Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Looks like I'm one of the people selected by work for a free trip to Farnborough Air Show next week as a rewards/recognition perk. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

freelop posted:

For the people with AC, supposing you didn't have AC what does the temperature actually get up to?

When my AC died earlier this year it was 90*f inside my apartment

e: at 4 am with all the windows open

rscott fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 9, 2014

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

The nice part about Colorado is it cools off rapidly at night, so by about 9PM if you open windows and run a fan, it's tolerable in the house.

That said, I spent $5k on A/C and it was worth every loving penny.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

^Yeah, we don't get that luxury where I live.

freelop posted:

For the people with AC, supposing you didn't have AC what does the temperature actually get up to?

I'm in central Florida. My A/C went out back in May. After a couple days it was up to high 80s inside, and unbearably humid, and that was before summer proper had started (ie daily afternoon thunderstorms.) Again, only a few days; with STR's advice I managed to bodge it together enough to run it for a day every couple days until the A/C guys could get out to us.

Even fans didn't help; it was just blowing the hot, sticky air right back on you. Our fridge is brand new, but even so it was stuggling to keep the inside temp below 40; any hotter and we'd have had spoiled food like STR mentioned.

Mechanical A/C is an absolute necessity anywhere it gets humid regularly (the entire South). At least we don't really worry about heating bills here, most years there's maybe 2-4 weeks where it's cold enough to need more than sweatpants and socks to be comfortably warm.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

HotCanadianChick posted:

Ew, Idaho :gonk:

my step-dad is from Boise, but I've still never seen it get as bad there as someplace like Florida or Mississippi

I had to drive through mississippi in the first week of august last year. I had to stop halfway and sit in a starbucks sucking down water for nearly an hour before I felt well enough to keep driving due to the heat and the A/C in my truck being out. I've never had that happen to me, despite living in the south all of my life.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

InitialDave posted:

Looks like I'm one of the people selected by work for a free trip to Farnborough Air Show next week as a rewards/recognition perk. :toot:

That's cool!

If you stop by the Raytheon exhibit you can see a lot of the stuff I've worked on :ssh:

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
I live in Minnesota. We get about two weeks of nice weather a year, and then we're either cranking up the furnace to survive the cold or blasting the AC to survive the heat.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Geirskogul posted:

Ah. Southern Idaho. That's your problem :v:. (it never gets as bad as FL or MS, but it can still get pretty bad with the rockies/salish mountains grabbing weather before it heads east).

I always forget that stuff east of the mountains is considered part of the PNW. Hell, I try to forget that eastern Washington unless I want to go to lake chelan. People think Washington is super liberal, but really its only along the coast, once you get over the mountains its as republican as you can get.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Why are you lot talking about summer for? It's winter time at the moment you crazy people!

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
gently caress frozen tie rods. Which pop loose at the most inopportune time. Leading to your hand flying off smacking into the alignment rack and either smashing fingertips, or smashing the back of your hand which causes two of your fingers to stop functioning. gently caress YOU FROZEN TIE ROD!!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

goatse guy posted:

I live in Minnesota. We get about two weeks of nice weather a year, and then we're either cranking up the furnace to survive the cold or blasting the AC to survive the heat.

Yeah, its Iowa's top hat, we just get slightly longer periods of nice weather.

In another note. gently caress sanding.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

SouthsideSaint posted:

gently caress frozen tie rods. Which pop loose at the most inopportune time. Leading to your hand flying off smacking into the alignment rack and either smashing fingertips, or smashing the back of your hand which causes two of your fingers to stop functioning. gently caress YOU FROZEN TIE ROD!!

This sounds like every suspension part I've ever touched with a wrench that's more than 10 years old.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
It was almost ten years old. But IDOT loves to throw salt everywhere around here. Then all the villages also throw there salt down wherever they feel like it.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Wanna talk about seized poo poo? I've been working on nothing but salt spreaders for the last 2 weeks. :suicide:
it took a a little over 10 hours to get the tranny yoke off on this clutch job I'm on right now, had to torch it to within 1/4" of the OP shaft and then it came with the 1" gun on the yoke puller. Tranny yokes generally have enough clearance that you just slide them off once the nut comes off.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 10, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
At least people don't blame you for breaking out the blue tipped wrench, big hammers, and getting downright medieval with poo poo on those, right? I mean, hexagonal nuts aren't even hexagonal anymore half the time on equipment like that. Or round. Or even still on this plane of existence.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

kastein posted:

At least people don't blame you for breaking out the blue tipped wrench, big hammers, and getting downright medieval with poo poo on those, right? I mean, hexagonal nuts aren't even hexagonal anymore half the time on equipment like that. Or round. Or even still on this plane of existence.

