Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

We're still stuck in a world where high everyone believes high gas prices are caused by either greedy oil companies/SUVS or high taxes and environmentalists aren't we?

"The gas tax is too high thanks to Obama!"

*fails to notice that the federal gas tax was last raised in 1993 and is not tied to inflation*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Reminder that as many people blame the inept Katrina response on Obama as on GW Bush so people really don't know what the gently caress.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Obama controls the weather so I could see many people simply not registering the word "response" when answering that poll. First Katrina to ensure blacks would always hate Bush and Republicans, then that storm that delayed the RNC in Florida for a day and then Superstorm Sandy just when he needed it. How convenient.

edit: God dammit there's that horse guy again I see him everywhere I go.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 9, 2014

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I think people are taking the wrong path on these .gop sites. Sure, you'll find some amusing sites that make the gop look bad by domain name.

But TeaPAC.gop is available....think of the possibilities you could do with that domain.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I don't see a horse, what're you talking about? Perhaps you should see a doctor.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Why are we using the term "border crisis"? There is no crisis on the border. It's in washington due to republican racism.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

mcmagic posted:

Why are we using the term "border crisis"? There is no crisis on the border. It's in washington due to republican racism.

Republicans ask for increased presence on the border to catch illegals trying to cross into the US.
We catch more illegals crossing into the US and Republicans use that as proof that our border presence is weaker than ever.
:psyduck:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sir Tonk posted:

All you have to do is call the state police. It's illegal in pretty much every state in the country and if the cops see them do it, they'll get a ticket and will have to get it fixed.

The EPA said it's illegal as well, so I call the FBI or something.

Most of these tuners have a switch that is installed right under the dash to allow the mode to be switched instantly back to stock. The loophole is that the other modes are not illegal for non-road use and without the police officer happening to spot them doing it on the road or private dash cam footage they won't get written up. That is why I mentioned the new EPA rules no longer having that exemption for newer non-road diesels.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Sir Tonk posted:

There was a fairly common GOP image macro going around during the 2012 election that showed gas at $1.84 when Obama was inaugurated. Kinda fell flat with most people, since it was still lower than in 2008 even after it went back up and the drop was during winter when people weren't driving as much.

It was a combination of two things. First, the total economic collapse absolutely crated demand for energy for a couple months there. Second, there was a Koch-funded initiative where they had one specific gas station give 50 motorists subsidized gas on the day of inauguration so Republicans could use that as the low-end figure in their chart.

Damned if I can find a supporting article at this point, though.

e: I may be mixing this up with a promotion in Bangor in 2012.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 9, 2014

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Old James posted:

Republicans ask for increased presence on the border to catch illegals trying to cross into the US.
We catch more illegals crossing into the US and Republicans use that as proof that our border presence is weaker than ever.
:psyduck:

People believe there is some way all these children are crossing into the country without dying brutally in the desert and they believe Obama personally spread information about where to cross into the States.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Paul MaudDib posted:

Second, there was a Koch-funded initiative where they had one specific gas station give 50 motorists subsidized gas at $1.78 per gallon so Republicans could use that as the low-end figure in their chart.

Of all the motherfuckers in America, those guys are the motherfuckinest. You've almost got to tip your hat to that one.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nonsense posted:

People believe there is some way all these children are crossing into the country without dying brutally in the desert and they believe Obama personally spread information about where to cross into the States.

The GOP base just doesn't want to have to look at more brown people. Period. We all know that if these were Irish kids in a detention center in Boston no one would be saying a thing about it and would be welcoming these kids with welcome arms. It's so obvious. I don't know why more people aren't just coming out and saying it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

mcmagic posted:

The GOP base just doesn't want to have to look at more brown people. Period. We all know that if these were Irish kids in a detention center in Boston no one would be saying a thing about it and would be welcoming these kids with welcome arms. It's so obvious. I don't know why more people aren't just coming out and saying it.

Because they know they can't be honest about that kind of racism.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

Because they know they can't be honest about that kind of racism.

