Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I was planning on doing an all-battlesuit/armor force, because I like those models more and because I like giant robots, but... Scoring is definitely something to consider, isn't it? My Crisis suits count as troops, but they can't be everywhere!

I'd prefer not to use kroot for aesthetic reasons, but I will have a couple Devilfish and warriors to put in them. Hmm.

I could easily drop the second Earth Caste array; it was just to make the Nova Reactor more reliable, really, and was legal based on the Farsight codex, which explicitly states The Eight's gear doesn't count towards Signature Systems choices. But it would leave both of them quite vulnerable if something got close...

Not sure what I'd drop to add troops. One of the Riptides? A Hammerhead? Broadsides? Maybe some of the drones, or not take a stimulant injector on every single battlesuit. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Esser-Z posted:

I was planning on doing an all-battlesuit/armor force, because I like those models more and because I like giant robots, but... Scoring is definitely something to consider, isn't it? My Crisis suits count as troops, but they can't be everywhere!

I'd prefer not to use kroot for aesthetic reasons, but I will have a couple Devilfish and warriors to put in them. Hmm.

I could easily drop the second Earth Caste array; it was just to make the Nova Reactor more reliable, really, and was legal based on the Farsight codex, which explicitly states The Eight's gear doesn't count towards Signature Systems choices. But it would leave both of them quite vulnerable if something got close...

Not sure what I'd drop to add troops. One of the Riptides? A Hammerhead? Broadsides? Maybe some of the drones, or not take a stimulant injector on every single battlesuit. :v:

All suits is totally doable, singleton Crisis suits deep striking are pretty decent.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Singletons make sense! I could split up my Crisis teams pretty easily! What about the Broadsides? Keep them together or split 'em?

I think I might drop the tanks to take EVEN MORE SUITS. :3

Ratflinger
Jul 1, 2010
What are you using on your crisis suits? If they have anti-vehicle capacity, then I would drop the Hammerheads. Dropping stimulant injectors on most things seems like a good idea too. I kind of like the idea of an all mech list, because it would look awesome.

I would run one of the riptides with skyfire and interceptor at the least.

Myself I started building for 1500, and run three full squads of fire warriors (or possibly 6 half-sized), 2 riptides, 3 broadsides (kitted for firing at different targets) and deep striking crisis suits with melta, and I comtemplate whether I should round it up kroots or hammerheads. It is not a Farsight list, though.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

At least some would be plasma/missiles, but I hadn't decided on all of them yet. Could definitely kit some out with fusion; seems like a good idea. Maybe grab a couple more Crisis with the points from dropping the tanks.

Yeah, I think I'll drop the tanks and go all suits, for that awesome look.

I just realized I had no anti-air, heh. I'll do that on a Riptide for sure. Maybe split up the Broadsides for more versatility, too, since dropping the tanks frees up Heavy Support slots!

Hm. Heavy Burst Cannon on the skyfire Riptide, for more attacks when intercepting?

Ratflinger
Jul 1, 2010

Esser-Z posted:

Hm. Heavy Burst Cannon on the skyfire Riptide, for more attacks when intercepting?

Possibly. The thing is, the HBC is not that good for AA if you are not nova charging, and I do not think you can nova charge it when you are intercepting. Also the HBC is risky business without the earth caste piloting system. I am running both my riptides with interceptor/skyfire, ionic accelerators and twin linked fusion.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I am no Tau expert, just starting this out, so take my words with a grain of salt. I am still just putting my things together.

Ratflinger fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 9, 2014

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Irate Tree posted:

I was looking at turning those into Khymerae but they didn't feel 'doggy' enough =S

Really? They look super doggy. We call them "doom dogs" in our group.

VVVV Is that 500 or 599? VVVV

Karandras fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 9, 2014

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
There is a new special character Imperial Knight in the next WD. Can run and shoot and gets a 3++ Shield for 500pts...

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Ratflinger posted:

Possibly. The thing is, the HBC is not that good for AA if you are not nova charging, and I do not think you can nova charge it when you are intercepting. Also the HBC is risky business without the earth caste piloting system. I am running both my riptides with interceptor/skyfire, ionic accelerators and twin linked fusion.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I am no Tau expert, just starting this out, so take my words with a grain of salt. I am still just putting my things together.

