Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Mortimer posted:

Uh, euro truck sim rules, I don't see a problem here.

Simple. Truck Spergs. You're driving your Vanguard along and shoot at a Truck Sperg but he just pulls a three point turn and calls you a oval office for not using the highway code that all encounters must be ran by.

Eventually cries are made to nerf AV weapons versus trucks because trucks cost Resources and it's ruining the Truck Game. An elitist trucking community forms that ignores the rest of planetside and thinks that only those who drive trucks matter and even then only those who drive Stick Shift trucks because Automatic Gearboxes are ruining the Truck Game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Can you actually transfer a character between servers? I have my mains on Connery, but would like to move to an East coast server. If transfers are available what's a good East Coast server for Purple Dildos? :v:

Zierham
Dec 17, 2004
"Put something in otherwise you get stupid newbie"

Stanley Pain posted:

Can you actually transfer a character between servers? I have my mains on Connery, but would like to move to an East coast server. If transfers are available what's a good East Coast server for Purple Dildos? :v:

Nope (though was on road map previously so who knows when/if it'd happen?). Emerald is the East Coast server and you have GOKU for space spandex, GOON for space 'murica, and K0TH (alt/off-night maybe transitioning to legit full time/main outfit) for space nazis.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zierham posted:

Nope (though was on road map previously so who knows when/if it'd happen?). Emerald is the East Coast server and you have GOKU for space spandex, GOON for space 'murica, and K0TH (alt/off-night maybe transitioning to legit full time/main outfit) for space nazis.

That sucks. Have too many resources :haw: invested in my VS and TR dude on Connery to move for better ping :/

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like EU Server merges are confirmed, exact details pending

Guess we'll lose all those EU low pop refugees we gained after the Emerald merger!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Excelsiortothemax posted:

What the gently caress Emerald TR? While platoons just standing over the edge if Zot's landing pad and firing in to nothing. God it made me so mad that I judged started TKing until I was locked. Territories were falling left and right yet red retards were just shooting their load into the trees.

Emerald TR is an exercise in frustration. They are such utterly incompetent poo poo.

Retire your TR and play VS, or NC. Watch all your irritation at this game disappear.

Jimby Nougats
May 6, 2009

hatesfreedom posted:

That's just how TR is, you have to learn to accept that. Outfits are mostly organized, but general infantry TR is a poo poo show of conscripts and drunks, stoners and house wives, all of them jammed together into one barely thinking swarm of maddened killers. I LOVE THEM ALL.

Best fight I ever had was when we(TR) got warp gated on Indar and could just hop in a tank and be in the battle of our lives in, like, twenty seconds. I wish we got warp gated more often sometimes.

Yesterday I was following a zerg of TR infantry only to come to the conclusion that we were running into the middle of nowhere for no reason. It was hilarious watching 40+ guys come to a stop one by one as confusion dawned. I love TR>

It was great playing with the K0TH platoon for the 2 hours or so last night, it was my first actual squad/platoon fighting with actual people who shot enemies and capped bases as opposed to being in an AoD or other poo poo TR Mattherson outfit platoon and warping to a variety of random bases, hearing the platoon leader go "oh poo poo woops we're in the wrong base EVERYONE PULL FLASHES AND GO TO THE CROWN!!" and then we get there and its the wrong base too (repeat 5x+ more).

I'm also glad everyone got to witness the sheer idiocy of TR as they lost hexes over and over and then the population started plummeting. As soon as most of K0TH got off I was alone again, and like yourself found myself running along with the regular amazing "48+ TR infantry and a few random Lightnings and maybe one Sunderer flood into the middle of a swamp, get stuck on brambles and then everyone realizes the entire blob has no idea where it is even going."

Next time I'll definitely get in Mumble so I can listen along and I'll have to get a new headset/mic as well as my old one is just uncomfortable and barely works anymore. I did my best effort of not needing to hear any orders play by throwing revive nades everywhere and dropping dongs and killing VS and NC with my wondrous TORQ.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fans posted:

Simple. Truck Spergs. You're driving your Vanguard along and shoot at a Truck Sperg but he just pulls a three point turn and calls you a oval office for not using the highway code that all encounters must be ran by.

