Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pack it yo
Aug 6, 2007

Linear Ouroboros posted:

My younger sister may have more WTC moments in her childhood than anyone I know.

All three of those stories had me laughing so hard I was in tears. Buy your poor sister a drink for me.

To contribute, I just went through truck driving school. We had a week of classroom instruction, then we are given a packet of questions and answers that are for our permit test, then once that is done we can begin behind the wheel training. The packet contains both the questions and answers exactly as they appear on the exam, so you can basically read through them in their entirety two or three times, and then read the answers a few more times and come test time, the answers jump right out at you.
There was one girl who went into the DMV for testing at 10am, opening time, and didn't leave the test area until 5pm, closing time. As in, no restroom breaks, nothing. Number of questions completed in a 7 hour period? 11. I can't wrap my mind around it. Why not just leave if you don't know the answers? She appeared to be totally lucid and average... Needless to say she showed up at school the next day with bags packed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
This isn't quite as :wtc: as some of the stuff I've seen in this thread, but it probably qualifies.

At my work, I'm responsible for supporting our overseas exploration sites with exploration tools - I work for a mining company and we're currently working on some cool stuff in Africa. I sent, via courier, a medium-sized box of sample cards to Johannesburg, from Melbourne, Australia, a few months ago. The box was going to be picked up there and taken with one of our other geologists with her to our site in Tanzania. It was one of those couriers that lets you track the shipment on the internet. The box went Melbourne>Singapore>Jo'burg. Fine.

I shipped exactly the same thing to our other site in Africa, which is in the Democratic Republic of Congo, near the regional centre town Lubumbashi. Exactly the same box contents, only the serial numbers were different. The box went Melbourne>Singapore>Frankfurt>Leipzig>London>Johannesburg>Lubumbashi. The questions started building up in my mind. Like, I know you can fly boxes of this type straight from Singapore to Jo'burg. I've seen you do it. What the gently caress was up with the European tour? And Frankfurt to Leipzig is going backwards - actively away from where I wanted it to end up. And it took that leg of the journey via truck. Truck! And then London? What the gently caress? I thought Frankfurt was the biggest freight hub in Europe? Surely you'd ship out from there as a far more central European departure point for going to Africa. Surely.

And I paid over $700 out of my budget for the privilege of my box seeing the delightful sights of Modernist Frankfurt, and then the rich Wilhelmian culture of Leipzig. It boggles the mind.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
2 :wtc: moments.

1) I was over at a friends house and had to use the bathroom. The place was looking entirely slovenly. The toilet was full of piss and I didn't want to get hepatitis from Neptune's Kiss so I flushed first. Two roach-like bugs were hiding under a little lip in the bowl and got flushed out. I decided to take my poo poo elsewhere.

2) My adorable 3-year old niece was named after her grandma. Said grandma recently confessed on her deathbed to baby murder. She got knocked up when she was like 16 and her family forced her to hide in the house all year and then throw the newborn child into a chimney to incinerate it. Apparently people were quite curious to know why smoke was coming out of the chimney during the summer.

My niece will never, ever know who she was named aftet.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Rough Lobster posted:

2 :wtc: moments.

2) My adorable 3-year old niece was named after her grandma. Said grandma recently confessed on her deathbed to baby murder. She got knocked up when she was like 16 and her family forced her to hide in the house all year and then throw the newborn child into a chimney to incinerate it. Apparently people were quite curious to know why smoke was coming out of the chimney during the summer.

My niece will never, ever know who she was named aftet.
Why the hell not? Sounds like she didn't exactly have a choice in what happened and died hating herself for what she was forced to do. She then went on to be a good enough mother and grandma that she was worthy of having a kid named for her. Not telling the niece about her namesake because she was the victim of abuse is hosed up and you need to talk to your nieces parents about it.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Ya sounds like your niece's grandmother was the strongest person in that family to me.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

The other day, I was on the train when a very fat, sweaty man, with long hair and a decepticon logo tattooed on his forehead, got on. He had just come out of a comic/hobby shop next to the train stop. He sat down, mumbled some unintelligible gibberish to himself, and then turned towards a couple tourists sitting next to him.

