Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Senor Candle posted:

Velvet! I forgot he has only done two there, I should have said any of his indie stuff.

It's ok, lots of people confuse Icon and Image. But yeah, anything creator-owned he's done is worth checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Borrowed some of that Bendis/Maleev Daredevil run from my buddy and it's great. My only disappointment is knowing there's probably not a lot about the internal world of Vanessa Fisk. You could make a pretty great movie out of that stuff and thus far she's only had a few pages.

He didn't have the Brubaker issues or Superior Foes. Is Marvel Unlimited or whatever the on-demand service is worth it? And for non-Marvel stuff like Zero, is there any option better than just driving down to the comic shop and crossing my fingers?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Borrowed some of that Bendis/Maleev Daredevil run from my buddy and it's great. My only disappointment is knowing there's probably not a lot about the internal world of Vanessa Fisk. You could make a pretty great movie out of that stuff and thus far she's only had a few pages.
Jason Aaron had a standalone run of PunisherMax after Ennis finished up, and Vanessa Fisk plays a pretty big role there. (MAX is a different universe/whatever, so it's a different V. Fisk, but still.)

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 7, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

He didn't have the Brubaker issues or Superior Foes. Is Marvel Unlimited or whatever the on-demand service is worth it? And for non-Marvel stuff like Zero, is there any option better than just driving down to the comic shop and crossing my fingers?

Whenever you get around to it she does appear more in Brubaker's run though he does things differently with her.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Check out the digital comics thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611527&pagenumber=18&perpage=40

Or buy collections on Amazon.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Marvel Unlimited adds new issues six months after they are published. They have pretty much everything published after 1995, but are missing long chunks of runs from before then. It has the entirety of the Bendis and Brubaker runs.

It's $10 bucks a month, and for that price I have read literally thousands of comics since February. It's much much better on a tablet, but it may not matter depending on your tolerance for reading on a computer screen at a desk (my tolerance for that is very low).

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Hey guys!

I'm looking for some Marvel tpb's that are COSMIC (!!!) in nature. I mostly want brilliant artwork on a grand scale, but it wouldn't hurt if there was a decent story that involved Galactus or some Cellestials. What should I get?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Seymour Butts posted:

Hey guys!

I'm looking for some Marvel tpb's that are COSMIC (!!!) in nature. I mostly want brilliant artwork on a grand scale, but it wouldn't hurt if there was a decent story that involved Galactus or some Cellestials. What should I get?

Fantastic Four 48-51, annihilation, annihilation conquest, nova, guardians of the galaxy, infinity gauntlet, way of kings, realm of kings, Thanos Imperative.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Thor: God of Thunder - The God Butcher, The God Bomb and The Last Days of Midgard whenever that comes out.

The stories are split into different ages of Thor. In The Last Days of Midgard while the modern Thor's part is grounded on Earth, the ancient Thor of the far future is battling Galactus for the planet, which is ruined and devoid of life.

The art is loving brilliant.

The trade I'm skipping between God Bomb and Last Days of Midgard had mediocre art and didn't spend much time at all in space.

e: Space Shark.

ee: The new Silver Surfer has amazing Mike Allred art. People are probably gonna follow this post deriding the author, but I think it's great fun. You should try it.

Only three issues old though, so no collection yet.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 8, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Seymour Butts posted:

Hey guys!

Hickman's FF ends with an amazingly cosmic arc.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
I've been getting into cosmic Marvel as well, but was wondering about where to start with Nova. I've heard mixed things about the latest series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Palmtree Panic posted:

I've been getting into cosmic Marvel as well, but was wondering about where to start with Nova. I've heard mixed things about the latest series.

Start with Annihilation and continue into the previous ongoing.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Could I read all of these on Marvel Ultimate? $10/month seems like an awesome deal and I don't think I mind reading comics on my computer. I have a pretty crappy netbook, so it would have to be compatible with Chrome.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Seymour Butts posted:

Could I read all of these on Marvel Ultimate? $10/month seems like an awesome deal and I don't think I mind reading comics on my computer. I have a pretty crappy netbook, so it would have to be compatible with Chrome.
Marvel Unlimited has pretty much everything from 1995 to six months prior to current, but is missing stuff from prior to that. It works fine in Chrome, and if you want to see how it runs on your computer, there's free sample issues you can check out.

http://marvel.com/comics/unlimited

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It also doesn't have MAX stuff. I don't like either version of the reader (reg or beta if it's still beta) on computer. It's decent on a tablet.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's also missing random issues, or several random issues in a row in the middle of some runs for some reason.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

So if there's something fairly street level, grounded in reality and not terribly eyerolling, I'd be curious. I read a little of the 2006 Moon Knight and it was probably the upper limit I could handle on eyerolling stuff. I saw just a tiny bit in the forums of what I guess is the new run and it looked kinda cool? It doesn't have to be Batman or "Marvel Presents Psychotic Batman in White." I'm also into con artists, politics, spies, conspiracies, assassins, terrorists, heists -- just stuff that adds a bit of the fantastical to reality rather than time-traveling robot demons.

