Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

nutranurse posted:

So judging by all these posts it would be better for me to try learning Fortress Mode with the previous DF version, correct? Or would that knowledge be moot because 2014 has changed a lot mechanics?

The way you push buttons to make dwarves do a thing didn't change. You might want to stick to 34.11 if you want to learn the ropes without having to give a poo poo about the first wave of bugs, but this poo poo owns so I dunno. Your call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Welp. As if things couldn't get possibly worse.

I sent the last sane dwarves left at it but to no avail. They werestled until they fell into the cave water and drowned.

Everyones dead. The only dwarves left are 6 children who are just wandering around the halls lined with the bodies of the dead. They don't really seem affected by the whole thing!

Oh. Okay.

Now they're fighting each other To the victor go the spoils. Delicious Dwarven children. Oh that's lovely. The remaining children are being haunted by their dead baby siblings.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No but seriously, how do I get rid of all the corpses the cats are dragging in? One of my dwarfs rooms looks like a bug-cemetary

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Bug remains go into a refuse stockpile. If the remains you want cleaned up are technically outside, you may need to go into the [o]rders menu to allow refuse to be gathered from outdoor areas.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Also in the Refuse orders menu, set it so Dwarves Dump Other.

This "Other" encompasses vermin remains and all the other weird inedible and unusable butchering byproducts like nerves. Set a garbage dump zone somewhere and it automatically gets disposed of.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Indecisive posted:

So I haven't played in years, how does animal care + breeding work? I assume I should build a pen for them on grass somewhere? And have a dwarf assigned to them to do.. something? I designated a zone for a pen/pasture but of course the animals don't give a gently caress, in the middle of building walls around it which is going slow as FFFFUCK because the masons won't use wheelbarrows to move the stone.

Animals breed by basically magic, as long as you have both sexes in your fortress they will whelp eventually even if they're not pastured. You should still pasture them though. A dwarf is usually needed to drag the animal to the pasture to begin with (and drag it back when it eventually gets scared and runs away), but they aren't required for anything else (except training, but that's a whole different problem). There's no need to wall in your pastures, but when you do construct walls, do not use raw stone. As you noticed, it takes for loving ever. Use rock blocks, which are much lighter. In pretty much every fort where I plan to do extensive surface building, I have one mason assigned to churn out rock blocks non-stop.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Met posted:

It was just a medium world too. 550 years of generation though.

Also, this is pretty great DF fanart.

That's really cool, reminds me of the kind of thing I used to draw in elementary school, big castles and dungeons and stuff with lots of tiny characters doing things. I just spent about 10 minutes looking at that image.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

HerrBrau posted:

Anyone else seen farm plots underground that will grow nothing but plump helmets and dimple dye?

When you navigate through the seasons options in the plot menu it doesn't actually update the plant listings. If you go to the menu while the item you want to plant is actually in season it will appear.

In other glitch news, don't get too fixated on a fortress yet. I just attempted to load a save from last night and it is hard crashing on "loading mandates". I checked my backup saves and 5 seasons worth of saves have the same problem, even though I had no problem in game.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
So I asked a Human Swordsman to guide me to the lair of a Dark Troll but it's taking forever because he moves ten spaces northwest and then doubles back five and spins around for a bit. This is the longest quest ever.

Also I got lucky in my fortress and got a bunch of Armadillo Men spawned into the map. Protip, if you see one send your military after them because they'll wrestle their way into Legendary Fighter in no time continuously grasping and letting go the poor Armadillo Man's shell.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Angry Diplomat posted:

Looking through the legends, it appears that Waxmaligned, the dark fortress that saw Gamo murdered, his murderer murdered, and his murderer's children murdered after murdering several other people, has kind of a high murder rate. It would seem that its occupants take their worship of the deity of murder incredibly seriously - sudden, seemingly acontextual homicides are amazingly common in the history of its citizens.

This is pretty much just another day in goblin culture. In DF2012 I saw a lot of "goblin" civs that were so good at babysnatching and indoctrination that all the actual goblin goblins ended up getting out-bred and murdering themselves to extinction.