:anime: "hey, you wanna see my miniature AK-47?"
:stare: "uh, ok."
:anime: "JUST KIDDING HAHAHAHA THE COPS WOULD SHOOT ME!!!"
:stare: ....

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

San Fran? Cause there can't be THAT many neckbeards with forehead tattoos...

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Yes, SF is completely full of insane fat men with giant decepticon tattoos on their foreheads. In fact, according to the census, a full 50% of the population are "fatcepticons".

:wtc: You really think that's a common sight anywhere?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Rah! posted:

Yes, SF is completely full of insane fat men with giant decepticon tattoos on their foreheads. In fact, according to the census, a full 50% of the population are "fatcepticons".

:wtc: You really think that's a common sight anywhere?

I believe he was trying to say, "Was this by any chance in San Francisco? I think I might know that dude."

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
1989 I was in the parking lot of a Goodwill store in New Orleans when a kind of fat nun walked by in full habit. She had a red cross tattooed or more like carved in her forehead right between the eyes. She looked like something right out of a Clive Barker novel. I've always kind of wondered if I wasn't seeing one of Manson's girls that day, repented and having joined a holy order. That glimpse of her has always stuck with me. Of course I saw and heard some weird poo poo in NOLA back then. And a lot of great stuff but this is the WTC thread after all.

brokowski
May 13, 2013

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Haha come check out humboldt county sometime...

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Fairly minor (compared to other instances in this thread), but somebody on alternatehistory.com (another forum I am a member of)tried to argue that infanticide should be legal up to 8 months of age.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

LostCosmonaut posted:

Fairly minor (compared to other instances in this thread), but somebody on alternatehistory.com (another forum I am a member of)tried to argue that infanticide should be legal up to 8 months of age.

I've seen conservatives posing as liberals say stuff like that to try and drive people far enough the opposite direction that they'd be against abortion, but if he was legitimately expressing that belief then yeah, :wtc:.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.

LostCosmonaut posted:

Speaking of which.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

Icon Of Sin posted:

:nms:

Fried chicken.

:stonklol:

Holy poo poo.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

darkbob87 posted:

My grandmother passes away and I find out my dad is my mothers second husband...needless to say it was an odd week.

50 pages ago, I know, but I can top that. I have one sibling, a younger sister. My parents divorced when I was 5, and neither of them have had children since. I knew that my mom was married before my dad, but to hear her tell it, it was a short-lived "highschool sweethearts get married too young" sort of thing.

I found out this past Thanksgiving (at the age of 27) that I have a half-sister out there somewhere who my mom gave up for adoption at birth.

Apparently she's made a few attempts to contact the girl, but no luck. I'm okay with the idea, I know my mom is no saint and everyone is entitled to make a few mistakes in their youth. But ever since then I've taken a careful look at any girls I've considered hooking up with. I know the statistics are on my side, but when it comes to the idea of accidentally loving a blood relative, I'm not taking chances.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Memento posted:

What the gently caress was up with the European tour? And Frankfurt to Leipzig is going backwards - actively away from where I wanted it to end up.

Sometimes delivery companies just go batshit insane. I had a package shipped Chicago->London. It went air to Frankfurt and then took a month or so to get from there to London by land. None of this showed up on the tracking site, that STILL shows the package as being in Chicago, but the thing was delivered in a bag COVERED in customs waybills.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Memento posted:

And I paid over $700 out of my budget for the privilege of my box seeing the delightful sights of Modernist Frankfurt, and then the rich Wilhelmian culture of Leipzig. It boggles the mind.
I don't have an explaination for everything in your post but I do know that Frankfurt's airport has very expensive flights as it's the business capital of Germany and Leipzig has a budget flight airport which specifically has cheap flights to London. Even if they're using their own planes I can imagine it's a lot cheaper to use Leipzig airport.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

I was saw a middle-aged man in the parking lot picking off all the dead fallen tree leaves from the bushes and putting it in a plastic bag. No, he didn't look like he was working there, nor did he look like he was poor. It just looks like he was shopping for some pretty sweet free leaves.

