Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

meristem posted:

Also, even if it's not lethal, some of the stuff in that laboratory is already toxic, right? So, even if they can't/can't be bother to set up a lab, IS could just leave some of that waste around some people they don't like, and get at least some sublethal nerve damage out of that?

Sarin evaporates quickly and wouldn't be useful for that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warderenator
Nov 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Holy poo poo these guys are nuts.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Adenoid Dan posted:

Sarin evaporates quickly and wouldn't be useful for that sort of thing.

VX on the other hand

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Volkerball posted:

VX on the other hand

I didn't see anything about VX in that facility, but yes if they were to make it in large enough quantities they could use it like that, but if they did they'd probably want to use it more directly anyway.

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

Yeah, probably shouldn't have watched that just before bed...

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Why are they executing civilians in the documentary they themselves made to convince people that they only go after soldiers? :shepicide:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Xoidanor posted:

Why are they executing civilians in the documentary they themselves made to convince people that they only go after soldiers? :shepicide:

I'm starting to get the feeling that these ISIS guys may not be calm, rational people. Just a hunch though.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Goddammit, I hate how the media can never focus on a story for more than a day or two at a time. There must be all sorts of poo poo going down in Iraq right now but all we're seeing on the tv is Hamas fireworks and Israeli bombing raids. Yeah, great, Mr reporter, so you can hear air raid sirens going off in Tel Aviv but what's going on with ISIS being less than an hour's drive from Baghdad??

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Man, ISIS is actually pretty good at the video making business, the US could learn from them on the propaganda front.

Edit: I mean the video making itself, not necessarily the content.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 9, 2014

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Torpor posted:

Man, ISIS is actually pretty good at the video making business, the US could learn from them on the propaganda front.

It's for recruitment purposes so it has to be. Their not painstakingly subbing every video they release with english for no reason.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
They are doing drive by shootings literally knowing nothing about the people they are shooting at. I honestly don't understand these people. Some of the dead are literal teenagers.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Xoidanor posted:

It's for recruitment purposes so it has to be. Their not painstakingly subbing every video they release with english for no reason.

They could learn quite a bit from the US in terms of leveraging bald-faced racism towards policy goals. They could sub it in English and explain how you - yes, you, upstanding Anglo-American Purity Warrior - could gun down as many Arab üntermenschen as pleases you or whatever.

I'm not sure what'd happen to TFR after that though.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Interesting that the passport the guy tore up was from Kosovo. I had heard that Jihadists were using it ad an R&R center. Wouldn't be surprised id they were recruiting from there as well.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

They are doing drive by shootings literally knowing nothing about the people they are shooting at. I honestly don't understand these people. Some of the dead are literal teenagers.

I don't think it is explained well but the road shootings were the result of a fake road checkpoint where they checked peoples' identifications.
So they did know who was who.

The problem with video making is that you can probably easily make disinformation.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Armyman25 posted:

Interesting that the passport the guy tore up was from Kosovo. I had heard that Jihadists were using it ad an R&R center. Wouldn't be surprised id they were recruiting from there as well.

For R&R? That'd be crazy. They've definitely used Turkish border towns for convalescence, but that'd be a step up. Baghdadi's Friday sermon was officially translated into Albanian, though, which does suggest they're pushing that angle.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

MothraAttack posted:

For R&R? That'd be crazy. They've definitely used Turkish border towns for convalescence, but that'd be a step up. Baghdadi's Friday sermon was officially translated into Albanian, though, which does suggest they're pushing that angle.

More like a place to lay low. There is a push there to encourage Muslims to love a more "traditional" life. A bunch of middle eastern style mosques were built after the war and so s families were paid to live the fundamentalist lifestyle. I don't know how successful that has bern though.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
Albanian nasheed https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RVSYfDAH2fI

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Umiapik posted:

Goddammit, I hate how the media can never focus on a story for more than a day or two at a time. There must be all sorts of poo poo going down in Iraq right now but all we're seeing on the tv is Hamas fireworks and Israeli bombing raids. Yeah, great, Mr reporter, so you can hear air raid sirens going off in Tel Aviv but what's going on with ISIS being less than an hour's drive from Baghdad??

They aren't doing much Iraq at the moment. They're making gains in Syrian Kurdistan. Search google news for ISIS and Rojava or Kobane, and it should give you a bunch of stories that explain what they've been up to.

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
So Maliki has declared that the Kurdish Erbil province in Iraq is a base for the IS.. Digging that hole even deeper for himself. How large of a support base can this guy possibly have to keep him afloat? It seems like everyone, even most other Shias want to be rid of him.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Miruvor posted:

So Maliki has declared that the Kurdish Erbil province in Iraq is a base for the IS.. Digging that hole even deeper for himself. How large of a support base can this guy possibly have to keep him afloat? It seems like everyone, even most other Shias want to be rid of him.

