Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Bobo the Red posted:

Fred has been poo poo even when we won though. He deserves it.

He is poo poo, though, and this is a public fact. It's like booing a dwarf for being bad at basketball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Vegetable posted:

Don't get how people are ripping on Brazil's team. Their strikeforce sucks (though I have no idea how good their Brazil-based backups are) but their midfield and defense would walk into most top national teams. Even without Neymar and Silva they still have a solid spine. I'm of the impression Scolari just isn't setting them up very well.

hahahahahahahahahahha

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
Tristeza nao tem fim, felicidade sim

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

Brazil are extremely unlikely to make it past the semifinals anyway because thats when they run into France or Germany. Colombia play very passionately and Brazils defense have not been the best. Colombia vs Brazil will be all about posession since both focus on attacking football. This brings me to Brazils biggest problem:

Brazils midfield is also poo poo and could not handle Chile or even Mexico, this does not bode well for them against Colombia much less Germany.

Welp. I don't even know anymore. Scoring 4 goals in 6 minutes is just crazy.

Postorder Trollet89 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 9, 2014

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Volkerball posted:

Me too. If this game got played 100 times, that was probably the worst one out of all of them. Obviously Germany was the better team, but drat that is some lovely luck. Everything went wrong.

It was a gnat's fart away from being 8-0 at the end though.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
the brazilian newspapers should unite and have a blank front cover tomorrow

seriously... what's left to say?

e: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-neymars-injury-affects-brazils-chances-at-the-world-cup/

Advanced stats, what?

url fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 9, 2014

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Povertinho died for our sins

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

They just lettin Weird Al go wherever he wants or what?

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the-most-shocking-result-in-world-cup-history/

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

yawn

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Hey man check your PMs, some info about the TRP advanced stat subforum heading your way.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
So has Scolari resigned/been sacked yet?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
He said he's gonna stick around for 2018.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Mans posted:

i feel terrible for David Luiz. He's a classy lad

gently caress :smith:
That's a fallacy.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
The one positive I can say about Brazil's performance this World Cup is that I'm now firmly a David Luiz fanboy. Sure, he was worse than inept in defence yesterday, but his passing was spot on. Can't really remember the details but there was one point where he received the ball deep in his own half, charged forward about 20 yards then unleashed an absolutely perfect long ball that made me gush almost as much as his free kick against Colombia. He played another great long ball and a through ball in the match as well that got a bit lost in the slaughter.

Wasn't it Rafa who initially stuck him in midfield? Keep him there permanently, it was a brilliant idea. I know Laurent Blanc reads TRP, so go on, do the right thing.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
What colour are they going to change the kits too, Green or Blue?

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

El Hefe posted:

You didn't embarrass yourselves at home,

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

rip

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Some advanced stats for yall:

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
has anyone got a good collage of brazilian newspaper headlines from this morning

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

warcrimes posted:

hahahahahahahahahahha
Is there something you disagree with

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
So has Scolari come out and said anything yet?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

coffeetable posted:

has anyone got a good collage of brazilian newspaper headlines from this morning

Right here, not only from Brazil but also from all over the world. Part 2 is here.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

corn in the fridge posted:

So has Scolari come out and said anything yet?

Well, yesterday he said it was his fault but he didn't do anything wrong tactics-wise, more of a "don't blame the players blame me but it wasn't really my fault". Trying to fall on his sword and have it, basically.

But really, it's everyone's fault. Felipão made an atrocious tactical mistake yesterday and wasn't really doing much better before that. Our defense fell apart because one player wasn't there - and really, as good as Thiago Silva is, that should never happen if you have good players and decent coaching. Our midfielders were making technical mistakes and losing possession before they could even make it to Germany's side of the pitch. The strikers - on the rare occasion they got to touch the ball - decided diving was more worthwhile than keeping control and creating opportunities, or even just making a run for it.

Then, outside the pitch, you have sports journalists and misinformed people - synonyms down here, really - claiming that this squad was good and had depth. Media outlets hyping up David Luiz of all people and blaming bad performances on psychological issues instead of poo poo football. CBF being CBF doesn't even rate anymore. And last but not least, this idiotic "Joga Bonito" philosophy that created a generation of overhyped youngsters trying to pose as big stars before they have any hardware on their shelves. We all hosed up.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Some advanced stats for yall:

The bit about the semifinals is not true. Or at least it is misleading. For a long time the semifinals were played in a group format, so it wasn't a one game elimination, but Brazil lost to the Netherlands and finished second in their group in 1974, ending up in 4th, and finished behind Argentina without losing a game in 78 (the Peru game), which led to a 3rd place.

