Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
God...I'm really trying to rein in my hype and expectations for Episode VII but I get super fanboy chills every time I see a photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

jivjov posted:

God...I'm really trying to rein in my hype and expectations for Episode VII but I get super fanboy chills every time I see a photo.

Here, let me help: the movie was rushed into production with a first draft of a script, is barreling toward a release date despite its sleepy-acting septuagenarian star having broken his leg on set and having to be out for possibly months, was penned by a man who hasn't written a good script since the 80s, it stars 3 actors in their 60s and 70s whose character arcs were brought to a conclusion decades ago, it will yet again feature overpowered superheroes dancing around with laser swords, is being directed by a man who has put out approximately one film that has critical acclaim, and is coming on the heels of over a decade of false-promises, overblown expectations, and terrible franchise entries.

Expectations reined?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

feedmyleg posted:

Here, let me help: the movie was rushed into production with a first draft of a script, is barreling toward a release date despite its sleepy-acting septuagenarian star having broken his leg on set and having to be out for possibly months, was penned by a man who hasn't written a good script since the 80s, it stars 3 actors in their 60s and 70s whose character arcs were brought to a conclusion decades ago, it will yet again feature overpowered superheroes dancing around with laser swords, is being directed by a man who has put out approximately one film that has critical acclaim, and is coming on the heels of over a decade of false-promises, overblown expectations, and terrible franchise entries.

Expectations reined?

Not really, haha. I'll refute one bit of that though. I doubt Ford's role was so vital and major that they can't just shuffle filming for Han stuff toward the end of production; I don't think "one of many actors in the movie is injured and out for a bit, but we can still stay more or less on schedule" is a cause for alarm.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

feedmyleg posted:

Expectations reined?

Yes, but why do you think it's not good? Saying "it's not good" isn't good enough in itself and ignores deeper reading of the film development processes.

THE MEDIUM IS THE MESSAGE

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

jivjov posted:

Not really, haha. I'll refute one bit of that though. I doubt Ford's role was so vital and major that they can't just shuffle filming for Han stuff toward the end of production; I don't think "one of many actors in the movie is injured and out for a bit, but we can still stay more or less on schedule" is a cause for alarm.

Most of the major film sites believe that Han Solo is the main character of the film from what I've read; Devin Faraci in particular has a pretty great history of being right about these things. Seeing how all the Millenium Falcon stuff is shooting right now, it seems like a big problem.

I actually think the movie has a pretty good chance of being enjoyable, but I think we can all agree that behind the scenes the production is a mess.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

So was Jaws. My point is, this movie is going to be as good as Jaws.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

kiimo posted:

This makes me more excited than most leaked images for some reason.

This should make me exited but all I'm hoping is that Abrams learned from his experience of IMAX on Star Trek into Darkness. I saw STID at a 70mm IMAX theatre and the 70mm sequences were brilliant, the 35mm sequences not so much. The 35mm sequences just didn't seem to have been framed in a way which acknowledged the IMAX audience. I was in the perfect viewing seats in the centre of the theatre, and still spent much of the film moving my head around like a tennis game trying to keep track. An example was they put the subtitles in the top corner, which just should be a no-go when you know the film is intended to be shown on such massive screens. Shaky-cam also just, doesn't, work, on an IMAX screen - those sequences were fairly incomprehensible.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

twoot posted:

This should make me exited but all I'm hoping is that Abrams learned from his experience of IMAX on Star Trek into Darkness. I saw STID at a 70mm IMAX theatre and the 70mm sequences were brilliant, the 35mm sequences not so much. The 35mm sequences just didn't seem to have been framed in a way which acknowledged the IMAX audience. I was in the perfect viewing seats in the centre of the theatre, and still spent much of the film moving my head around like a tennis game trying to keep track. An example was they put the subtitles in the top corner, which just should be a no-go when you know the film is intended to be shown on such massive screens. Shaky-cam also just, doesn't, work, on an IMAX screen - those sequences were fairly incomprehensible.

I saw The Dark Knight in IMAX, and it was a terrible experience. I left the theater with neck pain. I could only imagine how awful the space battle in the beginning of ROTS would be. It was already impossible to track and figure out, but blown up that large would be terrible.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Thats you.

I thought the IMAX scenes in Dark Knight were loving awesome - especially the bank robbery. Holy gently caress the zip line!!

BEAUTIFUL.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. There are only ever like two decent seats in an IMAX theater. If you're not lucky enough to sit in one of them, you either don't get to see the whole picture, or you leave the theater with a sore neck.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Thats you.

I thought the IMAX scenes in Dark Knight were loving awesome - especially the bank robbery. Holy gently caress the zip line!!

BEAUTIFUL.

Agree. I always see films in 70mm IMAX if possible, and I don't remember having any problems during any of Chris Nolan's films. STID just used IMAX particularly badly IMO.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I'd say it depends on the type of IMAX theater. We have two that are somewhat local, and the older one is a pain in general to deal with due to the outdated uncomfortable seating and viewing angles. The newer one I've never had issues with though, and thought the Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises was a great experience.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sklyansky posted:

I'd say it depends on the type of IMAX theater. We have two that are somewhat local, and the older one is a pain in general to deal with due to the outdated uncomfortable seating and viewing angles. The newer one I've never had issues with though, and thought the Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises was a great experience.

I saw TDK at an IMAX in NYC, I think it was the Lincoln Square AMC, but I don't remember now. It was terrible because you were really close the the screen. I didn't have terribly good seats, middle of the theater, maybe to far to the right, but the theater just felt so small and cramped. I couldn't see the entire screen without moving my eyes entirely left to right. Not that is a scientific measurement, but it made watching the movie very unenjoyable.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

My Gravity in IMAX theater was transcendent. But that might have been from the vaporizer.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

Most of the major film sites believe that Han Solo is the main character of the film from what I've read; Devin Faraci in particular has a pretty great history of being right about these things. Seeing how all the Millenium Falcon stuff is shooting right now, it seems like a big problem.

