Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Jliznel posted:

Yea until the end of the month is open enrollment Btw what samsung do you have? Cause the ports on the note2 note 3 s4 s5 are able to be swapped and replaced. So you might be able to (unless he repaired it after he attached the tep) go to a different store now that its been a couple days and have it repaired at no cost cause you have the insurance and the 75 dollar fee is only because you didnt have insurance.

I have an S4. The problem was really weird, where the phone would occasionally refuse tocharge faster than it drained on lid of different adapter/cable combos. When it would get in this state, I'd leave it plugged in on a 850 mA adapter and two hours later it would have discharged 10-15%. At one point it discharged all the way, and even plugging it in with it off from a battery pull wouldn't charge anymore.

A factory reset fixed it for the time being and it's only done it once more in the 3 weeks since then, so I just dropped the TEP again. If it's a known and acknowledged issue with the port, they ought to repair it free of charge, unless they're saying I'd still need to go to Samsung for that. In that case I'll try and add TEP back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I had the shortest, easiest chat ever to get an Airave sent out earlier today. Given how much I've seen people in here complain (and how bad Sprint CS usually is) about the process recently, it caught me off-guard.

Jliznel
May 25, 2014

SpelledBackwards posted:

I have an S4. The problem was really weird, where the phone would occasionally refuse tocharge faster than it drained on lid of different adapter/cable combos. When it would get in this state, I'd leave it plugged in on a 850 mA adapter and two hours later it would have discharged 10-15%. At one point it discharged all the way, and even plugging it in with it off from a battery pull wouldn't charge anymore.

A factory reset fixed it for the time being and it's only done it once more in the 3 weeks since then, so I just dropped the TEP again. If it's a known and acknowledged issue with the port, they ought to repair it free of charge, unless they're saying I'd still need to go to Samsung for that. In that case I'll try and add TEP back on.

yeah sprint would charge without the tep (75 dollar fee) with tep its free. make sure the charger you are using is a 2 amp output charger if its less then that it will cause that exact issue. If it is a 2 amp output charger and the factory reset didnt fix it i would either a. try a different charger and see if it continues or b have them swap out the port.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...
Question for the thread: almost all of the towers in my home area have been upgraded to 4G , and I commute from Central NJ into NYC (Spark market) for work. I mainly use my phone in the car for streaming radio stations, but my iPhone 5 sucks outside of NYC for that here in NJ. I'd like to upgrade to a Spark device to try and not use my AT&T hotspot as much since I blow thru my 5 gigs every month - as well as not drop as many calls here at home.

I'm leaning towards buying a Nexus 5 unless anyone has a better suggestion - my main desires in a phone are great RF performance and decent enough audio since the phone is my main music player. Also leaning towards the N5 since I can just pop a AT&T sim in the device if my service doesn't get any better.

Jliznel
May 25, 2014

bigtom posted:

Question for the thread: almost all of the towers in my home area have been upgraded to 4G , and I commute from Central NJ into NYC (Spark market) for work. I mainly use my phone in the car for streaming radio stations, but my iPhone 5 sucks outside of NYC for that here in NJ. I'd like to upgrade to a Spark device to try and not use my AT&T hotspot as much since I blow thru my 5 gigs every month - as well as not drop as many calls here at home.

I'm leaning towards buying a Nexus 5 unless anyone has a better suggestion - my main desires in a phone are great RF performance and decent enough audio since the phone is my main music player. Also leaning towards the N5 since I can just pop a AT&T sim in the device if my service doesn't get any better.

if your leaning toward the nexus 5 also look at the g2 and the g3 is coming out in the next month or so. All are similar and made by lg g2 has a stronger processor. But in all honesty I dont think you will go wrong with any of them.( I work in a central jersey sprint store ;) )

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Jliznel posted:

yeah sprint would charge without the tep (75 dollar fee) with tep its free. make sure the charger you are using is a 2 amp output charger if its less then that it will cause that exact issue. If it is a 2 amp output charger and the factory reset didnt fix it i would either a. try a different charger and see if it continues or b have them swap out the port.

I appreciate the advice. It doesn't happen most of the time, just on occasion with my charges that are 0.8-1.2 A. Since PCs only give up to 0.5 A, it's weird that they almost always work fine too. Either way, I noticed it's never a problem with the 2 A Samsung charger that came with the phone AND of course they charge much faster, so I ordered a few more of them 2 weeks back and am waiting for them to arrive.

Jliznel
May 25, 2014

SpelledBackwards posted:

I appreciate the advice. It doesn't happen most of the time, just on occasion with my charges that are 0.8-1.2 A. Since PCs only give up to 0.5 A, it's weird that they almost always work fine too. Either way, I noticed it's never a problem with the 2 A Samsung charger that came with the phone AND of course they charge much faster, so I ordered a few more of them 2 weeks back and am waiting for them to arrive.

yeah the 2A chargers you shouldnt see that issue again :-)

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...

