Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Holy poo poo. As a brazilian, this blows my mind. Same-sex marriage is a widespread thing in Brazil, and there's actually a disturbing undercurrent of religious/reactionary bile and even violence against it. And as others said, suddenly Germany is a strong, rising world power instead of a decrepit socilaist nightmare.

Had the game gone the other way, the headline would be "Brazil, the world's largest catholic nation, crushes secular, feeble european comunists"

The lengths they go to cast everything into a black/white mold it staggering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sephyr posted:

Holy poo poo. As a brazilian, this blows my mind. Same-sex marriage is a widespread thing in Brazil, and there's actually a disturbing undercurrent of religious/reactionary bile and even violence against it. And as others said, suddenly Germany is a strong, rising world power instead of a decrepit socilaist nightmare.

Had the game gone the other way, the headline would be "Brazil, the world's largest catholic nation, crushes secular, feeble european comunists"

The lengths they go to cast everything into a black/white mold it staggering.

What I'm kind of wondering is why there is so much emphasis on the outcome of a soccer game and what it means. Germany beating Brazil doesn't mean much more than "Germany managed to put together a better soccer team." There really isn't much you can read into it.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
For some reason Conservapedia tries to frame sports games such that the winning team is always from a more conservative area, when they could just as easily say 'FIFA homofascists fixed the game to let atheist Germany win over the Catholic bastion of Argentina', or something like that.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

What's weird is that Brazil is way more religious than Germany, too. It's kind of funny how that works. I bet Conservapedia decries the declining religiosity of the US on a regular basis, but it seems to me that God doesn't really give a poo poo about people being of faith so long as they keep those gays in their place.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

letthereberock posted:

And wait a second - "growing in strength"? I thought Germany was one of these countries being slowly ground down by Islamo-facism. I just can't keep up anymore.

Conservapedia posted:

Doublethink in George Orwell's dystopian novel 1984 is the practice of keeping two contradictory thoughts in one's own mind.
In formal logic, it is considered disproof of a premise if that premise implies two contradictory statements (see Reductio Ad Absurdum). So in Orwell's nightmare political vision, citizens participate actively in their own indoctrination, willingly accepting false government propaganda. Indeed, the main character of 1984 is a man whose job is to falsify historical documents in the government archives.

Examples of Liberal Doublethink Today
Calls to surrender our liberties to the nanny state so that it can defend our freedoms.
Moving effortlessly back and forth between praising the wisdom of the people and saying that America is a republic, not a democracy, in accordance with whether the majority agrees with any given liberal principle or not.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Every time I think their heads can't go any further up their asses you find something that proves me wrong.

Taking bets on how long until the :ironicat: reaches critical mass and kills us all.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Doesn't Conservapedia listen to Ann Coulter? Liking or caring about soccer at all is just plain un-American!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

ToxicSlurpee posted:

What I'm kind of wondering is why there is so much emphasis on the outcome of a soccer game and what it means. Germany beating Brazil doesn't mean much more than "Germany managed to put together a better soccer team." There really isn't much you can read into it.

Conservapedia thinks that God will bless nations that are following his laws and curse nations who aren't. This is why things like the Olympics and how many medals each country gets, as well as who's winning the World Cup and even which states are winning US sports events becomes Conservapedia propaganda. Because if God is blessing nations that follow his laws, then it stands to reason their sports teams are better than the sports teams from cursed nations, who God will punish by having their team lose.

This also ties in to "Atheists are fat and lazy" so therefore athletes from "bad" countries are worse than athletes from "good" countries which is part of the reason why sports events turn out the way they do. So when they say "Brazil has same-sex marriage and they lost, Germany doesn't and they won" this is "proof" that God is approving of Germany's not allowing gays to marry and shaking his finger at Brazil. And as someone said before, if Brazil had won and Germany had lost, then Conservapedia would spin it another way, probably based on numbers of religious people in those countries or something. The point is they have to find a way the winning team is "good" and the losing team is "bad" because they think it proves their theology.

And if the unthinkable happened and Conservapedia absolutely could not find a way to portray the winners as good or the losers as evil, then they would either default to "God is testing the righteous and setting the winners up so that their inevitable defeat will be that much more crushing," or probably find one single player on the team that won that believes in God and say "Despite his country's atheism, the reason this team won is because God was blessing this one man and rewarding him for his faith."

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Binowru posted:

Doesn't Conservapedia listen to Ann Coulter? Liking or caring about soccer at all is just plain un-American!

