Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Who What Now posted:

We're not talking about Sunnis now are we? Even if the church hierarchy wouldn't be in positions by law, they would almost certainly find those positions in a weird coincidence (it wouldn't actually be a coincidence).

I'm sorry that your cartoons of bug-eyes little girls showing their panties is targeted at and consumed by pedophiles. Maybe like something that isn't so awful?

Theocracy only applies to Christians? This is surely not reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Effectronica posted:

Theocracy only applies to Christians? This is surely not reasonable.

In America it does, yes.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Who What Now posted:

In America it does, yes.

This is an asinine position to hold. Definitions should not shift so broadly when we talk about one specific country if we are to have meaningful communication.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Effectronica posted:

This is an asinine position to hold. Definitions should not shift so broadly when we talk about one specific country if we are to have meaningful communication.

I don't know what to tell you then, but that's the way it works. Different cultures that have similar terms can have vastly different meanings.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Who What Now posted:

I don't know what to tell you then, but that's the way it works. Different cultures can mean that similar terms have vastly different meanings.

So what would we call a hypothetical USA that was ruled by Buddhist law? What should we call this proposed society, which separates out religious authority and secular (an example of a word that genuinely shifts meanings in this context) authority but still has the secular authority informed by religious values? Because saying "Theocracy requires popery!" is not convincing as a response to this system without outlining the means by which it is impossible to establish this system outlined in the prior sentence.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Please stop fighting, my D&D friends :(

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Effectronica posted:

The Romans required people to follow the state religion. This is not the same thing at all, and the idea that theocratic rule always ends in the extermination/violent oppression of religious minorities ignores vast parts of Islamic history.

Yes and the state religion was that the emperor was god and also was head of the state. That's a theocracy. Rule by God or human incarnation of God.

And theocracy and theonomy, result in the criminalization of not following religious doctrine. How that gets expressed can vary wildly, but breaking the religious doctrine is always also a crime against the state in a theonomy and that's dangerous. And I do think Islam has ways out of authoritarian theonomy, into a more democratic theonomy (or even towards a version of secularism) that are inclusive and not authoritarian. You don't have to convince me there (someone else already did). But, when there is a theonomy if you break the law of God, you break the law of the state and there isn't any dodging that.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 9, 2014

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
In all seriousness Christianity is best when it serves as a foil for power, be it the State or localized rulers. Theocracy defeats this when combined with Christianity as the Christian (to be Christian) has to reject power-for-power's-sake. Either the power must give way, which defeats itself, or the Christian spirit must be sacrificed on the altar of the State, which is expressly anti-Christian.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

VitalSigns posted:

Nah, it's all good. I tell you what, when I hear "benign theocracy", the first thing that comes to mind is the institution that clung to serfdom and feudalism until a German empress dynasty finally shoved some slivers of change down their throats at gunpoint. Supporting the Tsars as they threw millions of men into the meatgrinder against the Turks, the Japanese, and the Germans in various centuries bodes well for the pacific nature of our proposed Orthodox theocracy as well.

Catherine was as opposed to change as Peter was. She did exile constitutional monarchists to Siberia, after all.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Effectronica posted:

Catholics, and probably Orthodox Christians too, are more likely than average to be pro-gay in the USA.

It's probably silly to try and make a point in a thread like this- but here goes: Catholics frequently are mentioned for being more liberal than most religions, and though while the social doctrine in the church probably contributes a little bit to that phenomena it is mostly the regional politics that determines how conservative/liberal the people are rather than the other way around. I realize this is the opposite of how people often think about it, but it's a much better fit of the evidence- particularly in the case of Catholicism. After all, you'd expect a top-down religion like Catholicism to have the least amount of variance in opinion (at least compared to less centralized religions) but it's not the case at all. So the obvious conclusion is that people are forming their religion and using it as a justification for their already formed beliefs rather than the church driving conservatism.

Long story short Catholics are more likely than average simply because they are concentrated in the NE of the country, where support for gay marriage is extremely high. If you were to just consider Midwestern Catholics though you'd be getting a much higher percentage of polish/Irish Catholics which are much less likely than average to support gay marriage.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Effectronica posted:

So what would we call a hypothetical USA that was ruled by Buddhist law?
An alternate and impossible universe would be a pretty good label I think.

quote:

What should we call this proposed society, which separates out religious authority and secular (an example of a word that genuinely shifts meanings in this context) authority but still has the secular authority informed by religious values?

That's what we have right now. It's just that there isn't a sole religion from which these authorities must be informed by.

quote:

Because saying "Theocracy requires popery!" is not convincing as a response to this system without outlining the means by which it is impossible to establish this system outlined in the prior sentence.

