Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
The first time through just enjoy the wonderful prose and weird imagery. You won't understand large parts of what's going on but some of it will be cool.

Wolfe does have more digestible novels which are also good, like Peace and The Fifth Head of Cerberus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I should clarify that I'm really early on. He just got handed his punishment to go be a torturer out in the villages. He keeps saying he has a perfect memory, does that mean he is clearly full of poo poo or is that just to emphasize that there' s a ton of poo poo happening that he just doesn't know about and we'll never know for sure because this is very very strictly his POV?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
That moment when you realise you bought a book you have already read/purchased

:psyduck:

Can I get a refund you think?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

WastedJoker posted:

Yeah I've had no problem returning things

Actually though amazon usually doesn't let that happen so pointing it out should be easier

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Yeah, looks like they sorted it out for me!

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I had a similar problem with the Book of the New Sun trilogy, but the imagery and prose was enough to keep me in even though I wasn't enjoying the plot. Somewhere in the last half of the second book it clicked for me a bit and I was much more into it. I'd really like to reread all three soon to see if all the 'so much better on a second reading' hype holds up.

Since I'm reading Sanderson right now, I would say that Wolfe is completely opposite a writer like Sanderson. Sanderson's plots hook you in, but he has the absolute blandest prose and a total lack of imagery or details that make you feel you are in a real place. For all the credit he gets at world building, it's more just magic building, because his worlds feel flat and lifeless. Sanderson's engaging 'try/fail cycles' he puts his characters through, strong pacing/plotting, and spergy RPG-like magic leveling up keep many people reading despite the faults. For me the try/fail cycle and pacing he does is engaging enough that I can stomach the cardboard prose; it feels mostly like watching a solid action movie that isn't trying to be anything more than just an entertaining movie.

Wolfe's worlds feel completely alive, and the prose reinforces that. There is no try/fail cycle or standard plotting going on in Wolfe's books, and this is what makes people unable to get into them or sometimes unable to even follow what is going on. You are expecting a specific convention, but it never happens. When Severian finds the Claw of the Conciliator he just stumbles around with it and never quite knows how it works. In a Sanderson book there would be some scientist character who explained exactly how it worked, and Severian would slowly uncover new abilities with it. Reading the book and seeing him find the Claw, you expect this kind of thing to happen to at least some extent, and when it doesn't you ask questions like, "Didn't he find the Claw like 200 pages ago, what is going on with that?" Even after he starts healing people with it, it only works sometimes, and the best clarification you get is Severian explaining that he's confused, then seeing him try it here and there with mixed results.

Somewhere in the third book some alien ship shows up, and when it leaves Severian describes that it moves in an impossible direction. This type of small detail is what makes the world feel so alive. Wolfe doesn't throw out giant paragraphs explaining "cool poo poo he thought of" and breaking down every little detail of how it works. He instead shows you how this idea he thought of looks through a character's eyes and perception, and that gives you just enough detail that--if you want--you could think more about it and realize what kind of technology and propulsion the ship is using.

Severian gives a very cold and clinical account of most of the story, but it makes sense given that what you are reading is written down by him for historical purposes rather than to entertain. Severian also mentions specifically that he rushed and wrote the whole account down in one or two nights, so it explains a lot of glossing over he does. Severian is not writing the story to put you into his immediate frame of mind during high stakes situations or conflicts, and you could potentially fault Wolfe for choosing this framing device in the first place. I do think I'd have to read all three books again to really understand why he did it this way. My gut reaction is that having a framed first-person POV like this (which he also does in The Knight) helps the world to feel much more realistic since you have a reason to not explain everything to the reader as you would have to in a more standard POV.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

PupsOfWar posted:

Conrad Stargard

No thank you.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's been a long time since I read a book in one go, but I ripped through Defenders by Will McIntosh yesterday. It's an alien invasion story where humanity is getting destroyed by giant mind reading starfish so we invent something to fight back and well you know what happened to the old lady who swallowed the spider to catch the fly.

Any recommendations for other good invasion stories? I prefer stuff written in the last ten years and yes I've read Footfall.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Quite a few of the alien invasion stories that get published unfortunately fall under the frequently-lovely purview of MilSF, so it's easy to go wrong there.

Maybe try the Chtorr series, if you'd like an interesting sort of invader and don't mind skimming through long, wild-eyed libertarian screeds periodically. Better than Ringo, at least.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 7, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PupsOfWar posted:

Quite a lot of the alien invasion stories that get published unfortunately fall under the frequently-lovely purview of MilSF, so it's easy to go wrong there.

Maybe try the Chtorr series, if you'd like an interesting sort of invader and don't mind skimming through long, wild-eyed libertarian screeds periodically. Better than Ringo, at least.