Checkmate by Greg Rucka
Chase by J. H. Williams III and Doug Moench
Scalped by Jason Aaron and R. M. Guera
DMZ by Brian Wood and Riccardo Burchielli
Sex Criminals by Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky
Scarlet by Bendis and Maleev

The Batwoman comis is also pretty much a spy comic.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 9, 2014

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Seymour Butts posted:

I've posted it before, but it's a good resource. I used this as a guide when I first started using Marvel Unlimited: Best Comics on Marvel Digital Unlimited.

It really is best on an iPad, but if you want to use a computer, make sure you use the original reader, not the beta. The formatting they use for the new Beta reader made some comics unreadable. The original reader is much more lenient and allows you to move the image around.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You can see the whole catalog without registering, I think, so you can check out if what you want to read is on there.

It's 10 bucks, sign up for a month, see if you use it enough to get value. There's at least one TPB's worth of material on it that you probably wanted to read anyway, and a month is cheaper than a TPB, so it's a no-brainer for me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Alhazred posted:

Checkmate by Greg Rucka
Chase by J. H. Williams III and Doug Moench
Scalped by Jason Aaron and R. M. Guera
DMZ by Brian Wood and Riccardo Burchielli
Sex Criminals by Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky
Scarlet by Bendis and Maleev

The Batwoman comis is also pretty a spy comic.

Queen & Country by Greg Rucka
Criminal by Ed Brubaker
Parker by Darwyn Cooke

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Parker by Darwyn Cooke
Those Parker hardcover standalones are Pretty Awesome.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So I got a dickton of stuff to check out that's gonna keep me busy for a while but I gotta say the Bendis/Maleev Daredevil run owns and Superior Foes of Spider-Man is goddamn hilarious.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
What's the status of Image Comics' Bedlam series? I've read the first two trade paperbacks and am having trouble finding information on any further issues.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
My kid loves reading and likes the Marvel films/X-men and old Batman cartoons, so I've been letting her pick comics off the self but honestly anytime she's not just grabbed an Adventure Time or MLP comic and picked up something else she's not been all that fond of it after ten minutes.

So I was wondering what's on the self at moment that a six year would enjoy so I can maybe point her towards it and see how she feels.
Or should I carry on like I have letting her just pick at random and develop her own likes without interfering.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

By "old Batman cartoons" do you mean the nineties series or stuff before that? Because if it's the latter she might dig on Batman '66, which is an ongoing series done in the goofy style of silver-age Batman.

Also I'm pretty sure Marvel has a comics line for readers her age, Marvel Super Squad or something like that? I don't have any experience with it, I'm sure someone else here can help you though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lumberjanes, Bee and Puppycat, IDW Cartoon Network comics, Tiny Titans, Scribblenauts Unmasked.

Can't speak to the quality of any of 'em, but I think they're liked and appropriate.

Jeff Parker is doing an Angry Birds comic. Maybe that's secretly good :shrug:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 13, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It pretty much solely comes down to how much (if at all) she likes the show, but as long as she's reading comics based on cartoons, DC has a Teen Titans Go book that's pretty humorous. It was digital only but I think they're starting to collect them in actual print comics.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

There's also Bravest Warriors, I've not read it myself now but it looks to be much the same style as Adventure Time type stuff.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Has Marvel done anything comparable to DC's Gotham Central?

I know dick all about comics, but I know the following:

1) I enjoyed Gotham Central. I liked that it didn't shy from being bleak but in ways that were relatable to the everyday human condition. When you feel like maybe it'd be better if Batman didn't intervene somewhere and instead the ugly alternative played out and you have to question your commitment to certain fundamental values, that's pretty cool.

2) Meanwhile the standard that I see in comics and especially if I'm looking to get into the giant stable of Marvel dudes is "and then so and so went to space and resurrected a baby villain from an alternate dimension and sent him back in time."