When appropriate, yes (see my edit to that post). But trucks are generally pretty bad for having harnesses full of a mix of synflex ("spaghetti") air lines and tiny, sensitive wires running right next to the most seized bolt on the whole drat thing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Goddamn, that's some gnarly rust. Last time I had a seized yoke nut issue, it was only a 1.25" nut and using a 3/4" breaker bar, 4 feet of pipe, and a pipe wrench to stabilize the yoke, then jumping on the motherfucker was all it took to pop it loose. This after a 1000 foot pound impact wrench was denied.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Did a small pork roast on the rotisserie tonight. My god it was heaven, I just basted it ever 10-15 minutes with a little BBQ sauce and did a high heat to make a crust. Seriously, if you have a rotisserie, break it out and get cooking.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Did a small pork roast on the rotisserie tonight. My god it was heaven, I just basted it ever 10-15 minutes with a little BBQ sauce and did a high heat to make a crust. Seriously, if you have a rotisserie, break it out and get cooking.

I cooked a small steak, chopped it up and dumped it over rice with some ginger sauce. Was pretty delicious.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

goatse guy posted:

Minnesota gets like 2 weeks a year when you need AC.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I was once helping our alignment tech to loosen a really badly frozen tie rod (because I'm a fat gently caress so I straight up had more weight to put on the biggest wrench that would fit). Well, he had his face a bit too close behind me, and when it finally let go my arm shot back and drove my elbow straight into his cheek. :gonk:

Luckily he realized it was his gently caress-up, some of our less cool-headed coworkers would have tried to beat my rear end over it.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Went into work today to find myself surrounded by motor mount panels for the new 2015 Mustang chassis. Much better quality than those other Ford parts I talked about. If you buy one of the first 4,000 or so, I made sure your left motor mount won't fall off the chassis.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Devyl posted:

Went into work today to find myself surrounded by motor mount panels for the new 2015 Mustang chassis. Much better quality than those other Ford parts I talked about. If you buy one of the first 4,000 or so, I made sure your left motor mount won't fall off the chassis.

Hear that, Revs? Time to upgrade!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

You Am I posted:

Why are you lot talking about summer for? It's winter time at the moment you crazy people!

Yeah but it WOULD be summer conditions for most of them

Okay so bringing it in the chat thread - so I know about smoke tunes for power but since when did they start to be used in a flagrant display of being an obnoxious rear end in a top hat? Do these dicks actually realise how pathetic they actually are? I'm kinda surprised I only found out about this today but I'm also surprised no one doing this can work out they arent being smart, they are just being stupid dicks that deserve a punch in the mouth?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Cat Terrist posted:

Yeah but it WOULD be summer conditions for most of them

Okay so bringing it in the chat thread - so I know about smoke tunes for power but since when did they start to be used in a flagrant display of being an obnoxious rear end in a top hat? Do these dicks actually realise how pathetic they actually are? I'm kinda surprised I only found out about this today but I'm also surprised no one doing this can work out they arent being smart, they are just being stupid dicks that deserve a punch in the mouth?

If you're talking about rolling coal, it's generally referred to as 'prius repellant'. It's commonly done by the kind of people who think the US should not have a black man as president. Or as a free citizen.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I suppose it would be futile to try to explain that drivers of vehicles that literally use coal as a fuel source try to avoid black smoke as it generally means they are using too much coal

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So another really late night. Got a crazy late night rush, didn't even get back from my last delivery until 30 min after close - my last two "doubles" (2 orders on one trip) were nearly 10 miles apart from each other on opposite ends of our delivery area. GM, couple of waitstaff, and I have a couple of drinks and :420: in the parking lot afterwards, before attacking all the cleaning poo poo.

A couple of hours later, our company maintenance guy shows up to finish up some work (our franchise has a dedicated maint guy that travel from region to region within TX to do non-emergency maintenance - he generally shows up around 3am and knock out as much as he can before open, and he's usually in town for about a week every month). He'd been in a few days ago, after everyone had left... when he came in tonight, he walked up to my GM and said "hey, you should know I found weed in the office the other night". Boss asks where it is, turns out maint dude hid it (after informing the area manager and owner :saddowns: ). Boss makes a scene about how he's pretty sure he knows who it belongs to, and they're in deep poo poo.