Yeah I'm more interested in stories of small groups or whatever dealing with the situation as opposed to the hard rear end earthling Marines who kick the invaders back into space.

Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?
The Breakers series of books by Edward Robertson is pretty good alien invasion stuff. Each book (7 so far?) are interwoven standalone.

A small alien invasion fleet launches a tailor-made virus that wipes out most of humanity before 'landing'. They, in turn, lose their mother ship, which leads to a huge power vacuum full of both alien and human factions. The books jump around, with familiar faces popping up.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I just finished City Beyond Time by everyone's favourite mentally addled born again Christian John C Wright. It's pretty good. It is an anthology with stories relating to a city which exists at the end of time and which is controlled by a faction who can move through time at their whim. Paradoxes are rife. As paradoxes mount, they increase the unlikelihood of certain futures occurring, and if abused time travel really fucks up the timeline. If a future becomes too unlikely a person or area affected by it can simply vanish (notably, the city itself is founded on these mists). The Time Wardens who control this are, unsurprisingly, not depicted sympathetically. Some of the logic involved was a little confusing, hardly surprising in stories premised on time travel, but overall the stories were interesting and I'd be keen to read more in the setting.

The John C Wright moralising was to a minimum, and characters overall didn't seem to assume the antiquated morality that some of his protagonists do. His only real comment was that having a large degree of control over time and being able to repeat events results in morality becoming meaningless - because any consequence can be obviated. I don't have any issues with this assertion.

The prose was a surprise. Wright is prone to very florid and anachronistic language. Sometimes it works, as with the far future of The Golden Age and to an extent Count to a Trillion. Sometimes you get poo poo like the Orphans of Chaos books, which read horribly. That kind of language is muted in these stories. A couple of them have it, but the protagonists rooted in contemporary or near-contemporary settings speak in the style you'd expect. Slayer of Souls was particularly noteworthy in this respect, since it seemed to involve a protagonist from the modern day, or close enough to, who spoke quite naturally. This was a welcome improvement, and shows he's diversifying his skills as a writer.

The last two books of his I've read, this and Awake in the Night Land, have been anthologies, and have been really outstanding.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

zoux posted:

Yeah I'm more interested in stories of small groups or whatever dealing with the situation as opposed to the hard rear end earthling Marines who kick the invaders back into space.

It looks like "The Killing Star", by Charles Pellegrino and George Zebrowski could fit there. It is not exactly an "invasion" story (the actual intention of the aliens is not to invade earth, but to completely wipe humanity from existence) but the small pockets of survivors is all there. By the way, Pellegrino is if I'm not mistaken the designer of the interstellar ship featured in the "Avatar" movie, which is based in his Valkyrie starship design proposal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Valkyrie).

Disclaimer: I have not read that book, so I'm pointing at it just basing on reviews.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Harry Connolly released a short story collection, including a new Twenty Palaces novelette. There's some really good poo poo in there you guys:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LHDTSHK/

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The 20p novella is pretty awesome.

Haven't read the other stuff yet, had to get my 20p fix first.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

So I'm reading Bloodsong by Anthony Ryan, which is good but pretty predictable sofar.
I have started to get tired of the current vogue of grim-dark fantasy with not much magic in the vein of GRRM and Abercrombie.
So I'm looking for some high fantasy with a lot of magic and no story about a young kid growing up to become powerful warrior/wizard/whatever.
I am thinking about something in the same vein and scope as Malazan, WoT, Bakker, Leiber and Elric.
I get bored by Sanderson, so he is out. Anyone got any suggestions?

The Hawkmoon series by Moorcock seems interesting, and I have always had a soft spot for Elric.
Or maybe I should just get down to reading Conan.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.

WastedJoker posted:

I've done this too many times with comic book TPB's but never kindle books but like others said, Amazon shouldn't let you but Blood Song is a special reason. Quick question though, how are you getting those different covers than what's on Amazon?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

thecallahan posted:

Quick question though, how are you getting those different covers than what's on Amazon?

They're from Amazon UK

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0FLB6ovfVE

Is it August 28th yet?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Cardiac posted:

So I'm reading Bloodsong by Anthony Ryan, which is good but pretty predictable sofar.
I have started to get tired of the current vogue of grim-dark fantasy with not much magic in the vein of GRRM and Abercrombie.
So I'm looking for some high fantasy with a lot of magic and no story about a young kid growing up to become powerful warrior/wizard/whatever.
I am thinking about something in the same vein and scope as Malazan, WoT, Bakker, Leiber and Elric.

The Hawkmoon series by Moorcock seems interesting, and I have always had a soft spot for Elric.

Check out the Sunsword series by Michelle West. It's huge in scope like Malazan as well as sharing some other similarities with it.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

savinhill posted:

Check out the Sunsword series by Michelle West. It's huge in scope like Malazan as well as sharing some other similarities with it.