On other news, it is widely rumored that the next coach will be Tite (of Corinthians fame). Of course, with CBF, I doubt anything will change. There will still be spots set aside for players some agent wants to sell to Europe, and the team still will spend more time recording commercials than practicing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

joepinetree posted:

On other news, it is widely rumored that the next coach will be Tite (of Corinthians fame). Of course, with CBF, I doubt anything will change. There will still be spots set aside for players some agent wants to sell to Europe, and the team still will spend more time recording commercials than practicing.

This isn't unique to Brazil

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Jose posted:

This isn't unique to Brazil

I don't know where they got the data, but Brazilian media has been reporting that Brazil spent less time practicing than every other team (and they said it before yesterday). Which was also definitely true of the 2006 team.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

joepinetree posted:

I don't know where they got the data, but Brazilian media has been reporting that Brazil spent less time practicing than every other team (and they said it before yesterday). Which was also definitely true of the 2006 team.

They keep getting criticized for constantly praying too.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

joepinetree posted:

On other news, it is widely rumored that the next coach will be Tite (of Corinthians fame).

Grinding out those 1-0 wins. Wonder how high he is on Pato after last season.

Another fun fact. Brazil outshot Germany. :v:

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

pentyne posted:

They keep getting criticized for constantly praying too.

This also haunts both the Japanese and South Korean teams.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Suqit posted:

This isn't you.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Suqit posted:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Volkerball posted:

Grinding out those 1-0 wins. Wonder how high he is on Pato after last season.

Another fun fact. Brazil outshot Germany. :v:

Not to be too much of a homer, but I would love to see Cuca as the manager. He plays the sort of all out offense Brazilians like, and has had a lot of success in recent years.

But besides managers and fixing CBF's corruption, I really do think that going forward south American sides are going to have an uphill battle in the international stage. Given current transfer patterns and all that, it is highly unlikely that Brazil will ever have a situation where you get half the starters playing for the same team throughout the regular season. So they will have to rely on out of this world talent (like current Argentina with Messi)instead of chemistry.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Do Brazil (and other South American countries) have the money in their leagues to bring in outside talent, or keep domestic players from going to Europe at least?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Badger of Basra posted:

Do Brazil (and other South American countries) have the money in their leagues to bring in outside talent, or keep domestic players from going to Europe at least?

Usually anyone really really good is already being rumored to head to Europe by the time they are 20. Bernard, Lucas, Neymar, and Oscar are the recent examples. The only outside talent coming back in is Brazilians who are either old and want to finish up their careers in Brazil like Ronaldinho, or weren't doing anything very impressive in Europe, like Pato and Renato Augusto. I'm not sure about great Brazilian players who only played in the Brasileiro in recent history. I'd assume any examples would be few and far apart, because Europe can offer so much more money and competition, although Brazil has the better atmosphere, culture, and commentators imo.

joepinetree posted:

Not to be too much of a homer, but I would love to see Cuca as the manager. He plays the sort of all out offense Brazilians like, and has had a lot of success in recent years.

But besides managers and fixing CBF's corruption, I really do think that going forward south American sides are going to have an uphill battle in the international stage. Given current transfer patterns and all that, it is highly unlikely that Brazil will ever have a situation where you get half the starters playing for the same team throughout the regular season. So they will have to rely on out of this world talent (like current Argentina with Messi)instead of chemistry.

Mineiro was a ton of fun to watch, but to be fair, Dinho, Jo, and Bernard would be a hard combo to lose with. Why did he go to China of all places?

Also, aside from like Germany and Bayern, I don't think there's a whole lot of top tier countries that have a huge part of their core playing for the same team any more so than Brazil. All their top talent are still going to end up at Real, Barca, Chelsea, etc, so some of those guys are going to have chemistry together.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Volkerball posted:

I'm not sure about great Brazilian players who only played in the Brasileiro in recent history.

Marcos, Rogério Ceni and that's pretty much it.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Yeah that's a good point volkerball, most German players play together at Bayern and when Spain was dominant most played at Barca, there's no way Brazil is ever going to have that with the way football is run. Most of your best players are going to get scattered through Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Suqit posted:

I want this reference explained to me.

• Locked thread