Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

litany of gulps posted:

A lot of the advice you're going to get here really isn't that applicable if you're not doing the high end dungeons. Are you actually moving into tanking nightmare level dungeons, or are you still in the early stages of the game? What are you trying to make a build for?

I leveled with hammer/chaos and completed the entire story mission using the same setup. It gives you stuns, mobility, hit, and crit options, as well as dodge and block abilities. You can't really mess up too badly with your abilities, and if you do, you just gather up new ones and adjust.

Right now I'm about half way done with the Savage Coast and QL4 gear.

I'm trying to "fix" my build because I did a Polaris and was more of a burden on the group than a help.

I did go back to mostly soloing now and am thinking I should stay with this so I can get better gear and go back and do the dungeons again.

Now for my soloing gear I've gone with hit points, hit rating, and penetrating as the main stats added.

For Dungeons I want hit points, blocking, and evade from what I've gathered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
drat, that hotfix patch finally made the dressing room searchable. Thats been a long time coming.

EDIT: Although the search bar is case sensitive, which as a programmer is confusing as thats like a single line of code in almost any modern language to do a case-insensitive text search. Don't know how that got out.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 9, 2014

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Le Saboteur posted:

drat, that hotfix patch finally made the dressing room searchable. Thats been a long time coming.

EDIT: Although the search bar is case sensitive, which as a programmer is confusing as thats like a single line of code in almost any modern language to do a case-insensitive text search. Don't know how that got out.

Doesn't surprise me after that text adventure Funcom made. loving Zork knew more words and that game is older than I am.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Mayushii points out that stuff like "worry about damage, healers heal too much" only applies to late game stuff because in the early stages healers are badly equipped and probably idiots. So here are the rudiments of tanking for MMO and TSW newbies.

1. You have two main priorities when tanking. You can worry about stuff like damage later when you're good but for now these are all you care about. They are don't die and hold threat. More on what that second thing means in a moment.

2. The MMO standard for tanking is aggro/threat. Based on what the monster in question is being hit by, it has a hidden threat meter. The more damage you do to something, the more your threat level builds up on that meter. (Healers also build threat on anything currently in combat; the exact formula varies by game.) The monster's primary target is always whoever has the most threat on that meter, unless there's something specifically written in its AI to make it hit something else ("pick a random target," "wipe the threat meter to 0 for everyone," "use an area of effect (AOE) ability," that kind of thing). As a tank you always want to be the highest on the threat list unless there's some mechanics reason not to be. This is how you fulfill your primary role of Not Letting Monsters Murder Your Friends.

Generally tanks do much less damage than DPS players. In order to make it possible to hold threat, they get to cheat. Sometimes this means active abilities that generate threat levels out of whack with their damage; sometimes it means passive abilities that cause all or some of your stuff to do that. In TSW it means both.

The primary threat passive for tanks is Agitator. You can add Fuel to the Fire to that if you need to; it's a good idea at the beginning but you will probably phase it out over time.

3. In theory you can use whatever weapons you want to tank, but Sword/Hammer/Chaos are probably the easiest, and if you try to do something nutty like Pistols/Blood tanking people are going to look at you funny and probably not want to group with you. I've been in a group with a Shotgun tank, it "worked," but weapons not designed for tanking don't have abilities as well suited to it. I would suggest Sword/Chaos as the easiest newbie tank pairing, but Sword/Hammer is good too, and Hammer/Chaos ought to be fine too. If you are taking Chaos I strongly recommend using Reality Fracture/Extended Fracture when you're first starting out -- it lays down a persistent ground effect that will pick up anything that runs through it, plus you can place it wherever. This is really nice for Darkness War where there are a ton of adds. If you're using Sword I strongly recommend using Crimson Theatre for the same reason, although that always goes up in a circle around you. The standard Chaos builder is Escalation, which is nice because it 1. Makes extra threat and 2. Doesn't require you face what you're hitting. For Swords it's usually... Blade Torrent I think? But I think you need Breakdown to make that a good idea

4. Most people will be expecting the tank to apply a few effects. This is because they're a good idea to have. They are:

A. Exposed - unless things have changed Escalation applies this, any other builder will need the Breakdown passive IIRC. This makes things take 30% more damage when fully stacked, which makes things go a lot faster, which is the difference between wiping to a DPS check or not. Or having to hide from Ur-Draug or not. Generally MMO players have done whatever you're doing a million times, so even if there's no mechanical reason to kill something fast, you want this up because getting through a fight faster is always good. Being in a fight for less time also means you have to not gently caress up mechanics for less time, which is very important.

