Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

i would be upset if i bought a used motherboard and it ended up being hwid banned and i get vacced for trying to save a few bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Egan Yardley posted:

i would be upset if i bought a used motherboard and it ended up being hwid banned and i get vacced for trying to save a few bucks.
Though all I have seen so far indicates that HWID bans on VAC are rumours spread by some developer of hacks for CS:GO.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Played insertion twice yesterday (mission). 12-3 3-12. 9-6 6-9. gently caress that map and the lovely rear end fog, hills, and trees.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Played insertion twice yesterday (mission). 12-3 3-12. 9-6 6-9. gently caress that map and the lovely rear end fog, hills, and trees.

Wrong, it is fun.

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

it's fun until a teammate jumps on top of you while the screen fades and you spawn stuck to each other

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Egan Yardley posted:

Luckily hardware bans are incredibly easy to get around.

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^
lmao

New map pool and veto mode for ESL One Cologne 2014 CS:GO Championship

New additions are Cache, Overpass and Cobblestone, which will all make their first “grand slam” appearance at the ESL One Cologne 2014 main event but not the qualification stages before.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Powerful Wizard IRL posted:

lmao

The ESL has now confirmed that it will be adopting the "active duty map" pool, a designation introduced by July 2nd's update, which means that de_cache, de_cobblestone and de_overpass have been added to the list.

Cobblestone will be vetoed 99%

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

http://www.eslgaming.com/news/new-map-pool-and-veto-mode-esl-one-cologne-2014-csgo-championship posted:

Veto: Focus vetoes will become more important

Besides public discussions about what a perfect map veto process might look like, we have been working on updating our routines and would love to introduce these changes to you. While teams in Katowice knew every map that was to be played in Bo1 or Bo3 right away, we are bringing a bit of randomness to the scene.
In Cologne, teams will keep vetoing or picking until only three maps are left. These three left over maps will be put into a random generator picking the map to be played in a Best of One series or the decider map in Best of 3 series.
The system works like this:
Best of One: Ban A - Ban B - Ban A - Ban B - Randomized map out of the three remaining
Best of Three: Ban A - Ban B - Pick A - Pick B - Randomized 3rd map out of the three remaining

I can't wait until the shitstorm that occurs over cbble or overpass winding up as a randomized tiebreaker map

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
^o^
Sure, we need new maps. Sure, they can be tried even though nobody wants to play them. Sure, let's start with one of the biggest tourneys of the year, with an announcement 1 month prior. :pwn:

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

lmao

but not the qualification stages before.

As much as i scoff at those maps being added, i guess it will be at least sort of fun to see good teams play on them lol.
Hopefully the next QUARTER MILLION tourney includes conduit and that weird night time city map we tried out.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Oh man I really want to see them play cbble :allears:

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
^o^

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

As much as i scoff at those maps being added, i guess it will be at least sort of fun to see good teams play on them lol.
Hopefully the next QUARTER MILLION tourney includes conduit and that weird night time city map we tried out.
Did they ever say why season isnt in the list? I'd like to try out remakes of forge, comrade, russka, rush, villa, whatever old maps that saw brief competitive play. If we had Toscan though...

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Apogee15 posted:

Luckily hardware bans are incredibly easy to get around.

Then I guess MM is just doomed.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
As much as I appreciate Valve's attempt to improve the variety for spectators, this probably just isn't enough:

• de_nuke
• de_dust2
• de_inferno
• de_mirage
• de_cache
• de_overpass
• de_cobblestone

Is the pool and I can't see any circumstance where overpass and cobblestone aren't banned in every. single. match. Dust2 is a sacred cow that will be in every pool until CSGO is rotting in the ground, but I feel like if they swapped the other perpetual holies - nuke & inferno - to something like Season & i-don't-know-what, then we might see some variety. But there's no attraction for teams *not* to ban these odd maps. Since each team gets 2 bans, even some comedy "we're going to seriously practice overpass and cobblestone and not ban them" strats will be completely invalidated by the other team.

Cache is a nice addition, though, and will be a fun alternate map to watch.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Just add season and Tuscan instead of cbble and overpass.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

mcvey posted:

Yeah but neither of those are Valve's maps right now, whereas Valve has decided to spend all year trying to make Cobblestone and Overpass relevant to the competitive scene(and completely failing). I have to figure ESL using them is some Valve sponsorship deal, but it's just so poorly thought out.

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
^o^

mcvey posted:

Is your av new?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I would have never thought that 20 MAG-7 kills in casual can take comparably long to competitive. :smithicide:

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Over a month ago courtesy of the left-handed-inverted-retarded contingent of our group.

Cuntpunch posted:

Yeah but neither of those are Valve's maps right now, whereas Valve has decided to spend all year trying to make Cobblestone and Overpass relevant to the competitive scene(and completely failing). I have to figure ESL using them is some Valve sponsorship deal, but it's just so poorly thought out.
Valve dumb

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
Back in the day it seemed like mill(or some variation of it) was always a favorite in competitive, and I'm surprised it's not played more.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Apogee15 posted:

Back in the day it seemed like mill(or some variation of it) was always a favorite in competitive, and I'm surprised it's not played more.

It was played in a couple of seasons of ESEA and CEVO for GO. A straight up re-make of 1.6 mill would be a disaster in GO with the buffed(relative to 1.6) smokes.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Cuntpunch posted:

Valve has decided to spend all year trying to make Cobblestone and Overpass relevant to the competitive scene(and completely failing).

How is it a complete failure? They'll be played at ESL this year, which seems like a success?

