Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capt. J. Linebeck
Dec 28, 2012

For those of you who are interested, you can see the RTX Retsupurae panel livestream here: http://rtxevent.com/rtxlive/ on Channel 3. It'll be starting in about 20 minutes from now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Capt. J. Linebeck posted:

For those of you who are interested, you can see the RTX Retsupurae panel livestream here: http://rtxevent.com/rtxlive/ on Channel 3. It'll be starting in about 20 minutes from now

Doesn't seem like it's happening, as the stream has been offline for sometime now. Does anyone know why?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

RefinedUndefined posted:

Doesn't seem like it's happening, as the stream has been offline for sometime now. Does anyone know why?

A lil' twitter research indicates they won't be streaming but might be recording.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Suspicious Dish posted:

I lead a very busy life. With the constant rotation of work and school, I barely have any time left for me. I spend that little time on pretty much everything. Playing/watching sports, hanging out with friends, dating, gaming. The thing is, when I sit down to game, I wanna try out a variety of games. That makes it hard for me because if I'm not in the mood to play the game I'm lp'ing, I can't record. So I barely post videos which does not contribute to the growth of my audience. So tell me, how do you balance your real life stuff and youtube. I'd love to know.

I've been getting more and more life-busy in the last few months for various reasons and have to schedule time to LP games now. I record up to four "episodes" in a sitting, edit the sound and video the same day and post them over the course of a week.

I think my recording schedule and update schedule are a bit more aggressive than most other people I watch here, I'll find a thread a couple months after it was posted expecting it was nearly finished only to find it's four episodes in. I think a strict schedule like mine used to be sort of standard, otherwise I have no idea why I started doing it that way.

I've noticed that as my schedule has constricted I have started LPing games I want to play anyways. I was already playing Battlefield 4 all the time at the start of that LP (and still am), and FEAR 2 is a game I wanted to replay for a long time. Same thing with the first two Red Faction games.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
fyi that was just an unsourced quote from /r/letsplay

http://www.reddit.com/r/letsplay/comments/203yo8/how_do_balance_real_life_duties_and_lping/

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

kidcoelacanth posted:

A lil' twitter research indicates they won't be streaming but might be recording.

It was recorded. I am kinda beat for some reason. Talking to people in person is hard!

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I hate to be the one to turn the discussion back to Darksydephil but well:

loving SERIOUSLY?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZIJEhH0cUo

:love:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

David D. Davidson posted:

I hate to be the one to turn the discussion back to Darksydephil but well:

loving SERIOUSLY?
This is a thing? People are talking about DSP's couch?

What is special about this couch?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
apparently after he did a tour of his new place he showed that he had his couch set up in kind of a weird way and people were commenting on it and that is how Phil chose to respond.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nihilarian posted:

I keep reading "couch" as something else and it's terrible.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Nihilarian posted:

According to the comments, he set up his sectional couch in the middle of the room instead of along a wall so that it's in the way regardless of which direction he enters or what he wants to do.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

David D. Davidson posted:

apparently after he did a tour of his new place he showed that he had his couch set up in kind of a weird way and people were commenting on it and that is how Phil chose to respond.

So Phil moved?

I... I never even got to say goodbye... :(

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Well viewing his content from such a close proximity made you sick. So now that he's gone i guess now you can get back to doing that "watch all his LP's" thing you were doing eh? :v:

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...

If I could get hangovers, today would be hell for me.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

chitoryu12 posted:

I keep reading "couch" as something else and it's terrible.

There's a "Couch Street" in Portland, Oregon, and that's how you pronounce it. The way you keep thinking.

Why?

Who the gently caress can say. I'm FROM Portland and I don't even loving know, so...

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Buttass posted:

There's a "Couch Street" in Portland, Oregon, and that's how you pronounce it. The way you keep thinking.

Why?

Who the gently caress can say. I'm FROM Portland and I don't even loving know, so...

It's named after a guy named Couch that pronounced it that way about a hundred and fifty years before "cooch" was a thing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dr. Buttass posted:

Why?