B. Weakened - monsters that are Weakened don't hit as hard. This is obviously good as it helps you fulfill the Prime Directive of not dying. It is generally applied via passives. I am not sure if the current meta is for tanks to apply that or not but someone should be.

C. Afflicted - I don't even remember what the standard choice is for this. There was some debate last time I played seriously about whether tanks should be the ones applying this debuff. You don't give a poo poo about the negligible damage, but having it always up allows DPS passives that proc off Afflicted to activate.

D. Protection - can't even remember if this is the right name, but it's applied by passives like Hardcase (thanks Mayushii). This is a buff for you, not a debuff to the monster, and as you can imagine, it helps you not die.

5. Impairs - this is less important pre Nightmare but still good to know. Dungeon bosses can only be interrupted (Impaired) three times before they are uninterruptible for a bit. Pre Nightmare this is a quality-of-life issue, so that you can ignore annoying mechanics. In Nightmares this is a life or death issue, because failing to interrupt certain abilities will kill your entire group, so start practicing now. Only the tank should ever, ever be interrupting bosses so that you don't find you can't interrupt when you have to. Yell at anyone else who does. Also, interrupts can miss if you have low hit, because Funcom are idiots. Have fun in Nightmares!

6. Good tanks will be maximizing threat at all times. Sometimes this requires knowing the fight -- for example, if you know you're going to have limited contact time on a boss while DPS can go hog wild (this is common since you will generally be melee and they will generally be ranged) it might make sense to take an Elite ability like Stoicism and activate it when you can hit the boss. That way you have built up a buffer of threat that, hopefully, the DPS can't overcome.

7. Be flexible in your planning. I once got a message after a dungeon complimenting me on my tanking because I was literally the only tank he'd ever had who could hold threat off him, and he massively outgeared me. I did this with tricks like Stoicism mentioned above and by swapping abilities every fight because I knew holding threat off him would be a concern. If I needed Stoicism I'd swap out my Elite interrupt for it. If I knew a fight had lots of adds I swapped in Crimson Theatre and Reality Fracture because I knew picking them up would be hard. Anticipating problems allows you to plan for them and respond preemptively. Your ability to do this will improve over time as you learn the fights, the mechanics, and the available abilities. For now you can tank with pretty much any abilities as long as you have Agitator slotted.

This was a much longer post than I intended to write. I talk too much.

EDIT: Take whatever the Taunt ability is. You can drop it later when you're good if you want. For now the ability to instantly set yourself to be the highest on the threat meter is priceless in case you lose control of a fight. Note that once you taunt something you still have to keep hitting it or it will go back to pounding on whoever pulled the boss off you.

guppy fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 9, 2014

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Good primer Raiser, Will put that in the OP later today.

Couple additions to your wall of awesome. Weakened is a state and exposed, corrupted and debilitated are the different types. Debilitated is the one where the incoming damage is reduced.

There are two taunts in the threat wheel, provoke and mass provoke. Provoke adjusts your current threat to the highest and mass provoke puts you at the top of the list for the duration then puts you back where you were. They are both situational and I feel they shouldn't be in your deck unless the boss has a threat wipe like DW6.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

guppy posted:

Mayushii points out that stuff like "worry about damage, healers heal too much" only applies to late game stuff because in the early stages healers are badly equipped and probably idiots. So here are the rudiments of tanking for MMO and TSW newbies.

1. You have two main priorities when tanking. You can worry about stuff like damage later when you're good but for now these are all you care about. They are don't die and hold threat. More on what that second thing means in a moment.

2. The MMO standard for tanking is aggro/threat. Based on what the monster in question is being hit by, it has a hidden threat meter. The more damage you do to something, the more your threat level builds up on that meter. (Healers also build threat on anything currently in combat; the exact formula varies by game.) The monster's primary target is always whoever has the most threat on that meter, unless there's something specifically written in its AI to make it hit something else ("pick a random target," "wipe the threat meter to 0 for everyone," "use an area of effect (AOE) ability," that kind of thing). As a tank you always want to be the highest on the threat list unless there's some mechanics reason not to be. This is how you fulfill your primary role of Not Letting Monsters Murder Your Friends.

Generally tanks do much less damage than DPS players. In order to make it possible to hold threat, they get to cheat. Sometimes this means active abilities that generate threat levels out of whack with their damage; sometimes it means passive abilities that cause all or some of your stuff to do that. In TSW it means both.