Merely being grand high poobah of the civilization and an immortal firebreathing helldemon is no inoculation against sudden-onset daggeritis.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Met posted:

quote:

Civilized World Population

151,378 Dwarves
1,055,695,028 Humans
43,529 Elves
62,332 Goblins
2,577 Kobolds

Total: 1,055,954,844
It was just a medium world too. 550 years of generation though.

Can you check the town populations?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

pixaal posted:

How else do you want it to work? Automatically assign dwarfs things to do?

Honestly? What I personally would like is better sorting on many of the lists. For example I would LOVE IT if I could sort my dwarves by their 'job name' as opposed to their skills in-game.

As an example :

I get an immigrant wave with 20+ immigrants. Half of them are assorted kinds of farmers that I do not need. I do need a few pump operators and hunters.

When I pull up the list of dwarves, they're sorted based on the dwarves' assigned jobs, which are based on skills. So if I have an expert plant gatherer and I assign him to be a hunter, until his hunting skill exceeds his plant gathering he's still going to be sorted into the middle of the giant block of farmers in the menu.

If I could sort based on job name, then I could manually create 'groups' for my dwarves to be in and I could locate specific dwarves in the menus rapidly and easily without having to search through 20+ brown names to find the one specific one I'm trying to find.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Toady has made the first bug fixes for the upcoming version.

- 0006653: [Adventure Mode -- General] Displaying tracks is bound to k instead of K (Toady One) - resolved.
- 0006524: [Adventure Mode -- Conversation] Crash when talking to deity (Toady One) - resolved.
- 0006538: [Adventure Mode -- Combat] Crashed while blocking in arena mode (Toady One) - resolved.

http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/changelog_page.php

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I hope he releases as soon as he fixes the crash on load bug.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I would've thought priority one would go on making sure bad guys would actually aggro onto the player, rather than have them all frolic together for tea parties, discussing current affairs.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Try screaming death threats in that aimless street-corner fashion, the camp inhabitants will certainly indulge you.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

One time I shouted at them like that, and I think one of my allies thought I meant it towards them, and they shot me with their crossbow. That's how the Armored Council of Trials ended...

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Either goblin merchant bodyguards explode into violence when adventurers drop by, or I'm in the middle of a city wide goblin invasion. Judging by the amount of goblin merchants desperately pleading for the violence to end, I'm guessing it's a bug.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
What I find particularly absurd is that I can roll up on some dwarf fort in adventure mode, enter, and immediately see them engaging in a massive drunken brawl. That's got to be a bug, right?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Started an adventurer to go explore my old fortress. Couldn't even get out of the fort I spawned in. I tried to say hello to the king and he just spat in my face. Dwarf Fortress.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Started an adventurer to go explore my old fortress. Couldn't even get out of the fort I spawned in. I tried to say hello to the king and he just spat in my face. Dwarf Fortress.

I spawned a macedwarf demigod and ended up getting killed by a Giant Olm after I spent 10 minutes trying to get out of the fort I spawned in, but somehow only managed to go deeper. :whitewater:

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

khy posted:

Honestly? What I personally would like is better sorting on many of the lists. For example I would LOVE IT if I could sort my dwarves by their 'job name' as opposed to their skills in-game.

As an example :

I get an immigrant wave with 20+ immigrants. Half of them are assorted kinds of farmers that I do not need. I do need a few pump operators and hunters.

When I pull up the list of dwarves, they're sorted based on the dwarves' assigned jobs, which are based on skills. So if I have an expert plant gatherer and I assign him to be a hunter, until his hunting skill exceeds his plant gathering he's still going to be sorted into the middle of the giant block of farmers in the menu.

If I could sort based on job name, then I could manually create 'groups' for my dwarves to be in and I could locate specific dwarves in the menus rapidly and easily without having to search through 20+ brown names to find the one specific one I'm trying to find.

But can't you basically do that in Dwarf Therapist? You can assign custom profession names and group by profession.

You can also assign custom nicknames. There's a DFHack plugin (I think it's in both Masterwork and the Starter pack) that sorts some lists alphabetically when you press "shift-alt-n", those dwarves with nicknames end up at the bottom of the list.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Apoffys posted:

But can't you basically do that in Dwarf Therapist? You can assign custom profession names and group by profession.