Maint guy walks off. Boss asks if it's mine, I tell him hell no, he knows I never bring mine inside, and he knows drat well I smoke good poo poo (he's smoked with me before), not that crap (nor would I be carrying such a tiny amount - this wasn't even enough for a decent bowl). I ask to smell it - and know right away who it belongs to. Didn't name names, but boss already knew who it belongs to (closing mgr from that night). Boss and I walk outside, boss basically says "I got free weed because <maint guy> didn't want to risk walking it out to the dumpster, awesome! AND I get to rip <other mgr> a new rear end in a top hat over it!"

mafoose posted:

I'm in Tucson AZ, except for monsoon season, it is stupid dry out here. If I had a choice I'd have an AC system and evap cooler for the house. In the spring and fall, basically when it is still under 100° with low humidity, they work magnificently.

My dad's house (in El Paso) has both swamp and refrigerated ac systems (it was a demo house when the neighborhood was built in the 80s). The garage even has vents/return air ducts, despite not being insulated. They have those blocked off for obvious reasons; they're never in there unless they're parking the cars, he barely knows which end of a hammer does what.

They've never used the swamp coolers though, and I'm sure they lose a lot of cool air through the sheet-metal block off plates.

Motronic posted:

That's by jurisdiction, and I can assure you that putting a condensate drain into the public sewer is not allowed (and hasn't been for decades) around here. Some people still have condensate going into their weeping tile, which is tied to the public sewer. That is also no longer allowed.

Ours is tied into the house drain, with an overflow that drains through a pipe sticking out of an eve (an overflow switch was added when the new outside unit + coils were installed though, so the overflow drain is a backup of a backup now).

The restaurant I work in was built in 2008 - the HVAC RTUs all drain into pipes sticking out of the wall a couple of feet above the mop sink, same with most restaurants I've worked in. The walk-in cooler drains into a floor drain, same with all the stand-alone refrigeration.

One restaurant I worked in had the walk-in tied into the drain for the bathroom sink (tied into it above the trap). It was always fun to give the pipe a good yank if someone was taking a long time in there (since it drained a bit slow... and popped right out with a good yank from inside the cooler, so there's suddenly a bunch of cold water coming at you). One coworker came out screaming with cocaine all over her face and soaked pants when I did that once, screaming about how she blew her line all over the place. I wasn't sure if I should laugh my rear end off and/or fire her. GM thought it was worthy of a write-up for her, but found it too drat hilarious to fire her (.. that time).

In high humidity areas, where are you supposed to run condensation drains for the HVAC? I know my portable unit (which is an 8k BTU unit) puts out over a gallon a day. In theory, it has a condensation pump that sprays it out of the exhaust hose (which goes out the window); in reality, the pump is a piece of poo poo that makes a ton of noise and doesn't do anything, and I've run into a lot of people on YouTube with the same problem. Solution is to just unplug the pump and empty it every time it bitches about being full.

If it were a proper window unit (it would be if I didn't have indoor wood shutters), I would have had to find a way to channel the water away from the shrubs in front of the windows, unless I wanted a swamp.

Fucknag posted:

Even fans didn't help; it was just blowing the hot, sticky air right back on you. Our fridge is brand new, but even so it was stuggling to keep the inside temp below 40; any hotter and we'd have had spoiled food like STR mentioned.

Mechanical A/C is an absolute necessity anywhere it gets humid regularly (the entire South). At least we don't really worry about heating bills here, most years there's maybe 2-4 weeks where it's cold enough to need more than sweatpants and socks to be comfortably warm.

Looking back at my Nest emails, we went 1-2 weeks at a time without the furnace coming on. In December and January. And actually had to use the a/c a couple of times in December. But when we get a cold snap...

After delivering for a few hours when the roads were solid ice.... you can see I had to smack the ice off around the fuel door :argh:

And yeah, fans only go so far. They help a lot if it's not super muggy (at least they're helping evaporate the sweat off of you faster), but once it's humid...

I've got family in Pocatello.

And they're liberals.

I don't get how they live up there, aside from the beautiful scenery (they're way out in the sticks).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jul 10, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Southern Idaho tends to actually sway towards the liberal side of things, thanks in part to Boise State University, and California transplants. It's up in the north (north of, say, Riggins or so) that things swing fully the other way. Let's put it this way: most of the north of the state, when I was romping around in my ACUs (field training, driving to the field training, which could be in the middle of nowhere, whatever), most of the populace wanted to suck my oh-so-all-american soldier cock just for stopping at a Chevron for fuel, because a large portion tends to view us in this impossible holy light. You go too deep into the woods, though, and you get people who will literally shoot at you because you're a soldier and obviously the only reason a soldier would be on a rural highway is because you're one of Obama's Death Squads coming to take their guns. There was an incident at the college in my hometown (LCSC in Lewiston) where kids with those backpacks you get from the recruiters were beaten by people belonging to a particularly deep sect of something.