So if there's something fairly street level, grounded in reality and not terribly eyerolling, I'd be curious. I read a little of the 2006 Moon Knight and it was probably the upper limit I could handle on eyerolling stuff. I saw just a tiny bit in the forums of what I guess is the new run and it looked kinda cool? It doesn't have to be Batman or "Marvel Presents Psychotic Batman in White." I'm also into con artists, politics, spies, conspiracies, assassins, terrorists, heists -- just stuff that adds a bit of the fantastical to reality rather than time-traveling robot demons.

I know there have been a few responses to this already but I wanted to throw in:

The current Moon Knight run by Warren Ellis. In this one, Moon Knight is just a crazy guy. No other super heroes popping up, nothing super natural in nature, no super powers. Its loving awesome. 5 issues in and the current writer artist team is only doing one more so its easy to pick up due to its brief, standalone nature.

And Southern Bastards. No super heroes at all, just a guy going back to his home town in Alabama after a long time away and finding it being controlled by a gang. Its only 3 issues deep right now so you dont have much to catch up on.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

The current Moon Knight run by Warren Ellis. In this one, Moon Knight is just a crazy guy. No other super heroes popping up, nothing super natural in nature, no super powers. Its loving awesome. 5 issues in and the current writer artist team is only doing one more so its easy to pick up due to its brief, standalone nature.

Nothing supernatural? You remember the issue where Moon Knight fought ghosts right?

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Starsnostars posted:

Nothing supernatural? You remember the issue where Moon Knight fought ghosts right?

Punk ghosts, mind you.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

What are some good comics about the Flash? Pretty much all my experience of the character/s comes from Infinite Crisis and Final Crisis. I like the contrast of their mundane family relationships with crazy cosmic adventures, reminds me of Animal Man. That scene in Infinite Crisis where his wife goes into the Speed Force with him was cool even though I have no clue who those characters are.

Also hopefully something that's an easy introduction because it's very hard to get my head around all the different Flashes who all mostly look the same. I think there was even a scene in Infinite Crisis where someone says "Hey, it's Flash #3!" and he's like "No, I'm Flash #2 from a different time period wearing Flash #3's outfit."

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Sailor Viy posted:

What are some good comics about the Flash? Pretty much all my experience of the character/s comes from Infinite Crisis and Final Crisis. I like the contrast of their mundane family relationships with crazy cosmic adventures, reminds me of Animal Man. That scene in Infinite Crisis where his wife goes into the Speed Force with him was cool even though I have no clue who those characters are.

Also hopefully something that's an easy introduction because it's very hard to get my head around all the different Flashes who all mostly look the same. I think there was even a scene in Infinite Crisis where someone says "Hey, it's Flash #3!" and he's like "No, I'm Flash #2 from a different time period wearing Flash #3's outfit."

Mark Waid's Flash run (Wally West), Geoff Johns' Flash run (Wally West) and the new 52 Manapul and Buccellato Flash run (Barry Allen).

So that's The Flash v2 from about 62 to 225 (or 'Born to Run' to 'Rogue War' if you're reading trades) and The Flash v4 from 0-25 (or 'Move Forward' to 'Reverse' if you're reading trades).

They're all pretty rad though personally the Johns run is my favourite, especially the 'Blitz' storyline.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Starsnostars posted:

I do. Hes crazy. Im pretty sure there were no ghosts but I suppose thats my interpretation of things. I believe it was meant to represent one of his personalities figuring out what had happened before his conscious personality and using imagined ghosts to lead him in the right direction. He also didnt travel to a magical mushroom land, you know what I mean?

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 15, 2014

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I just came to the end of Remender's run on Venom. Do I stop now, or bravely press on into Cullen Bunn territory?

Edit: The next arc is called "Monsters of Evil," that does not sound promising.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I do. Hes crazy. Im pretty sure there were no ghosts but I suppose thats my interpretation of things. I believe it was meant to represent one of his personalities figuring out what had happened before his conscious personality and using imagined ghosts to lead him in the right direction. He also didnt travel to a magical mushroom land, you know what I mean?

Well he didn't do that if you take it at face value either. It was an induced dream.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Well he didn't do that if you take it at face value either. It was an induced dream.

I think we are saying the same thing but im not sure

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sarchasm posted:

I just came to the end of Remender's run on Venom. Do I stop now, or bravely press on into Cullen Bunn territory?

It's alright, but I honestly didn't think that Remender's run was anything spectacular.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sarchasm posted:

I recommend stopping now. The only real moment of note to come is a brief team-up with Toxin Eddie Brock. There's a lot of dumb bullshit around that, including a very stupid demon subplot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

What's the correct order for reading Astro City and all the various spinoffs, and are there any I should skip?

I read it years and years ago, but the two things I associated the most with it were apparently from Top 10 and Powers.