Why can't they? It's a winning issue for the democratic party.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Even if you take them at their word regarding the reason for this particular stance -- those theoretical Irish kids could possibly grow up to be good little GOP voters, but Mexicans will automatically 100% become Democrats by some arcane process the pundits don't quite understand -- it only moves the stance from "virulently racist" to "moderately racist and also depressingly cynical".

As we all know, the GOP steadfastly refusing to treat Mexicans like human beings is what's alienating Mexicans from voting Republican in the first place, though. The irony would be enjoyable if it didn't result in people trying to get kids abandoned in the desert to die.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

loquacius posted:

Even if you take them at their word regarding the reason for this particular stance -- those theoretical Irish kids could possibly grow up to be good little GOP voters, but Mexicans will automatically 100% become Democrats by some arcane process the pundits don't quite understand -- it only moves the stance from "virulently racist" to "moderately racist and also depressingly cynical".

As we all know, the GOP steadfastly refusing to treat Mexicans like human beings is what's alienating Mexicans from voting Republican in the first place, though. The irony would be enjoyable if it didn't result in people trying to get kids abandoned in the desert to die.

Well that and they're not Mexicans.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

mcmagic posted:

Oh sorry I misinterpreted you. I thought you were asking why conservatives don't just come right out and say "we hate non-whites'.

And yeah like someone else said, American political discourse is so hosed up that if anyone in the mainstream media called out conservatives for being full-on racist, all we would here is "SEE? THIS IS HOW LIBERALS ARGUE! THEY JUST CALL PEOPLE NAMES AND STUFF! THEY DON'T THINK OR USE FACTS!"

gently caress.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mcmagic posted:

I think he was talking about conservatives, mainly. Given, the Democratic Party would benefit from that honesty being unveiled as well, but then you see quotes from people in private, proving it's all just a ruse to get people to the polls in order to just be the same kind of jingoistic rear end in a top hat as which you spent a year classifying your opponent.

On the other hand stuff like executive orders for cabinet departments to de-prioritize non-violent migrants who were brought into the country as children is a public overture which truly improves the lot for countless people who grew up here and know no other home. So you take the bad with the good and vote for whoever presents the better balance.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Oh sorry I misinterpreted you. I thought you were asking why conservatives don't just come right out and say "we hate non-whites'.

And yeah like someone else said, American political discourse is so hosed up that if anyone in the mainstream media called out conservatives for being full-on racist, all we would here is "SEE? THIS IS HOW LIBERALS ARGUE! THEY JUST CALL PEOPLE NAMES AND STUFF! THEY DON'T THINK OR USE FACTS!"

gently caress.

Conservatives whine about bullying by Democrats, but still demand bullying be standardized in all social situations ensuring a person suffers at every stage of life.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

Here's the funny thing: the EPA is already all over this but they are playing it BLM vs Cliven Bundy long game style.

good stuff

Speaking of Bundy, hows that going? Does he still have serfs or have they taken a sudden summer vacation?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
There's never been a border crises and the border has never been the issue.

They could have easily prevented all this a long time ago by forcing employers (all the way down to sub contractors) to use E-verify and penalizing companies that break the low with massive fines. However, employers are infallible in their minds (not to mention keeping wages low is a plus) so that never happened. The best thing to do would be to grant amnesty now for everyone that's already here and not breaking the law, make it easier for people to legally immigrate here and then enforce strict hiring regulations.

I admit I didn't really start paying attention to politics that much until the last four Bush years. Was there a time when the Republicans had enough power to get their own immigration reform through? I have the impression that back then they would have gotten a lot of support from Democrats as well since the unions were very anti-immigrant at the time. This just leads me to believe that the moderate/establishment conservatives really don't want to do anything about immigration either, almost to the point of believing their secretly for illegal immigration but openly against it.

edit: and yes, I'm close to many latin people (married to one) and my impression is that many of them would probably be Republican, especially the older crowd if it wasn't for all the racism.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 9, 2014

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The whole "diseases" thing that racist crowd in CA was shouting is hilarious considering a good amount of them do not vaccinate statistically.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

I think he was talking about conservatives, mainly. Given, the Democratic Party would benefit from that honesty being unveiled as well, but then you see quotes from people in private, proving it's all just a ruse to get people to the polls in order to just be the same kind of jingoistic rear end in a top hat as which you spent a year classifying your opponent.