This.
I'm surprised they even acknowledge that soccer is a real sport.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Remember, there is NO issues they won't turn on a dime if required. Bowe Bergdahl and the rights massive Putin-love have proved that beyond any doubt.

Conservapedia and Freep would be for wealth expropriation and gulags if only liberals and 'undesirables' were targeted, and would not blink between the mental gear-shifting required.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...

Jack Gladney posted:

I'm afraid to ask, but what's wrong with Bradbury?

Maybe nothing, I think I've confused him with another author, sorry. Though Bradbury could be pretty prickly. Also if you like Jack Williamson might want to skip Moon Children, god the 70's were skeevy.

EDIT: Time travellers would do best to avoid bringing up television with Bradbury. Admittedly being a snob isn't nearly as bad as sexual harassment.

Mind Loving Owl fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 10, 2014

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Maybe nothing, I think I've confused him with another author, sorry. Though Bradbury could be pretty prickly. Also if you like Jack Williamson might want to skip Moon Children, god the 70's were skeevy.

EDIT: Time travellers would do best to avoid bringing up television with Bradbury. Admittedly being a snob isn't nearly as bad as sexual harassment.

Were you maybe thinking of Piers Anthony?

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

razorrozar posted:

Were you maybe thinking of Piers Anthony?

That's it! I'd say gently caress that guy but that's clearly what he wants, so celibate that guy!

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
Bradbury was one of the "political correctness" whiners.

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

I love how the mocking Conservapedia thread has turned into pages upon pages of interrogating dead people for possibly deviating from absolutely Correct ideology. Ray Bradbury, one of the most widely read liberal voices in the history of human communication, is now unacceptable because he "whined about political correctness" according to some guy. The irony, it's you!

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

meat sweats posted:

I love how the mocking Conservapedia thread has turned into pages upon pages of interrogating dead people for possibly deviating from absolutely Correct ideology. Ray Bradbury, one of the most widely read liberal voices in the history of human communication, is now unacceptable because he "whined about political correctness" according to some guy. The irony, it's you!

Bradbury was initially a mistake on that guy's part, Piers Anthony is legit a creepy POS, and the fact that Asimov harassed people doesn't much diminish that he was a tireless worker for the common good IMO. One post is hardly pages and pages.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

meat sweats posted:

This coming from the guy arguing that all public sector workers deserve no labour representation and should have collective bargaining banned because cops.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

razorrozar posted:

...and the fact that Asimov harassed people doesn't much diminish that he was a tireless worker for the common good IMO.

drat it BioShock 2 every time I see the phrase 'common good' now I hear it said by the lady who played Agatha Christie on Doctor Who. And now I can't help but imagine Asimov as that big squid monster near the end of the game.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Who, despite being in constant agony and completely insane, it is the karmically good thing to leave alive.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mind Loving Owl posted:

drat it BioShock 2 every time I see the phrase 'common good' now I hear it said by the lady who played Agatha Christie on Doctor Who.

No, the actual common good. :v:

Fulchrum posted:

Who, despite being in constant agony and completely insane, it is the karmically good thing to leave alive.

I'm convinced that was an oversight. Unless what's his name, Kevin something from Irrational/2K, has actually said he's anti-euthanasia?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Fulchrum posted:

Didn't that thing want to die? I think I remember giving it whatever it was that it wanted.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

meat sweats posted:

Nobody said he was unacceptable. Ignoring the truth because it makes you uncomfortable and low tolerance for ambiguity are also familiar traits in our reading around here.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jack Gladney posted:

Nobody said he was unacceptable. Ignoring the truth because it makes you uncomfortable and low tolerance for ambiguity are also familiar traits in our reading around here.

There's also the fact that, if Asimov had been a staunch right-winger who broke lockstep over one tiny thing, they'd have disowned him forever.

As a contrast:

Vahakyla posted:

It is not condoning the actions to understand that we can and should respect certain people for their good deeds, since there are exactly zero people here that could be combed thoroughly and nothing bad would come up.

People do lovely things. They might still be decent people.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

razorrozar posted:

There's also the fact that, if Asimov had been a staunch right-winger who broke lockstep over one tiny thing, they'd have disowned him forever.

http://www.conservapedia.com/index.php?title=Isaac_Asimov&oldid=37015 (the original version of their Asimov article; to be fair, it's since been significantly expanded) posted:

Isaac Asimov was a Jewish atheist who was born in Russia. He was a science fiction writer who wrote several stories mocking religion, such as "Reason" and "Bridle and Saddle". He also wrote an atheistic book on the Bible and one on the Book of Ruth, as well as biased book on the Holy Land called The Land of Canaan. He died of AIDS.

