Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

I've taken to using a traincar as a huge chest:

This is a very first implementation and it works fantastically (also this is pretty early-game and I'm pretty much just loving around so the base is more of a mess than usual). I can't wait to figure out more uses for it.

In theory, in late games you could just completely supercharge the assemblers and the inserters would have such a huge multiplied throughput that :circlefap:

Holy poo poo, I can't believe I haven't ever thought of that. I now have several ideas on how to do it, using it as a midterm storage as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
What's the benefit of that, for those of us who aren't that experienced?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
All the wire makers are feeding into the same chest, and all the circuit makes are taking from the same chest. In that case it's a really great way to balance the output. The recepie for circuits means that you basically need 3 factories making wire to feed 2 factories making the chips, and it's hard to balance that with normal chests. If they all go into the same pool it becomes much more efficient.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
In the later patches, you can set reserved slots in the traincar, which might be handy for unloading goods into the traincar (say, chips put in the car for export). The possibilities!

You could feed chips and gears into it to feed repairpack/miner/assembler factories, or just gears to streamline belts. Probably a lot more too. Edit: smart inserters, the whole line up to them

It also helps prevent bus-starving, when a line is too long and late-production things get starved for supplies.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 8, 2014

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Now replace your belts by arming stuff into one end of a train car and then out of the other :getin:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

LordSaturn posted:

Now replace your belts by arming stuff into one end of a train car and then out of the other :getin:

Holy poo poo

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
I'm actually considering replacing my train unload belts with a really long secondary train as a belt - just how many cars can one engine pull? :v:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I just thought, the long train wouldn't improve throughput at all would it?

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

thehustler posted:

I just thought, the long train wouldn't improve throughput at all would it?

The train needs to be long enough to basically be a closed loop. The "belt" train is loaded from your transport train, and on the far side it is unloaded at your depot - which would have it's own train cars as the loading interface. Would require a metric crapton of train stops, since you need to be able to have the belt train move one cargo car length at a time, though.

Hmm. Possibly reconfiguring the train stations to have integral buffer would be good.
[transport train]
vvvvvvvvvv - inserter row
[buffer car]
vvvvvvvvvvv - inserter row
[][][][][][] - smart chest row
vvvvvvvvvvv - inserter row
[belt train]

Positioning the buffer cargo car correctly would let you unload from multiple transport cars. Hell, if you do it right, you could have the buffer cars positioned to serve as splitters for balancing the offload, meaning you won't end up with some of your transport cars full while the buffer is not full.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

I've taken to using a traincar as a huge chest:

This is a very first implementation and it works fantastically (also this is pretty early-game and I'm pretty much just loving around so the base is more of a mess than usual). I can't wait to figure out more uses for it.

In theory, in late games you could just completely supercharge the assemblers and the inserters would have such a huge multiplied throughput that :circlefap:

Holy poo poo. Mind. Blown. :psyboom:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I'd nothing else this would greatly simplify your ability to set up assemblers with four recipe components.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

For anyone interested, here's what you make when you go through the missions straight and then start up a sandbox game and get to the end game without reading a single hint about how you're supposed to build anything.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Oh man, having roughly a million Destroyer bots and Power Armor Mk2 with a bunch of those exoskeletons just feels wrong.

I've just been running into the center of biter camps and just waiting the half second it takes for everything to die.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It's neat to see the various stages people go through when playing this game. You can tell who just started to the guys that have a good grasp of the basics to the fellows who have a map of how their factory is going to look the moment they step foot down on the ground. As people get more experienced the more decentralized everything gets.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Sage Grimm posted:

As people get more experienced the more decentralized everything gets.

This is not true - as I've gotten more experience, I've ended up with more centralization rather than less, though with much more attention paid to maximizing bandwidth and available depot space. Centralizing your production and storage is way more efficient than ending up with little "just in time" manufacturing islands.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Hello. This looks great, but I have a few questions I'd like answered before jumping in. In no particular order:

- How active is the development? FAQ says new build every couple months, is that accurate? That seems awfully long, but I'm not all that used to alphas.
- Does it look like the company will go down in flames before the game's finished? Do they listen too much to the community? (think Endless Space)
- At first glance combat seems quite out of place. How is it, really? I suppose it could be used to slow down the player's expansion if attacks are frequent enough, but in that case wouldn't going on the offensive and eradicating the enemy be the optimal choice, every time? Can you even build and control units or would you have to do it solo, Rambo-style? I just don't see how that meshes with the rest of the game.

