white equipment/artifact cards.

My apologies I saw Oloro and missed that he changed commanders. I guess he does kind of have a tough road ahead with finding Artifacts. You do have all the tutors at your disposal though...Demonic, Grim, Vampiric, Diabolic, Rhystic and then Imperial Seal and Beseech the Queen...that way you can find Artifacts OR anything else. You could add Demonic Collussion and Insidious Dreams too...

Depending on your mana base you could always have Planar Portal too...the cost is REALLY high (12 mana for first tutor), but being able to use it more than once can have its upside.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Fabricate always feels like such a weak play from a tempo perspective - when you factor in the cost of playing your general, you're almost certainly tutoring for an equipment that everyone will have a full turn to prepare for before it hits the field.

Better to play Trinket Mage, and just accept that Skullclamp is good enough, or any of the numerous black tutors that get what you need without telling everyone what it is, or just draw eight billion cards via Rhystic Study etc until you find equipment. The latter strategy works well with Long-Term Plans, incidentally.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, I'm thinking Nin, the Pain Artist for my next deck. As my only eternal experience being with a Boros EDH deck, I'm looking for some recommendations for combos in U/R that could abuse her. So far, I've got Stuffy Doll and the Goblin that redirects damage. Then you have the myriad of insane singltons and counterspells. (I'm looking to keep counterspells to a minimum. Maybe Cryptic Command and Spelljack.)

Ideas?

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
The crab totem armor to untap?

Sep 13, 2007

OssiansFolly posted:

My apologies I saw Oloro and missed that he changed commanders. I guess he does kind of have a tough road ahead with finding Artifacts. You do have all the tutors at your disposal though...Demonic, Grim, Vampiric, Diabolic, Rhystic and then Imperial Seal and Beseech the Queen...that way you can find Artifacts OR anything else. You could add Demonic Collussion and Insidious Dreams too...

Depending on your mana base you could always have Planar Portal too...the cost is REALLY high (12 mana for first tutor), but being able to use it more than once can have its upside.

I'm not trying to be rude but not only did you not read that my general isn't Oloro but I also mentioned that I don't want to spend over 5 bucks on any card. Using SCG as a reference, Grim is 250, Vampiric is 40, Imperial Seal is 800.

LordSaturn posted:

Fabricate always feels like such a weak play from a tempo perspective - when you factor in the cost of playing your general, you're almost certainly tutoring for an equipment that everyone will have a full turn to prepare for before it hits the field.

Better to play Trinket Mage, and just accept that Skullclamp is good enough, or any of the numerous black tutors that get what you need without telling everyone what it is, or just draw eight billion cards via Rhystic Study etc until you find equipment. The latter strategy works well with Long-Term Plans, incidentally.

Fabricate can also snatch me something that isn't an equipment like a mana rock or one of my few artifact creatures. I could probably replace it for Beseech the Queen later on. While Skullclamp is a good card it doesn't fit my strategy of equipping my general and then bouncing her to my hand to avoid dangers, since she'll never hit the grave it'll only be useful on my other creatures.

Thank you all for the help.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Oraculum Animi posted:

I'm not trying to be rude but not only did you not read that my general isn't Oloro but I also mentioned that I don't want to spend over 5 bucks on any card. Using SCG as a reference, Grim is 250, Vampiric is 40, Imperial Seal is 800.

Thank you all for the help.

God forbid that someone just happen to misread...already apologized for that.

I saw that you didn't want to spend a lot right now on cards, but I have given you all kinds of suggestions for later down the road (put the cards in the sideboard and look to trade or acquire them later on). Everyone else covered what you can get right now. Not to mention if you don't want to spend the money on the higher priced cards I offered you 6 (over half) other cards that are under your $5 mark, so really it just makes you seem ungrateful for the MAJORITY of the suggestions.

Sep 13, 2007

OssiansFolly posted:

God forbid that someone just happen to misread...already apologized for that.

I saw that you didn't want to spend a lot right now on cards, but I have given you all kinds of suggestions for later down the road (put the cards in the sideboard and look to trade or acquire them later on). Everyone else covered what you can get right now. Not to mention if you don't want to spend the money on the higher priced cards I offered you 6 (over half) other cards that are under your $5 mark, so really it just makes you seem ungrateful for the MAJORITY of the suggestions.

I will admit the three fetch cards you listed are better than I originally thought but Ring of Three Wishes is a cheaper Portal and with how quickly things get removed in EDH I don't see it surviving on the board for 3 entire turns. I do apologize if I sounded ungrateful, I've just never seen 100+ dollar cards as being viable options to give.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Oraculum Animi posted:

I will admit the three fetch cards you listed are better than I originally thought but Ring of Three Wishes is a cheaper Portal and with how quickly things get removed in EDH I don't see it surviving on the board for 3 entire turns. I do apologize if I sounded ungrateful, I've just never seen 100+ dollar cards as being viable options to give.