Overpass is a good map, the only reason they aren't "competitively relevant" is that it takes around 3 years for cs nerds to come around to a new map. Also cbble has had plenty of pro games played on it in 1.6, ya'll hate way too much. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's better than cache or train

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 9, 2014

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

down with slavery posted:

How is it a complete failure? They'll be played at ESL this year, which seems like a success?

Overpass is a good map, the only reason they aren't "competitively relevant" is that it takes around 3 years for cs nerds to come around to a new map. Also cbble has had plenty of pro games played on it in 1.6, ya'll hate way too much. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's better than cache or train

Train is not better than cbble. Train is an awesome map. When was cbble used plenty of times in 1.6 for pro games? Even the super early 2000's of the CPL tournaments didn't use it. It was always dust, dust2, aztec, train, inferno, nuke. Then along came the CPL maps to add into those (mill, fire, strike). I don't hate cbble as much as most people, probably because I am weird, but I am really wondering when cbble was used a bunch. I would love to see really good teams play on it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Train is not better than cbble.
He says the same? :confused:

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
pretty sure OGL(HEH) ran cbble in 1.6 and source. not very relevant to the csgo version though, really.

im excited to see some 'wacky' maps.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I am really wondering when cbble was used a bunch. I would love to see really good teams play on it.

It was played in Cal (including invite) for a good amount of time, seasons 8 and onward maybe?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Bad news for teams that ignore a map in the current pool. Teams can force e.g. Na'Vi to play either Cobble, Overpass or Nuke (the map that they don't currently practice).

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
Why wouldn't teams practice nuke?

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone
:corsair: incoming:

I played back when there were only 3 CAL divisions, CAL-I, CAL-M and CAL-O, and de_cbble was on the rotation.

Can't remember what year it was but that's pretty early on. I tried my best google-fu but couldn't pull up any info on old CAL stuff.

The new cbble isn't the greatest but there is plenty of history on that map. Hopefully Valve keeps changing it for the better.

Also I unironically love overpass and can't wait to see some pro games on it.

Daeno fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 10, 2014

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
^o^

Thom P. Tiers posted:

When was cbble used plenty of times in 1.6 for pro games? Even the super early 2000's of the CPL tournaments didn't use it. It was always dust, dust2, aztec, train, inferno, nuke. Then along came the CPL maps to add into those (mill, fire, strike). I don't hate cbble as much as most people, probably because I am weird, but I am really wondering when cbble was used a bunch. I would love to see really good teams play on it.

Nah I think it outlasted aztec and prodigy, cbble was played into the early 2000s. "fRod vs 4Kings on cbble, best POV I've ever seen" was CPL 2005.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Apogee15 posted:

Why wouldn't teams practice nuke?

If they always veto 1 map, they can practice the other maps 25% more. Hard to say if it helps, but it definitely is problematic with the current tournament map pools that have some selection of season/cache/cbble/overpass in addition to the 5 standard maps.

Nah I think it outlasted aztec and prodigy, cbble was played into the early 2000s. "fRod vs 4Kings on cbble, best POV I've ever seen" was CPL 2005.

SpawN's famous almost-ninja-defuse was from CPL Winter 2005 as well.

Also, Overpass is an underrated map.

Smol fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 10, 2014

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

kalstrams posted:

He says the same? :confused:

Er yea, I was quickly typing, that needs to be reversed. Cbble is not better than train (but I don't mind it as much as most people).

And man, I have been playing this game way too long that my memory has just all blurred together. Cbble was definitely used competitively for a decent amount of time, jesus christ.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Smol posted:

If they always veto 1 map, they can practice the other maps 25% more. Hard to say if it helps, but it definitely is problematic with the current tournament map pools that have some selection of season/cache/cbble/overpass in addition to the 5 standard maps. years really gaining a ton out of scrimming inferno dt and mirage that wouldn't just be overall useful to the team.

What team are you talking about? The only thing problematic about the pool being different is that they're going to have to learn to play cs like men and get better at nuke.

:smug:Pretty shameful poo poo IMHO:smug:

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Bring back fire

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Turns out the guy I sit next to at work used to play in 4 kings, im trying to make him play CS:GO so I can learn his ways

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

slev posted:

Bring back fire

Let's play this:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=269147946

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

down with slavery posted:

Get your reading comprehension together, it's pretty apparent that by 'seeing play' you mean 'showing up in the map pool and getting banned probably 100%' and that's not exactly a success. Valve would need to apply a lot more leverage to get them actual, legitimate play time.

Even in a situation like with Na'Vi, I'd be legitimately surprised if, to learn an additional map, they decide to pick up Cobblestone or Overpass rather than Nuke - because they presumably at least have 'casual' familiarity with it and it's relevant to other leagues.

ESL is going to be the big debut at the top-tier level for Cache(congrats FMPONE), and Cache totally deserves it. But the others just aren't ready for the primetime yet and it just seems like focusing on creating more 'official' versions of maps the competitive scene would play of their own free will(Season/Mill/Tuscan/etc) would be a better expenditure of Valve's resources than this repetitive "GUYS WE POSTED A TWO THOUSAND WORD BLOG DESCRIBING OVERPASS BALANCE CHANGES WILL YOU PLEASE PLAY IT NOW PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE"

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

What team are you talking about? The only thing problematic about the pool being different is that they're going to have to learn to play cs like men and get better at nuke.

:smug:Pretty shameful poo poo IMHO:smug:

A few examples:

Na'Vi - Nuke
Virtus Pro - Nuke
Titan - Train

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
^o^

ok. let's also try facade and bastion

Powerful Wizard IRL fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 10, 2014

• Locked thread