Eventually cries are made to nerf AV weapons versus trucks because trucks cost Resources and it's ruining the Truck Game. An elitist trucking community forms that ignores the rest of planetside and thinks that only those who drive trucks matter and even then only those who drive Stick Shift trucks because Automatic Gearboxes are ruining the Truck Game.

I want this to happen so bad. I'll buy a ham radio attachment and say "3 niner niner bringing in the payload" to everyone I pass, and I'll tailgate sunderers and harassers. If they add in massive american flag decals on the side I'll never stop playing planetside.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Mortimer posted:

I want this to happen so bad. I'll buy a ham radio attachment and say "3 niner niner bringing in the payload" to everyone I pass, and I'll tailgate sunderers and harassers. If they add in massive american flag decals on the side I'll never stop playing planetside.
Breaker breaker, this is Big Nanites. Truck Actual, do you copy?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
As someone who had never even heard of Planetside until seeing a pre-launch trailer for PS2, what exactly is an ANT?

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Flagrant Abuse posted:

As someone who had never even heard of Planetside until seeing a pre-launch trailer for PS2, what exactly is an ANT?

Picnic-killers.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Flagrant Abuse posted:

It was a little truck about the size of a harasser but slower and drove like rear end. You could take it to the warpgate and deploy it to suck up warpgate juices, you then drove it to a base's NTU tower and deployed it again to fill a base up. If a base hit 0% NTU's due to repairing stuff like turrets and terminals it'd go neutral.

Bases often went neutral because despite there being 100+ friendlies in the hex, nobody wanted to do a loving ANT run. NTU's were a good idea to make it so a stalemate battle would eventually make the base go neutral if the defenders didn't do something that required a bit of offense.

Unfortunately the ANT part of it was not good, because it was boring to do. The one fun part was when you loaded an ANT onto a Loadstar, which is a flying brick that can carry vechicles, and then hot dropped it right onto the NTU tower while all the enemy air in the world tried to stop you.

Zierham
Dec 17, 2004
"Put something in otherwise you get stupid newbie"

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Uh there's a very long answer that I'll leave to someone else but in PS1, each facility had a power level that was depleted over the course of a fight. If it was connected to other facilities and the WG through the lattice it would regain power, but if it was cut off (or I think overly depleted because of long big fights there) then you had to bring Power to it or else it'd lose power and go neutral (loss of spawn points and security/defense features). Defenders could recap it (you defended by holding the control room, so if you got it charged back up you're presumably already in position to recap it). You would refill it by bringing an ANT (Advanced Nanite Transport I think?) unit. First, you'd charge your ANT at the warpgate (or I think you could charge them at certain kinds of bases...?), then you'd either drive it over via convoy (you had to protect it, since it had to travel a sizable distance and into the facility through whatever siege the attackers were laying) or (eventually) you could try to fly it in via Lodestar (Galaxies could transport vehicles some "smaller" vehicles but not ANTs if I remember correctly?). It'd then sit in the courtyard for a little bit transferring its nanites to the facility. Depending on the size of the fight, you could end up having to do this really frequently if you were defending which stopped the defenders from solely nesting in their base indefinitely. Keep in mind that PS1 bases were MUCH more defender-friendly: almost entirely indoors (usually with 1 HUGE structure with a billion corridors, doorways, stairwells, etc), numerous chokepoints, the (outer) doors were also "locked" such that you had to have someone hack into them rather than just traipsing your 40 maxes (or you could try to follow the enemy in), etc.

That about sums it up from PS1 unless I have forgotten something or made some blatant mistake?

Edit: Fans beat me to it.

Zierham fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 9, 2014

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Flagrant Abuse posted:

An ANT was a little one man vehicle that would suck off a warpgate to store a bunch of nanites. You would then drive/be airlifted to a base to sploog your nanites into a receptacle at a base to refill its power. Refilling bases not under attack was boring and lame but loading 3 galaxies up with ANTS and airlifting them into a base under heavy attack at 10% power was one of the best things to happen in PS.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
ANTs had some torque, man. You could get those things up really steep cliffs.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Also ANT races were kind of fun for a few minutes.

kidRiot
Dec 14, 2007

"I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you're only going to kill a man."

