Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

goldboilermark posted:

I don't really know what you're talking about to be honest, I just think bringing up the topic of HKers and Mainlanders is a can of worms. I don't know what this 3rd party stuff or race is coming from, I have directly heard both parties complain passionately about the other to me personally and they were the same race so I don't really know what you are talking about.

Oh geeze here we go again :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

caberham posted:

I'm literally at a loss for words. I'm not trying to get into an argument about this, it just makes no sense at all.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Hong Kong is Taiwanese territory

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I guess I'll just bow out about now :ohdear:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

goldboilermark posted:

Sorry, gbm. I have some bad news... After reviewing some of your recent posts, including one where you said "she went to the wc", it appears your brain is broken.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

synertia posted:

You've made a good first step by leaving the country of China.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I apologize for my nonsensical posting :I

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I'm sorry I asked.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

It's ok you're just waiting for the bus.

Chantilly Say posted:

I'm sorry I asked.

It's ok this is a perfectly normal conversation 'round these parts.

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 9, 2014

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MeramJert posted:

It's ok you're just waiting for the bus.

I'm on it now :toot:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Chantilly Say posted:

I'm sorry I asked.

I told you not to come here!

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Confession time, my daughter is becoming a Weishi micro celebrity.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Chantilly Say posted:

I'm sorry I asked.

Yesterday we got into a heated argument about fish that lasted a few hours and that's time I'll never get back.

TheBuilder posted:

Confession time, my daughter is becoming a Weishi micro celebrity.

What's weishi?

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
China's Vine ripoff.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Chantilly Say posted:

I'm sorry I asked.

No no, it's ok to ask. Are you thinking of moving to Suzhou for a job? What are the details?

goldboilermark posted:

No no, don't stop. Please, do go on :justpost:

goldboilermark posted:

I don't really know what you're talking about to be honest, I just think bringing up the topic of HKers and Mainlanders is a can of worms. I don't know what this 3rd party stuff or race is coming from, I have directly heard both parties complain passionately about the other to me personally and they were the same race so I don't really know what you are talking about.

Please do go on. I'm sure we all love to hear some passionate arguments or some of the things you have heard. You can be honest with us and honest with your feelings!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

caberham posted:

No no, it's ok to ask. Are you thinking of moving to Suzhou for a job? What are the details?

Thinking of it as a possibility, no actual plans made. I'm applying for teaching jobs now and while I'm applying mostly to Shanghai I also saw some listings for jobs in Suzhou and wondered what that would be like. I just wanted to know if anybody in the thread had a "this is what Suzhou is like to live in" post up their sleeve.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I will be in Chengdu the end of August and please do not talk about modding in real life, I barely talk about it on the forum I mod I sure as poo poo don't want to actually have words exit my mouth about it

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Are we allowed to talk about Skyrim or Fallout mods? I've got some pretty sweet China mods for the latter.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Talk about whatever you want, it's a free country.

oh wait

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Isn't skyrim and fallout pre modded for China?

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
All the cool people left Chengdu, sorry friend.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
No I didn't?

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
That was my trap to get you to post.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

No it's true.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Chantilly Say posted:

Thinking of it as a possibility, no actual plans made. I'm applying for teaching jobs now and while I'm applying mostly to Shanghai I also saw some listings for jobs in Suzhou and wondered what that would be like. I just wanted to know if anybody in the thread had a "this is what Suzhou is like to live in" post up their sleeve.

Of more concern than whether you'll be living in Suzhou or Shanghai is the nature of your prospective employment. Talk about that.

Also, when did you graduate?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

GuestBob posted:

Of more concern than whether you'll be living in Suzhou or Shanghai is the nature of your prospective employment. Talk about that.

Also, when did you graduate?

I don't mean to turn the thread into jobs counseling. I'm applying to schools through a few different avenues for work as an English teacher; I got my BA last year and worked a few different jobs before doing a CELTA course this summer. I'm applying mostly to schools in Shanghai, but also a few in Shenzhen, one in Chengdu, and a few in Suzhou. Suzhou seemed to be the city about which I could find the least written about expat perspectives, so I asked here. I haven't gotten to the point of formal offers at this point, so I'm not saying "I have offers from these places, please friendly goons help me make choices," I'm just exploring possibilities.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I've never been to Suzhou, but I've never heard anyone say anything bad about it. It will definitely be cheaper than Shanghai, and you could make almost as much money there and come out ahead. If it isn't exciting enough it's close to a lot of places that will be. That is why you don't need to worry about it.

The reason it matters when you graduated is that if you graduated (with your first BA) less than 2 years ago you cannot legally get a work visa for teaching English. This means that you will either commit fraud in your visa application (lying about your experience, graduation date, and/or age) or you will be working on an illegal visa. The first one may mean that you end up spending a lot of money on your visa, depending on what the employer has agreed to pay. The second means you WILL end up spending a lot of money on your visa one way or another, you're going to be taking a lot of trips out of the country to renew it, your time in China won't count for any legal purpose where how long you've been in China matters, and you could be fined, deported, and banned from China at any moment. Edit: Your employer will have you by the balls, and be able to gently caress you pretty much any way they want, because you will have no legal recourse; if your visa isn't legal, you can't complain about poo poo in China.