I'm pretty sure that this was by a troll. But I'm not certain.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Surprised there's no mention of Flies, which is all about Old Testament style fear of one's deity.

Fulchrum posted:

I think the idea was that Alex the Great was essentially at that point essentially a different entity than Alexander Gilbert and so the latter's desires had no bearing on the former. This is of course stupid since Alex the Great is a murdering monster who if left alive escapes into the ocean to do God knows what.

I imagine we're all a bit sick and tired of BioShock Infinite allusions here but I really would like to see a man who no longer believes in many engineering precepts build a flying city.

EDIT: Upon looking it up I just realised that if you spare Alex the statue for him in the Karma According to Ken Levine section is Delta pulling a man out of a monster. Despite Alex the Great being changed not at all by his encounter with you.

Mind Loving Owl fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 10, 2014

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Surprised there's no mention of Flies, which is all about Old Testament style fear of one's deity.

Now that I think of it even a story as innocuous as Bicentennial Man is probably anathema. It's all about a minority (the robot Andrew Martin) getting rights.

I wonder what Conservapedia would make of Andrew Martin if the situation arose in real life.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Hell I Robot would piss them off, one of the main characters is a career woman.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

quote:

This is pathetic: the same-sex marriage nations of Argentina and Netherlands are unable to score a goal in 90 minutes, tying at 0-0 before Argentina then won on penalty kicks.

Um, isn't 0-0 a common thing in soccer and wouldn't this be a sign of good defense? Wait aren't they drat far in the tournament? Is this one of those things where Conservapedia claims that the 2nd place is weak overratted liberal pansies compared to the conservative belly dance

Oh gently caress it let's go to the exciting thing: :derp: OBAMA ALIEN INVASION :derp:

quote:

The evidence is conclusive: Barack Hussein Obama deliberately set up an illegal alien invasion of America. [4]

OBAMA SEX SLAVE ALIEN INVASION

quote:

The Obama administration uses a Clinton-era law, the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act of 2000. By that law, the Border Patrol may not deport any person, especially any minor traveling alone, who says he comes from a country other than Mexico. [...] Sometimes certain nefarious adults will bring minors in as sexual slaves. This law protects them, so they will give evidence against their kidnappers.

but wait it's really an ORGANIZED EFFORT TO SUBVERT THAT LAW?!?

quote:

Those at the Central America end, give them scripts to recite so they can invoke the VTVPA (see above). They also tell them how to get Food Stamps. [...] They tell the aliens how to register to vote.

:derp:OBAMA BIOLOGICAL ALIEN WARFARE INVASION:derp:

quote:

They now face the introduction, or re-introduction, of such unwelcome visitors as:

Mycobacterium tuberculosis
[several other diseases]

quote:

What would Obama gain from a biological warfare attack against his own country? Making the people cry out to the government to save them. An excuse to expand greatly the power of the Centers for Disease Control. And more broadly, to justify taking full government control of all hospitals “to better deploy resources.”

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Mind Loving Owl posted:

*BioShock 2's questionable morality*

I also rationalized sparing Alex as Good via him being a fundamentally different person than Alex Gilbert. The one I had more trouble coping with was sparing the guy who kidnapped you and Eleanor, a loving child, to sell to an evil company to be experimented on and made into horrible abominations, with you getting lobotomized on top of it. Then when he was about to be caught by Eleanor's mother he escaped by flooding an entire sector of the city, killing at least a few hundred people. Sorry, but I don't think you can just forgive that poo poo. At least he's a normal, unspliced human who will likely be eviscerated by the first splicer he sees.

Okay, BioShock talk over.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Um, isn't 0-0 a common thing in soccer and wouldn't this be a sign of good defense? Wait aren't they drat far in the tournament? Is this one of those things where Conservapedia claims that the 2nd place is weak overratted liberal pansies compared to the conservative belly dance

Oh gently caress it let's go to the exciting thing: :derp: OBAMA ALIEN INVASION :derp:

OBAMA SEX SLAVE ALIEN INVASION

but wait it's really an ORGANIZED EFFORT TO SUBVERT THAT LAW?!?

