Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I still don't know exactly what was lost between MST3k and Rifftrax, but it just isn't as funny and that kinda bums me out.

It got snottier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

penismightier posted:

It got snottier.

I dunno about that, altho maybe we have different definitions of snotty. MST3K is downright cruel at times.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I still don't know exactly what was lost between MST3k and Rifftrax, but it just isn't as funny and that kinda bums me out.

The narrative added more than you'd probably think it would. I also feel Rifftrax is oddly meaner and also way more reliant on easy pop culture references. It also annoys me because they tend to have this ADD thing where they'll just start whining and getting impatient the second something isn't happening, even when those scenes are there for really obvious purposes.

In general it just doesn't have the love. While the original seemed to be about picking films that were bad but they enjoyed on some level, Rifftrax is about picking what is popular and, even worse, what is popularly disliked. They don't pick movies because they think they can work with them, or because they appeal to them in some ways, they pick them based on what their fans want and what will sell. They've even said that they prefer picking movies that people can easily get, which is like the opposite of what MST3K is. No one is being introduced to a movie through Rifftrax. They're just mocking something the person feels should be mocked.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

CloseFriend posted:

Slice of Life: I know we have a lot of depression sufferers in this thread (I'm one)… Do any of you have really weird/random triggers? I ask because one of mine, of all things, is this song. It's this bouncy, happy, major-key song that makes me sad as hell as soon as I hear it. (For some reason, my brain associates it with the boy in the box, which is the saddest thing I've ever seen.) Of course I've had the loving song stuck in my head all day.

Does anybody else have this problem with weird depression triggers, or is it just me?

As a schizotypical depressive, I can't think of any definite triggers for depression. However, when the sky is overcast and white in color, I still have the inkling feeling that all of my actions and interactions with strangers are a clandestine form of communication with a paranoid, amoral god-computer!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

As a schizotypical depressive, I can't think of any definite triggers for depression. However, when the sky is overcast and white in color, I still have the inkling feeling that all of my actions and interactions with strangers are a clandestine form of communication with a paranoid, amoral god-computer!

Duh.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

axleblaze posted:

They've even said that they prefer picking movies that people can easily get, which is like the opposite of what MST3K is. No one is being introduced to a movie through Rifftrax. They're just mocking something the person feels should be mocked.

NAILED IT.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

axleblaze posted:

The narrative added more than you'd probably think it would. I also feel Rifftrax is oddly meaner and also way more reliant on easy pop culture references. It also annoys me because they tend to have this ADD thing where they'll just start whining and getting impatient the second something isn't happening, even when those scenes are there for really obvious purposes.

In general it just doesn't have the love. While the original seemed to be about picking films that were bad but they enjoyed on some level, Rifftrax is about picking what is popular and, even worse, what is popularly disliked. They don't pick movies because they think they can work with them, or because they appeal to them in some ways, they pick them based on what their fans want and what will sell. They've even said that they prefer picking movies that people can easily get, which is like the opposite of what MST3K is. No one is being introduced to a movie through Rifftrax. They're just mocking something the person feels should be mocked.

I feel like Rifftrax is also less scrappy - wasn't MST3k always on the verge of collapse? Even during the relatively big-budget Comedy Central years it had that sort of garage-built "put on a show" feel. With Rifftrax it's just some fat old guys sitting in chairs making a lot of money, which takes away some of the charm.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The inherently funny premise of dudes trying to take over the world with the worst movie imaginable torturing a man and robots with bad films, a love for what they were doing more than cash, etc

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
The Rifftrax live events are usually pretty fun, because they do things like Manos and Plan 9. Sitting and listening to Rifftrax for a recent movie though is godawful, because it's basically the same as CinemaSins.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

A writer's room, enough time to do a dozen rewatches to fine tune the best jokes, and actual enjoyment of the dumb bad movies they watched. Also, a lack of bumpers, which helped break up the monotony of the truly bad ones.

Beyond that the novelty of some little-seen racist Fu Manchu movie starring Christopher Lee is much higher than "hey guys it's that mediocre blockbuster from six to nine months ago". Also the " public access" feeling they had as they bumped around nascent cable channels like Comedy Central and Sci-Fi is gone, too.

There's like a dozen reasons why Rifftrax and Cinematic Titanic lack the magic of MST3K.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Plus like who wants to watch a rifftrax of Iron Man or some poo poo? Who does that appeal to? It's just not as funny or cool when it's not some dingy, awful-looking TV print of a forgotten mad scientist movie with crappy sync sound.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
These are all extremely good answers.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Plus like who wants to watch a rifftrax of Iron Man or some poo poo? Who does that appeal to? It's just not as funny or cool when it's not some dingy, awful-looking TV print of a forgotten mad scientist movie with crappy sync sound.