Maliki is extremely good at triangulation in the context of an Iraq riven by militia lines more than party lines. Sure, Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani is more beloved but the dude's over 80 and never wanted the job (and who can blame him?!). Then there's... who? al-Sadr? Baquir al-Hakim?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Miruvor posted:

What the gently caress? Is he hoping for Turkey to dive in and use that as pretense for the national pastime of oppressing Kurds?

E: Maybe Iran too. Is he also insinuating they want to ride the ISIS wave to an independent Kurdistan? Because that "Independent Kurdistan" is like a loving trigger word for Turkey and Iran (and it looks like Iraq too) and if they can hook Kurdish separatism to the ISIS (you never know, it isn't like the governments need a strong reason or even one based in reality to murder Kurds) that'll just gently caress things up even more, especially for the Kurds.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 9, 2014

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
So judging from the speculation on IS having heavy weapons and possibly able to make chemical weapons, can we now officially declare them a real life GLA?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Democrazy posted:

So judging from the speculation on IS having heavy weapons and possibly able to make chemical weapons, can we now officially declare them a real life GLA?

The C&C group, or Squirrel Girl?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

silvergoose posted:

The C&C group, or Squirrel Girl?

Can't it be both?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

What the gently caress? Is he hoping for Turkey to dive in and use that as pretense for the national pastime of oppressing Kurds?

E: Maybe Iran too. Is he also insinuating they want to ride the ISIS wave to an independent Kurdistan? Because that "Independent Kurdistan" is like a loving trigger word for Turkey and Iran (and it looks like Iraq too) and if they can hook Kurdish separatism to the ISIS (you never know, it isn't like the governments need a strong reason or even one based in reality to murder Kurds) that'll just gently caress things up even more, especially for the Kurds.

I don't think it's anything more than rhetoric aimed at a domestic audience, the stereotype of the treacherous bloodthirsty Kurd has been around for decades and often dominates Arab/Kurd relations in Iraq and elsewhere - accusing the Kurds of collaborating with enemies of the state is almost a tradition at this stage. It doesn't help they actually have in the past. The fact that ISIS has so far not attacked Iraqi Kurdistan is definitely stoking conspiracy theories in the same way the uneasy truce between the YPG and the Assad regime in Qamishli has fuelled allegations of collaboration in Syria, I doubt either Turkey or Iran seriously believes the KRG are in cahoots with ISIS (especially considering the kind of high-level access Tehran and Ankara have with the various Kurdish parties)

edit: There have been skirmishes between ISIS and the peshmerga but as of yet there hasn't been any kind of substantial push into the Kurdish regions in the same way as ISIS have been pushing south, that's enough to get the conspiracy theorists scribbling on their notepads

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 9, 2014

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

kustomkarkommando posted:

I don't think it's anything more than rhetoric aimed at a domestic audience, the stereotype of the treacherous bloodthirsty Kurd has been around for decades and often dominates Arab/Kurd relations in Iraq and elsewhere - accusing the Kurds of collaborating with enemies of the state is almost a tradition at this stage. It doesn't help they actually have in the past. The fact that ISIS has so far not attacked Iraqi Kurdistan is definitely stoking conspiracy theories in the same way the uneasy truce between the YPG and the Assad regime in Qamishli has fuelled allegations of collaboration in Syria, I doubt either Turkey or Iran seriously believes the KRG are in cahoots with ISIS (especially considering the kind of high-level access Tehran and Ankara have with the various Kurdish parties)

edit: There have been skirmishes between ISIS and the peshmerga but as of yet there hasn't been any kind of substantial push into the Kurdish regions in the same way as ISIS have been pushing south, that's enough to get the conspiracy theorists scribbling on their notepads

The stereotype is that they're stubborn and uncompromising. This is the first time I hear of the 'treacherous bloodthirsty Kurd' stereotype.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Muffiner posted:

The stereotype is that they're stubborn and uncompromising. This is the first time I hear of the 'treacherous bloodthirsty Kurd' stereotype.

I've spoken to a couple of Iraqi's over the years who have specifically brought up the Iran-Iraq war as a sign that Kurds should not be trusted, they've usually taken the opportunity to talk at length about the various feuds between different factions and how Kurds are violent "by nature". Granted, these largely were exiles from pretty nationalistic families so that probably plays a part in their prejudices.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Xoidanor posted:

I went to a great presentation at the New America Foundation where one of the speakers explained this: their main recruiting targets aren't necessarily ideologically motivated, they're people who enjoy killing. Not necessarily psychopaths, but certainly nihilists and others who can't get enough death. ISIS are hardened fighters on par with Iraq's special forces and seek to recruit disaffected hardened fighters. I mean, look at Omar al-Shishani, who was a Christian Georgian special forces soldier until he got shuffled out of the army due to TB. He was radicalized and went to go kill more people with ISIS.