The primary threat passive for tanks is Agitator. You can add Fuel to the Fire to that if you need to; it's a good idea at the beginning but you will probably phase it out over time.

3. In theory you can use whatever weapons you want to tank, but Sword/Hammer/Chaos are probably the easiest, and if you try to do something nutty like Pistols/Blood tanking people are going to look at you funny and probably not want to group with you. I've been in a group with a Shotgun tank, it "worked," but weapons not designed for tanking don't have abilities as well suited to it. I would suggest Sword/Chaos as the easiest newbie tank pairing, but Sword/Hammer is good too, and Hammer/Chaos ought to be fine too. If you are taking Chaos I strongly recommend using Reality Fracture/Extended Fracture when you're first starting out -- it lays down a persistent ground effect that will pick up anything that runs through it, plus you can place it wherever. This is really nice for Darkness War where there are a ton of adds. If you're using Sword I strongly recommend using Crimson Theatre for the same reason, although that always goes up in a circle around you. The standard Chaos builder is Escalation, which is nice because it 1. Makes extra threat and 2. Doesn't require you face what you're hitting. For Swords it's usually... Blade Torrent I think? But I think you need Breakdown to make that a good idea

4. Most people will be expecting the tank to apply a few effects. This is because they're a good idea to have. They are:

A. Exposed - unless things have changed Escalation applies this, any other builder will need the Breakdown passive IIRC. This makes things take 30% more damage when fully stacked, which makes things go a lot faster, which is the difference between wiping to a DPS check or not. Or having to hide from Ur-Draug or not. Generally MMO players have done whatever you're doing a million times, so even if there's no mechanical reason to kill something fast, you want this up because getting through a fight faster is always good. Being in a fight for less time also means you have to not gently caress up mechanics for less time, which is very important.

B. Weakened - monsters that are Weakened don't hit as hard. This is obviously good as it helps you fulfill the Prime Directive of not dying. It is generally applied via passives. I am not sure if the current meta is for tanks to apply that or not but someone should be.

C. Afflicted - I don't even remember what the standard choice is for this. There was some debate last time I played seriously about whether tanks should be the ones applying this debuff. You don't give a poo poo about the negligible damage, but having it always up allows DPS passives that proc off Afflicted to activate.

D. Protection - can't even remember if this is the right name, but it's applied by passives like Hardcase (thanks Mayushii). This is a buff for you, not a debuff to the monster, and as you can imagine, it helps you not die.

5. Impairs - this is less important pre Nightmare but still good to know. Dungeon bosses can only be interrupted (Impaired) three times before they are uninterruptible for a bit. Pre Nightmare this is a quality-of-life issue, so that you can ignore annoying mechanics. In Nightmares this is a life or death issue, because failing to interrupt certain abilities will kill your entire group, so start practicing now. Only the tank should ever, ever be interrupting bosses so that you don't find you can't interrupt when you have to. Yell at anyone else who does. Also, interrupts can miss if you have low hit, because Funcom are idiots. Have fun in Nightmares!

6. Good tanks will be maximizing threat at all times. Sometimes this requires knowing the fight -- for example, if you know you're going to have limited contact time on a boss while DPS can go hog wild (this is common since you will generally be melee and they will generally be ranged) it might make sense to take an Elite ability like Stoicism and activate it when you can hit the boss. That way you have built up a buffer of threat that, hopefully, the DPS can't overcome.

7. Be flexible in your planning. I once got a message after a dungeon complimenting me on my tanking because I was literally the only tank he'd ever had who could hold threat off him, and he massively outgeared me. I did this with tricks like Stoicism mentioned above and by swapping abilities every fight because I knew holding threat off him would be a concern. If I needed Stoicism I'd swap out my Elite interrupt for it. If I knew a fight had lots of adds I swapped in Crimson Theatre and Reality Fracture because I knew picking them up would be hard. Anticipating problems allows you to plan for them and respond preemptively. Your ability to do this will improve over time as you learn the fights, the mechanics, and the available abilities. For now you can tank with pretty much any abilities as long as you have Agitator slotted.

This was a much longer post than I intended to write. I talk too much.

EDIT: Take whatever the Taunt ability is. You can drop it later when you're good if you want. For now the ability to instantly set yourself to be the highest on the threat meter is priceless in case you lose control of a fight. Note that once you taunt something you still have to keep hitting it or it will go back to pounding on whoever pulled the boss off you.

It's a long post but all of this is good advice. Some things vary per dungeon where there's gimmicks like more defence or block or glancing does 1k damage.