You can also assign custom nicknames. There's a DFHack plugin (I think it's in both Masterwork and the Starter pack) that sorts some lists alphabetically when you press "shift-alt-n", those dwarves with nicknames end up at the bottom of the list.

This. You can basically sort by a whole bunch of metrics such as profession, migration wave and even individual skill. Also, if you don't like the dots for denoting skill level, you can set it to show actual numbers from blank to 15.

There's a ton of customization in the settings.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Okay... I've been checking my creature list every so often to see if the annoying Peregrin Falcon Men will ever leave and saw about twenty babies of various races, including a Dusk Creature Baby, and Consort Of The Dusk Creature Baby.

'A large eyeless humanoid. It has thin wings of stretched skin and it groans from time to time. Its black skin is rough and cracked. Now you will know why you fear the night. He is fat.'

I can't zoom in on them or find them by scrolling around the map at all, so now I just imagine a bunch of fat babies from various races following their eyeless baby leader in staring at dwarves from behind shrubs.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Righteously taking its place among the geese and iron thrones, the "wave o' babies" bug.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Can't wait for some quality of life improvements from Falconne (is that the name? I'm on my phone).

I'm really missing the search feature and the cursor staying in place between menus.

But I'm also having tons of fun with these trees so it's worth it. Having DFhack spoiled me a little (oh a dwarf I really like is mortally wounded let me just heal him...) so it's nice having to just deal with whatever the game throws at me.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Is this supposed to be the entrance/exit? It just leads to a dead end in the middle of an underground cave system.

e: Oh god I finally found it. It was just a spiral up/down ramp system that went on for like 20 minutes.

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 9, 2014

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I tried creating a dwarf adventurer. He was trapped, alone, in part of a dwarf mountain home.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

a slime posted:

I visited a random fortress in adventure mode, which was perfectly square with about 30 dwarves inside. They were all trying to climb the walls and failing, slipping down and trying again and again. I took a couple of things from a pile of goods in the center, and the mayor lunged at me on my way out. I sliced off his neck (?), killing him, and the rest of the dwarves continued clawing at the fortress walls none the wiser.

:stare:

Holy poo poo

ful
Sep 16, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

Yeah, but I just turned it off because all of the names and text were missing chunks of names.

You just have to change the directx, opengl, etc setting in it's config file to something else to fix that.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Sultan Tarquin posted:

e: Oh god I finally found it. It was just a spiral up/down ramp system that went on for like 20 minutes.

20 minutes of fast-travel time, or lowest-level-map time?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Babycuddle

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

Shoehead posted:

Babycuddle

Oh man, you need to make the world aware of the mightly line of Babycuddle warriors. Who are the Gods of Babycuddle?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Othin posted:

Oh man, you need to make the world aware of the mightly line of Babycuddle warriors. Who are the Gods of Babycuddle?

I'm not sure, I've forgotten how to talk to people but from wandering around Babycuddle is literally a hall on a hill surrounded by a bog.

Edit: The Hall is called The Elbow of Hugs. It's ruled by the League of Life and is being menaced by some bandits hiding out in a place called Witchproblems.

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 10, 2014

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
The necromancers are honest at least and surprisingly friendly.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Found my old fort and looted an artifact iron breastplate I made before everything went to poo poo. Then I found a ghost walking around. They're surprisingly friendly for having died in horribly maddening agony!

Then I asked him to take over responsibility of some podunk hillock I claimed and he accepted. I wonder how they'd react to being ruled by a ghost.

e: Welp a ghost baby just haunted me to death.

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 10, 2014

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The new dark towers are pretty big. There are prison cells inside of them and you can rescue the people inside. I'm in a fairly early history world, though, so I've only found one so far. The non-aggression bug makes it really easy to get through! The Trolls are really chill.

e:
I am rescuing all the children.

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 10, 2014

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Dwarf Fortress's bug tracker as a metaphor for life.

quote:

0006895: Unable to begin regular conversation with shouting target

Steps To Reproduce
1. Find a person
2. Begin shouting
3. Attempt to talk normally to the person you're shouting to.

I want those steps to reproduce on a shirt.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
All this wood is certain going to make not digging immediately for lava easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
I always played fortress mode, but with the new version I thought I'd take a shot at adventurer mode:

:stare: