Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

ineptmule posted:

So... am I missing something, or is the Ork Horde formation technically pointless?

You get a new FOC, but you lose Objective Secured.

You lose Objective Secured if you go Unbound anyway, so what's the point?

You get unreliable Hammer of Wrath on your big units.

Yeah, not remotely worth losing ObSec for...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AbusePuppy posted:

Don't throw those Battlewagons out the window quite yet- with the formation from the Ghazzy supplement, they are actually incredibly good. Buy five 'Wagons, get Scout for free.

Is there a place to purchase that supplement without getting the Collector's Edition?

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is there a place to purchase that supplement without getting the Collector's Edition?

You can get the normal version now, but it's still $50 which is crazy.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Actually if that is a considered character and it gets to challenge any excess wounds over the other characters W Characteristic from Stomp or it's attacks go into the squad which is disgusting.

So you can challenge, stomp the gently caress out of it and get the wounds to carry over. The bad thing is that if you challenge it and you outnumber it you get that whole surrounded bonus, which I can't remember what it is.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Yeah, supplements are the same cost as the regular book. It's very nice of them to bring out a bad ork codex on the same day as a supplement that helps them out a lot by adding ~3 pages of rules for 50 bucks.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Not absolutely sure it's kosher for me to say, but if you google "forces of da great waaagh" you will be pleasantly surprised.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Zark the Damned posted:

You get unreliable Hammer of Wrath on your big units.

Yeah, not remotely worth losing ObSec for...

The only way I see it being useful is if you want 3 more HQs/Heavy Supports/Whatever and you're not allowed to take a second CAD. 100 points of Gretchin meatshields is the cost.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Well at least it doesn't get a Look out Sir! roll.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

ineptmule posted:

So... am I missing something, or is the Ork Horde formation technically pointless?

You get a new FOC, but you lose Objective Secured.

You lose Objective Secured if you go Unbound anyway, so what's the point?

All formations have particular special rules or abilities - the battleforged FoC gives you the Warlord reroll and objective secured. I don't have the Ork codex but I think it gives hammer of wrath to units that are 10+ and some other special rules instead.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I think I have sunk sufficiently low into 'hamdom when I've been secretly making "space for 40K and 40K table storage" a serious factor in my flat hunting. Managed to (pending the conveyancing shite) get a place with a huge storage cupboard... lots of space for filthy filthy 'hams!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lord Twisted posted:

I think I have sunk sufficiently low into 'hamdom when I've been secretly making "space for 40K and 40K table storage" a serious factor in my flat hunting. Managed to (pending the conveyancing shite) get a place with a huge storage cupboard... lots of space for filthy filthy 'hams!

I'm moving next year and I'm already looking at prices for custom-built cupboards to have a hide-away hobby space. let us be hammy together.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Special Rules:
+2 to Mob Rule rolls, wounds inflicted are 3+D3 instead of D6

So wait, if you fail a leadership roll you'll always inflict between 4-6 wounds?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So wait, if you fail a leadership roll you'll always inflict between 4-6 wounds?

It's S4 hits, not straight-up wounds, but it could potentially happen.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Luckily, most of the Formations from that book either are Fearless, have easy access to Fearless, or are Vehicles. You'll only really run into it with the Kommando formation.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

raverrn posted:

WS & BS 5, IWND, 3++ and is a character. The ability to challenge is pretty drat huge, I think its worth the points.

So you can buy the warlord knight from when you could take them as a primary? Yawn.

CyberLord XP posted:

Wait can it still AOE stomp if it's challenged? I don't know how knights work.

Yeah, but the non "removed from play" hits hit the challenger...and I was beaten to this. :orks:Abuse Puppy!:orks:

I played my foam warhound titan last night (with IG support). I lost 5 guardsmen and had the guy tabled on turn 3. S:D pie plates are still pretty good.

e: speaking of Abuse Puppy, do you have pics of your void shield generator? I'll probably want to make one if I keep rolling with the warhound.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

S.J. posted:

Yeah, supplements are the same cost as the regular book. It's very nice of them to bring out a bad ork codex on the same day as a supplement that helps them out a lot by adding ~3 pages of rules for 50 bucks.

I dunno, the Ghaz book doesn't really seem to cover much of the glaring problems with the Ork book (and in the case of the Mob Rule, just exasperates it). 5 scouting Battlewagons is pretty nice, but everything else in the book doesn't seem that great.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Naramyth posted:

I played my foam warhound titan last night

Pics or it didn't happen (or just show pics of your foam titan).