If you have not been working for two years after your degree, preferably in some education-related, degree-required capacity, stay the gently caress out of China.

edit: Okay then. Stay the gently caress out of China. Start looking again next year.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 10, 2014

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
lol I can't believe how much they have raised the requirements :(

really sucks because if they were as high as they are now i would not have been able to work in china after school

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

VideoTapir posted:

The reason it matters when you graduated is that if you graduated (with your first BA) less than 2 years ago you cannot legally get a work visa for teaching English. This means that you will either commit fraud in your visa application (lying about your experience, graduation date, and/or age) or you will be working on an illegal visa. The first one may mean that you end up spending a lot of money on your visa, depending on what the employer has agreed to pay. The second means you WILL end up spending a lot of money on your visa one way or another, you're going to be taking a lot of trips out of the country to renew it, your time in China won't count for any legal purpose where how long you've been in China matters, and you could be fined, deported, and banned from China at any moment.

If you have not been working for two years after your degree, preferably in some education-related, degree-required capacity, stay the gently caress out of China.

edit: Okay then. Stay the gently caress out of China. Start looking again next year.

What? This is the first I've heard of this, including spending some time talking to the CELTA instructors about jobs and where I wanted to go, and they knew when I graduated.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Chantilly Say posted:

What? This is the first I've heard of this, including spending some time talking to the CELTA instructors about jobs and where I wanted to go, and they knew when I graduated.

Well, good thing you found out now.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Chantilly Say posted:

Had they worked in China since 2012?

Some of this stuff was technically true before that, but you could get away with ignoring it. Some of it is new.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Yes, well, sometimes the employer commits fraud on your behalf to ensure SAFEA issues your Work Permit (which you need when you apply for a Z Visa).

The "two year post graduation" experience requirement is increasingly being enforced by many provinces, even in Henan, so someone at some stage in the process someone is going to make a "mistake" on a form which falls to your benefit.

The only visa that allows you to legally work within China is a Z Visa, no other category works. So don't get handed off with a Business Visa or some other such nonsense.

You can PM the name of potential employers (in Chinese) and I'll check their Alien Employment License Number for you, just to make sure they can legally hire you and aren't using a third party or agency.

Are you looking private sector or public sector? School or training center? etc. etc.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

VideoTapir posted:

Had they worked in China since 2012?

Some of this stuff was technically true before that, but you could get away with ignoring it. Some of it is new.

Okay. Sorry to waste you guys' time with questions; I'll explore other options. It's annoying that I didn't find this out myself sooner.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Chantilly Say posted:

Okay. Sorry to waste you guys' time with questions; I'll explore other options. It's annoying that I didn't find this out myself sooner.

It's still possible for someone to employ you on a Z Visa by doing something illegal or giving someone a backhander.

This recruiter:

http://www.anesl.com/schools/index.asp

Is oft held to be part owned by some people related to senior government staff (conflict of interest, ahem?) and if you want to send up a trial balloon to see how good your chances are then you can try by applying for a job and then asking them directly, in as many words, whether your experience will be an issue.

I wouldn't suggest actually making use of an agent or recruiter under any other circumstances though, because you shall be hosed like it's Mardigay in Canal Street.

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 10, 2014

AfroNinja
Oct 24, 2006
I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT EXPLOITING WOMEN BECAUSE I HAVE A SMALL DICK AND DESERVE TO TAKE A BULLET IN THE SKULL

caberham posted:

One of us one of us ONE OF US

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

GuestBob posted:

It's still possible for someone to employ you on a Z Visa by doing something illegal or giving someone a backhander.

This recruiter:

http://www.anesl.com/schools/index.asp

Is part owned by some people related to senior government staff (conflict of interest, ahem?) and if you want to send up a trial balloon to see how good your chances are then you can try by applying for a job and then asking them directly, in as many words, whether your experience will be an issue.

I wouldn't suggest actually making use of an agent or recruiter under any other circumstances though, because you shall be hosed like it's Mardigay in Canal Street.

So, that's the only recruiter you'd say is a valid bet?

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Chantilly Say posted:

So, that's the only recruiter you'd say is a valid bet?

Nope. Just that they're rumored to have the most pull. It's all Provincially run though so you might find that some places have enough sway with the local SAFEA office to squeeze you through.

Normally, people can blag away a lack of education related experience as long as the date on the degree is over two years old. If it's less than that then you're relying on people essentially breaking the rules.

You are going to need to be careful though because this could land you in some ropey situations.

Tell you what, try Disney English as well and see what they say. The big chains have more money floating around than they know what to do with and they can sometimes swing things they want, especially in Western and Central Provinces.

On that last point, I'd kiss Shanghai goodbye. They know what they're doing there.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

GuestBob posted:

Nope. Just that they're rumored to have the most pull. It's all Provincially run though so you might find that some places have enough sway with the local SAFEA office to squeeze you through.

Normally, people can blag away a lack of education related experience as long as the date on the degree is over two years old. If it's less than that then you're relying on people essentially breaking the rules.

You are going to need to be careful though because this could land you in some ropey situations.

Tell you what, try Disney English as well and see what they say. The big chains have more money floating around than they know what to do with and they can sometimes swing things they want, especially in Western and Central Provinces.

On that last point, I'd kiss Shanghai goodbye. They know what they're doing there.

Okay, on the balance of it I'm gonna say thanks for saving me from getting into a bad situation. I'll go somewhere else and look at China again in a couple years.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Or just go work somewhere else for a year first (literally any degree-required education-related job will do) and actually qualify for the legit jobs.

Another thing to look out for re: visas, especially Z visas, is where a school isn't allowed to hire foreigners, but they pay some other entity that IS eligible to get the visa for them. Apparently New Oriental is doing that these days. I don't know if the teacher can get in trouble over that, but the school can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Chantilly Say posted:

Okay, on the balance of it I'm gonna say thanks for saving me from getting into a bad situation. I'll go somewhere else and look at China again in a couple years.

A wise choice given the options.