Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
:doh: I was thinking the 4.0 was the width of the rim, forgetting that's not how the old inch measurements worked. Thanks skreemer :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCoconutman
Sep 13, 2007
Who took the money from the house fund? the coconutman, Fuck the coconutman
Thanks to both of you

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Is there a trick to not pinching tubes when putting new tires on? I've succeeded in ruining two of them while putting new tires on my bike. I coated the tube in talc, and am using tire spoons + bead buddy to work the bead, but I don't seem to have the magic touch and I'm just about ready to throw in the towel. I even partially inflated then deflated the tubes.

I've never had a problem with bicycle tires, but I'm on the verge of losing my poo poo with these :bang:

Edit: Think I figured out the source of my frustration! Stupid newbie me asked the guy at the parts counter for his recommendation on tires, and I walked out with tubeless tires for my tubed KLR, aka stiffer rim and sidewall. :suicide:

I'm positive that's what's making my life a living hell. After throwing down for tools and wheel weights to DIY this poo poo, I'm just gonna take it back to the shop and pay for someone else to deal with this nightmare :devil:

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 4, 2014

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I'm looking for new tires for my 600 transalp.

I've run Anakee 3 tires and they've been good, they've lasted about 12k km / 7,5k miles and probably got some 2-3000 km left atleast. I've never really felt they lacked grip on sealed surfaces dry or wet. Only small scares I've had was on a gravel road where they had recently spread new gravel and used really fine almost sand gavel. On other gravel roads they've been fine.

Alternatives are:

Pirelli Scorpion Trail
Dunlop Trailmax
Metzeler Tourance Exp (Next is tubeless only)

All are about the same price, except for the tourance which is about 30% more in price.

Anyone used the pirellies or the dunlops?

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Woke up Saturday morning to go for a ride, found my rear down 10PSI overnight. Threw it up on the stand and low and behold, nice nail stuck all the way in. I'd be saltier but both tires were 6 years old and due for replacement anyway.

Thanks to this thread I'm now rolling a new set of PR4s. Even taking it easy the handling improvements are pretty noticeable. I'm looking forward to scrubbing them in and seeing how more spirited cornering feels.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm breaking in these new Pilot Road 4's with a bunch of city cruising. After about 60 miles of highway and city riding, I realized last night I still have an inch and a half or so of chicken strips on both sides. I suck. :(

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

They don't matter, don't worry about it.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Guy came in the other day needing to replace his Pirelli Angels. Says he got 23,000 out of them on his CBR1000.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

ShaneB posted:

I'm breaking in these new Pilot Road 4's with a bunch of city cruising. After about 60 miles of highway and city riding, I realized last night I still have an inch and a half or so of chicken strips on both sides. I suck. :(

If you're city riding hard enough to completely scrub your tires right to the edge theres a 99.9999% chance you're riding like a dangerous rear end in a top hat.

Don't worry about em.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You shouldn't worry about them but secretly everyone is judging your fat strips

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Don't fat-shame, kthx.

tzam
Mar 17, 2009
Is there an up to date guide available anywhere with tyre comparisons for track usage? I'm not sure how different types from different manufacturers compare; I'm after something grippy for occasional track days in the novice / intermediate classes, but primarily ride on the streets, including commuting once or twice a week.

Bike is a 2009 zx6r; currently running pirelli Diablo rosso 2s, not sure if Michelin pilot power 3 would be better on track? I am not too keen on swapping tyres for the occasional track day, I'm lazy.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah, do pilot power 3s and if you start to pass more than you get passed in the intermediates, swap out to DOT race rubber.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Opinions on the BT014 for use on my '00 R1? My favourite :britain: tyre :britain: guys http://www.fwr.co.uk/ have them on a ridiculous offer right now.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Front tire on my SV is 8 years old. I have a gsxr 1000 wheel, so not the usual SV options. Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2 ok?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

M42 posted:

Front tire on my SV is 8 years old. I have a gsxr 1000 wheel, so not the usual SV options. Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2 ok?

Front tires sizes are the same from SV to Gixxer (120/70-17), but yes, a Diablo Rosso 2 is a good all around tire.

ReelBigLizard posted:

Opinions on the BT014 for use on my '00 R1? My favourite :britain: tyre :britain: guys http://www.fwr.co.uk/ have them on a ridiculous offer right now.

I haven't heard the "love" reviews from other tires, but they're still good.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Oh, that's easier then, thanks man!

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

I haven't heard the "love" reviews from other tires, but they're still good.

Cool, I'm sure they'll be better than the 4-year old, track-day roasted Pirelli Rosso Corsas it's got right now. They're sketchy as gently caress.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Anyone have experience with Avon's Storm or Avaro? I'm shopping for a Concours, whose weird rear wheel limits my options a lot. Thinking about putting a Storm on the front and either a Storm or Avaro for the rear, probably the latter for longer life (I think I have that right).

I have an Avon Venom on the front now that I don't love, but their other tires seem to be well-liked among Connie riders. The bike's not really big enough for the Venom I think, which may explain why I don't like the way it rides, but that's all they had in South Dakota when I needed a new tire.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
So my tempter needs new tires this season and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a rounded sport touring.