Actually if I skimmed past it I saw "crotch".

shinmai
Oct 9, 2007

CHK Instruction
So Awesome Incarnate, who was mentioned waaaay in the beginning of the thread, the dude who made a big deal of being the first third ever Let's Player, with his scarecam FEAR videos, has recently quit Youtube and gaming, after apparently spending a whopping $37k on playing video games for the internet. The reason he cites is that he's been "denied viewers" and makes mention to some sort of vague conspiracy by Twitch and YouTube to keep his and other "non-chosen" (his words) users' viewer counts down.

Having stumbled checked out some of his Final Fantasy X HD Remater videos I don't get his deal at all. He specifically states, his "playthroughs" are commentary-less, but he STILL puts in the facecam. In the wrong aspect ratio. And checking his past broadcasts, he usually seems to try and play through games in one sitting, if they're less than 24 hours to beat, apparently. :stare:
But yeah, it's probably the secret TwitchTube cabal who's keeping him down, not the hours and hours of unedited, no-commentary, scarecam "LPs" of JRPGs and daylong playthroughs of Deadpool and Watch Dogs...

What still boggles my mind is how he managed to spend tens of thousands of dollars on doing this.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABzXSClRtog Oh...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

. And checking his past broadcasts, he usually seems to try and play through games in one sitting, if they're less than 24 hours to beat, apparently.

Well, at least we know that he has nothing better to do with his time.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Holy poo poo this guy is a chode.

"I didn't sell out. I got promoted so I make lots of money so gently caress it, gonna play video games and hang out with my girlfriend, now check out my sweet gaming pad at my parent's house (but I'm not lame I'm really pretty cool since I'm just helpin' my dads yo"

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Burton Vs. FEAR of not getting any views.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Cr1tikal's videos are extremely hit or miss but I found that this one had some funny moments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoftImSXgmI

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

watho posted:

Cr1tikal's videos are extremely hit or miss but I found that this one had some funny moments.

When Cr1tikal is "on", his videos are hilarious. I really enjoyed his Sumotori video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ag82wNXjYA

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

watho posted:

I want this game so bad.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Blind Sally posted:

When Cr1tikal is "on", his videos are hilarious. I really enjoyed his Sumotori video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ag82wNXjYA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEqhzMVWYtk
This is probably my favorite non-infomercial video of his.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
There's something about Cr1tikal's voice and delivery that I love. He's just one of those people I've never subscribed to, but check his channel every now and again for a good laugh.

Some friends of mine from my church mentioned something about starting a Let's Play channel. I checked them out, and they're just typical YouTube faire. Seems like they just go for ~10 minute episodes, and generally just mess around. Their commentary isn't that great, and yeah, they're just starting up, but I don't really forsee them changing the formula up much.

One thing that really bothers me, though, they have a little translucent bar on the side of all their videos that is more distracting than anything, where they link to what I guess are what they feel are the highlights of the video? Worse of all, the option for "hide video bar" seemingly does nothing. (if you care to see)

I plan on giving them a few tips here and there, hopefully they'll consider a few things.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Roar posted:

"OH NO THE BROTHERHOOD OF STEEL HAS ENTERED THE FRAY"

This guy toes the line between awful and hilarious, this video has been pretty good thus far.

e:

watho posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEqhzMVWYtk
This is probably my favorite non-infomercial video of his.

i am literally crying

not even the generic loving meme "i'm crying" tumblr bullshit, literally tears

this is the best video

Roar fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 14, 2014

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
oh wow quote sure isn't edit

Roar fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 14, 2014

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Gamasutra has an article up about the ethics of paying YouTube LPers to play games (let me know if the link is broken, I can't get there on my work computer to check). The writer gathered comments from people with sizable followings and asked them to state whether it was OK for a game company to offer financial incentive to LP a game.

The weird thing is that though it was far more likely for someone with over 5000 subscribers to be offered or have taken publisher money to make content about a game they were just as likely as people under 5000 subscribers (of whom only about 2% surveyed had taken any money from a game company), both groups split about 60-40 saying that people shouldn't take developer money. Of those who said that it was OK to take that money a common response seems to have been "only if it is disclosed that there was some form of payment."

I don't really know what to think on this one. Many publishers have PR wings that push for YouTube coverage. EA stepped into it a couple times last year after a promotional campaign on Battlefield 4 leaked showing EA offered YouTubers extra cash for making videos showcasing Levolution in some of the multiplayer maps. I've never seen the general YouTube crowd as anything but mercenary; publishing videos hours after a game comes out, cross promoting themselves and begging for likes/subscribes to increase their rankings. Why is Publisher Money a bad thing to them?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Lazyfire posted:

I've never seen the general YouTube crowd

That's because it doesn't exist. YouTube is a video hosting platform, not any one community. They aren't "generally mercenary", because there's no "general" about it.