Feel free to ask how the dungeons and their fights go. Most of us in here can do them in our sleep.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Escalation requires the escalation specific passive in order to apply exposed, so going chaos doesn't save you a passive slot. Someone could interpret you post to be inferring that it does. Otherwise, great advice.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

GEMorris posted:

Escalation requires the escalation specific passive in order to apply exposed, so going chaos doesn't save you a passive slot. Someone could interpret you post to be inferring that it does. Otherwise, great advice.

Honestly I would just take breakdown anyway. If I'm remembering right it makes all hammer/blade/chaos abilities apply exposed.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
The escalation passive also gives the hit chance bonus, which is nice for undergeared tanks.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks for the corrections. I thought Escalation did apply Exposed without Breakdown, but I guess I'm misremembering or it's changed -- Rhan, that's a correct reading of my post, I did intend to imply that, I'm just wrong. :)

On Provoke: I agree with Hugh that when you are experienced you don't need Provoke unless mechanics call for it, but I would always suggest new tanks take it. You are new to tanking and you are going to gently caress up, and Provoke is a magic fix-it button on a low-ish cooldown.

On Mass Provoke: Hugh's point about Mass Provoke's effect is very important, and not understanding it can potentially be a big problem. Only Provoke actually resets threat, so if you are way behind, Mass Provoke is only going to "solve" the problem for five seconds. If you're only a little behind you can use it to guarantee it stays on you for a few seconds while you get yourself ahead again.

Also, I see I didn't make this explicit: you'll probably phase out both Crimson Theatre and Reality Fracture over time, as they are outclassed in both threat and damage by other abilities. They are bar none the simplest consumers to use, however, and their persistent nature lets you use them to pick up things that are still wandering over to you. (Again, especially useful in Darkness War, the Dungeon o' Adds). Since they tick periodically, they also apply the bonus threat from Fuel to the Fire with every tick, if you're using FttF. Eventually your regular abilities will produce so much threat that you can keep everything Krazy Glued to you without any of those things.

Edit: lots of us miss running dungeons occasionally, and probably have lowbie alts that can come punch stuff with you. Let us know if you need warm bodies/instructors for dungeons.

guppy fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 9, 2014

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
For other advice, if you want to apply both exposed and debilitated (which can be overkill for a group, but if you're solo or in a small group, can make a huge difference) use "Breakdown" and the hammer resource builder "Smash" with the passive "Below the Belt". Every time you hit with "Smash", you'll apply both debilitated and exposed. Especially early on, debilitated is going to do more to keep you alive than pretty much any other single thing. If you need AE power, look at escalation or grand slam.

I would recommend the hammer consumer "Aftershock" for general purpose use. It hits harder than most other consumers, and it reduces the damage you take by 7.5%.

I found that the hammer elite passive "Forged in Fire" is the single most insane thing to have for soloing or if you're in a group with lovely healers. Whenever you drop below 50% life, you begin regenerating 40% of your max HP over the next few seconds. You don't have to hit a button, it just goes off.

The active hammer elites "Epicentre" and "Raging Volcano" deal incredible amounts of damage. Like, so much damage that you'll wonder why all of these other elite abilities even exist. "Raging Volcano" also has a built in taunt + defensive ability. Go for these to replace your inner ring elites ASAP, you'll use them forever. These will make a huge difference for holding aggro, too. Couple them with something like "Agitator" that boosts your threat generation and you shouldn't have to worry too much about not being able to get things on you.

Wear a blend of HP and attack gear. High end tanks have like 8-10k+ HP, but at lower levels if you stack nothing but HP, you're going to feel really weak and pathetic.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I found my first mission bug that isn't terrain related! Doing the mission The Right Round got me zero kills towards Filth Evolved.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So are there any clothing unlocks available during this anniversary event? I checked around but couldn't find a guide that definitively says what's what.

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...
Hakama, white (clothing, leg) (picture)
Jingasa Hat, white (clothing, head) (picture)
Kimono, white (clothing, chest) (picture)

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
So, now that I'm home, here are some old tanking builds I have. I have not updated these in 10000000000000000000 years. It's highly likely there are balance or meta changes that make some or all of what's here undesirable. But they might at least give you a starting point for what to work toward.

Blade/Chaos - Babby's First Tanking Build

This is recommended for beginning tanks. It involves some abilities that are easy to use but are outclassed by other abilities, as well as some crutches like Fuel to the Fire and Provoke, that can be phased out as you get better. If you don't need 3 Impairs you can substitute other things like survivability cooldowns or Mass Provoke or whatever.