Thanks for your time.

turbo edit: why the hell isn't this on Steam? Yeah, I've read the OP and the game's FAQ; question still stands :colbert:

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

seravid posted:

Hello. This looks great, but I have a few questions I'd like answered before jumping in. In no particular order:

- How active is the development? FAQ says new build every couple months, is that accurate? That seems awfully long, but I'm not all that used to alphas.
- Does it look like the company will go down in flames before the game's finished? Do they listen too much to the community? (think Endless Space)
- At first glance combat seems quite out of place. How is it, really? I suppose it could be used to slow down the player's expansion if attacks are frequent enough, but in that case wouldn't going on the offensive and eradicating the enemy be the optimal choice, every time? Can you even build and control units or would you have to do it solo, Rambo-style? I just don't see how that meshes with the rest of the game.

Thanks for your time.

turbo edit: why the hell isn't this on Steam? Yeah, I've read the OP and the game's FAQ; question still stands :colbert:

Development is very active, there's been a few builds over the last few days. The game is already fantastic, so it honestly doesn't matter if the Dev burns out later. Also congratulations, you figured out the optional strat for dealing with biters. They exist to encroach on your junk and it's best to prune them away. Which makes them harder to deal with. Towers are the primary way to deal with them before you hit the end game.

And it's going to be on greenlight when it's closer to release.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
The concept of biters being eco-terrorists is pretty cool; it forces you to keep an eye on your pollution and compromise between fast expansion and sustainability. I actually used peaceful mode for my last game because I wanted to concentrate on making The Best Factory.

It kinda sucks though how the "normal" distribution of oil patches isn't really enough to do everything you want. As it is I depleted all the oil in a huge radius around my base and I still don't have enough for production to keep up, even with heavy and light oil cracking feeding the petroleum gas.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Colonel J posted:

It kinda sucks though how the "normal" distribution of oil patches isn't really enough to do everything you want. As it is I depleted all the oil in a huge radius around my base and I still don't have enough for production to keep up, even with heavy and light oil cracking feeding the petroleum gas.

Just how much plastic/sulfur are you producing? I've only got 35 wells and I'm able to more than keep my factory fed. . .

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Kenlon posted:

Just how much plastic/sulfur are you producing? I've only got 35 wells and I'm able to more than keep my factory fed. . .

I'm more like at 10 wells. There's really not a lot of oil around, I feel like world gen hosed me over a bit!

snooman
Aug 15, 2013

seravid posted:

Biters continue spreading and evolving over time, with pollution and destroying biter nests also playing a large part in the evolution factor. Wiping out a few nearby nests is easy enough until the biters evolve into medium and large variants, and depending on your play style you can wind up in a catch-22 where you need better technology to easily wipe out biter colonies, but the only way of achieving the technology is by wiping out biter colonies.

It's almost ironic that biters are so environmentally sensitive to your pollution yet breed uncontrollably.

e: They've been releasing new builds every week or two, excepting a nearly two month gap between 0.9.8 and 0.10.0. The devs seem to be making a push towards multiplayer so updates may get a little sparse over the summer, but the game is pretty polished for an alpha version (and reviews have been pointing this out for at least a year.)

snooman fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 9, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
When its just small biters, an SMG with pierce ammo (SMG+P) will eradicate them wholesale, and you can clean bases safely whenever you get a stack of ammo. And you should- with your first stacks of AP ammo clean everything in your cloud, and everything within view of your cloud.

When attacks start coming again, you'll likely have medium biters mixed in with the smalls. Even a very small number of mediums take a lot of SMG+P to take down, so you have to clean all offending nests by circling them with your car (you should have one by now), then you can slowly out-drive them and gun them down, or lead them to turrets. Again, clean your pollution cloud and anything in view of your cloud.

When attacks begin again, likely big biters have showed up, and they pretty much ignore the SMG period. Use laser turrets to defend, and to attack if needed, until you can mass-produce Destroyers. Lasers do a good job of killing Bigs, so you don't need to go on such a huge spree as in steps 1 and 2, just kill what you need and tank the rest.

Small worms die to SMG+P, all other worms need poison caps (3 medium/5 large)

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Guiding biters to your turrets is boring and should only be done before you get capsules rolling out regularly. That's typically between medium biters being common and big biters showing up. Once you've got capsules the combination of slowdown and poison will let you kite groups in a never ending circle inside the death cloud.