Jliznel posted:

if your leaning toward the nexus 5 also look at the g2 and the g3 is coming out in the next month or so. All are similar and made by lg g2 has a stronger processor. But in all honesty I dont think you will go wrong with any of them.( I work in a central jersey sprint store ;) )

Thanks for the help! What store do you work at? I need to get a SIM and I'd like to activate the phone in store if possible when I get it.

Jliznel
May 25, 2014

bigtom posted:

Thanks for the help! What store do you work at? I need to get a SIM and I'd like to activate the phone in store if possible when I get it.

Bricktown the one across the street from best buy

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I became eligible for upgrade on my SERO plan today - I want to get a Galaxy S5, does Sprint.com/telesales have summer sales ever?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Medullah posted:

I became eligible for upgrade on my SERO plan today - I want to get a Galaxy S5, does Sprint.com/telesales have summer sales ever?

Ditto, wondering this too.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
2 weeks after updating my Note 2, it's become a laggy pile of crap 75% of the time... thanks Sprint/Samsung!

Jliznel
May 25, 2014

Krime posted:

2 weeks after updating my Note 2, it's become a laggy pile of crap 75% of the time... thanks Sprint/Samsung!

make sure sprint connection optimizer is turned off, that will save battery and speed up your device. You may want to also perform a Full reset on the device because some of your apps may still be optimized to the software before the update causing the lag. So by resetting and re-downloading you ensure you have the correct versions now so they Don't effect the performance of your device.

Jliznel
May 25, 2014

Medullah posted:

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Ditto, wondering this too.

Sometimes they do. Its more something you have to keep watch for on the website. Online tends to be the area the sales actually happen.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Jliznel posted:

make sure sprint connection optimizer is turned off, that will save battery and speed up your device. You may want to also perform a Full reset on the device because some of your apps may still be optimized to the software before the update causing the lag. So by resetting and re-downloading you ensure you have the correct versions now so they Don't effect the performance of your device.

I want to stab whoever made that connection optimizer in the eye with a rusty spork.

When I forgot to disable it, I would drive down the interstate and every single network that was either unprotected or had a saved SSID (restaurant wifi) it'd ask if I wanted to connect. Which was very useful for the 3 seconds I was in range of the wifi connection.

Jliznel
May 25, 2014

uapyro posted:

I want to stab whoever made that connection optimizer in the eye with a rusty spork.

When I forgot to disable it, I would drive down the interstate and every single network that was either unprotected or had a saved SSID (restaurant wifi) it'd ask if I wanted to connect. Which was very useful for the 3 seconds I was in range of the wifi connection.

Yeah its a gigantic waste of battery I don't understand why they forced it out.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

Jliznel posted:

Yeah its a gigantic waste of battery I don't understand why they forced it out.
Sprint's network sucks in a lot of places?

Jliznel
May 25, 2014

Allaniis posted:

Sprint's network sucks in a lot of places?

The application has no effect on your network performance. It plays with your wifi and bluetooth turning it on and off, trying to assume you want to use those connections. For no other reason then just because you came in contact with that particular network/connection. Has no effect on being able to make calls or not. (unless it kills your battery then it did effect your ability to make calls)

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Jliznel posted:

Thanks... getting rid of the Connection optimizer first... see if that does the trick.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Jliznel posted:

The application has no effect on your network performance. It plays with your wifi and bluetooth turning it on and off, trying to assume you want to use those connections. For no other reason then just because you came in contact with that particular network/connection. Has no effect on being able to make calls or not. (unless it kills your battery then it did effect your ability to make calls)
The idea is to offload data-hungry phones from 3G/LTE to WiFi at any time possible, to alleviate congestion on the Sprint network.

Jliznel
May 25, 2014

td4guy posted:

The idea is to offload data-hungry phones from 3G/LTE to WiFi at any time possible, to alleviate congestion on the Sprint network.

Yea I know that, But being on the front line in the store and being a repair tech for sprint, I've only seen it cause more issues with service and battery life. On some device its that program will go as far as to even turn your 4g on and off by itself Some lg and Cheaper samsung device when switching from 3g to 4g/lte it disconnects from the network as a whole before it switches. So if your on a call you will drop that call, If your not in a area where 4g is available now you have an antenna searching for service its never going to find, as if you are roaming which will drain your battery in about 3 to 4 hours. You are right though, it is there to help and to alleviate network congestion and its a great idea. In a perfect world where everywhere has 4g and free unlocked wifi that thing would be a god send.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I'm shopping for phone plans and I'm curious about Sprint. I live in NYC (Queens) and I'm wondering if it's possible to get a non-unlimited plan for smart phones. I rarely make calls, so something that has limited minutes would be great if it meant a smaller bill. I don't use data too often (most places I go have wifi), but I do send/receive a lot of emails. I did some kind of test to see how much data I should get, and it suggested 2GB (I would go with 3GB just in case).

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Dirty Job posted:

I'm shopping for phone plans and I'm curious about Sprint. I live in NYC (Queens) and I'm wondering if it's possible to get a non-unlimited plan for smart phones. I rarely make calls, so something that has limited minutes would be great if it meant a smaller bill. I don't use data too often (most places I go have wifi), but I do send/receive a lot of emails. I did some kind of test to see how much data I should get, and it suggested 2GB (I would go with 3GB just in case).

