Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Somethingdumb posted:

There is no such thing as a reliable text guide to DW1

It's the Voynich manuscript of videogames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Part 14

In which much more happens than has been typical of late (you should watch this one).

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Congratulations on defeating the first real "boss" of this game. I'd say you're not really late in fighting him or overpowerd: while he didn't have many opportunities for attack, when he did land one he ate through half your HP.
In the future, you might want to use a Digimon of the same type of the "boss" you're facing, as to learn their techniques. Meramon didn't really have anything worth learning, I think (Magma Bomb you can get from Goburimon) so it's not a big deal in this case.

Feeding your Digimon at the restaurant gets really expensive, but it does make it much more feasible to get Ultimates.

The Digimon that you can catch is actually normal-flavoured Seadramon and he can do a bunch of other stuff for you if you catch him. It's not going to be relevant for a while though.

e: Does the effect of Chips really transfer from one Digimon to its descendant? I thought they only worked on a single Digimon and hoarded them like a madman.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 3, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

paradoxGentleman posted:

e: Does the effect of Chips really transfer from one Digimon to its descendant? I thought they only worked on a single Digimon and hoarded them like a madman.

They're transferred like any other stats, a percentage based on tamer level.

The later you get and the more resources you have, the less you need chips to get anywhere, though. Probably useful to burn them all early on so your first guy can fight his way to riches and fame and you don't need to dodge every single wild digimon in any place rougher than Tropical Jungle like I did.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
I wonder if they know about the money making trick OFS did in his LP. and if so, hope it's used only sparingly to cut down on grinding.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

I think you guys are still missing uh... what'shisname the fish guy that helped you get to the jungle. You can go back to where you met him and he'll expand the item shop again.

Also, that final fight in the video was great.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

AriadneThread posted:

I think you guys are still missing uh... what'shisname the fish guy that helped you get to the jungle. You can go back to where you met him and he'll expand the item shop again.
Oh man, I just re-watched the video and yes, they are still missing Coelamon, which is a shame because he's basically a freebie.
Remember to go there in the late afternoon!

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Considering that they still haven't gotten any Porta-Potties or Auto-Pilots I think they really should do it as fast as possible.

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

I'm pretty sure that for the second meeting with Coelamon (as in after he opens the way to the tropical jungle) he will be at the Coela Point at any time of day.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, you were really pleased to see your Greymon bite it.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The later you get and the more resources you have, the less you need chips to get anywhere, though. Probably useful to burn them all early on so your first guy can fight his way to riches and fame and you don't need to dodge every single wild digimon in any place rougher than Tropical Jungle like I did.

I don't think this is a bad thing, unless you're trying to learn a tech or going for some bonus condition for digivolving fighting wild digimon is just wasting HP and MP for no reason since a gym session rises the stats like, what, 10 regular battles? It's one of the things I had to "unlearn" from other RPGs to actually start to get things done in Digimon World.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Part 15

AriadneThread posted:

Seriously? God drat it... Since we took a break for so long I couldn't remember things correctly, so I just assumed that Coelamon had set up the shop first and then Betamon replaced him.

Glazius posted:

Man, you were really pleased to see your Greymon bite it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM6R9recjS4

19LettersLong fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 8, 2014

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
Why don't you guys ever praise or scold your Digimon after fights? Praise him when he follows orders and does well, Scold otherwise.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
"Money is weird and everything's stupid." - Keith Carberry

I wish I could go back in time and change my senior yearbook quote.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
My school forgot to put me in the yearbook.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

I liked how you guys kept trying and failing to go into Monochromon's shop in the Great Canyon. First you mistook the toilet for the entrance, and then your next attempts were better but you kept trying to walk into the space just to the right of the actual entrance.

They probably could have done a better job then just throwing a sign over a splotch of black on the background when designing that

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

It took me years to figure out that the toilet was a toilet. I only found out cause my digimon needed to go one day when I was walking past it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh god don't reset when it forces you to redo fights. Unless you're going for an ultimate then dying at the champion level isn't that big a deal.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 8, 2014

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Xoidanor posted:

Oh god don't reset when it forces you to redo fights. Unless you're going for an ultimate then dying at the champion level isn't that big a deal.

Dying at the champion level means 4 episodes of digimon raising to get a new digimon that can make progress in the game.

Riobs
Oct 30, 2011

Hey Kyle and/or Keith, I've just noticed you could sell your giant meats and sirloins and just buy regular old meat and have more money overall. Only downside I can see is you have to go to the item screen more times per feeding.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

ChairMaster posted:

Dying at the champion level means 4 episodes of digimon raising to get a new digimon that can make progress in the game.

Remember they get three lives per digimon so they can gently caress up twice without needing to train a new guy up from a baby again. Although if they do loss all three harts I think its way worse then having their digimon die of old age. If I remember correctly you only get one choice of egg and I think you lose most of the techniques you have learned.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

The egg you get is random and the bonus stats are heavily reduced. Dying that way sucks, but I'm pretty sure you do keep all of your techniques. No guarantee your new monster can use them though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

"It's not gross because it's sexual. It's gross because it's romantic." --Keith

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Those bandits did more damage to each other than to you. I wonder if this battle was meant to be some sort of tutorial on how certain moves affect multiple targets?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

are there any other tutorials in the whole game?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

Birdramon teaches you to hoard disks for bosses or die.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Real hurthling! posted:

The game doesn't teach you poo poo except like the basics and only some of them but only in the vaguest, least helpful way possible.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The game doesn't teach you poo poo except like the basics and only some of them but only in the vaguest, least helpful way possible.

right so the guy i'm responding too is being too generous to the game was my point.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Xoidanor posted:

Birdramon teaches you to hoard disks for bosses or die.

Teaches you a bit like the Internet teaches old ladies to be wary of Nigerian princes.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I guess since you've only got one dude at a time it doesn't matter, but it's hilarious to see the enemy wiping itself out with full-screen attacks.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Glazius posted:

I guess since you've only got one dude at a time it doesn't matter, but it's hilarious to see the enemy wiping itself out with full-screen attacks.

It becomes kind of a running theme later on.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I like that they introduce the concept with Ogremon though. He absolutely seems like he's incompetent enough to KO his own men on accident.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I like that they introduce the concept with Ogremon though. He absolutely seems like he's incompetent enough to KO his own men on accident.

And to let them use attacks capable of harming him.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Part 16

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
If you guys are seriously trying to get the special ultimates you probably want to check the data from OrangeSheep's LP of this, he's got the only good data for the drat things that you can find on the internet.

Also go to the place two screens west and one north from File City and get the third member of the Item Shop to get those drat Porta-potties already.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
I'm pretty sure Coelamon is supposed to be pronounced "See-la mon", like the coelacanth. Also, what with the misplaced nostalgia for a bunch of old styles of game, I'm surprised there hasn't been some sort of modern retro version of this. There must be somebody out there deluded enough to think this experience needs to be brought to the next generation.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
The most solemn of afternoons.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I completely agree with Kyle. What a bummer to spend all that time training Frigimon just to have him die once you actually are able to start progressing in the game. I would've broken this game disc by now.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dango Bango posted:

I completely agree with Kyle. What a bummer to spend all that time training Frigimon just to have him die once you actually are able to start progressing in the game. I would've broken this game disc by now.

This is why most playthroughs end, with a close contender being utter confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Koorisch posted:

Also go to the place two screens west and one north from File City and get the third member of the Item Shop to get those drat Porta-potties already.
THANK YOU.

• Locked thread