Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Clarste posted:

Huh. He wrote 'Touhou' instead of 'Toho' like you would expect.

Because he's not a moron that fogets about long vowel sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

AdorableStar posted:

Remind me again, what's the name of the capital of Japan?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

AdorableStar posted:

'Toho' is the official spelling of other things, like the movie studio that made Godzilla. Also it's not like we spell Toukyou with the long vowels. Traditionally ZUN goes for the more established romanizations, pronunciation be damned. Huziwara and Reiuzi and all that.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Clarste posted:

'Toho' is the official spelling of other things, like the movie studio that made Godzilla. Also it's not like we spell Toukyou with the long vowels. Traditionally ZUN goes for the more established romanizations, pronunciation be damned. Huziwara and Reiuzi and all that.

Established romanisations are dumb and the fact that a lot of them like "shinto" "hokkaido" etc. don't have the long sound at them just means that whoever romanised it is a dumb oval office who has no respect for the difference. What's that? A shojo manga? I didn't know it was about virgins.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Touhou Thread 6 - Feel free to shitpost all you want

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
If we're going to shitpost in a mediocre thread can it at least have some effort put in it?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm just morbidly fascinated with how much money and time Avshalom is willing to spend attempting to troll a thread barely anybody follows.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm just morbidly fascinated with how much money and time Avshalom is willing to spend attempting to troll a thread barely anybody follows.

FYAD/GBS trolls probably have as much expendable income as most Trad Games posters but spend it even more frivolously.

That said they can keep padding Lowtax's bottom line as much as they want. Maybe we'll get a (fully) functional site/server out of them someday. :v:

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

FractalSandwich posted:

Remind me again, what's the name of the capital of Japan?
東京 is romanized to Tokyo because when it was renamed from 江戸 the dominant romanization system had a different way of representing vowels than what's popular now. If 東京 were founded today we'd be spelling it as Tōkyō or Toukyou.

I don't know if native speakers feel the same way, but I've always thought spelling it Toho seemed to fit the faux-archaic setting the same way a swords-and-sorcery game might have "thou" in the dialog.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Oh yeah, it also says 'Toho' in big letters on the cover of the manga volumes and stuff. So there's that.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

東京 is romanized to Tokyo because when it was renamed from 江戸 the dominant romanization system had a different way of representing vowels than what's popular now. If 東京 were founded today we'd be spelling it as Tōkyō or Toukyou.

I don't know if native speakers feel the same way, but I've always thought spelling it Toho seemed to fit the faux-archaic setting the same way a swords-and-sorcery game might have "thou" in the dialog.

I know this discussion is circular and also troll bait, but I'll say it anyway - I don't think this is true. I'm pretty sure it's completely unnecessary in English to add the U, and it's still standard practice to drop the U in just about everything but amateur fan translations with no quality standards. Which is coincidentally how most Touhou material is handled. (No offense, Clarste, you've seen my gripes on other people's stuff)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hokuto posted:

(No offense, Clarste, you've seen my gripes on other people's stuff)

None taken, I know I'm an amateur. Personally I also think 'Toho' is more correct, which is why it surprised me that ZUN didn't use it on the config screenshot. Although for some reason the fandom has decided to go with Gensokyo instead of Gensoukyou.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Hokuto posted:

I know this discussion is circular and also troll bait, but I'll say it anyway - I don't think this is true. I'm pretty sure it's completely unnecessary in English to add the U, and it's still standard practice to drop the U in just about everything but amateur fan translations with no quality standards. Which is coincidentally how most Touhou material is handled. (No offense, Clarste, you've seen my gripes on other people's stuff)

Why would you drop the U when it can literally be the difference between two different words?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Clarste posted:

None taken, I know I'm an amateur. Personally I also think 'Toho' is more correct, which is why it surprised me that ZUN didn't use it on the config screenshot. Although for some reason the fandom has decided to go with Gensokyo instead of Gensoukyou.

I imagine he went with it because it's what's already being used and recognized, and nobody uses Toho for the games. Sometimes fan communities influence these things, for better or for worse.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Hokuto posted:

I imagine he went with it because it's what's already being used and recognized, and nobody uses Toho for the games. Sometimes fan communities influence these things, for better or for worse.

Honestly I think it's for the better sometimes. If Zun goes ahead and names a certain EX boss "Frandle", some sort of nerd war will break out.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

AdorableStar posted:

Why would you drop the U when it can literally be the difference between two different words?

Context is enough for 99% of those situations. You might as well ask why people don't post the original kanji alongside every word that has the same reading as another word with different kanji.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Couldn't it just be because there is an already fairly well known company whose name is transliterated into Toho, which happens to be much more noteworthy that a series of indie games, and that writing it with 'ou' helps distinguish between them?

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I used to keep extended vowels in everything but lately I've been thinking they may not always be necessary (like in 'youkai/yokai'). However, I try to keep them for names, because 'Yuuka' is different from 'Yuka' (although I make exceptions if it would make the pronunciation to confusing for a non-Japanese speaker).