Twin-linked fusion and ion accelerators were what I had planned. The HBC didn't look that great to me, overall.

Hmm. I could drop the special Riptide for a normal one; will take a look at the loadout again and see if it's worth it. I don't think it gets both Interceptor and Skyfire, but I might be wrong. It does make sense to have SOMETHING ready to shoot when flies or drop pods or outflankers show up!

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

TKIY posted:

There is a new special character Imperial Knight in the next WD. Can run and shoot and gets a 3++ Shield for 500pts...

He also rerolls 1s on the Stomp table.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

TKIY posted:

Woah that's like crazy powerful, 3++ and It will not die. Do not want to play against.

Now if they'd just release the stupid "additional" kit for Knights that turn them to Chaos I would be happy.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Welp finally time to get a Knight. Well done, GW, you've broken my will once again!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Same, heavily considering paying the extra $20 to get a knight kit and just nodding it into a looted stompa now.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
It's really weird how Chaos went from being the beardy cheese army that got the lion's share of attention, new kits, new wargear, and generally being able to curb stop others in 3rd / 3.5 edition, yet are now closer to Sisters Of Battle in that regard (though they did get some kickin' rad kits last release and now a Helbrute).

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Hm. With heavy support slots open, since I'm going all-battlesuit, is there any reason not to split my Broadsides up into multiple teams? It makes them less focus-fireable, immune to morale issues (since if one dies the unit is done :V), more flexible in what they can attack...

I would lose a bit of durability from not having redundant drones, but that wouldn't be a huge deal. I guess they also couldn't take as much advantage of markerlights, but...

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

TKIY posted:

Ugh. gently caress Knights.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

3++ and Feel No Pain sounds incredibly annoying to fight against, unless you have a huge amount of anti-vehicle fire available. At least you can only have one of the basta--

Fuckin' Unbound.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Esser-Z posted:

3++ and Feel No Pain sounds incredibly annoying to fight against, unless you have a huge amount of anti-vehicle fire available. At least you can only have one of the basta--

Fuckin' Unbound.

Unbound doesn't change unique restrictions.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
IWND is far from FNP, and he's Unique regardless.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Whoops, mistyped. And okay, wasn't sure what all Unbound ignored. My bad!

There goes UNLIMITED CRISIS ASSAULT, a Tau list entirely consisting of however many Farsights could fit in the point limit.

Speaking of, not sure if I'm taking Farsight or a regular commander to represent Shah'o'Kaila* in my Battlesuits Galore list. Will need to look at the stats again when I work on it tonight.

*I like naming my character models!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Why the gently caress is that not in the codex? What the loving hell? New fluff aside, that codex is an outrageous gently caress you to the customers who bought it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I just realized my Big Mek is no longer playable... :orks101:

RIP Big Mek Gitburna.

Incidentally the new codex (I was out last week on vacation) really fucks over my list, given that it's pretty much a KFF Big Mek leading a horde of slugga boyz in deffrolla battlewagons followed up by footsloggers with killa kanz. Oh well.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 9, 2014

Sneaky Homunculus
May 19, 2008

Chop off the flame spigot at the very end, and it could easily be a Kustom weapon. It is still annoying though.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I just realized my Big Mek is no longer playable... :orks101:

RIP Big Mek Gitburna.

Incidentally the new codex (I was out last week on vacation) really fucks over my list, given that it's pretty much a KFF Big Mek leading a horde of slugga boyz in deffrolla battlewagons followed up by footsloggers with killa kanz. Oh well.

Two things. One, that Mek is aces. Two, I'm right with you on lists getting screwed over. I'm keeping my Wagons and Kans for a rainy day and making the switch to Arty and Buggies.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

TKIY posted:

I think the lancer is still better, but 3++ on a walker? Even titans don't get that.