You'd be surprised when and where you find cards...I found a Grim Tutor in an old box at my mom's house last year, and found a Vampiric Tutor in a Garage Sale just last month. It is better to see the cards and know about them because you never know when they will appear.

Ring of Three Wishes is good and slightly cheaper, but it only has 3 charges. Having duplicates is never bad in EDH if there is room...

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed

Oraculum Animi posted:

Any suggestions would be nice since I still have about a week before I get a bunch of the cards and put the deck together. This is mostly a budget deck so I'm only looking at cards that are about 5 dollars or less individually (I lucked into the Demonic Tutor with a versus deck).

I've always loved Neurok Stealthsuit personally, it's not as strong as say Whispersilk but the ability to equip at instant speed for UU has saved my commander or other important creature over and over again. They're cheap too.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Someone I know really wants to make a Bear-themed EDH deck and I decided to klodge a theoretical one together. I generally overload a deck then pare it down, but I also have the bad habit of forgetting something generally important. Here's the decklist WIP. It's mostly focused on making lots of bears and then mass-buffing them to make them generally useful because jesus christ it's a frigging bear deck. I'd appreciate any criticisms of something that absolutely shouldn't be there, or something that should that I've forgotten about.

Goddamned bears.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

For general buffing, there's also Gaea's Anthem and that obelisk coming out in M15.

Also, Mo' bears means mo' bears.

Artificial bear maker.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Archenteron posted:

Someone I know really wants to make a Bear-themed EDH deck and I decided to klodge a theoretical one together. I generally overload a deck then pare it down, but I also have the bad habit of forgetting something generally important. Here's the decklist WIP. It's mostly focused on making lots of bears and then mass-buffing them to make them generally useful because jesus christ it's a frigging bear deck. I'd appreciate any criticisms of something that absolutely shouldn't be there, or something that should that I've forgotten about.

Goddamned bears.

Bear with me and read this Vintage classic:
http://demonictutor.ning.com/forum/topics/36-bears?page=1&commentId=3440403%3AComment%3A8946&x=1#3440403Comment8946

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

There we go, forgot the Obelisk, have the Replicator, entirely unsure how I left Call and Path out considering that Call was one of the reasons I made the deck U/G to begin with.

:allears:

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

What about Bear Umbra?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Make sure you include the best bear ever printed, Chameleon Colossus.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Mutavault would work fine in the deck, especially with a pumped up door of destinies. Any of the UG changeling creatures work as well, just remember that with Coat of Arms and a changeling out all your opponents stuff gets pumped as well.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

BXCX posted:

Mutavault would work fine in the deck, especially with a pumped up door of destinies. Any of the UG changeling creatures work as well, just remember that with Coat of Arms and a changeling out all your opponents stuff gets pumped as well.

More importantly, everything pumps your changeling, which has resulted in all sorts of silly things whenever my friend pulls out his changeling tribal deck.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Anyone here run a Group Hug deck? I was considering a potential build with Selvala, but after a few cards I feel at a loss for what to pick.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
I have a very unoptimized Zedruu deck that is a little group-huggy. I got a few ideas for cards to add from this list.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Probably relevant for this thread: Oloro, Ageless Ascetic banned as commander in Duel Commander, Cataclysm banned likewise.

Sep 13, 2007

Myriad Truths posted:

Probably relevant for this thread: Oloro, Ageless Ascetic banned as commander in Duel Commander, Cataclysm banned likewise.

The day I trade in my Oloro for Wydwen. Sweet.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Oloro is dumb anyways. :colbert:

Someone put Curse of Echo's on me in a 5 player EDH game last night. At first I was a little miffed, because now everyone could use my super awesome.. Spells... GROUP HUG! :allears:

"All right everyone, lets have some fun! :parrot:"

I was pretty much well ahead in the game aside from my girlfriend and another player who runs infinite-combo's, so at any point he could pull one out.

"Everyone, fetch lands!" Cast Cultivate, Explosive Vegetation, Kodama's reach. Everyone gets 4 lands onto the field tapped, two into their hands. Now.. MYSTIC TUTOR! Get your favorite instant/sorcery and put it on the top of your deck. Pass."

Prophet of Kruphix untaps my lands. Veldalken Orrerry is in play.