The bike is my only means of transport though and I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for tires that can handle rain and a little bit of gravel/dirt better than others.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Pilot road 4s are the go to - they'll be meh off-road but that's the life with decent street tires. Don't think you'll want a full compromise tire for the occasional dirt road.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I've been riding Pilot Street 2s (the only type that fit on my little bike) and they've been phenomenal in the rain. Heavy rain, wet pavement, etc. Not a single slip in the 3 months of regular rain I've been riding in. My vote is for the Pilots as well.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Can I run a radial front and a bias-ply rear? This is on a gs500 and it's just street riding.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

evensevenone posted:

Can I run a radial front and a bias-ply rear? This is on a gs500 and it's just street riding.

Honestly, no idea. At the normal speeds for a GS500 it shouldn't be a problem. If you're just riding around town/commuting and not looking for track time or going a zillion plus mph through some corners I can't think of where the difference would be a big deal.

There are a few tires out there that will fit and are decent. Bridgestone BT-45 tires last a long time but I personally didn't like them in cold weather (they get noticeably harder). Pirelli Port Demons happen to be my favorite for this type, very sticky, they wore evenly and predictably though I only got about 7K miles out of them. A lot of the guys I used to ride with swore that the Avon Road Riders were the best but I never tried them personally.

You can get away with running radials front and rear if you with the Michelin Pilot Street tires (which work excellent from what I heard)
http://motorcycle.michelinman.com/tires/michelin-pilot-street-radial#dim

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 10, 2015

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Is brand-new tires being hella slick still a thing? I hear modern mold release doesn't cause those problems anymore, just want to make sure.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
No, just take it easy as you increase the lean on the tires until they are fully scrubbed in.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

M42 posted:

Is brand-new tires being hella slick still a thing? I hear modern mold release doesn't cause those problems anymore, just want to make sure.

That's a no on the mold release, yes on the sligtly slick. The surface of a tire needs to be a little roughed up before real use. I do slaloms and slowly increase the radius, that seems to do the trick nicely. Takes about all of ten minutes or thereabouts.

About a year ago at a dealership I saw a dude on a new gsx in an all-new suzuki getup drop it in a corner when driving off the lot. He wasn't trying to get on the gas too hard or anything; just leaned it too much. He was cursing up storm. I probably would too, if I had my parents and girlfriend right there as a witness to the whole thing. Yeech.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I tried to go somewhere reallllly easyyyyyy in moderate rain with brand new tires on once, didn't make it out of the driveway (slight curve uphill).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Meh, I rode a SV650 home 40-50mi in an Arizona monsoon with brand new PR3s on it. Did perfectly fine.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

BlackMK4 posted:

Meh, I rode a SV650 home 40-50mi in an Arizona monsoon with brand new PR3s on it. Did perfectly fine.

This. I rode home 100km with a brand new pair of PR4s and had no issues. Just gotta back off like you normally would if you feel it slipping :/

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

ought ten posted:

Anyone have experience with Avon's Storm or Avaro? I'm shopping for a Concours, whose weird rear wheel limits my options a lot. Thinking about putting a Storm on the front and either a Storm or Avaro for the rear, probably the latter for longer life (I think I have that right).

I have an Avon Venom on the front now that I don't love, but their other tires seem to be well-liked among Connie riders. The bike's not really big enough for the Venom I think, which may explain why I don't like the way it rides, but that's all they had in South Dakota when I needed a new tire.

Do they make a PR4 GT that fits?

Probably 2500 miles on my PR4s so far on the ZRX, about 70/30 highway and canyons. They're still looking perfect, and even in the rain we got here in socal they never once gave me a worry. The couple times they did slip it was totally predictable and also my fault.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Connie 14 or 10? PR4 GT will fit the 14. No Michelin tires will fit the 1000.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Pope Mobile posted:

Connie 14 or 10? PR4 GT will fit the 14. No Michelin tires will fit the 1000.

10, that's the whole problem. Tire choices getting narrower each year. I look forward to the day I have a bike that can fit these magical :airquote:Pilot Roads:airquote:

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I replaced my worn out PR3 with PR4 last year and I don't like them. In slow turns the bike wants to fall into the corners and I find myself putting feed down all the time when creeping through gridlocked traffic. With a good and proper lean angle they feel more planted but between around 5 and 30 degree lean they just don't feel stable. The grip is fine though.

Anyone else have negative experiences with the PR4?

I have experimented with different pressures but i'm still not satisfied. I'm riding an FZ6 with recommended 33psi front and 36psi rear. I'm actually considering going back to PR3 even though the PR4 were expensive and pretty new.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Your tires were squared off and now you're feeling a tire with proper profile. You'll get used to them quickly.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Yeah, I don't feel that at all dude. I'd agree with being used to a squared off tire.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

iwentdoodie posted:

Yeah, I don't feel that at all dude. I'd agree with being used to a squared off tire.

This. You'll get used to them.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Also try relaxing your arms. Changes to the bike can cause you to tense up, robbing feel and making the bike feel flighty and lame to ride. Relax, wiggle elbows, push gently and smoothly on the inside bar with a loose grip.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Thanks guys, I'm closing in on 2000 km on the PR4 but maybe more time is all I need. I found one review claiming the PR4 front has a "sportier profile" than the PR3 front but the rear should be the same. Is it possible that the updated front profile makes the rear feel weird? I'm not much of a tire expert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

makka-setan posted:

the bike wants to fall into the corners

The effortless, telepathic handling is the best part about new tires.

• Locked thread