Post 9-11 User posted:

It's really weird how Chaos went from being the beardy cheese army that got the lion's share of attention, new kits, new wargear, and generally being able to curb stop others in 3rd / 3.5 edition, yet are now closer to Sisters Of Battle in that regard (though they did get some kickin' rad kits last release and now a Helbrute).

Thanks to chaos daemons and crimson slaughter they are coming around, but the years between the helldrake and chaos 3.5 have been a drought.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

BULBASAUR posted:

I think the lancer is still better, but 3++ on a walker? Even titans don't get that.

It's only against attacks from one side, so shouldn't be too hard to bypass.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CyberLord XP posted:

Two things. One, that Mek is aces. Two, I'm right with you on lists getting screwed over. I'm keeping my Wagons and Kans for a rainy day and making the switch to Arty and Buggies.

Thanks. If I can be arsed to put the effort forward I'm still thinking battlewagons might be fun, but I'm so out of touch with the meta that I'm sure it'll get raped by whatever else is out there. Also because I'm so loving slow at painting I can't imagine starting over.

RIP Deffrollas...

BULBASAUR posted:

Thanks to chaos daemons and crimson slaughter they are coming around, but the years between the helldrake and chaos 3.5 have been a drought.

Flaming Dragon Anus was the last straw for me as far as Chaos was concerned. I'm still hoping for an Iron Warriors supplement that doesn't suck, but otherwise those guys are staying on my shelf.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
6th edition chaos switched me over to 30k full time. There you can have decent IW rules and about any list you can cook up in your head, with semi competitive rules. Doesn't play like marines either, which is a big plus.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Hollismason posted:

Woah that's like crazy powerful, 3++ and It will not die. Do not want to play against.

Now if they'd just release the stupid "additional" kit for Knights that turn them to Chaos I would be happy.

It's only improving his save by one, and IWND is a really unreliable ability. For 130pts extra? Not all that impressed. He's cool, and I'm glad to see Knights getting some options beyond "buy more Knights," but he's certainly not a game-breaker in any way.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Thanks. If I can be arsed to put the effort forward I'm still thinking battlewagons might be fun, but I'm so out of touch with the meta that I'm sure it'll get raped by whatever else is out there. Also because I'm so loving slow at painting I can't imagine starting over.

Don't throw those Battlewagons out the window quite yet- with the formation from the Ghazzy supplement, they are actually incredibly good. Buy five 'Wagons, get Scout for free.

quote:

Flaming Dragon Anus was the last straw for me as far as Chaos was concerned. I'm still hoping for an Iron Warriors supplement that doesn't suck, but otherwise those guys are staying on my shelf.

Ha ha, produce a supplement for one of the fallen Legions, which are extremely popular and interesting and have unique styles of organization and combat that would provide an easy justification for alternate rules? What are you, crazy? No one would want that. GW is much too busy inventing sub-factions of the Imperium to have any time for that sort of thing. Now get ready for Codex: Left-Handed Imperial Fists Who Don't Like Cheese But Do Open Presents On Christmas Eve, coming next month for $39.95!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
GW really hasn't a clue when it comes to their own customer base

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Ugh I kinda of want to see the Ghaz supplement but gently caress paying another $50 after I just bought a codex.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Anyone who was looking to get the Ork trikes or counts-as Thunderfire cannons from Mantic, they're having a 30% off sale on the webstore for the next hour with the code SHOCK30. Three thunderfire cannons or bikes for £14 is some deal.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

WS & BS 5, IWND, 3++ and is a character. The ability to challenge is pretty drat huge, I think its worth the points.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

raverrn posted:

WS & BS 5, IWND, 3++ and is a character. The ability to challenge is pretty drat huge, I think its worth the points.

Wait can it still AOE stomp if it's challenged? I don't know how knights work.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
So... am I missing something, or is the Ork Horde formation technically pointless?

You get a new FOC, but you lose Objective Secured.

You lose Objective Secured if you go Unbound anyway, so what's the point?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

NTRabbit posted:

Anyone who was looking to get the Ork trikes or counts-as Thunderfire cannons from Mantic, they're having a 30% off sale on the webstore for the next hour with the code SHOCK30. Three thunderfire cannons or bikes for £14 is some deal.