To put it another way: stay the gently caress out of Kamiah or Orofino if you're not a bible-thumping tea partier (I had my tires slashed once when visiting my fiancee's mother in Kamiah, because I had Nez Perce, not Lewis, county plates, so I'm told). The reason they did so (again, as I was told) is because Nez Perce and Latah counties swing more left, or "less right," and anyone who could belong to a county that voted for Obama is anyone they didn't want in their town. Latah county is the only bluish one in the north, and Nez Perce is the less-red one just south of it. Orofino and Kamiah are east and south of Nez Perce county.

(when I say "the south sways towards the left," that's in comparison to the rest of the state. Ada county (Boise) is that pink one in the southwest, and drat near a third of the state lives there, 500k out of 1.5 mil)

Idaho, especially the north, is a goddamn loving beautiful state, with everything from plains, mountains, river basins, and rolling farmland. It's suck a loving shame about some areas, though.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jul 10, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's 28-30C in most of Denmark, with a UV index of 6.5 (highest ever recorded in Denmark is just over 7), humidity around 60.

I know that's probably peanuts to some of you, but as a typical cold-acclimated northerner, I am quite literally dying right now.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
As a recent resident of Phoenix, I need that to be an official SA emote.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Geirskogul posted:

As a recent resident of Phoenix, I need that to be an official SA emote.

For the low low price of just $29.95 it can be.
Remember:

Lowtax posted:

LESS POSTING

MORE BUYING

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

HotCanadianChick posted:

If you're talking about rolling coal, it's generally referred to as 'prius repellant'. It's commonly done by the kind of people who think the US should not have a black man as president. Or as a free citizen.

So the shallow end of the gene pool or oxygen theives.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

^^^ More or less.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/SOOT-LIFE-inc/489891367728790

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

KozmoNaut posted:

It's 28-30C in most of Denmark, with a UV index of 6.5 (highest ever recorded in Denmark is just over 7), humidity around 60.

I know that's probably peanuts to some of you, but as a typical cold-acclimated northerner, I am quite literally dying right now.

Yeah, slowly melting here at work - A/C isn't doing what it should do, so that's turned off (really helps sitting underneath the flat roof on the building), so the only option is opened window and a fan (which only blows in warm air from the outside).

This isn't nice at all :(

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

KozmoNaut posted:

Yesterday was 98F (36.6C) with 88% humidity. Pretty much no wind all day. This is typical hot for this time of year in the area. A/C is a MUST.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
One time at raceway park in New Jersey during a combo of diesel nationals/swap meet/ monster truck show I witnessed a man possibly drunk hop into the bed of a lifted dodge ram with stacks stick his face in said stack and had the driver roll coal. Aside from the hilarious sight of a man trying not to cough to death why would anybody do this.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Torn Quad Jones posted:

One time at raceway park in New Jersey during a combo of diesel nationals/swap meet/ monster truck show I witnessed a man possibly drunk hop into the bed of a lifted dodge ram with stacks stick his face in said stack and had the driver roll coal. Aside from the hilarious sight of a man trying not to cough to death why would anybody do this.

Cancer fetishist?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

KozmoNaut posted:

It's 28-30C

That's t-shirt and shorts weather here. Seriously. As long as there's the tiniest breeze, or you have a fan, that's perfect.

6.5 :laffo: I would probably look at least dark hispanic there (until I took off my shirt - people would be simultaneously blinded and run in fear from the irish sweater vest).

Sigma X posted:

Yesterday was 98F (36.6C) with 88% humidity. Pretty much no wind all day. This is typical hot for this time of year in the area. A/C is a MUST.

99 with a bit lower humidity. Slight breeze at night.

My car started running a bit warm if I ran the a/c, but would drop almost to the middle of the gauge if I drove without the a/c (slightly above with a/c off, almost 2/3 with it on). I think I have a thermostat replacement in my very near future. :sigh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 10, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Torn Quad Jones posted:

Al Jolson cosplay on the cheap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

freelop posted:

I suppose it would be futile to try to explain that drivers of vehicles that literally use coal as a fuel source try to avoid black smoke as it generally means they are using too much coal

It's the same as hellaflush tards, they saw that more camber = go faster on racetrack, and more smoke = more power in a diesel, so time to crank it up to 11 and be aggressively ignorant about everything.

Same obsession with (idiotic) form over function, even to the point of reducing function, trashy catchphrase/meme stickers, and gaudy stick-on bullshit.

• Locked thread