Looks kinda interesting.
How good are the characters done ie how stereotypic?
How much magic is present in the series, and to be specific I am talking about fireballs and other forms of highly visible magic?

I'm not necessarily looking for a series that is huge in scope like Malazan or WoT, but something with a good story, magic, fantastical creatures, good battle scenes and good characters. Not knowing how it is all going to end after the first half of the book would also be a bonus.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Cardiac posted:

Looks kinda interesting.
How much magic is present in the series, and to be specific I am talking about fireballs and other forms of highly visible magic?

I'm not necessarily looking for a series that is huge in scope like Malazan or WoT, but something with a good story, magic, fantastical creatures, good battle scenes and good characters. Not knowing how it is all going to end after the first half of the book would also be a bonus.

If this is what you want then I cannot give enough love to The Broken Sword. It has all of that in a single, self-contained a book.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
There is a new bundle of sci-fi books. Are any of these actually good?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Cardiac posted:

Most of David Gemmell's stuff would line up pretty well. You could start with Legend or Ghost King or Lord of the Silver Bow or Lion of Macedon, which are all a good foothold into his worldbuilding stuff with the latter two being historical fiction set in Greece and Troy (to be blunt, one or both of those two series are about a young kid who gets shat on and then eventually grows up to destroy the known world, intentionally or not). Ghost King is a classic kid grows up to become a badass, but it goes off into wild crazy poo poo (it's an Arthurian legend retelling fwiw) and then there are no more young kids growing up, although occasionally warriors get injured and need to do <training montage> to get back into shape. Legend is my personal favorite probably however, it starts off a bit slow for the first few chapters until they all arrive to the wall they are defending against not-Genghis Khan (who's got a cool backstory himself if you read the rest of the Druss novels which are prequels to Legend).

Legend is more of a stand-alone however, half of the other books in the Drenai series are a bunch of badass dudes taking on all comers in a world full of magic and telepathic powers and multiple parallel universes (I think it eventually nearly reaches World as Myth levels), the magic system is pretty unique, and there're dozens of Gemmell's books to choose from. The Drenai are his fantasy highlanders and they're all pretty fun, and they have the added bonus of all being set in drastically different periods of time in the same culture's history, so sometimes the Drenai are the scrappy underdogs and sometimes they're a crumblind, decadent empire.

If you want to really :catdrugs: the poo poo out of things, you could instead go with Gemmell's 'Jon Shannow' (Jerusalem Man) stuff, which is kind of a western fantasy novel in the vein of Mad Max or The Dark Tower. There are no young boys growing up in these, because the loving world ended and sacrificing said kids to the blood god is way more :black101: but Jon Shannow :clint: is a bible-quoting :commissar: with a crazy streak a mile wide.

Just don't start with the Waylander stuff. They're good but pretty far out there in the kooky department imho, and if you begin with them it's going to be about a hundred times more crazy and grimdark than you might want, as it starts off by throwing gigantic werewolf mutants around left and right, whereas starting in most of the other novels which might have the same/similar creatures, would give you a way to ease into the waters before people are shooting out monster eyes with one-handed mini crossbows.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 9, 2014

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

quote:

Blood will curdle in Calcutta! In the most crime-ridden city, nightmares become real and evil is defined by frightening occurrences. When an American family finds themselves encircled by the terrors of this land, lurid events befall them and life takes on a new meaning—death.

lol Dan Simmons

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rusty Kettle posted:

I saw a couple of cheesy-looking sword swinging titles, Harlan Ellison's classic (which I've sadly never got round to reading, in large because Ellison is such a dick every time I run into stuff about him), Alan Dean Foster has given me a good+funny ride here and there, and I recognize Timothy Zahn from something. Four or five that I'd be willing to read seemed like a decent deal to get in on early.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Rusty Kettle posted:

The Reluctant Swordsman is a super-cheesy guilty pleasure portal + power fantasy about a terminally ill guy who ends up in a buff, young body of an elite swordsman with all of his skills intact, is told by Gods who summoned him into this world to own poo poo and totally does by effortlessly loving up who he wants to gently caress up with his leet sword skills and masterminding the hostile locals until he's in command. Oh and there's a hot slave chick that he totally wins over through not being an rear end in a top hat and they fall in love and have hot sex.

It's not exactly a literary masterpiece but I found myself enjoying it.

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is a really good short story. You can read it in the third link Google gives you when searching for its name.