On the other hand stuff like executive orders for cabinet departments to de-prioritize non-violent migrants who were brought into the country as children is a public overture which truly improves the lot for countless people who grew up here and know no other home. So you take the bad with the good and vote for whoever presents the better balance.

Turning people out to vote against outwardly racist shitbags isn't really jingoism. It's progress.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The GOP gets off on getting called racist. They get to climb up on their moral high horse and accuse Dems of playing "the RACE CARD" and then the narrative switches to "is it racism" and liberals get called overly sensitive and so on.

Because you can't prove someone is racist. We know that they are racist, they know they are racist, but they have plausible deniability in the name of national security and economic reasons, so unless you have a secret tape of them saying "muhahahah we're doing this because we hate Mexicans ahahah" (and probably not even then) race is never a winning issue in the contemporary political climate.

I mean, Donald Sterling was on tape basically saying "I hate black people", still denied he was racist, and a good number of people believe him, or don't think what he did was racist.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 9, 2014

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

There's never been a border crises and the border has never been the issue.

They could have easily prevented all this a long time ago by forcing employers (all the way down to sub contractors) to use E-verify and penalizing companies that break the low with massive fines. However, employers are infallible in their minds (not to mention keeping wages low is a plus) so that never happened. The best thing to do would be to grant amnesty now for everyone that's already here and not breaking the law, make it easier for people to legally immigrate here and then enforce strict hiring regulations.

I admit I didn't really start paying attention to politics that much until the last four Bush years. Was there a time when the Republicans had enough power to get their own immigration reform through? I have the impression that back then they would have gotten a lot of support from Democrats as well since the unions were very anti-immigrant at the time. This just leads me to believe that the moderate/establishment conservatives really don't want to do anything about immigration either, almost to the point of believing their secretly for illegal immigration but openly against it.

edit: and yes, I'm close to many latin people (married to one) and my impression is that many of them would probably be Republican, especially the older crowd if it wasn't for all the racism.

Oddly enough, using E-Verify is something Freepers screech about a lot. It's never been mandated, probably because large employers (the hallowed job creators) in some fields absolutely rely on illegal labor to drive down wages.

Also the whole "Mexicans would be Republicans except for the racism" thing isn't true. Polls show that most Hispanics are fairly left when it comes to things like abortions and gay rights. The age demographic is pretty even - older people are more conservative on social issues than younger people by far but even then it's not like every Hispanic over the age of 60 is stuck in the 50's.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

zoux posted:

The GOP gets off on getting called racist. They get to climb up on their moral high horse and accuse Dems of playing "the RACE CARD" and then the narrative switches to "is it racism" and liberals get called overly sensitive and so on.

Because you can't prove someone is racist. We know that they are racist, they know they are racist, but they have plausible deniability in the name of national security and economic reasons, so unless you have a secret tape of them saying "muhahahah we're doing this because we hate Mexicans ahahah" (and probably not even then) race is never a winning issue in the contemporary political climate.

I mean, Donald Sterling was on tape basically saying "I hate black people", still denied he was racist, and a good number of people believe him, or don't think what he did was racist.

This just isn't true. Black and brown people know that they aren't welcome in the GOP instinctively. That's why margins in those communities get bigger every year for democrats. That is racial politics.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Na race is highly advantageous to Democrats, and will be tapped into by younger Democrats, since older Democrats respect boomers too much.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why because you are going to get more black people to vote Democrat? 90+% already do. Latinos vote for Democrats by a two-thirds majority. Demographic trends will cause minority voting blocs to eventually tip elections, but most minorities are well aware that the Republican party is racist. Democrats would have to convince undecided white voters that this is motivated by racism, and that is difficult to do.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Why because you are going to get more black people to vote Democrat? 90+% already do. Latinos vote for Democrats by a two-thirds majority. Demographic trends will cause minority voting blocs to eventually tip elections, but most minorities are well aware that the Republican party is racist. Democrats would have to convince undecided white voters that this is motivated by racism, and that is difficult to do.