I couldn't think of a reason why anyone would do that.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Maybe his kid was doing an art project? I once helped a neighbor with his grade school project whose criteria was to only use "natural objects". He was looking for a boat and I suggested these.

The only place to find them was alongside a busy freeway and I imagine to anyone driving by, two adults, a teenager, and a kid scrounging around on the ground and picking stuff off the ground into plastic bags looked pretty drat out of place.

My WTC moment is finding that photo and wondering who'd pay money to use that particular image.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
Didn't happen to me, but still :wtc:

I work for a large Midwestern grocery chain. Let's call it Little Bird. We sell gift cards to many popular stores, and give discounts on gasoline if you buy a lot of them. This, if course, leads to people trying to buy gift cards with stolen credit cards.

One such person was confronted by my manager, who wanted to compare the customer's ID to the card he was using. Naturally the customer declined, and my manager refused the sale. The customer leaves in a huff.

He returns an hour later with a bow and loving arrows slung over his shoulder. Naturally my manager tells him he can't bring those into the store, but asks him to talk outside. They go outside, and my manager tries to calm him down by explaining that it wasn't personal, there's just been a rash of credit card fraud, and buying a bunch of gift cards is a red flag they were taught to look for. He's happy to complete the sale of the customer shows his ID, etc etc.

Customer is having none of that. He's a Saudi prince, you see, he's a millionaire many times over. His credit card has the royal name on it, though, and his ID has his commoner name.

Manager is starting to realize that this guy is batshit, but he also has a weapon, so policy states to keep him calm and defuse the situation. He repeats the party line that the ID and credit card must match.

*snap*

Dude unslings the bow, nocks an arrow, and draws on my manager. He starts yelling something about being part Cherokee Indian, but my manager bolts before the guy can say anything else.

Guy tries to shoot my manager with the arrow, but pulls too hard and snaps the string. 911 is called, cops show up and detain him. The real :wtc: of it? Since the bow is now broken, it's not an operable weapon, and thus there's nothing to charge him with. He's banned from the store, so they can charge him with trespassing if he comes back, but that's all.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Captain Trips posted:

I work for a large Midwestern grocery chain. Let's call it Little Bird. We sell gift cards to many popular stores, and give discounts on gasoline if you buy a lot of them. This, if course, leads to people trying to buy gift cards with stolen credit cards.

One such person was confronted by my manager, who wanted to compare the customer's ID to the card he was using. Naturally the customer declined, and my manager refused the sale. The customer leaves in a huff.

He returns an hour later with a bow and loving arrows slung over his shoulder. Naturally my manager tells him he can't bring those into the store, but asks him to talk outside. They go outside, and my manager tries to calm him down by explaining that it wasn't personal, there's just been a rash of credit card fraud, and buying a bunch of gift cards is a red flag they were taught to look for. He's happy to complete the sale of the customer shows his ID, etc etc.

Customer is having none of that. He's a Saudi prince, you see, he's a millionaire many times over. His credit card has the royal name on it, though, and his ID has his commoner name.

Manager is starting to realize that this guy is batshit, but he also has a weapon, so policy states to keep him calm and defuse the situation. He repeats the party line that the ID and credit card must match.

*snap*

Dude unslings the bow, nocks an arrow, and draws on my manager. He starts yelling something about being part Cherokee Indian, but my manager bolts before the guy can say anything else.

Guy tries to shoot my manager with the arrow, but pulls too hard and snaps the string. 911 is called, cops show up and detain him. The real :wtc: of it? Since the bow is now broken, it's not an operable weapon, and thus there's nothing to charge him with. He's banned from the store, so they can charge him with trespassing if he comes back, but that's all.