:derp:OBAMA BIOLOGICAL ALIEN WARFARE INVASION:derp:

OFS, you seem to be the primary source for CP quotes and stuff. Do you remember where the "*Fact" thing started? I've forgotten and it's bugging the poo poo out of me.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

razorrozar posted:

OFS, you seem to be the primary source for CP quotes and stuff. Do you remember where the "*Fact" thing started? I've forgotten and it's bugging the poo poo out of me.

Lord no that was a thing before my time. I just quote the In The News section because it's a constantly updating source of nonsense and conspiracy.

quote:

Christian winners vs. atheist losers. Who is going to win? [8]

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Why haven't the Cowboys been doing well if God bases winners on who is most holy?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

razorrozar posted:

I think it was from the Conservapedia Parables page. Citation: "this really happened".

http://www.conservapedia.com/Fact posted:

There is some evidence that human psychology is such that facts often do not drive beliefs as much as beliefs drive one's willingness to listen to certain facts.[2]

For example, it is an opinion that the homosexual agenda is not harmful, while it is a fact that the average gay man has a life expectancy far less than that of a straight man.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Parahexavoctal posted:

I think it was from the Conservapedia Parables page. Citation: "this really happened".

Speaking of conservative parables, I still don't understand how this is a conservative parable.

Conservapedia on the Fosbury Flop posted:

The Flop

A skinny young man having limited athletic ability had a determination to do his very best and win. He picked the high jump event, but could only clear about 5' 3", nowhere near what was needed to win any competitions. But he worked tirelessly, trying all known techniques for jumping over a bar. Still, he could not improve to the point where he could win.

Yet he did not give up, and harnessed his competitive spirit to invent a revolutionary style of jumping back-first over the bar. Though lacking the athletic gifts of his competitors, the young man improved his jumping ability by a foot and more. He began to win.

His peculiar style attracted mockery and name-calling, as people derided his technique as the "flop". But that did not faze him, and he continued to jump in the direction opposite to all his competitors. Despite winning the national college high jump event, experts still considered his success to be a fluke and his approach to be a joke.

When it came time for the Olympics, no one considered the young man to have a chance, and his more athletic competitors were favorites to win the high jump event. The whole world was riveted to the television screen as the young man flawlessly cleared every height as the bar was raised again and again. When the bar was finally raised to an Olympic record height of 7' 4 1/4", only the young man and his "flop" were able to jump over it. He had won the gold medal.

Virtually immediately everyone else, including those who had mercilessly mocked him, began praising and imitating his style. To this day it is known as the "Fosbury Flop."[3]

Embracing radical change - the most conservative value.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Not My Leg posted:

Speaking of conservative parables, I still don't understand how this is a conservative parable.

He won. He won and he was white. He won, and he was white, and they are unaware that he is running for office as a democrat.

http://idahodems.org/news/idaho-olympian-dick-fosbury-races/

modig fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 10, 2014

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Not My Leg posted:

He worked hard and got rewarded, liberals don't work hard. I listen to conservative radio a lot. Yesterday on Michael Medved a teacher called on and was confused why the kids he taught were liberals when they were obviously inherently conservatives. His explanation for what he meant by this was that kids understand that if you work hard you get rewarded and if you slack off you don't.

People who live in the conservative echo chamber think that liberals are lazy do nothings who want someone else to do things for them. They cannot understand that when liberals push for welfare, it's not because that liberal wants the welfare for their self. They really think that hard work is a conservative idea.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

StealthArcher posted:

This coming from the guy arguing that all public sector workers deserve no labour representation and should have collective bargaining banned because cops.

Eh it is common here for people to shun the abuse of public workers, yet extend zero courtesy to cops who should always be fired right away, pensions stripped, vacations cut and all that with no trials and investigations.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Vahakyla posted:

Eh it is common here for people to shun the abuse of public workers, yet extend zero courtesy to cops who should always be fired right away, pensions stripped, vacations cut and all that with no trials and investigations.

Why, it's almost as if those who are armed and authorized to employ deadly force in the service of public safety are held to a higher moral standard than, say, trash collectors!

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Parahexavoctal posted:

I seem to remember it having something to do with the biblical flood.

"this actually happened" is the phrase that sticks in my mind.

e. Rational Wiki has it in "The Desperate Smoker - Possible Moral" page. http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Conservapedia:Conservative_parables
Seems to be gone now though.

CATTASTIC fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Vahakyla posted:

That guy thinks public unions are undemocratic.

• Locked thread