Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
That was a thing that happened, yesterday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
here's some more goodies:

quote:

There’s a conventional school of thought that places blame on the ideology of Brazilian football itself. According to this argument, the irresistibly likable paradigm of jogo bonito gave way to a more brutish style of play. In its rush to win more trophies, the country stopped producing transcendent talents like Pele and Ronaldo; it began fielding effective goons like Fernandinho and Hulk. As Brazil lost its capacity for manufacturing creative players, it squandered its comparative advantage.

Of course, it’s true that Brazilians are mad for the victory. Way back in the 1990s utilitarianism began to dominate the strategic thinking of the national team as it attempted to replicate the increasingly distant success of 1970. This shift was disguised by the occasional appearance of geniuses like Ronaldinho and Neymar. The overheated will to win, therefore, is a plausible explanation. But the Brazilian game is far more broken than that.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/118607/brazil-germany-luiz-scolari-taught-his-team-play-scared

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Omi-Polari posted:

here's some more goodies:
"When Brazil lost a relative squeaker to France in the finals of the 1998 World Cup, the country’s congress held intensive investigations and hauled some of its most storied athletes before a panel of preening politicians. Conspiracy theories swirled that cast blame in all directions—one widely held notion attributed the defeat to the machinations of Nike. The questions were irrational but give some hint of the mindset of a defeated Brazil and foreshadow the ugly recriminations that will follow this ugly defeat."

:lol: What a bunch of spoiled babies

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

Also everyone always talks about THE SAMBA FOOTBALL even though that poo poo basically died about 20 years ago when they won the World Cup by winning every knockout-round match 1-0 and then the final on penalties after a 0-0 draw. And now Brazil's basically just a football colony of Europe anyway. They didn't even have a token dude from a domestic club team in the squad.

Also Germany loving owns

Fred and Jo both play in Brazil, as do both their reserve goalkeepers. Fred's pretty much a token striker anyway.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

maninacape posted:

Besides Germans rooting for their national team, why is everyone here so excited to see Brazil lose so badly? Are they villains?
For a start: they were awful this World Cup and they needed to be put in their place (which, all things considered, should've been out to Chile in the Round of 16).

This is the only thing in this thread that has almost made me feel bad for Brazil. Disenfranchised/shocked men? Easy to laugh at. Sad and crying children? No problem laughing. Crying women? Sure, :laugh:. A cute old man? Awwwww. :kiddo:

Crazy Ted posted:

They didn't even have a token dude from a domestic club team in the squad.

Also Germany loving owns
Sure they did: Fred and Jo. They made their countrymen proud very, very angry. It was pretty funny that they started booing every time Fred got the ball (like Diego Costa, another useless shitwad of the WC).

And yes. Germany play some entertaining/quality soccer/football, an easy way to the hearts of neutrals.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

vyelkin posted:

Just woke up, were there actually riots in Brazil or anything? Are the players all dead?
Apparently a favela gang raided Copacabana beach after the fifth goal and fired shots while robbing everyone at gunpoint, causing a stampede.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

vyelkin posted:

Fred and Jo both play in Brazil, as do both their reserve goalkeepers. Fred's pretty much a token striker anyway.
Ah poo poo I forgot about those two. I was thinking more about the outfield players; I know their goalkeepers tend to be domestically-based.

Just think: the annals of Brazilian forwards...

Friedenreich
Pele
Tostao
Romario
Bebeto
Ronaldo
Fred

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 9, 2014

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

that tackle :vince:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think FIFA should give Germany the honour of hosting the 2022 World Cup in honour of their services to football.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

he really really really wanted that penalty kick but the ref just would not cooperate.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

maninacape posted:

Besides Germans rooting for their national team, why is everyone here so excited to see Brazil lose so badly? Are they villains?

Brazil are what you might call a "critics team", there's always a lot of talk about how brilliant they are from commentators beforehand but they never deliver on that front. There's more teams like that in the cup, but Brazil has always been the biggest and people buy into the hype.

So watching them come crashing down like this will hopefully smash the myth.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
I just woke up thinking it was just a dream. :magical:

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

rope kid posted:

The online odds were always listed dramatically in Brazil's favor using data apparently compiled by people who didn't actually watch them play any matches over the past 3 weeks. Even this morning, without Silva or Neymar, they were favored heavily. I don't think anyone expected THIS result, but it was annoying to see IMO unfounded confidence in Brazil taking it all.

also lol brazil and fifa 11 billion dollars stadiums in the rainforest used four times lol

I bet on Germany at 19/10 and Brazil were 17/10 at that time, so they were favoured by the bookies but not that heavily.