I support Touhou over Toho though, mostly just to give it distinction, as described above.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think the main thing is that an extra 'u' doesn't even indicate the correct pronunciation if you're not already familiar with Japanese (or the anime fandom). It's basically just a hard and stupid conversion of the Japanese letter う which makes perfect sense if you're thinking about the kana tables but not so much if you're a native English speaker who's never thought about Japanese and probably pronounces 'sake' as 'saki' for unknown reasons. 'ou' just has too many idiosyncratic pronunciations in English to determine which one is proper.

Although frankly at this point our opinions are irrelevant because it's simply impossible to get people on the internet to spell Touhou differently. Might as well shoot for recognizablility.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

AdorableStar posted:

Established romanisations are dumb and the fact that a lot of them like "shinto" "hokkaido" etc. don't have the long sound at them just means that whoever romanised it is a dumb oval office who has no respect for the difference. What's that? A shojo manga? I didn't know it was about virgins.

Stop being such a try-hard.

The correct spelling and pronunciation is 2hu anyway.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

Stop being such a try-hard.

The correct spelling and pronunciation is 2hu anyway.

You heard it here first: apathy and lethargy now desirable characteristics of anyone.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

AdorableStar posted:

You heard it here first: apathy and lethargy now desirable characteristics of anyone.

If you want to revolutionize the field of J-E translation with your new and dangerous views, a Touhou thread on the Something Awful forums is probably not the place to do it.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Hokuto posted:

If you want to revolutionize the field of J-E translation with your new and dangerous views, a Touhou thread on the Something Awful forums is probably not the place to do it.

That was a reaction to the word tryhard, not to any of this.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Besides, it all comes down to necessity - other people have pointed out Toho the Godzilla company, and while there's not any issue in Japan about similar names, if you pulled something like that in American copyright law, you'd get lawsuits up the rear end.

As far as Gensokyo over Gensoukyou, I figure it's meant to be an intentional parallel to Tokyo by whoever first did the accepted romanizations on the English side of things.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

As far as Gensokyo over Gensoukyou, I figure it's meant to be an intentional parallel to Tokyo by whoever first did the accepted romanizations on the English side of things.
I think you're giving Touhou fan-translators c. 2003 far too much credit.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I don't actually bear you any ill will, Touhou thread. :shobon: Please keep houing your tous.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Avshalom posted:

I don't actually bear you any ill will, Touhou thread. :shobon: Please keep houing your tous.

They're called diaper heads. :colbert:

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Avshalom posted:

It's cool, sometimes threads just gotta have deflated horses put in 'em and 10bux must be paid

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

none of imperishable night's mechanics like scoring or time make any sense

peace

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
I can consistently hit the Time goal on every stage other than stage 2, where I consistently undershoot it by an enormous margin.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I actually find the Time mechanics to be the most intuitive of any game (other than Double Dealing "go up the screen moron" Character I guess). You can always decide whether to be in human or youkai form based on what's in front of you, rather than memorized information about what's coming up.

It makes life difficult when playing human-only games, though.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

ProfessorProf posted:

I can consistently hit the Time goal on every stage other than stage 2, where I consistently undershoot it by an enormous margin.

For me the trick is to actually let the familiar-spawning fairies live a second or two and then shoot'em down with a a youkai shot-type. If you shoot them down before they spawn familiars or pop the familiars with a human shot-type you get significantly less time.

gently caress if I know about scoring in any of the games though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Perfect

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Anyone got a guide on fighting games in general and Hopeless Masquerade in specific? I'm so goddamn bad at most fighting games, especially ones with combos.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Here's Shoryuken's guide. Don't know how helpful it'll be for HM in particular, but hey, it's free! :v:

http://shoryuken.com/srk/FightingGamePrimer.pdf

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The trick to HM is that it's Smash Bros with two extra buttons. When you have meter you should be using the direction + Z/C attacks, and to get meter use either your A/B melee attacks, or keep the other guy away with your X/Y shots. It doesn't have much in the way of combo besides maybe A,A,B.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Good luck trying to find anyone to play HM with, especially if you're European.

NuclearPotato posted:

Here's Shoryuken's guide. Don't know how helpful it'll be for HM in particular, but hey, it's free! :v:

http://shoryuken.com/srk/FightingGamePrimer.pdf

Writing peer-reviewed thesis papers is my least favorite part of fighting games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The ideas are interesting, but I think writing around the example of Street Fighter might be more confusing than enlightening for someone trying to play Hopeless Masquerade. There are no high-low blocks, and no throws, which I'm pretty sure makes the game objectively horrible in some sense. That said, it has the basic triangle of melee > grazing > danmaku > melee which is something something.

All I know is that I beat story mode on every character by finding the cheapest ranged attack that the AI couldn't dodge and spamming it. And then spending several minutes between each match painstakingly transcribing all the dialog for the wiki.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 10, 2014