Theocracy does require popery because that's exactly what a theocracy is. Brandor outlined this for you, but your thinking of a theonomy.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Smoking Crow posted:

Please stop fighting, my D&D friends :(

gently caress you, you're not my real dad, you can't tell me what to do!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Effectronica posted:

No, I asked if you were a member of an organized antiSlavic organization given your hatred and contempt for Russians expressed in the idea that a German had to "force change down their throats".

Expressing skepticism about the human rights record of a particular institution is not the same as hatred or contempt of Russians, any more than criticizing the Roman Catholic Church's stances is hatred of Italians.

I was just making a Catherine the Great reference; I don't think Germany should rule Russia, because every time the Germans have tried to do that it was a colossal horrorshow. Conquest is pretty evil.

Effectronica posted:

In addition, abortion would be legal in this same scenario because the majority of Catholics support broadly-available abortion and so do half of Orthodox Christians.

And yet despite this, the Church hierarchy (who would be the ones in charge) are still staunchly opposed to abortion rights and the rights of sexual minorities. Does it matter if the laity is progressive if we're putting a reactionary church hierarchy in charge?

Russians, Italians, and even Americans are pretty cool on an individual level, but that doesn't mean I automatically trust any of their churches with the Supreme Temporal Power.

Edit: But hey, I didn't mean to come off as anti-Russian or anti-Christian, sorry if what I said offended you. I'll confine my jokes to anti-theocracy in general because insulting the religion of average people isn't cool. Friends? :glomp:

Smoking Crow posted:

Catherine was as opposed to change as Peter was. She did exile constitutional monarchists to Siberia, after all.
Well yeah and she also pursued lots of horrible wars of conquest, she was a European absolute monarch after all, but my point was that reforms of serfdom (and its eventual abolishment) were imposed by emperors because that institution generally had the support of the Church. But if I am wrong and the Orthodox Church was actively pushing those reforms it'd be very interesting to read about :)

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 9, 2014

Throwdini
Aug 2, 2006
Yeah it probably wouldn't be so bad.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

VitalSigns posted:

Well yeah and she also pursued lots of horrible wars of conquest, she was a European absolute monarch after all, but my point was that reforms of serfdom (and its eventual abolishment) were imposed by emperors because that institution generally had the support of the Church. But if I am wrong and the Orthodox Church was actively pushing those reforms it'd be very interesting to read about :)

This article (if you have JSTOR), says that while the church didn't pay much attention to it (it was seen as a secular problem and as such, one the church didn't need to stick its nose into), it defended serfs and undermined the system of serfdom through encyclicals and seminary teachings.

Edit: It should also be noted that by the time of Catherine, the ROC was a branch of the government. Peter the Great had abolished the Patriarch and created the Holy Synod under the knowledge that if they preached the wrong thing, the church might not be destroyed, but all the clergy would be purged.

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 9, 2014

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Smoking Crow posted:

No one man is above the council that elects him. Even the Pope may be ousted by the College of Cardinals.

This is not actually true, once appointed the Pope is the boss and you'd better like it. However back in the old days popes were sometimes deposed through means such as murder.

As for the topic at hand I do think the country/world would be best if run by the Vatican, but I also am a strong believer in individual liberty and personal choice to an extent that deviates from historical theocratic practices, in part because I love sinning and in part because I think Christ was minimally coercive.

So yes I like modernism and traditionalism together, both in fullness, neither in half-measure, let's embrace a law built on the delightful ambiguity of paradox. As a Catholic I already recognize the Pope as the supreme earthly authority so I essentially belong to a theocracy already, it is just presently in political competition with various illegitimate gang-states with substantial armies. But the good news is that when everyone does finally become a Catholic the world will be a better place.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Kyrie eleison posted:

This is not actually true, once appointed the Pope is the boss and you'd better like it. However back in the old days popes were sometimes deposed through means such as murder.

As for the topic at hand I do think the country/world would be best if run by the Vatican, but I also am a strong believer in individual liberty and personal choice to an extent that deviates from historical theocratic practices, in part because I love sinning and in part because I think Christ was minimally coercive.

So yes I like modernism and traditionalism together, both in fullness, neither in half-measure, let's embrace a law built on the delightful ambiguity of paradox. As a Catholic I already recognize the Pope as the supreme earthly authority so I essentially belong to a theocracy already, it is just presently in political competition with various illegitimate gang-states with substantial armies. But the good news is that when everyone does finally become a Catholic the world will be a better place.

I'm sorry for not knowing about Catholicism, recently the Patriarch of Jerusalem was deposed for illegally selling lands to the Israeli government. He was deposed by the council that elected him, the Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulcher. I thought it worked similarly.