Song of Kali won the World Fantasy Award, but I haven't read it.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Been a while since I read it, but as the synopsis lets on Spellsinger is about a college student who gets teleported to another reality full of anthro animals and the occasional human where he gets to go on a hero's journey to save the world through the power of 60's and 70's rock bardic magic. The story arc of the first book carries on to the second so expect to pick that one up you want the full experience. Kind of like a comedic, much bawdier Redwall with magic 'n rock'n'roll (and no two page long feast descriptions). A few plot inconsistencies come up in the later novels, but this is the sort where you need to remind yourself it's just a story and you should probably just relax.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Spellsinger is silly fun. Maybe the best thing Alan Dean Foster has written, which is very, very faint praise, but it's solid fluff. There's a whole series of sequels.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Rusty Kettle posted:

To add to what's already been said, The Time of the Dark is a pretty good story about two normal humans switching places with a wizard from a fantasy world; the normals fight evil invading monsters and the wizard discovers six-packs of bud.

Bear's The Forge of God is a good end of the world story, though pretty bleak.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Hobnob posted:

Bear's The Forge of God is a good end of the world story, though pretty bleak.

I had never heard of Ralph Nader until I read this book. So, there's that.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

:woop: Guess I'm re-reading Blindsight this summer.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Cardiac posted:

Looks kinda interesting.

I'd say characterization is one of the stronger points of West's writing. There's some archetypes(it is fantasy), but she does put a strong effort into giving lots of character development beyond whatever role a character fills in the plot.

There's a lot of magic but iirc, it isn't overexplained and systematized like Sanderson's stuff, it's explained enough that you understand what's going on during a battle, or if its important to the ploy or whatever, but lots of it's left mysterious.

While this series is huge in scope, it had some great battles, especially some told from a small military squad's POV like Malazan. I remember there being good, complex political intrigue and it had a cool race of some demon creatures. It was like ten years ago that i read it, so maybe some of the story beats, etc. have been done a lot since then, but I remember it being very good and unpredictable.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

The Dave Duncan is the first in a trilogy that I remember as being reasonably popular back in the 80s, I didn't really care for it but 'our-world protagonist
transported to secondary-world, is powerful and important' isn't really my favorite subgenre, especially when there's engineering.

fookolt posted:

lol Dan Simmons

Don't read Dan Simmons except maybe Hyperion.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

bonds0097 posted:

I had never heard of Ralph Nader until I read this book. So, there's that.

Wait, was Nader mentioned in Forge of God or are you mixing it up with the Naderites from Eon? (And/or Eternity, I forget which one they're in.)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Spellsinger is silly fun. Maybe the best thing Alan Dean Foster has written, which is very, very faint praise, but it's solid fluff. There's a whole series of sequels.
Depending on how high your tolerance for furries is, anyway. I could only take so many literal rabbits hitting on the main character before I decided that it wasn't for me.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

fritz posted:

I'm well aware. That book summary just restates your point.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

savinhill posted:

I'd say characterization is one of the stronger points of West's writing. There's some archetypes(it is fantasy), but she does put a strong effort into giving lots of character development beyond whatever role a character fills in the plot.

There's a lot of magic but iirc, it isn't overexplained and systematized like Sanderson's stuff, it's explained enough that you understand what's going on during a battle, or if its important to the ploy or whatever, but lots of it's left mysterious.

While this series is huge in scope, it had some great battles, especially some told from a small military squad's POV like Malazan. I remember there being good, complex political intrigue and it had a cool race of some demon creatures. It was like ten years ago that i read it, so maybe some of the story beats, etc. have been done a lot since then, but I remember it being very good and unpredictable.

I'll second the West recommendation, she has three series in that universe and is currently my favorite series/author. If you are hesitant to jump into the 7 book Sunsword series there is the Sacred Hunt duology (starting with Hunter's Oath) that contains some of the characters and takes place before the Sunsword series begins.

I feel characterization is one of her strong suits and while it is high fantasy with a lot of magic its not super generic and she has an interesting writing style where she kind of writes around the action sometimes rather than explaining each little detail. For me at least it leaves more to the imagination and helps me visualize the scene more.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

fritz posted:

The Dave Duncan is the first in a trilogy that I remember as being reasonably popular back in the 80s, I didn't really care for it but 'our-world protagonist
transported to secondary-world, is powerful and important' isn't really my favorite subgenre, especially when there's engineering.

His historical novels aren't bad, depending on your tolerance for Stephen King endings and your interest in the setting and people being written about (Simmons did research for those novels and by gum does he want you to know it and by gum you will read every tiniest factiod that he found out about Hemmingway/ Dickens/ Artic Exploration/ Dying of scurvy/ 1930's climbing equipment/ And more!).

Carrion Comfort is one of the best Epic Horror and Balls to the Wall action/adventure novels ever written. The 100ish page Most Dangerous Game inspired climax is really something. Summer of Night is an It knock off but it's pacey and has lots of cool monster bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I think it's more like "Don't read any statement Simmons has made since 2001, and also don't read Illium/Olympos"