Right, I believe the current hot rumor is that the crux of the story is Han, Leia and some new characters going off in search of a missing Luke.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I had a dream that was full of crazy poo poo I didn't remember, and im sure Star Wars was not part of it :/

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Timby posted:

Right, I believe the current hot rumor is that the crux of the story is Han, Leia and some new characters going off in search of a missing Luke.

They find him at the Galactic Buffet in the Outer Rim, using his Jedi powers to hover over a gargantuan trough of food Baron Harkonnen style while he hoovers nauseating amounts of slop into is his now stupendous maw. Han and Leia gasp in horror, realizing their proximity has drawn them near to a kind of event horizon of rapacious gluttony from which there may be no return.

Or something like that.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

They find him at the Galactic Buffet in the Outer Rim, using his Jedi powers to hover over a gargantuan trough of food Baron Harkonnen style while he hoovers nauseating amounts of slop into is his now stupendous maw. Han and Leia gasp in horror, realizing their proximity has drawn them near to a kind of event horizon of rapacious gluttony from which there may be no return.

Or something like that.

Oh, so basically the plot to The Crystal Star.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

feedmyleg posted:

I actually think the movie has a pretty good chance of being enjoyable, but I think we can all agree that behind the scenes the production is a mess.

Got some concrete proof? Or even some sourceable rumors beyond "Some guys speculated"?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

api call girl posted:

Oh, so basically the plot to The Crystal Star.

On reflection, I'm thinking something closer to Pink Flamingos, but in a Star Wars setting. It's too late to cast Divine, but John Waters is still around.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

feedmyleg posted:

They could easily work around Ford's injury and in fact his age by having him sit for the entire movie. His most iconic moment occurs while he's sitting and the prequels feature copious amounts of scenes where characters are sitting, so it should work out. Personally I'm looking forward to Jedi flipping and zooming all over the place while Han Solo sits on a chair, possibly a comfortable recliner.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

feedmyleg posted:

Most of the major film sites believe that Han Solo is the main character of the film from what I've read; Devin Faraci in particular has a pretty great history of being right about these things.

Devin "Pacific Rim - a Star Wars for a new generation" Faraci has a good history on being right?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Timby posted:

This sounds terrible. The old people aren't actually the leads are they?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arglebargle III posted:

When Abrams fired Arndt and replaced him with Kasdan, it was said to be a top-to-bottom rewrite, focusing more on the original cast.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Han has got to die though. How can it not happen.

I wonder if Ford can still do Han Solo.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Sentinel Red posted:

Devin "Pacific Rim - a Star Wars for a new generation" Faraci has a good history on being right?

Being a reliable rumour source / filter is not the same as having good taste in films or predicting how audiences will react.

Maybe Han will have force powers and be awkwardly jammed into Yoda's little flying chair from the prequels.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

As Timby said, the rumor when Abrams and Kasdan took over screenwriting was that they wanted to give the original leads bigger parts in Episode VII and then focus on the younger characters in Episodes VIII and IX. I emphasize the word "rumor" though. It could very well be true, but I think this thread has been awfully quick to treat every rumor as fact.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Party Boat posted:

Being a reliable rumour source / filter is not the same as having good taste in films or predicting how audiences will react.

Harry_Knowles.txt

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Guys - I just read this from a reliable source and it's 100% true according to my uncle who lives in California.

The Internet posted:

When Abrams and Kasdan took over screenwriting was that they wanted to give the original leads bigger parts in Episode VII and then focus on the younger characters in Episodes VIII and IX.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Diabolik900 posted:

As Timby said, the rumor when Abrams and Kasdan took over screenwriting was that they wanted to give the original leads bigger parts in Episode VII and then focus on the younger characters in Episodes VIII and IX. I emphasize the word "rumor" though. It could very well be true, but I think this thread has been awfully quick to treat every rumor as fact.

It wouldn't really be that terrible though. The first half of A New Hope aside from the droids in space is basically the Obi Wan power hour anyway.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Counterpoint, Highlander: Endgame (ominously also released six years after the last theatrical movie in its franchise).

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You know what film productions ran as smooth as can be? The prequels.

I never assume a film is going to be bad if there's problems. It's like a band, sometimes the best albums are created during horrifyingly hosed up times. Wish You Were Here comes to mind. A screwy production can create Cleopatra or Waterworld sure, but it could also create Blade Runner, Titanic or Apocalypse Now just as easily.

edit: speaking of disasters...

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/this-is-t...dium=socialflow

kiimo fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 10, 2014

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

So glad they are using practical effects and costumes. Already better than the prequels.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

kiimo posted:

You know what film productions ran as smooth as can be? The prequels.

Phantom Menace had a bunch of sets get trashed by a sandstorm if I recall correctly. A New Hope might have also had that happen though so who knows.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Pops Mgee posted:

Phantom Menace had a bunch of sets get trashed by a sandstorm if I recall correctly. A New Hope might have also had that happen though so who knows.

So a sandstorm wrecked some hard drives

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

FishBulb posted:

So a sandstorm wrecked some hard drives

The Phantom Menace still used physical sets.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Phantom Menace is a poo poo movie but I give them credit for going back to Tunisia and building real sets.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah. Phantom Menace has a lot of faults, but the sets and effects and character designs were never any of mine.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Character designs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

Character designs?

wardrobes

• Locked thread