Or this:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I feel like Rifftrax is also less scrappy - wasn't MST3k always on the verge of collapse? Even during the relatively big-budget Comedy Central years it had that sort of garage-built "put on a show" feel. With Rifftrax it's just some fat old guys sitting in chairs making a lot of money, which takes away some of the charm.

MST3K was doing pretty well while it was on Comedy Central. CC loved it because critics loved it and it was cheap. It was eventually cancelled mainly because CC couldn't justify it's 2-hour running time while it was expanding and getting new programing. Scifi was a different beast in that they had shitloads of awful notes (the plotlines were Scif'is fault) and also just sort of struggled to find a place for them.

You can read a pretty good summary of it all in this Oral History that I can't remember if I posted or not.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

axleblaze posted:

This is why I have never listened to a single Rifftrax. The magic of MST3K was NOT going after well-known films, but enjoying the terribleness of obscure low budget films. And not cynical, calculated ones like Sharknado either. Sincere ones made with a love of film and marginal understanding of the craft of cinema, like The Final Sacrifice and Laserblast.
Buzzfeed: the movie is an accurate description of Sharknado, because both are the peak of corporate cynicism, of utter nihilism masked beneath gee whiz coolness.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

An incredible dearth of charm.

edit: poo poo, I didn't realize we were on a new page, but uh, yeah basically what everybody else has said.

Uatu The Lurker fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 9, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I should also reiterate that I feel Cinematic Titanic is worth checking out. It's still not as good but it's alot closer. They only do movies they want, the have a narrative (though it's very slight) and they even have breaks and shadows people in the ones that aren't recordings of live events. Plus it has the best MST3K people anyways.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

axleblaze posted:

I should also reiterate that I feel Cinematic Titanic is worth checking out. It's still not as good but it's alot closer. They only do movies they want, the have a narrative (though it's very slight) and they even have breaks and shadows people in the ones that aren't recordings of live events. Plus it has the best MST3K people anyways.

I've always been more of a Joel guy, so I kind of want to check that one out.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

LOL at the movie snobs getting the vapors because someone dared have some fun at Casablanca's expense.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

They put out a VOD of a "forgotten mad scientist movie with crappy sync sound" like every two weeks. Writers for RiffTrax have even stated they stopped doing the mp3s because they were bored by the blockbusters and didn't think they could write material for the same formulaic stuff over and over again.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

LOL at the movie snobs getting the vapors because someone dared have some fun at Casablanca's expense.

Nobody's "getting the vapors" because someone dared to make fun of Casablanca, we're all just shuddering in horror at how incredibly unfunny an experience it must be to watch that.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Rifftrax is a lot better now that they're doing more old films. They had a lot of the same problems with doing blockbusters that the people in this thread had watching them, the jokes are bad and you're just talking over clanging. Sisters of Death is pretty good, in particular: http://www.rifftrax.com/video/sisters-death

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Last night I dreamt that I answered a knock on my door, whereupon I met an old woman who asked my opinion on Michael Bay. I was like, "Y'know, he's a pretty good filmmaker. There are some who'd say he's a genius. I dunno." She proceeded to enter my home uninvited, followed by dozens of other disheveled elderly people, most of them quite freakish and debased in appearance. As she made herself at home, the one who had knocked merely said, "We have nowhere else to go." My house had become a refugee camp for some weird sort of Michael Bay fans. Thankfully I woke up before I could discover why exactly they were cast out of society, but I have a feeling the reason was far more perverse than simply liking Michael Bay's work.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Last night I dreamt that I answered a knock on my door, whereupon I met an old woman who asked my opinion on Michael Bay. I was like, "Y'know, he's a pretty good filmmaker. There are some who'd say he's a genius. I dunno." She proceeded to enter my home uninvited, followed by dozens of other disheveled elderly people, most of them quite freakish and debased in appearance. As she made herself at home, the one who had knocked merely said, "We have nowhere else to go." My house had become a refugee camp for some weird sort of Michael Bay fans. Thankfully I woke up before I could discover why exactly they were cast out of society, but I have a feeling the reason was far more perverse than simply liking Michael Bay's work.

This'll learn you a valuable lesson: don't like Michael Bay.

The elderly woman was almost certainly SMG.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Maybe they were also fans of Damon Lindelof.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Friedpundit posted:

Hey, what kinds of video editing software do y'all use? I've been messing around with the freeware version of Lightworks, which seems like a really nice setup, but getting one video to import properly much less several is proving impossible.

I trained on Final Cut Pro, but found Sony Vegas Pro to be an excellent alternative for Windows systems. I've edited all of my work except for four of my college films in various editions of Vegas (the other four were in FCP, of course).

Sony is great about the software. Older versions are usually kept in print and given price reductions. If you buy the newest iteration of Vegas for academic use, it's only $190. Even the fully loaded version is under $500 depending on whether it's download-only or on DVD. You can work in up to 4K resolution with 5.1 sound.

Here's the fully functional demo:
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/trials/vegaspro

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman: Yaphet Kotto is a good band! A bitch to find here though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vincent posted:

Uncle Boogeyman: Yaphet Kotto is a good band! A bitch to find here though.

I've managed to score 2 of their 3 LPs pretty cheap although my copy of Syncopated Synthetic Laments for Love is slightly warped.

Almost certainly the best punk band of the last 15-20 years.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Ugh. Pass.

I'll just watch the Overdrawn at the Memory Bank episode of MST3K

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Let's just all ruminate on the painfully unfunny jokes that idiots made about Casablanca. Now let's all swear a blood pact to kill them and feast on their entrails.

Blood pact, y'all.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Has anyone here seen a tv show called El Mundo Del Lundo? It aired in the 90s , and had a similar premise to MST3K. Rather than riffing though, they'd overdub old movies completely and do new plots. They'd take a movie like Night of the Living Dead for example, and overdub it so that the zombies are hippies who just want to crash at the house.

One of my friends saw a few episodes and he said it's hilarious but I've never seen it. I tried to find it online in the past but I haven't been successful.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

We really need a Uncharted game where Elena Fisher is the protagonist.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I've managed to score 2 of their 3 LPs pretty cheap although my copy of Syncopated Synthetic Laments for Love is slightly warped.
I have this problem called living in the third world that makes it a bit hard to find albums of certain bands :(

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Alhazred posted:

First level teaches the player stealth mechanics as they avoid interacting with anyone at Jeff's funeral.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Yes. Yes we do. In general she's one of the better female characters I've seen in a video game, especially a AAA one.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Alhazred posted:

100% accurate. And it would give TwistedLadder another game for her project.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

While there will probably never be another Joe Dante handed the ball (Edgar Wright's Ant Man is something I wanted to see along these lines), it's the cook and not the ingredients. You can say the characters and environments are overdesigned, which I'm not convinced by since they're trash mutants that live in the sewer, but that's just the nature of the blockbuster.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying - it's just another way in which blockbusters form lockstep and try to bludgeon us into submission.

Hat Thoughts posted:

If you aren't friends with Yaphet on Facebook you're missing out

Yeah, Yaphet brings it. He's an opinionated guy.

The Cameo posted:

A writer's room, enough time to do a dozen rewatches to fine tune the best jokes, and actual enjoyment of the dumb bad movies they watched. Also, a lack of bumpers, which helped break up the monotony of the truly bad ones.

Beyond that the novelty of some little-seen racist Fu Manchu movie starring Christopher Lee is much higher than "hey guys it's that mediocre blockbuster from six to nine months ago". Also the " public access" feeling they had as they bumped around nascent cable channels like Comedy Central and Sci-Fi is gone, too.

There's like a dozen reasons why Rifftrax and Cinematic Titanic lack the magic of MST3K.

Nailed it.

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

The only Disney Princess with a body count... in the thousands.

Vargo posted:

100% accurate. And it would give TwistedLadder another game for her project.
I'll bet you a lot of dollars that an Uncharted game starring a lady would be the game that the new Tomb Raider wanted to be. Also I would probably enjoy it more.

Re: Rifftrax, they put out of a lot of VOD shorts and riffs on old PSAs and whatnot. They're much more MST3k-ish and probably worth your time if that's something you enjoy.

TwistedLadder fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This dream is awesome. It would make a great Michael Bay film.

Also, every time I talk to people about Bay, they seem to have a relevation.

"I loving hate Michael Bay, all his movies are just explosions."

"Some of them, but I like The Rock. It's a pretty good movie."

"He did The Rock!?"

"Yeah. And Bad Boys 1 and 2."

"Wait, he did the Bad Boys movies!?"

"And Pain and Gain."

"No way!"

He's like Wes Anderson in that regard. People know of him, they know his style, but they have little idea of what films he's done outside of whatever is just coming out.

• Locked thread