Slowdown also lets you some safety in gunning down the nests from the horde but you'd be better off getting Distractor tech and tossing one or two on each nest (after you clear out the worms, of course). If they're positioned correctly newly spawned biters will try and fail to path to them until the nest is destroyed. They sit like lemons and it makes clearing out the base much easier.

Then Destroyers are the :smug: way of clearing things out.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Alternately, there's literally a checkbox for "biters will leave me alone" and sliders for "biters don't spawn at all" so you can just build your factory in peace. It misses the point of the game in a lot of ways, but sometimes you just want to build a factory, y'know?

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

Again, clean your pollution cloud and anything in view of your cloud.

I think what I posted earlier about biter nests in range of *any* pollution roughly doubling the evolution rate were inaccurate; I was misinterpreting some numbers. I still fully endorse clearing out any nests in range of your pollution (if for no other reason than decreasing the number of attacks you need to deal with), but I feel I should retract what I said earlier.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
I think Factorio is the best game of the year that I've played. Getting about 4000/m copper wire consumption on this cluster gently caress setup.

http://i.imgur.com/AL8obEN.jpg

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Every second you spend fighting/repairing is a second not spent improving throughput! Better to go on killing sprees so you can be left alone for a few hours.

My current game is in a massive, endless, treeless desert so my cloud goes for miles and miles. As in, I can burn most of a solid fuel driving to the edge of it, and that's where biters are coming from. A massive, state-size circle. :byodood:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Any suggestions for maps that allow for maximum railway fuckery? With the standard settings, the patches are too small and get eaten up too quickly to really make worth building rail stations to them. I tried a game with huge deposits that are very rich, and they ended up being so rich that I didn't even exhaust all of them in my base before I got Rocket Defense.

So maybe fewer large patches but normal richness? So I can build a big railway station to collect resources, but I'll need to keep building them as time goes on to keep up with demand. As another thought, any suggestions on what to do once you've "won" the game? I just want something even bigger to build too.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

FISHMANPET posted:

Any suggestions for maps that allow for maximum railway fuckery? With the standard settings, the patches are too small and get eaten up too quickly to really make worth building rail stations to them. I tried a game with huge deposits that are very rich, and they ended up being so rich that I didn't even exhaust all of them in my base before I got Rocket Defense.

So maybe fewer large patches but normal richness? So I can build a big railway station to collect resources, but I'll need to keep building them as time goes on to keep up with demand. As another thought, any suggestions on what to do once you've "won" the game? I just want something even bigger to build too.

Maybe a map with large but infrequent deposits. Then go into the editor and make sure you have enough around your spawn to get started.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
I made a map and gave myself enough resources close enough to my base to last a while and deliberately placed huge patches of copper/iron/coal/fuel far enough for trains to be worth it.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Huge/normal or poor/very rare is ideal for trains

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Mitt Romney posted:

I think Factorio is the best game of the year that I've played. Getting about 4000/m copper wire consumption on this cluster gently caress setup.

Dear lord what a mess. I love it.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Mitt Romney posted:

It's glorious!

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
So, if I understand correctly, in this game you build factories and assembly lines, manage your power supply, optimize your I/O, build more factories, research new technologies to maximize your ungodly mega-complex's output and, from time to time, you get out there into the wilderness and kite a few bugs while whittling them down with an SMG :psyduck:

Welp, demo downloaded. Not that I need it, I'm sure I'll buy this game before the night's over.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

seravid posted:

So, if I understand correctly, in this game you build factories and assembly lines, manage your power supply, optimize your I/O, build more factories, research new technologies to maximize your ungodly mega-complex's output and, from time to time, you get out there into the wilderness and kite a few bugs while whittling them down with an SMG :psyduck:

Welp, demo downloaded. Not that I need it, I'm sure I'll buy this game before the night's over.

Sometimes you use a rocket launcher, or drones.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
And shotguns, and poison capsules.

Welcome.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

seravid posted:

Did you know you could set your factory to mass-produce grenades and then chuck them out of your moving car?

It's true!!

Sovy Kurosei
Oct 9, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

Did you know you could set your factory to mass-produce grenades and then chuck them out of your moving car?

It's true!!

Doing drive-bys with a rocket launcher is a glorious thing.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
More than once I've had to clear just one more nest before running out of ammo, I mean just one clip shy of killing it so I can go home and work. It's important to remember you can run the spawners down pretty easily, especially if they're already hurt (collision damage is a function of health of both parties)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010
I must be weird, but I love walking laser turrets into bases.