Is there security footage of him drawing on your manager? Broken bow or not that sounds like assault with a deadly weapon to me.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Captain Trips posted:

*snap*

How about attempted murder?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

LostCosmonaut posted:

Protip: Don't post on AH.com. At the very least, avoid the off-topic forums and any thread which is a timeline rather than an actual discussion. This will eliminate 90% of all threads but not much in the way of actual content.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

Protip: Don't post on AH.com. At the very least, avoid the off-topic forums and any thread which is a timeline rather than an actual discussion. This will eliminate 90% of all threads but not much in the way of actual content.

On that note, the writer of Protect and Survive, one of the few genuinely well written pieces on there, got banned for making fun of a brony moderator and had to finish the story by having a friend post it.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Captain Trips posted:

I work for a large Midwestern grocery chain. Let's call it Little Bird.

Ah, yes, I did nearly all my grocery shopping at Little Birds when I lived in Cleveland.

For the record, your manager was in the wrong. The merchant agreements of every major credit card company forbid refusing purchases for lack of ID, as long as the card is signed. Obviously, the bow is still not an acceptable reaction.

Also, how in the world does the bow string breaking mean there's no possible charge? If I point a gun at you and it jams, I am pretty sure I can still be charged with a variety of crimes. It sounds like someone was full of poo poo.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Centripetal Horse posted:

Also, how in the world does the bow string breaking mean there's no possible charge? If I point a gun at you and it jams, I am pretty sure I can still be charged with a variety of crimes. It sounds like someone was full of poo poo.

No poo poo. If I stuck you up in broad daylight, then rendered the gun inoperable after I've got your money, did I even commit a crime to be charged with? If the gun's broken, then all I did was tell you to give me your money, which you did. :psyduck:

I know in Canada, you can be charged with armed robbery/assault/brandishing even if you use an airsoft gun, or a replica/deactivated firearm. (or a rubber knife, dull sword, training weapons etc) If you threaten someone with what they could perceive as a real gun, you've basically used a real gun in the eyes of the law.

So how is drawing a bow on someone NOT any one of a dozen charges just because it broke while he used it? Especially with video evidence, goddamn.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

It might depend on if local assault laws differentiate between firearms and muscle-powered projectile weaponry, though I can't think of any reasonable scenario where that would be a thing.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
There's a blind girl and her seeing eye dog who comes in to our clinic occasionally. That's cool, I'm all for independence. I'm polite and helpful when I'm checking her in, treating her dog and stuff. But her seeing eye dog is the loving worst. It's like they just put a black lab in a harness, and not even a really good lab either. This dog ignores commands, tries to jump on people, pulls her all over, etc. I am legitimately worried this girl is going to end up in traffic or something.

She once snapped at me, "Don't grab her harness!" when I was only trying to get her dog to stop lunging in multiple directions so she wouldn't run straight into one of our large fish tanks. I'm trying to gently and discretely redirect the dog and she snaps at me. And I'm embarrassed to correct her because how do you respectfully say your dog sucks rear end and you almost hit our 50 gallon fish tank? We're talking fish lives at stake, lady.

You'd think blind people would be able to get a decent seeing eye dog. Not just slap a harness on a black lab and call it a day. That's my WTC moment, the realization that this girl probably can't afford a trained dog even though the dog is what gives her independence and a semblance of a normal life. That is hosed up. Even a seeing eye dog drop out would be better than this, Christ.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

empty sea posted:

You'd think blind people would be able to get a decent seeing eye dog. Not just slap a harness on a black lab and call it a day. That's my WTC moment, the realization that this girl probably can't afford a trained dog even though the dog is what gives her independence and a semblance of a normal life. That is hosed up. Even a seeing eye dog drop out would be better than this, Christ.

Maybe she's faking the blindness so she can get those sweet parking spots closest to the door at the mall, and she put a harness onto her pet dog to complete the look?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

empty sea posted:

Even a seeing eye dog drop out would be better than this, Christ.

You know what they call the bottom 5% of dogs who graduate from seeing-eye dog school?

Seeing eye dogs.

Poor woman probably just got the short end of the stick with a mediocre companion, I don't think you can legally use a dog as a guide-dog without their having gone through training.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Incarnate Dao posted:

You know what they call the bottom 5% of dogs who graduate from seeing-eye dog school?