Red Crown fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 10, 2014

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

When I think "ISIS Recruiting," the only thing that comes to mind is the gang recruiting scene from Blazing Saddles. Minus the laughs and with thousands more war crimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryvljjccqL8

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
The most chilling thing about that documentary is the casualness of it all. I've followed this thread from the beginning and seen and read a lot of horrible stuff, but this got to me.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Red Crown posted:

I went to a great presentation at the New America Foundation where one of the speakers explained this: their main recruiting targets aren't necessarily ideologically motivated, they're people who enjoy killing. Not necessarily psychopaths, but certainly nihilists and others who can't get enough death. ISIS are hardened fighters on par with Iraq's special forces and seek to recruit disaffected hardened fighters. I mean, look at Omar al-Shishani, who was a Christian Georgian special forces soldier until he got shuffled out of the army due to TB. He was radicalized and went to go kill more people with ISIS.

I'm not so sure that's actually true. When me and my friends were over in Irland last month we talked to a couple of muslims about ISIS. This was shortly after ISIS blitz trough Iraq started so the discussion easily came up. Two of the people we talked too actually voiced their support of ISIS. First was at a muslim information table in the center of Dublin where they were handing out all kinds of pamphlets about the faith and muslim traditions. The first we talked too was secular and highly progressive in his beliefs, "everyone can have their own interpretations of the faith" and the like. The guy standing next to him though thought was a different story. He thought that the actions of ISIS were fully justified and that they were bringing back "the true Islam". The second encounter we had was at a friend of a friends birthday party at a nightclub we had been invited too. One of the others invited was a nuclear physicist. He was a moderate Muslim and yet he said he thought that what ISIS was doing was right. He wasn't quite sure why but he was also drunk. My point is that the only thing both of these two had in common was that they had spent almost all their life sheltered in Irland and yet they had both somehow developed romantic notions for an organization that routinely crucifies people. :psyduck:

It's also easy to forget that a lot of religious youth have gone away to fight in Syria over the last years. In Sweden alone there have been a lot (of both genders) who had simply packed up their things without saying a thing to their parents and flown to neighboring countries to join the fighting. Some just went but most were recruited. In 2013 alone SÄPO (Swedish Secret Police) counted that at least 75 had been radicalized and convinced to fly over and join the fighting.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Just to be clear, this is an older video that was released last month when ISIS first made its lightning strike into Iraq. There is nothing new in it.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Partisan Girl is now suing over an article that reported she was being watched by the Australian police for the last 18 months

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Xoidanor posted:

I'm not so sure that's actually true. When me and my friends were over in Irland last month we talked to a couple of muslims about ISIS. This was shortly after ISIS blitz trough Iraq started so the discussion easily came up. Two of the people we talked too actually voiced their support of ISIS. First was at a muslim information table in the center of Dublin where they were handing out all kinds of pamphlets about the faith and muslim traditions. The first we talked too was secular and highly progressive in his beliefs, "everyone can have their own interpretations of the faith" and the like. The guy standing next to him though thought was a different story. He thought that the actions of ISIS were fully justified and that they were bringing back "the true Islam". The second encounter we had was at a friend of a friends birthday party at a nightclub we had been invited too. One of the others invited was a nuclear physicist. He was a moderate Muslim and yet he said he thought that what ISIS was doing was right. He wasn't quite sure why but he was also drunk. My point is that the only thing both of these two had in common was that they had spent almost all their life sheltered in Irland and yet they had both somehow developed romantic notions for an organization that routinely crucifies people. :psyduck:

It's also easy to forget that a lot of religious youth have gone away to fight in Syria over the last years. In Sweden alone there have been a lot (of both genders) who had simply packed up their things without saying a thing to their parents and flown to neighboring countries to join the fighting. Some just went but most were recruited. In 2013 alone SÄPO (Swedish Secret Police) counted that at least 75 had been radicalized and convinced to fly over and join the fighting.

Ah, a drunk person agreeing with ISIS seems pretty contradictory.
I think some people are seduced by the idea of a strong army taking poo poo from no-one (especially not their Western governments), even though they are bloodthirsty assholes.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jul 10, 2014

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
I think there's at least a germ of the reason why fascism became popular in the 30s. The powers that be then and now have crushed all other forms of opposition, no other way of doing things is realiseable so the very last option to escape Western Neo-Liberal domination becomes attractive by default.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ReV VAdAUL posted:

I think there's at least a germ of the reason why fascism became popular in the 30s. The powers that be then and now have crushed all other forms of opposition, no other way of doing things is realiseable so the very last option to escape Western Neo-Liberal domination becomes attractive by default.

It's an interesting parallel to the current rise of the far-right in Europe.

Caladin
Nov 2, 2013

Torpor posted:

I've read that they're very good at social media as well; better than most Western companies.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

Wow, gently caress these guys forever

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
Gotta admit though, salil as-sawareem is pretty loving good nasheed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

Smashurbanipal posted:

Gotta admit though, salil as-sawareem is pretty loving good nasheed.

I've never been a fan of it. I have always liked the one that starts at 10:45 but don't know the name so I can't look for it.

• Locked thread