Basic rotation is to Escalate to 5 resources, then drop CT and RF. Impair as needed; this build features 3 Impairs.

Active
1. Escalation
2. Provoke
3. Crimson Theatre*
4. Reality Fracture
5. Stunning Swirl (Elite)**
6. Chaotic Pull***
7. Trial By Swords****

* If you feel you no longer need CT, you can substitute Clearing the Path, which does much more damage, especially as it has a substantially increased chance to Penetrate Afflicted targets. (This used to be guaranteed, but was nerfed to 40%, IIRC.) CtP will also help proc Debilitated from 12 Gouge, so this change might be worth making sooner rather than later. Also, if you substitute CtP, change your rotation to alternate between Escalation and 1-resource CtP's, and drop your Chaos consumer at 5.

** We used to use Art of War. You still can if you want. But AoW impairs for 1 second, SS impairs for 3. The effects are slightly different as AoW also causes the next several attacks to glance and forces a 5 second Mass Provoke effect on everything it hits. They're both Elites, which IIRC means they can't miss. Use whichever you prefer. Also, this is what you'd take out for fights where you want Stoicism, which is both a threat and a survivability cooldown in one.

*** This is here mainly as an Impair. The fact that it pulls things is also mechanically useful in a few Nightmare fights. There are a couple things it can't Impair. I don't remember what they are as there is little to no rhyme or reason to it.

**** This has a long loving windup. Make sure you hit it early in the enemy cast, or else the enemy ability will go off anyway for reasons of latency and #funcompetence.

Passive
1. Agitator
2. Fuel to the Fire
3. 12 Gouge
4. Intensity
5. Shoot 'Em Up
6. Hardcase
7. Sixth Sense (Elite)*

* I don't remember why this is here. IIRC this is not good and you should use something else.

Blade/Hammer - My Last Known Good Build

I don't know if this is still popular. It's the base for what I used to use. Change around as the situation demands. Trucker is a strictly worse choice than Stone's Throw but it is hella fun to charge into things and it can be a good way to get some early threat if your DPS like to jump the gun. This build is more damage-focused than the other one, uses different weapons, and lacks the persistent ground AOEs. Again, substitute Stoicism or whatever survivability cooldowns you want if you don't need 3 impairs.

Rotation is to alternate BT and CtP until you get to 5 Hammer resources, then Razor Shards, [then Stone's Throw if it's up,] then CtP. You can pull with Stone's Throw if you like.

Active
1. Blade Torrent
2. Clearing the Path
3. Razor Shards*
4. Stone's Throw**
5. Stunning Swirl (Elite)
6. Trial By Swords
7. Beatdown***

* This makes your next attack cause bonus threat, so it's a good idea to make it a Stone's Throw if you can. If not, use it before CtP so CtP does maximum threat.

** This is a good ranged ability to pull with. It's also the highest-threat thing here, so work it into the rotation after Razor Shards.

*** This used to be bugged to give 2 stacks of whatever it's called that keeps you from Impairing after 3 times. I think that's fixed, but maybe save it for your last stack just in case.

Passive
1. Agitator
2. Iron Maiden
3. Breakdown
4. Hardcase
5. Shoot 'Em Up
6. 12 Gouge
7. Flight of Daggers (Elite)*

* This is here because at the time I was using this build I cared more about damage than survivability. If that's not the case for you, you can swap in something else. There's also a very similar ability in Chaos called From The Abyss. I don't remember if one is better or if it matters, I have it because when we had two raid tanks the other guy used From The Abyss and you can only apply one Afflict from FoD. At least I think that's why we made sure to use different ones.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

guppy posted:

*** This used to be bugged to give 2 stacks of whatever it's called that keeps you from Impairing after 3 times. I think that's fixed, but maybe save it for your last stack just in case.

This did get fixed. I really do miss whatever attack immediately followed beat down impairing though. Beat down on one dead ops then follow that up with a builder. BOOM instant breathing room.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Since we're on the topic of builds, I'm having issues with Tokyo and I'm sort of at a loss on the best way to do the solo stuff. AEGIS has made my old leech soloing build basically worthless as soon as I run into a mob with two AEGIS shields or a large pack I can't kite easily and the builds that the pubbies on the TSW forums are recommending don't really seem to be any more effective. I think part of the issue I'm having is there are a lot more telegraphed attacks in Tokyo and since I'm an oceanic player with 250-300ms latency I'm finding it hard to get out of them (out of the graphic on my screen, still get hit anyway) consistently.