Bet365 paid out my bet on Germany at 40 minutes lol

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Still couldn't believe it after returning from public viewing lol, haven't seen such atmosphere since 2006, well done DFB team and we got an answer how many goals Germany could score against the host: a brazillion!

Hope Bayern feels like poo poo now wrt to Kroos lol

now just blitzkrieging one more game and then its off to Russia

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
ah! a new day and its still real!

Maradonna Summer posted:

it took ages to get one though, they had black smoke coming out of chimneys for years

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

ephex posted:

ah! a new day and its still real!

Guten Morgen, ephex

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

sircozzie
Jul 8, 2011

Release the Meerkat
It actually happened then?

Can't remember a time before when TRP was still unanimous in its disbelief of a result the next morning.

e: also i loved the thread's title last night when i read the first page of this but now it might be the best title ever

sircozzie fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jul 9, 2014

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

sircozzie posted:

It actually happened then?

Can't remember a time before when TRP was still unanimous in its disbelief of a result the next morning.
Oh, it's real. It's drat real.

:unsmith:

orange sky
May 7, 2007

http://g1.globo.com/fotos/fotos/2014/07/fotos-torcedores-lamentam-derrota-contra-alemanha.html#F1274355

Some delicious tears.

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good

he loves the spin, i love the spin

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

lol i love him so much

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
first time I've seen so many Polish people happy that Germany won, times are truly changing, thanks UEFA, the best FA

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

ephex posted:

lol i love him so much
How can you not?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sport/world-cup-2014/story/football-fans-take-the-mickey-out-problem-gambling-ad-20140709

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

maninacape posted:

Brazil (Scolari) fielded a team with weak and critizised players on several positions and expected to win the World Cup because they are Brazil, and play in Brazil. Because Brazil. They came this far through less than stellar games, partly by bullying other teams (with the help of referees) and by luck. It was obvious that the team was far from stable but they hobbled along, with complete denial, hoping that being Brazil would be enough to win the Cup.

But like Icarus, this mess of less than spectacular players cobbled together with wax and dreams, flew too close to Germany. Winning against Colombia through foul play finally paid back, as their only decent players were out. Their hopes and dreams melted as they were slaughtered in what is likely the biggest football massacre in the lifetime for most of us. It was a mix of delicious karma and the punishment of hubris, delivered by a never ending Teutonic whirlwind.

It was art.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
This will be one to tell the grandkids for sure. I am immensely pleased to have witnessed this match.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBBu7SZJxJ0

:(

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

peanut- posted:

I bet on Germany at 19/10 and Brazil were 17/10 at that time, so they were favoured by the bookies but not that heavily.

lol

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

the driest of bummings

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

peanut- posted:

Bookies also tend to play silly buggers with their odds on occasion to more easily relieve people of their money. No sensible person who's watched them play in this World Cup should have considered Brasil to be favourites.

Also lol Brasil.

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

Our love will last forever

TRP Post Of The Tournament Winner World Cup 2014
i still can't believe it happened, i stayed up until 6 am watching highlights and replays of the goals

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

Bookies also tend to play silly buggers with their odds on occasion to more easily relieve people of their money. No sensible person who's watched them play in this World Cup should have considered Brasil to be favourites.

Also lol Brasil.

They might have used to do that back when your choice of bookie depended on where your closest one was. They were gonna get customers anyway, they can afford to screw with the odds in their favor.

Now, people will pick the place they get the best odds online. That means the bookie's odds have to very very very closely approximate the statistical odds, to remain competitive, and that lowers the margin for error. These days the odds are so close that with operational overhead, you have to predict the odds in a one-on-one matchups right on average 54% of the time as a bookie to turn a profit.

This might not sound like much, but best statistical models running on what are pretty much supercomputers barely manage that. Trust me, they aren't playing with their odds, unless your bookie is the mafia.

Harry Anus
Feb 11, 2005

I felt sorry for Fred when the crowd started booing just him.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

This guy is the only person I feel genuinely sorry for. They broke his heart.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

What did Fred do to earn the ire of brazilians, btw?

I mean besides being a garbageman, but that can't be it, cause there were 9 more garbagemen on the pitch

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

Our love will last forever

TRP Post Of The Tournament Winner World Cup 2014
here's some highlights in ok quality and no voiceover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Maradonna Summer posted:

here's some highlights in ok quality and no voiceover

Location blocked in the UK, possibly elsewhere too.

• Locked thread