"At your untap, gently caress your favorite instant/sorcery. Demonic tutor! Fetch your favorite card! Good, good.. NOW PRAETORS GRASP! Search someone ELSES library for their 2nd favorite card. :mmmsmug:"

Game went on for three and half hours. It was the most fun of 'gently caress this game' I've had in a long time. Beacon of Unrest and Beacon of Tomorrows (Take an extra turn after this one) got copied as well. Now I'm inspired to make a group-hug deck.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Deckit posted:

Oloro is dumb anyways. :colbert:

No you're dumb :argh:

Actually, I started in Commander with Oloro because I picked up the Esper deck for Commander 2013, but I kinda feel like he's training wheels for control and want to move on to more interesting things. I toyed around with a bunch of strategies but ended up appreciating tap out more than lots of instants. I'm looking for good commanders in the same colors (or at least a subset of them) for that sort of playstyle now.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Just to be clear, the Oloro ban is for French Duel EDH, not Regular Sheldon EDH. Regular Sheldon EDH had no banlist update.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

Just to be clear, the Oloro ban is for French Duel EDH, not Regular Sheldon EDH. Regular Sheldon EDH had no banlist update.

Yea the French banlist to me seems a bit odd sometimes...a few things on there don't seem like that big of a deal.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

OssiansFolly posted:

Yea the French banlist to me seems a bit odd sometimes...a few things on there don't seem like that big of a deal.

It's purely for 1v1 matches, so certain things have a much larger effect there.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

bhsman posted:

It's purely for 1v1 matches, so certain things have a much larger effect there.

Well I imagine so, but does Sol Ring REALLY need to be on the list? Same with Vampiric Tutor? I get that they are cheap mana cost and fast, but I don't know why they would warrant a ban...

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

OssiansFolly posted:

Well I imagine so, but does Sol Ring REALLY need to be on the list? Same with Vampiric Tutor? I get that they are cheap mana cost and fast, but I don't know why they would warrant a ban...

Precisely because they are cheap and fast.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

OssiansFolly posted:

You clearly don't play Legacy. 4+ mana on turn 2 is insane in multiplayer and straight broken in 1-on-1. Likewise, paying 2 life to draw whatever card from your deck you want is also insane.

I've used Sol Ring to go turn 1 Tajic, turn 3 Worldslayer, turn 4 end the game. That's at a point where I normally wouldn't even be casting Tajic.

That said, competitive commander. :jerkbag: If you're not doing something degenerate, you're not even playing commander.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

You clearly don't play Legacy. 4+ mana on turn 2 is insane in multiplayer and straight broken in 1-on-1. Likewise, paying 2 life to draw whatever card from your deck you want is also insane.

I've used Sol Ring to go turn 1 Tajic, turn 3 Worldslayer, turn 4 end the game. That's at a point where I normally wouldn't even be casting Tajic.

That said, competitive commander. :jerkbag: If you're not doing something degenerate, you're not even playing commander.

But how is that any different than multiplayer. If you wanted to do this in Multiplayer the result is the same...

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

OssiansFolly posted:

But how is that any different than multiplayer. If you wanted to do this in Multiplayer the result is the same...

In multiplayer you have 3+ other people hating on your turn 1 Sol ring and sometimes it's still not enough. The odds of someone having a counter to your shenanigans goes up pretty significantly when your opponents have seen 30 cards instead of 10. My Tajic example was in a 5 person game. I was last in turn order and after 4 turns nobody else had an answer because nobody keeps a hand expecting to have to deal with a turn 4 (and 5. And 6. And7...) game reset which only happened because I got an extra 2 mana on turn 1. Sol Ring is insanely broken. There's a lot of situations where it's better than the Moxen.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

suicidesteve posted:

In multiplayer you have 3+ other people hating on your turn 1 Sol ring and sometimes it's still not enough. The odds of someone having a counter to your shenanigans goes up pretty significantly when your opponents have seen 30 cards instead of 10. My Tajic example was in a 5 person game. I was last in turn order and after 4 turns nobody else had an answer because nobody keeps a hand expecting to have to deal with a turn 4 (and 5. And 6. And7...) game reset which only happened because I got an extra 2 mana on turn 1. Sol Ring is insanely broken. There's a lot of situations where it's better than the Moxen.

Yeah. Sol Ring allows for some stupid poo poo. I think the most degenerate turn 1 my Jor Kadeen deck ever did was: Plains --> Sol Ring --> Boros Signet --> Mox Opal --> Stoneforge Mystic searching out Batterskull. Turn two sees an Ancient Tomb which gives me the mana to get Batterskull and Jor Kadeen out with Metatcraft active. It is kind of dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Sol ring is a legitimate first pick in powered cubes for a reason. It enables so many different magical Christmas-land plays it is insane. I have seen a turn one sol ring into thorn of amethyst, turn two grand arbiter gently caress you all you never get to play anything.

A lot of combos that you can run work very well against a single player but not so well against multiple opponents. The Tajic example works regardless of how many opponents you have, but also hits you. It takes something like 11 turns for each player to die, which gives your opponents a lot of time to find a plains and a swords/path. Any combo that relies on a combat step takes significantly longer with multiple opponents than with one. Even if you can alpha strike someone down, you still need one combat step per opponent which means (presumably, things like hellkite charger and whatnot aside) one turn per opponent.