My gear choices aren't great (full set of 10.1 attack power gear with a few healing power and hp pieces as options) but I'm at least hit capped and usually hover around 400 pen rating. For weapons I've got 10.2 AR/Blood Focus, 10.1 Shotgun/Ele Focus/Fist, 10 purple Pistol/Hammer and blue QL10 Blade/Chaos, most of which are from the few 18s I've done with you guys before I decided I didn't want to run them every day for 6 weeks to get a set of gear. I'm only a couple hundred AP from Panoptic Core so I can effectively use anything in the main wheel.

Any suggestions on how I can make soloing in Tokyo not completely awful?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Can you recommend a good solo spec for going through the zones. Currently using blade rifle build, using elemental force procs the inner ring aoe blade focus or dancing blade for solo. And using the one healing rifle consumer, leeching passive, turn the tables, and martial discipline for healing. Killing power seems about fine as long as I don't try to fight like 3 QL 10 mobs. I have the inner ring filled out so I can pretty much swing anyway.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Mercurius posted:

Any suggestions on how I can make soloing in Tokyo not completely awful?
Pick up some low level AE capacitors from the Auction House. You get a fairly big boost in shield-breaking just by having 4 QL0s equipped compared to having nothing at all.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Zephonith posted:

Pick up some low level AE capacitors from the Auction House. You get a fairly big boost in shield-breaking just by having 4 QL0s equipped compared to having nothing at all.

I had thought that memory expansion was going to make me awesome. I finally scraped together 25 sequins of sunrise, bought my memory upgrade, and bam. Instead of 5%, my AEGIS device now converted 5.9% of my damage into AEGIS shield damage. :cripes:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I cant wait until sequins are on loot tables.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Can you recommend a good solo spec for going through the zones. Currently using blade rifle build, using elemental force procs the inner ring aoe blade focus or dancing blade for solo. And using the one healing rifle consumer, leeching passive, turn the tables, and martial discipline for healing. Killing power seems about fine as long as I don't try to fight like 3 QL 10 mobs. I have the inner ring filled out so I can pretty much swing anyway.

I made a magical snow flake build that I was running when doing solo content that was about as lazy as poo poo and let me hit 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 over and over. It strayed away from the builder/consumer mind set a little, but I had a ton of success with it. Others mileage will most likely vary. Anyways, here is an adaption of my build that a non ql-10.5.5 without a Karma Curio can use.

Blade / Fist Focus Build
ACTIVES - The Bread
Chop Shop - AoE mob cutter-downer
Dancing Blade - Solo mob cutter-downer
Berserk - Resource Dump for secondary weapon
Surgical Steel - Self heal to avoid repair bills while leashing mobs
Cauterise - Super self heal to use while leashing mobs
Blade Torrent - Builds a resource if you lose your focus attack.
Elite - Master's House

PASSIVES - The Butter
Finish the Movement - Makes the build work, when you finish channeling a focus ability you gain a resource for your primary (the one that is out) weapon.
Vital Fluids - 10% chance to gain a resource when you apply an afflict.
Invasive Measures - 10% chance to gain a resource when you hit a weakened target.
Blood Sport - Constant afflict that is always being reapplied to synergise with Vital Fluid.
Breakdown - Applies weakened (exposed) to synergise with Invasive Measures.
Ready for More - Self Cleanse when you finish channeling a focus, good for Transylvania status effects.
Elite Seal the Deal - More damage; but this is also a flex passive.

Here was my original theory: If I spin with Chop Shop for 2.5 seconds getting 5 chances for each proc against each mob, I should be able to get at 1 more resource for the next spin. What really happened was I was getting 3-5 resources against 2-3 mobs and melting everything. I had a lot of success with this build in solo and duo scenarios as well. This build can be very flexible while the core remaining the same.

I haven't tested this build in Tokyo yet, but it should be able to handle that content with some minor changes as well.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

HughGRect posted:

I made a magical snow flake build that I was running when doing solo content that was about as lazy as poo poo and let me hit 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 over and over. It strayed away from the builder/consumer mind set a little, but I had a ton of success with it. Others mileage will most likely vary. Anyways, here is an adaption of my build that a non ql-10.5.5 without a Karma Curio can use.

Blade / Fist Focus Build
ACTIVES - The Bread
Elite - Master's House

PASSIVES - The Butter
Finish the Movement - Makes the build work, when you finish channeling a focus ability you gain a resource for your primary (the one that is out) weapon.
Invasive Measures - 10% chance to gain a resource when you hit a weakened target.
Blood Sport - Constant afflict that is always being reapplied to synergise with Vital Fluid.
Ready for More - Self Cleanse when you finish channeling a focus, good for Transylvania status effects.