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

I found Hammerheads useful in every Tau match I've played, but I always give them ion cannons for versatility. Although if you like using Longstrike (like me), a rail Hammerhead can be pretty reliable. I tend to leave the rails to the Broadsides, though. I know they're not as good as missile Broadsides, but I think the missile ones look stupid. Also if they're part of that formation, rail ones work fine.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN
I know the point of a Battlewagon is to shove boys down someone's throat, but is a Kannon ever worth it? I mean, if your BW lives to deliver the boys, it's only ten points to throw out a small blast every turn.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

krushgroove posted:

Pics or it didn't happen (or just show pics of your foam titan).

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
That new Knight is freaking terrifying. No need to fear ork powerklaws if you can just challenge them away, and Orks have precious little else that can put a hurting on Knights. 3++ on one facing is also really strong, unless you play AM or Tau and thus have long range firepower to waste across the board.

IWND is a very meh ability, in my experience. I pretty much always run a Helldrake (just one) and have used the Crimson Slaughter amor that grants it (mostly in order to get a 2+ save on a bike lord or sorcerer), and I honestly can't remember it ever recovering a wound or hull point. Though I reckon giving it to something with a ton of hull points/wounds that can never be one-shotted is another matter.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Speaking of super heavies…

I really like the look of the Falchion Tank Destroyer and am thinking of getting it or the Typhon Siege Tank to hunt titans/imperial knights down the road. Both have 12HP and no shields. The Typhoon has a 48” 7” blast that ignores cover at S10 AP1 and better armor. The Flachion has a 120” twin linked BS4 strength D weapon with a large blast.

For murdering knights and titans is one better than the other? I thought the volcano cannon ignored void shields, but apparently that rule doesn’t exist anymore :(

For reference, a war hound costs 750 points and usually packs x2 twin linked strength D weapons. The Flachion and Typhoon cost ~500 each.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
I've grabbed a box of the Flashgitz and am busy converting a bunch of Blackreach Nobz with leftover bits. This is a good loving kit. A rip-off, but a good kit. I still have to re-base my old Flashgitz.

Going to work on some new Kannons because those new kits put the old metal ones to shame.

Having been on the receiving end of fleet the new Ere We Go rule sounds awesome.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Luckily, most of the Formations from that book either are Fearless, have easy access to Fearless, or are Vehicles. You'll only really run into it with the Kommando formation.

Man, Formations and Detachments are weird as gently caress. This is completely different from what I'm used to.

Slimnoid posted:

I dunno, the Ghaz book doesn't really seem to cover much of the glaring problems with the Ork book (and in the case of the Mob Rule, just exasperates it). 5 scouting Battlewagons is pretty nice, but everything else in the book doesn't seem that great.

The BullyBoyz squad looks pretty devastating.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I already have two units of 5 Meganobs in my list. I wonder if I could squeeze in a third to take advantage of it.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Free Waaagh banner and no need to take Bosspoles makes it very tempting to. It's probably my favorite Formation in the book.

I just have to get ahold of 300 dollars worth of Meganobs...

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Slimnoid posted:

Nah, it's fine. Ignore the FoC and just take formations. The Green Tide is probably going to be really solid, there's a better KFF, and some useful wargear. It doesn't solve the problems of the book but at least makes regular boyz worth taking and gives better tools for protecting your dudes.

That doesn't make Orks not bad, but all of these things really should have been in the main rulebook, not a supplement. That's what's loving stupid.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Well at least it doesn't get a Look out Sir! roll.

What do you mean, "at least"?

The image of a Guardsman doing a flying leap in front of a Death Strike missile to protect Knight Sempai would be glorious.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

BULBASAUR posted:

I really like the look of the Falchion Tank Destroyer and am thinking of getting it or the Typhon Siege Tank to hunt titans/imperial knights down the road. Both have 12HP and no shields. The Typhoon has a 48” 7” blast that ignores cover at S10 AP1 and better armor. The Flachion has a 120” twin linked BS4 strength D weapon with a large blast.

For murdering knights and titans is one better than the other? I thought the volcano cannon ignored void shields, but apparently that rule doesn’t exist anymore :(

For reference, a war hound costs 750 points and usually packs x2 twin linked strength D weapons. The Flachion and Typhoon cost ~500 each.