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 10, 2014

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Thankfully there are much better odds that the world will become fully Muslim than fully Catholic.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Who What Now posted:

Thankfully there are much better odds that the world will become fully Muslim than fully Catholic.

Well, Islam is the second largest religion in the world and it has 1.59 billion adherents while Catholicism has 1.1 billion. Remember that Catholicism is a denomination. It would be like if there were over a billion Shia Muslims.

Edit: And Catholicism is actually growing in Asia and Africa.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Little Blackfly posted:

I know I'm thinking of joining an organized antiSlavic organization now. Except for the Czechs, they're cool.

E: could it be a Hussite theocracy. Jan Hus was rad.
Anabaptists or get out.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Smoking Crow posted:

Edit: And Catholicism is actually growing in Asia and Africa.

Major religion preys upon and exploits the poor in third world countries, news at 11.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The Pope is actually a pretty cool guy, I wouldn't mind him as a ruler. Jesuits are pretty rational thinkers.

Now, the other assholes preventing him from being a decent enough humanist, those guys I could do without.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Who What Now posted:

Major religion preys upon and exploits the poor in third world countries, news at 11.

Exploitation such as providing food, water, medicine, education, and protection from murderous Muslim hordes.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Kyrie eleison posted:

Exploitation such as providing food, water, medicine, education, and protection from murderous Muslim hordes.

Or in the case of that one priest in the CAR, protection for Muslims against anti-Islamic violence.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Kyrie eleison posted:

I bet that's exactly what southern slave owners told themselves to make them feel better about owning blacks, too.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Who What Now posted:

I bet that's exactly what southern slave owners told themselves to make them feel better about owning blacks, too.

Probably not the islamophobic part, though.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I can't help but feel that some unironic supporters of theocracy are mixed in with the ironic.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Kyrie eleison posted:

Kyrie Eleison has risen, to advocate for faux-Medieval Catholic theocracy-libertarianism once again. Can Victor be far behind? We can only hope.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Who What Now posted:

You seem to have confused the Catholic Church in California circa 1500 with the Catholic Church in Africa circa 2014. I'm not sure how this sort of mix-up happens.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Who What Now posted:

We're not talking about Sunnis now are we? Even if the church hierarchy wouldn't be in positions by law, they would almost certainly find those positions in a weird coincidence (it wouldn't actually be a coincidence).

I'm sorry that your cartoons of bug-eyes little girls showing their panties is targeted at and consumed by pedophiles. Maybe like something that isn't so awful?

stop makin me root for the theocrats, dumbass

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Democracy will never die, religious law is never coming back, nuke the vatican and hail satan.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

The Catholic church is doomed. Ironically it's because sainted JPII and his buddy Ratzinger went out of their way to suppress various South American theological movements.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Ogmius815 posted:

The Catholic church is doomed. Ironically it's because sainted JPII and his buddy Ratzinger went out of their way to suppress various South American theological movements.

You think the church is in trouble because it refused to accept a bunch of Marxist babble? I don't know if you've been paying attention but outside internet forums Marxism has been dead a long time now.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Kyrie eleison posted:

You think the church is in trouble because it refused to accept a bunch of Marxist babble? I don't know if you've been paying attention but outside internet forums Marxism has been dead a long time now.

I don't know if you've been paying attention but the less dogmatic churches willing to consider people's actual needs are stealing catholic parishioners left and right in Latin America.

EDIT: Oh it's gimmick poster Kyrie Eleison. Never mind.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Ogmius815 posted:

I don't know if you've been paying attention but the less dogmatic churches willing to consider people's actual needs are stealing catholic parishioners left and right in Latin America.

Kyrie is my friend and I'm telling you, it's not a gimmick what he's posting

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Yeah we wouldn't want a gimmick poster making GBS threads up this perfectly good thread.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Kyrie eleison posted:

Your god has been dead far longer and that hasn't shut you up now has it?

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Ogmius815 posted:

A bunch of Latin Americans becoming evangelical and Pentecostal Protestants with mega-churches, massive televized events, faith healing, poppy worship songs, etc. is somehow because of a refusal by the church to adopt liberation theology?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
talk poo poo get hit when it comes to liberation theology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Kyrie eleison posted:

A bunch of Latin Americans becoming evangelical and Pentecostal Protestants with mega-churches, massive televized events, faith healing, poppy worship songs, etc. is somehow because of a refusal by the church to adopt liberation theology?

Right because those people pretend to care about them while the Catholic church is the tough discipline daddy that refuses to consider the thoughts of people who aren't sexagenarian Italian dudes.

• Locked thread