It is also possible us minorities are tired of waiting and run away with white people's democracy. Who knows, but Republicans are still pretty screwed, and the facts continue to support that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Take it! We're not doing anything productive with it anyways.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

It doesn't matter that it's difficult. It's the right thing to do. Racism is a lovely thing and it needs to be fought against all day every day, even if it's hard.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Greenwald has shocking expose today, revealing that the US monitors some Muslim Americans with ties to the Middle East.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/article/2014/07/09/under-surveillance/

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

zoux posted:

It's not the margins that matter though, it's turnout. And those groups notoriously bad at turning out during off year elections.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

It doesn't matter that it's difficult. It's the right thing to do. Racism is a lovely thing and it needs to be fought against all day every day, even if it's hard.

Sure, great, I agree. But bumper sticker aphorisms aside, we're talking about the efficacy of framing the immigration debate in racial terms, and my argument is that it is actually counter productive to do so. So while it may feel good to stand up on a chair and point at the Republican party and scream "RACIST" if it's not actually accomplishing anything, Democrats should look for a different strategy.

mcmagic posted:

It's not the margins that matter though, it's turnout. And those groups notoriously bad at turning out during off year elections.

Yeah, but do you think that these groups are unaware of GOP racism? So by pointing out that the current immigration fracas is motivated by racism isn't telling them anything they don't already know, and isn't going to drive turnout, because the GOP has been doing racist poo poo to them for ever. For 2014, at least, you have to convince white voters that a)GOP immigration policies are motivated by racism and b) racism is a bad thing.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 9, 2014

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

zoux posted:

Reminder that as many people blame the inept Katrina response on Obama as on GW Bush so people really don't know what the gently caress.

Only if by "people" you mean GOP primary voters in Louisiana unless there have been other polls about it since then.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Guess who:

"It's time to impeach; and on behalf of American workers and legal immigrants of all backgrounds, we should vehemently oppose any politician on the left or right who would hesitate in voting for articles of impeachment."

Not a sitting politican, writing for Breitbart.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

SubponticatePoster posted:

Oddly enough, using E-Verify is something Freepers screech about a lot. It's never been mandated, probably because large employers (the hallowed job creators) in some fields absolutely rely on illegal labor to drive down wages.

Also the whole "Mexicans would be Republicans except for the racism" thing isn't true. Polls show that most Hispanics are fairly left when it comes to things like abortions and gay rights. The age demographic is pretty even - older people are more conservative on social issues than younger people by far but even then it's not like every Hispanic over the age of 60 is stuck in the 50's.

I don't think it is a job-creator worship thing as much as that they don't like the idea of having to get "permission" from the government to hire someone and also think that E-verify is a step towards the real solution to making sure someone is authorized to be in the US which would be a national photo ID card and centralized database of some sort to confirm the ID card belongs to the person applying, which means biometrics. Can you imagine the freakout if the US government started collecting vein maps of everyone?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

zoux posted:

Guess who:

"It's time to impeach; and on behalf of American workers and legal immigrants of all backgrounds, we should vehemently oppose any politician on the left or right who would hesitate in voting for articles of impeachment."

and sitting at 15,928 comments

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

Guess who:

Palin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Shifty Pony posted:

I don't think it is a job-creator worship thing as much as that they don't like the idea of having to get "permission" from the government to hire someone and also think that E-verify is a step towards the real solution to making sure someone is authorized to be in the US which would be a national photo ID card and centralized database of some sort to confirm the ID card belongs to the person applying, which means biometrics. Can you imagine the freakout if the US government started collecting vein maps of everyone?
Freepers are for it. I meant that the people actually hiring illegal labor in order to save money are against it.

• Locked thread