Fans posted:

I don't get what the gently caress people loved so much about ANT's. Sure it was sometimes fun to air drop an ANT into a hotly contested base, but it was just busywork otherwise and we don't have loadstars to drop in Ants.

I'm sure there's better ways to do it than just forcing people to play Euro Truck Simulator to top off bases.

That's because ANTs bring in logistics. If the energy crystals or whatever they're called are placed outside the WG's around the world, it will give meaning to tankers and pilots to defend locations outside of bases. The idea behind logistics is that supply matters. If you have to supply a base to make sure people are able to keep pulling vehicles and purchase consumables or they get starved out, then you've made the game that much more dynamic.

I hope that ANT refils have to matter enough to motivate people to just not sit inside spawns in a losing base, but to actively attempt to bring in armor columns or ESF/Lib dive bombs to clear out enemy to provide more energy for said base. The thing is that - energy HAS to matter.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

ANTs were one of those things that PS1 vets look back upon with heavily rose-tinted goggles, claiming that it brought "logistics". What it brought was boring tedium and annoyance for anyone who cared about the ANT, and a stalemate breaker for sane human beings. The Lodestar sort of fixed the ANT tedium -- in that it was the only sane way to actually get the things to their destination -- but ANT runs weren't a perfect storm of amazing or anything. Sure, they added a form of ***~~~LOGISTICS~~~*** that so many people want for whatever reason, but it was really lovely until the Lodestar was introduced.

Driving a slow, vulnerable little shitpile that everyone wants to murder across a loving continent in PS1 was boring as poo poo. Imagine trying to do it in loving PS2, on Amerish: all those hills and super-bendy "why the gently caress would you even make it go that way" roads. Imagine it on Hossin: "Oh, I took a wrong turn. Welp, looks like I'm going in the complete opposite direction of where I was headed now. Oh wait, I just struck an invisible, invincible mine in the water. Welp." Imagine it on Indar: "Why the gently caress am I on Indar?"

It wasn't fun in PS1 unless you were coordinating a Lodestar ANT drop. If they just copied the system into PS2 (which, obviously, lacks a Lodestar equivalent) it'd be lovely and unfun, just like it was in PS1. Of course, this won't stop a lot of the forumside PS1 eulogizers from complaining that the first game was so much better. I love PS1, I do, but it had some dumbshit ideas and driving an ANT across a continent was one of them.

Consequently, making it a thing that doesn't require running to the loving WG is a good thing. Changing it is a good thing. Making it anything OTHER THAN what it was in PS1 is a good thing. Forumside is dumb.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Gals hot-dropping giant ANT-Sunderer turds into bases would be amazing.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

ANTs aren't really a solution - but I can see them being a good step. Rather than having to resupply every base, have it be for keeping disconnected hexes in supply. So you CAN still hold a base that's been cut off, but you need those supply runs to keep churning out tanks/C4/revive grenades for the fight.

They do need to be more interesting than the old ones, though. Use the Harasser as a base rather than the Sunderer and you've got a good step in the right direction. More fragile but quicker and more fun to drive. Plus if it takes out the gun for the ANT module, you could keep a Falcon/Comet/Pounder MAX in the back for at least a little protection (and some amusing chase battles).

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Harasser ANT sounds way better than Sunderer ANT. As long as integral Turbo isn't disabled it basically makes supply runs into Dukes of Hazzard. :clint:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
In terms of cutting a base off from the supply lines, I'd rather it end spawns at cut off bases instead of supply. There's no real purpose to flanking bases in a lattice line, but adding the possibility of losing spawns from a base that is cut off, that's how you make brown shorts.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

You could load an ANT into a Galaxy Day 1 Minute 1 of Planetside. I don't know where this lodestar fixing things is coming from.