If you can get on a framily plan (group plan where everyone can have separate bills), the base rate for each line starts at $55, and goes down by $5 for each person on the plan, down to $25 if you get 7-10 people together. The base rate includes 1GB of data, or you can change it to 3GB for an additional $10, or unlimited for $20.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I just bought a Sprint Galaxy Note 3 off Swappa... Problem is when I tried to activate it, it won't activate and says there's no SIM card. Sure enough, I pop open the battery compartment and the SIM card is missing.

I have never used a phone with a SIM card before, I didn't even think CDMA phones used them. I contacted the seller but haven't heard back yet. What am I supposed to do? Do I need to get a new SIM card from sprint?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Do I need to get a new SIM card from sprint?
Yes.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

I'm switching from a G Flex to the Note 3. I discovered you can use your old SIM card so I tried to do that but the website now won't let me transfer the SIM card.

Also I'm on SWAC and they don't make it easy to find a way to contact Sprint, so I guess I'll just shoot them an email and see what they want me to do. What a pain in the rear end.

Jliznel
May 25, 2014

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I just bought a Sprint Galaxy Note 3 off Swappa... Problem is when I tried to activate it, it won't activate and says there's no SIM card. Sure enough, I pop open the battery compartment and the SIM card is missing.

I have never used a phone with a SIM card before, I didn't even think CDMA phones used them. I contacted the seller but haven't heard back yet. What am I supposed to do? Do I need to get a new SIM card from sprint?

you can go to any sprint corporate repair center and they will give you a sim for free or use yoru old one the hard part is the swac account you should be able to call employee care and have them attach it so you wouldnt need to email them

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Is there any way to know how long a particular model of warranty replacement phone tends to be on backorder? A portion of the touchscreen on my G2 has stopped working, and I was told a replacement was on backorder (or I could get a Galaxy Mega!!!!!!!).

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

They're probably on backorder because they all screw up like that and everyone's replacing theirs. I have a buddy on VZW who went through four or five G2s that all had screen problems before he finally gave up and exchanged for a Samsung instead.

Maybe get an SGS4?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Jliznel posted:

Just wanted to say thanks again for the factory reset advice.

My phone actually works as intended. I should have done it after my first update instead of fighting home button presses that did nothing and terrible lag.

:):hf::)

Jliznel
May 25, 2014

Grumpwagon posted:

Is there any way to know how long a particular model of warranty replacement phone tends to be on backorder? A portion of the touchscreen on my G2 has stopped working, and I was told a replacement was on backorder (or I could get a Galaxy Mega!!!!!!!).

back orders generally last about 5 days sometimes longer. Its all depending on shipments from the manufacturer on how quick back orders end. But MOST orders are cleared out within 5-7 business days

Jliznel
May 25, 2014

Krime posted:

Just wanted to say thanks again for the factory reset advice.

My phone actually works as intended. I should have done it after my first update instead of fighting home button presses that did nothing and terrible lag.

:):hf::)

Anytime man, you'll find that a hard reset will fix 70% of issues you'll have with your phone

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Grumpwagon posted:

If they're on back order they can give you a brand new one and not take a exchange list hit. I'd ask them to do that. They can still order you a refurb when it's on back order but like he said, usually 5-10 day wait.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Anyone know the going rate for SERO plans anymore? Fiance moved to Verizon, so we're gonna offload this SERO plan we'll never use again.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Biodome posted:

If they're on back order they can give you a brand new one and not take a exchange list hit. I'd ask them to do that. They can still order you a refurb when it's on back order but like he said, usually 5-10 day wait.

Not sure if this matters, but it's not a corporate store (all our area repair centers are non-corporate stores). Should I try there or go to a corporate (but non-repair center) store?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

EbolaIvory posted:

Anyone know the going rate for SERO plans anymore? Fiance moved to Verizon, so we're gonna offload this SERO plan we'll never use again.

I think I read in the thread earlier that they made it near impossible to transfer SERO nowadays? I haven't seen them for sale in quite a while.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

EbolaIvory posted:

Yeah, not sure if you can transfer that lab or not. Only way to know would be to try.

Personally, probably not worth the effort.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Grumpwagon posted:

Not sure if this matters, but it's not a corporate store (all our area repair centers are non-corporate stores). Should I try there or go to a corporate (but non-repair center) store?

Oh, yeah. I don't know about 3rd parties. The corporate store will refer you to a corporate service and repair store probably. Maybe customer care can cross ship you one.

Jliznel
May 25, 2014

Biodome posted:

at a service and repair store they CANNOT by any means give you a new one for a repair, If you ask they will say no. They have a different inventory then the new, and the 2 cannot be mixed for any reason. If they are giving you a new device it will be via the same channels the order went through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jliznel
May 25, 2014

EbolaIvory posted:

they dont give out sero plans anymore they use wireless advantage plans or SWAC