For super heavy hunting go with the Falchion, stripping a single hull point on a 1-4 on the chart is just really slow, plus im guessing ordo reductor or dark mechanicus will end up with a GC hybrid monstrosity or two, D will do work. Speaking from personal experience since my heirophant got 1 shot bottom of turn 1 last weekend, dude rolled a 6 ontop of a 6 :negative:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sephyr posted:

That new Knight is freaking terrifying. No need to fear ork powerklaws if you can just challenge them away, and Orks have precious little else that can put a hurting on Knights. 3++ on one facing is also really strong, unless you play AM or Tau and thus have long range firepower to waste across the board.

IWND is a very meh ability, in my experience. I pretty much always run a Helldrake (just one) and have used the Crimson Slaughter amor that grants it (mostly in order to get a 2+ save on a bike lord or sorcerer), and I honestly can't remember it ever recovering a wound or hull point. Though I reckon giving it to something with a ton of hull points/wounds that can never be one-shotted is another matter.

Maybe toss in a Mek with a killsaw so that there's more than one threat?

It's a shame Ghazghkull Thraka isn't a "Warboss" for that Green Tide formation. He'd be perfect.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Those daemonhosts piss me off so much after reading Eisenhorn. They should be little MCs that gently caress things up, not wacky random comedy options. Who the gently caress would risk all their poo poo to summon something that dumb??

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

I use a Typhon with my Death Guard. It's, to me, a great use of points...but probably not for what you want it for. I love it, and it's a super-good-looking model, and I think it could relatively reliably chip a Knight down over a game, but if you're even considering fighting Titans I would prefer a Falchion. I think it's important to note they're pretty significantly different in terms of points cost (mostly that you can't bring a Fellblade into 2k point games). Have you looked at a Cerberus? It's not a blast but it is Primary Weapon D3 at S10 AP1 and if you pen with it, whatever you hit can only Snap Shot, for the cost of a really-blinged-out Land Raider.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm a little iffy on how detachment work, do they have to be taken as allied detachments or can I claim the benefits if I meet the prereqs in my main force?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

The Typhon looks like it's a much better tank than the Falchion in general - the Typhon cannon will just evaporate 7" circles off the board every turn. I'd say that's better than a D weapon. The Falchion will be much better at killing Superheavies, though.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm a little iffy on how detachment work, do they have to be taken as allied detachments or can I claim the benefits if I meet the prereqs in my main force?

I think you mean Formations? They're fully separate detachments. An Allied Detachment is something different. See "Selecting Detachments" in the new rule book.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The Typhon looks like it's a much better tank than the Falchion in general - the Typhon cannon will just evaporate 7" circles off the board every turn. I'd say that's better than a D weapon. The Falchion will be much better at killing Superheavies, though.

The Volcano Cannon is a large blast, so it's not exactly awful at clearing units. I still think the Typhon is probably a better all-purpose tank (and probably the most versatile and effective points-vs-utility LoW in 30k) but the Falchion is probably going to come out vastly ahead if you're hunting superheavies because the Typhon doesn't reliably trade well with other superheavies.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 9, 2014

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

The Volcano Cannon will allow a cover save, most of the time, so the effects will largely be mitigated. Barring a good invul save and/or T6+, nothing will save you from the Typhon cannon.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I definitely agree, I just mean in a big-boy tank battle a Falchion is going to be turning it's weapon onto infantry after killing it's opposition while a Typhon is either going to spend the whole game pinging off HPs or ignoring it's opposite. I doubt I'd bring a Typhon into a super-heavy gunfight because 6 HP even at AV14 is only going to last you so long. I guess the takeaway is they're two very different tanks with very different purposes.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Conversion time. The army of too many buggies is a go!

That's not all of them I think I'll have at least 30 when all is said and done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think my Rogue Trader game has hit peak... something. During a lull between major story arcs, having finished obtaining gene-seed samples from the Flesh Tearers, Carcharodons, and a couple homebrew chapters for the Space Wolves, the group has decided that they will seek out Illuminor Szeras to obtain his help in bio-transferring the group's tech-priest into a Necron body. He's madly in love with the lady Cryptek who's been helping the PCs out since almost the beginning of the game and proposed to her at the end of the last session. She agreed on the condition that he leave behind the remnants of flesh, and the group thinks it's all adorable so they're on a quest for the one person in the galaxy who can help with this.

• Locked thread