For someone with a well-paying job who does LPs on the side for fun, like me, taking publisher money is probably an annoying process of invoicing and contracts, I would be letting my viewers down, and I would feel pressured to restrain myself to not saying anything bad about the company who's paying me. A lot of hassle for selling out, with no real gain.

I'd say that's a good portion of those people.

Not to mention that if you're building an exciting game, like one of the recent popular Kickstarters (Heart Forth, Alicia, SUPERHOT, A Hat in Time), simply sending them a beta out of courtesy will suffice. No need for the paycheck.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Lazyfire posted:

Why is Publisher Money a bad thing to them?

Two reasons;

1) Doing your own thing vs being told what to do.

2) Being viewed as a sellout and corporate shill.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.
Link didn't open for me, but I feel big name LPers/Critics on YouTube dislike publisher money because it compromises their reputation, and makes them appear as a sell-out. This is especially true for critics.

TotalBiscuit brought this up during the XB1M13 controversy, where Microsoft and Machinima were trying to offer pay incentives for not saying bad things about the XboxOne in this video, and I think he sums it up nicely: Disclosure is important. That's why so many blogged about XB1M13, because it specifically prevented that.

If you ARE being paid by a publisher to cover a game, you wanna let your viewers know. Not many like people being dishonest to them, and it's potentially a great way to lose a lot of viewers and support. A publisher boost will help in the short run, but viewers and ad revenue (and perhaps merchandise) is more long term.

That said, I feel most LPers/critics will only cover games they're interested in, or fits the 'gimmick' of their channel.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The internet just hates promotion. A lot. I've read a couple stories about game developers getting turned on by Reddit and such in the blink of an eye just because they had the gall to announce that their product was for pay rather than free.

I definitely think disclosure is important, though this is more true of reviewers like TB than it is of LPers. But I think a lot of it is that they simply realize the reality of the situation that the internet will mulch you if you dare to participate in promoting a business or product.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I think a lot of the promotion of games is pretty subtle on YouTube. Things like EA's promotion campaigns were generally not well known for some time, but in recent months EA has required people disclose that the videos eligible for money from them are being put on YouTube as part of that program, most noticeably with videos of Battlefield: Hardline's beta.

There's a really good chance that there are a ton of people getting copies of games or getting offered money to do some videos for games. It seems like the kind of thing that large publishers would do instead of startups or smaller houses. I could see 2K paying people to do Borderlands videos, but I don't see anyone paying for PAYDAY 2 videos in the same vein.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Suspicious Dish posted:

That's because it doesn't exist. YouTube is a video hosting platform, not any one community. They aren't "generally mercenary", because there's no "general" about it.

I think I agree... I'd just add one sort of caveat is that there is a notion of a "general" YouTube LP audience and content provider. People like TBFP, Game Grumps, Northernlion, etc. have a sort of established "these are what my videos are, this is what you can expect from this channel." But there's also a large group of people just out in the ether who have a somewhat generalized notion of what LP is (something like "you just play games and talk over them, right?") and calling that "general" or "default" is useful in describing that large group?

Maybe?

I don't know. I have these pie charts...

Samiz
Sep 10, 2013
I personally think that people get pissed when they find out an LP:er is sponsored because they feel used; used by the LP:er to make money from a developer just so they can sell their video games

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Actually, do people consider giving a free game to LPers to be "promotion", even if it's no strings attached? It is called a "promotional copy" after all.

Samiz
Sep 10, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

Actually, do people consider giving a free game to LPers to be "promotion", even if it's no strings attached? It is called a "promotional copy" after all.

I think people are angry at LP:ers getting free games just to get them to promote it extra hard and not mention anything bad about it; which I can agree is incredibly poo poo but it's practically just like watching an infomercial on TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Depends on the person probably. There are some people that will probably whore out an opinion for cash. There are others that would probably still say what they want even if they are doing a paid promotion.

Trust is pretty fragile in the internet. Rent it out for a few bucks and might lose it completely.

• Locked thread