Aaand there's the boot in the rear end I needed to order one of the cannons. Now to get a Techmarine. Thanks!

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

ineptmule posted:

So... am I missing something, or is the Ork Horde formation technically pointless?

GW does something that doesn't make sense?

I don't know how to make this codex work. Trukks are still poo poo. BW are expensive and are now in a more competitive slot. Meching up seems like a point sink and footslogging has been dire every time I have tried. I don't want to play hammer and anvil with footslogging mobs of boys again.

How do mixed lists work with mobs of boyz chasing in wagons of elites?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

CyberLord XP posted:

Wait can it still AOE stomp if it's challenged? I don't know how knights work.

It can, but hilariously on anything but the "remove all models under the marker" result the wounds will "funnel" into the character in the challenge first.

ineptmule posted:

The Ork FoC has two other Command Benefits- like a normal CAD it can reroll its Warlord trait and squads that get a 10 or more on their charge roll gain Hammer of Wrath for that turn.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

AbusePuppy posted:

It's only improving his save by one, and IWND is a really unreliable ability. For 130pts extra?

Don't forget the Stomp reroll of 1s. That's makes them more reliably brutal in cc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

CyberLord XP posted:

Ugh I kinda of want to see the Ghaz supplement but gently caress paying another $50 after I just bought a codex.
Pretty much every summary of it's rules is less a summary and more a totality.

You only get the special rules/warlord traits/relics if you take one of these Formations or the Great Waaagh Detachment.

Special Rules:
+2 to Mob Rule rolls, wounds inflicted are 3+D3 instead of D6

Warlords from this detachment must issue/accept Challenges, if he wins he gets Shred for the rest of the battle.

Warlord Traits:
1 - Warlord has +1 BS
2 - Warlord has Crusader
3 - Warlord has Rage
4 - Warlord has Outflank
5 - One of the Warlord's weapons has Master Crafted, can't be a relic
6 - Warlord has FNP

There are 7 formations in the book:

Council of Waaagh - Ghaz, 2 Warbosses with +1 WS, Big Mek, Mad Doc, and a unit of Nobs with a Waaagh Banner. The Banner gets Fearless for the squad and units within 12" reroll leadership. Ghaz gets two extra Warlord Traits if he's Warlord.

Bully Boyz - 3 units of at least 5 Meganobs, get Fear, Fearless, and +1 WS

Blitz Brigade - 5 Battlewagons, gain Scout, guys inside can't charge turn one still

Vulcha Squad - Zagstruk and 3 units of Stormboyz, must Deep Strike, scatters only D6", Hammer of Wrath gains Shred, can all be one mega unit if you want to deepstrike 90 Stormboyz

Dread Mob - 2 Mork/Gorkanaughts, 2 Deff Dreads, 3 units of at least 3 Kans, Big Mek, Painboy, everything gains 'Ere We Go and Hammer of Wrath inflicts D3 hits

Red Skull Kommandos - Snikrot and 4 units of Kommandos, Snikrot must join one unit, all are in Reserves and come in together on the same table edge of your choosing, reroll cover saves on the turn they arrive if they don't shoot, Stealth upgraded to Shrouding on the turn they arrive

Green Tide - Warboss and 10 Boyz squads in a single unit worth 11 Kill Points and no Bikes or Trukks, Mob Rule wounds are allocated by the player instead of randomly (thank god, but you're going to give the Warboss the Fearless bosspole anyway), Hammer of Wrath on a 10" charge, gets to call a Waaagh every turn if the Warboss is your Warlord

Relics (only the 2 good ones)

Big Pole - Fearless, 20 points
Mega Force Field - 4++ KFF, 75 points

Great Waaagh Detachment:
1-2 HQ
2-8 Troops
1-5 Elites
0-3 Fast Attack
0-3 Heavy Support
0-1 Fortification
0-1 Lord of War

Command Benefits, Reroll Warlord trait from this book, Before deployment roll a D6 for every unit, on a 6+ they have Deep Strike, Troops have it on a 5+.

• Locked thread