Here was my original theory: If I spin with Chop Shop for 2.5 seconds getting 5 chances for each proc against each mob, I should be able to get at 1 more resource for the next spin. What really happened was I was getting 3-5 resources against 2-3 mobs and melting everything. I had a lot of success with this build in solo and duo scenarios as well. This build can be very flexible while the core remaining the same.

I haven't tested this build in Tokyo yet, but it should be able to handle that content with some minor changes as well.

Nice, thank you. It gives me a whole number of different skills to learn about. Will spec this build soon as I can in the next few days.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

HughGRect posted:

Blade / Fist Focus Build
ACTIVES - The Bread
Elite - Master's House

PASSIVES - The Butter

Have you tested Criticality with this to see if it can do additional procs?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Have you tested Criticality with this to see if it can do additional procs?

I think criticality took a nerf that only allowed it to cast once per second rather then being able to cast on all of the mobs, will test it when i update the client.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

prefect posted:

I had thought that memory expansion was going to make me awesome. I finally scraped together 25 sequins of sunrise, bought my memory upgrade, and bam. Instead of 5%, my AEGIS device now converted 5.9% of my damage into AEGIS shield damage. :cripes:

Yeeeeah, upgrading AEGIS is mostly for unlocking Capacitors. With four QL1s, you can get up to 15-18% AEGIS damage with no additional effort. At QL4 I'm around 25%.

BigDes
Dec 27, 2012
Is a ranged/ranged dps build decent

Like if I went with pistols and shotguns, or do you pretty much need a melee weapon as well?

I could use magic but magic is for nerds.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yes, ranged/ranged is fine, even normal. Having a melee weapon forces you to be melee most of the time, and in dungeons being melee DPS is extraordinarily disadvantageous. Pistols/Shotgun is one of the classic DPS builds. I'm assuming it's still a viable combo; at one point it was maybe the best around, although it's less good now that you can only have one Deadly Aim and one Breaching Shot per group (as cooldowns were added).

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Thanks for the help with missions Zepho. Also Hugh that build is hilarious.

BigDes
Dec 27, 2012

guppy posted:

Yes, ranged/ranged is fine, even normal. Having a melee weapon forces you to be melee most of the time, and in dungeons being melee DPS is extraordinarily disadvantageous. Pistols/Shotgun is one of the classic DPS builds. I'm assuming it's still a viable combo; at one point it was maybe the best around, although it's less good now that you can only have one Deadly Aim and one Breaching Shot per group (as cooldowns were added).

Ah sweet, thank you.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I patched up and did the pre-Tokyo and Tokyo story stuff over the last few days. While scenarios remain a ridiculous joke, I was able to buy a forged Council authorization and not have to do any more of them. Starting from Arturo's office on I really enjoyed it. Seems like the mission and story crew can still do some great work. If I have a major complaint it's that it's rather short -- I was a bit surprised when the mission warned me I couldn't proceed further til issue 10.

Some more detailed thoughts:

1. Tokyo subway - They did it! They came full circle! Funcom, you beautiful bastards, you played the long game with this one. I still want more detail on Sarah etc.; I assume that's coming.

2. AEGIS system - This is gonna be some tedious bullshit. It's not too bad right now but I'm dreading what happens when they incorporate it into dungeons. Why the gently caress is there a long cooldown switching types? That's nuts. I like that the types seem to behave differently, at least on the golem, rather than just being indistinguishable extra health bars. Speaking of,

3. That loving golem. Funcom has learned nothing here. Enough with the loving golems. And this one has way too much health. I have gotten every piece of lore the game has ever made available but I think it stops here, because I cannot be bothered to kill this thing more than once.

4. Jingu clan - Gozen is cool.

5. House-in-Exile - Inbeda is also cool.

6. Yakuza - Still not sure what I think of these guys, which is unfortunate since I'm Dragon.

7. Parking garage - Nice work, very creepy. The little girls are mechanically annoying when there's more than one.

8. No Fear Foundation - Probably my favorite of a very good issue. I almost wish it had been more horrifying than it was -- "suicide cult" is fine and all, but it lacks the incredible sadness of something like the Facility or the Black House. Still unclear on why they experimented on Sachiko. Disappointed there was no way to avenge Sachiko or otherwise lay her to rest. I got all the lore for this place and I liked that it forewarned me to play hide-and-seek for my own safety. Thanks, bees. Thought I saw a reference to the Morningstar but never heard anything else about it.