Seeing eye dogs.

Poor woman probably just got the short end of the stick with a mediocre companion, I don't think you can legally use a dog as a guide-dog without their having gone through training.

You say that as if illegality ever stopped someone before.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

razorrozar posted:

You say that as if illegality ever stopped someone before.

Now that you mention it, I also can't imagine somebody ballsy enough to call out a blind person on their dog if they suspect it's just a regular dog on a harness.

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

Incarnate Dao posted:

Now that you mention it, I also can't imagine somebody ballsy enough to call out a blind person on their dog if they suspect it's just a regular dog on a harness.

Who licenses the people who train the dogs? She might have gotten ripped off and doesn't even know it. "Here you go, one highly trained seeing eye dog." *snicker* ::pockets money::

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Check into whether or not this is legal where you live first, but you should be able to ask about the dog's training. You can't ask about a person's disability, but you can ask what the dog is trained to do because they're usually trained to assist with a variety of tasks, and this won't necessarily disclose the nature of the disability. If she can't answer, it's possible that it is not, in fact, a trained guide dog and you can politely decline to allow it inside.

It sucks having to be the jerk telling a blind person to get out, but sometimes you have to. Her dog could seriously injure someone and/or break all your poo poo.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
"Ma'am your dog is lunging at the fish tank. I'm afraid this could be unsafe for you."

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

CrowsNestMutineer posted:

Who licenses the people who train the dogs? She might have gotten ripped off and doesn't even know it. "Here you go, one highly trained seeing eye dog." *snicker* ::pockets money::

Incarnate Dao posted:

Seeing eye dogs.

I have friends, two married couples, who participated in the raising and training of service dogs. The training is no joke, the testing is thorough and intense, and dogs do wash out of the program. That "bottom 5%" thing is not valid, in my experience, because that bottom 5% had to meet the same standards as everyone else. There isn't much flex, there, from what I saw.

If the dog in the story is nearly as bad as he sounds, I would be surprised if he graduated from any legitimate program. Either that, or the owner has done a poo poo job of maintaining proper discipline and a proper relationship with the dog. Guide dogs are not pets, and that was one of the saddest parts of watching my friends raise those dogs.

empty sea posted:

There are numerous programs (Guiding Eyes, Guide Dogs for the Blind, Guide Dogs of America, The Guide Dog Foundation for the Blind, and many more) that provide the dogs at no cost to the visually impaired. Cost almost certainly has nothing to do with it.

Vicodiva
Sep 27, 2012

Memento posted:

I shipped exactly the same thing to our other site in Africa, which is in the Democratic Republic of Congo, near the regional centre town Lubumbashi. Exactly the same box contents, only the serial numbers were different. The box went Melbourne>Singapore>Frankfurt>Leipzig>London>Johannesburg>Lubumbashi. The questions started building up in my mind. Like, I know you can fly boxes of this type straight from Singapore to Jo'burg. I've seen you do it. What the gently caress was up with the European tour? And Frankfurt to Leipzig is going backwards - actively away from where I wanted it to end up. And it took that leg of the journey via truck. Truck! And then London? What the gently caress? I thought Frankfurt was the biggest freight hub in Europe? Surely you'd ship out from there as a far more central European departure point for going to Africa. Surely.

Who did you entrust your cargo to that gave you this heinous routing? I used to work air export logistics here in the US and am boggled by the idea of a SIX segment routing. It also sounds like your forwarder is putting you on an interline routing as well, meaning two or more physical air carriers are involved in moving your box, That many variables is a set up for loss or damage to the goods.

DHL hubs out of Leipzig.

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

Vicodiva posted:

Who did you entrust your cargo to that gave you this heinous routing?

I mapped it, just for fun.

That's quite a world tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I have a friend who is afraid of spiders that I was talking to and he doesn't like to even look at pictures of spiders, I asked him what if it was a hot lady spider, then did a google image search for an example, only to come across this:

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/Vs2gb.jpg :nws:

People are weird.

• Locked thread