But yes most the time ANT runs were bullshit and lame but having to use them to keep a base under siege from running out of power was awesome and still is a good concept. Just having to keep bases topped off everywhere was tedious and retarded.

Tempest_56 posted:

ANTs aren't really a solution - but I can see them being a good step. Rather than having to resupply every base, have it be for keeping disconnected hexes in supply. So you CAN still hold a base that's been cut off, but you need those supply runs to keep churning out tanks/C4/revive grenades for the fight.

From what I read on the Roadmap I think this is the route they are going to go which sounds pretty good to me.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 9, 2014

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Not to be the lone voice of dissent here but this sounds awful. Nobody is going to want to do this, and those that do will get burnt the gently caress out because they'll have no support. The options are going to be "grind out some certs here until it runs dry then go somewhere else" or "earn zero certs while not doing enough to have an impact because nobody can make it to the target alive then go somewhere else" and to my mind, there's only one choice there.

You'll pull it, get vaporized in seconds by Lancers from 2 hexes away that don't render, then give up on this whole meta.

Give it to Valkyries as a module that replaces their crew spots I guess? It's not going to work AT ALL on the ground. It sounds like it never did in PS1 either and vehicles are way less likely to reach an objective in PS2, especially when they're forced to follow known routes like you'd expect if you have to go from the warpgate.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Facilities which are connected to the lattice but which are experiencing heavy fighting for a long period of time will slowly drain of power, too. Disconnecting the facility from the lattice will just make that happen more quickly. So fights which are essentially stalemates will demand ANTs to keep the defense viable, and so will fights where the attackers get encircled and cut off.

Epic High Five posted:

Not to be the lone voice of dissent here but this sounds awful. Nobody is going to want to do this, and those that do will get burnt the gently caress out because they'll have no support. The options are going to be "grind out some certs here until it runs dry then go somewhere else" or "earn zero certs while not doing enough to have an impact because nobody can make it to the target alive then go somewhere else" and to my mind, there's only one choice there.

You'll pull it, get vaporized in seconds by Lancers from 2 hexes away that don't render, then give up on this whole meta.

Keep in mind the intent is for both sunderers and harassers to be able to equip ANT modules. Presumably someone doing it solo would pull a harasser, which would be far more likely to be able to live through lancer camps or anchored prowlers or whatever else.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 9, 2014

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

BadLlama posted:

You could load an ANT into a Galaxy Day 1 Minute 1 of Planetside. I don't know where this lodestar fixing things is coming from.
Didn't you have to land the Galaxy to unload the vehicle inside? This was often... difficult... in a PS1 base courtyard.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

You could hover near the ground and then lock the galaxy and the ANT would roll out the back. It would be fine as long as you weren't too high up.

But yeah if they add this to PS2 and also don't give the galaxy the ability to carry vehicles or something it will end up pretty awful.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Yet it totally worked in PS1. It wasn't a fun job but people did it because it was a good amount of experience. You don't even know how the system originally worked though so I have no idea why you are trying to point out flaws with it in the original.

Aaod
May 29, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

Give it to Valkyries as a module that replaces their crew spots I guess? It's not going to work AT ALL on the ground. It sounds like it never did in PS1 either and vehicles are way less likely to reach an objective in PS2, especially when they're forced to follow known routes like you'd expect if you have to go from the warpgate.

Might give air spergs something to do aside from gang loving newbie pilots. Unfortunately, they would have to work on the rest of the air game for that to work though.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Resource revamp is on PTS. Here are the new costs as they stand (900 nanites is the max, though it's erroneously 750 on the PTS)

quote:

You could only earn Infantry Resource, which will be change name to Nanites in the future, in PTS right now. You gain 60 Nanites per minute without boost. Because there is not patch yesterday, something seems bug, ex Nanites cap should be 900, but is still 750. And all cost of vehicle showed in game is inaccuracy. After test, accurate vehicle cost is below:
ATV 120
Harasser 240
Sundy 240 (seems bug)
Light 420
ESF 420
MAX 420
MBT 540
Lib 540
Gal 540
Frag Grenade 60
EMP Grenade 30
Decoy Grenade 30
Flash Grenade 30
Smoke Grenade 30
Heal Grenade 30
Revive Grenade 90
Sticky Grenade 60
AV Grenade 60
Concussion Grenade 90
C4 90
Anti-Person Mine 90
Anti-Tank Mine 90
Restoration Kit 30(Finally!)
Medical Kit 60

Depending on how resource slowdown and "holds" on resources put against the nanite cap are implemented, there's a good chance that anything >450 nanites will not be able to be chain pulled.