9. Apartment building - Fine but the weakest of the major areas. Took me forever to realize I was falling down because of marbles on the floor in a couple places. Awkward place for the story to pause.

I had a lot of fun with this and I will probably buy the side stories pack and do those and maybe some side quests to keep it going. Issue 10 better come out soon -- I know that there was a lot of setup work to get Tokyo out as a zone, but it was a VERY long time for not much more playable content than a "normal" issue.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.
So some dude/chick/kawaii thing on the official forums wants to be able to breed pets, this thread is amazing:

quote:

The reason Succubi have exaggerated female features is because they exist solely to tempt, seduce and corrupt mortal men. The sexual features have nothing to do with procreation. To be fair, in-game there should also be Incubi, demons in male human form who tempt, seduce and corrupt human females.

The Malleus Maleficarum (written in 1486 by Heinrich Kramer) states that demons, including the incubus and the succubus, are incapable of reproduction:

Moreover, to beget a child is the act of a living body, but devils cannot bestow life upon the bodies they assume; because life formally proceeds only from the soul, and the act of generation is the act of the physical organs which have bodily life. Therefore bodies which are assumed in this way cannot either beget or bear

:ohdear:

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

quote:

Not all monsters hump >.>

I stopped reading when I saw all the big name poo poo players.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

guppy posted:

3. That loving golem. Funcom has learned nothing here. Enough with the loving golems. And this one has way too much health. I have gotten every piece of lore the game has ever made available but I think it stops here, because I cannot be bothered to kill this thing more than once.

After yesterday's patch, you can get corrupted SD cards at auction.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

prefect posted:

After yesterday's patch, you can get corrupted SD cards at auction.

I'm new to the game. whats the best way to earn pax to spend at the auction?
Grinding out missions for rewards? farming drops?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Marx posted:

So some dude/chick/kawaii thing on the official forums wants to be able to breed pets, this thread is amazing:

:ohdear:

I haven't started reading that thread yet. But I will say that if TSW stole from the .hack series and let me raise a pet I would grind all the things always to get the best pet

That said I'm going to read this now and be disappointed.

I am very disappointed. These people are loving weird.

Edit: This thing has a terrible typing pattern that causes me pain.

quote:

iPropose

quote:

iWould

And so on.

Len fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 10, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gegil posted:

Maybe just doing normal missions? I generally seem to have enough money to buy most things I need, and I don't put any special effort into it. Sell stuff you find at the auction house -- sometimes you'll get something that people will actually pay for.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Gegil posted:

Once you've finished the story and Issues 5, 6, and 8, redo the final mission in each Issue for blue signet bags. You can sprint through a lot of them once you know where everything is. Signets (and signet bags) are worth less than they were a year ago, though. Definitely open each blue signet bag yourself and try your luck, if you just sell the unopened bags you'll eventually go insane.

Alternatively, run Tokyo missions for Sequins of Sunrise and buy the upgrade kit that costs 35 sequins. Should still be going for 10-15m.

More alternatively, get a ton of Tokyo sequins and wait until Issue 10 comes out, because it will have new AEGIS stuff and every time new mechanics of any kind are introduced, the price of everything related to them skyrockets.

If you're not anywhere near Tokyo, maybe try getting in on Golem kills elsewhere, though their drops are a lot less profitable because they're all repeats of last year.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Golem Spotter Guide posted:

How to spot / announce a golem

Two letter zone name -- Dim:X Server:X -- Unengaged // HP left // % dead -- MU on you or not -- witty message

Example: KM - Dim2 Server70 - 10mil / 66% - MU on me - boogey golem dance

To find Dimension / Server -- SHIFT+F9 -- you must have subscribe channel > public > system turned on, by default this channel is unsubscribed

If you have spotted a golem and announced it, it is generally a good idea to keep Event updated - commonly this is done at either 75% / 50% health or in 5 million HP blocks. A time estimate in minutes to death is always nice

Without updates, no-one can tell if they can make it to the golem in time before it dies!

To travel to a spotter, FRIEND them, then press shift+F, click on the tab by their name and select Meet Up

Do not use party invites on spotters, it can lead to the client issuing dimension server change messages to your location, which is the opposite of what you want

Lastly, do not ask if a golem is active or has been spotted: spotters will announce them. If a golem hasn't been announced for a while, go out and join the search!

Because goddamn you're doing this to help people you WILL do it to this guys specifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Obviously you're under no obligation to do what he wants but that is all useful information, and it's helpful for people if you do what he wants you to.

• Locked thread