Revive grenade change is pretty killer, 3x the cost of most other special grenades and 1.5x the cost of a frag. Doesn't look like it'll prevent you from just spamming them if that's all you're using your nanites for though.

Resto kit now has a purpose! It's cheaper now IN ADDITION TO healing for less overall, more slowly, and making you a hugely obvious target the entire time it's running!

Sedisp posted:

Yet it totally worked in PS1. It wasn't a fun job but people did it because it was a good amount of experience. You don't even know how the system originally worked though so I have no idea why you are trying to point out flaws with it in the original.

Because the original isn't being implemented here

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

:snoop:420 Pull MAXes everyday. :snoop:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Nope, you could eject from gals at any time. Anyone who drove an Ant any distance greater then 10m total in a run wasn't in an outfit.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Because the original isn't being implemented here

But... then...why are you pointing out flaws in the original? :psyduck:

We have no idea what their plans for PS2 ANT runs are even going to be other than "They might exist".

Aaod
May 29, 2004
So in other words to kill an enemy sunderer it is going to cost me 90X2 mines +60 sticky nade +240 vehicle=480 or 1 sunderer kill every 8 minutes. To me this feels like they are trying to discourage people from specializing or using items so that they use guns instead... when the guns are rather unbalanced. Edit: That or they want to sell more resource boosts/subscriptions.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sedisp posted:

But... then...why are you pointing out flaws in the original? :psyduck:

We have no idea what their plans for PS2 ANT runs are even going to be other than "They might exist".

A lot of people have listed things that made the ANT system worthwhile, like the Lodestar and relatively smaller maps. PS2 has none of these things

A lot of people have listed a lot of things that made the ANT system lovely, like being an easy #1 target to the entire map. PS2 has these things and they don't render

I think it could work, but unless it's on an ArghySundy with 150,000hp and 90% resist to all weapons it's never going to work on the ground. Valkyrie seems like a natural fit for this as it is designed to carry a bit of cargo without being an easy rear end target.

If it's on the Harasser it's just going to be "let's pull 90 ANT Harassers and hope enough get to the base!" as the meta and that's just dumb

edit - looks like the sundy price isn't a bug, it's intended to be 240 resources

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 9, 2014

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

If it's on the Harasser it's just going to be "let's pull 90 ANT Harassers and hope enough get to the base!" as the meta and that's just dumb

This sounds like the best thing ever, srry.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
They need to halve the costs for grenades/mines/kits. Max Bandolier Medic would cost you 85% the cost of a MAX to deploy as, and throw in 2x C4 and spawning once as a Medic is weighted exactly as heavily as pulling a MBT. Granted only if you use everything, but still a bit much. :psyduck::soe::psyduck:

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

A lot of people have listed things that made the ANT system worthwhile, like the Lodestar and relatively smaller maps. PS2 has none of these things

A lot of people have listed a lot of things that made the ANT system lovely, like being an easy #1 target to the entire map. PS2 has these things and they don't render

Please read this:

Sedisp posted:

Maybe. Just maybe, they don't intend to have ANTs work identical to how they did in PS1?

Attaching it to an air vehicle would just give QRY an actual reason to blob so no let's not do that.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
After playing around with it, I can't say I am happy at all with the new resource system, everything costs way too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

A Tartan Tory posted:

After playing around with it, I can't say I am happy at all with the new resource system, everything costs way too much.

Yeah just a cursory glance at the beta costs made me feel that way. When AV weapons of all flavors are free on the most durable class having a tank be over half your resources is just silly.

• Locked thread