Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Are they going to be the bad kind of AI controlled turret (Tribes/TF2) that annihilates infantry on sight? Because if so here's hoping EMP nades disable them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

sitchelin posted:

Are they going to be the bad kind of AI controlled turret (Tribes/TF2) that annihilates infantry on sight? Because if so here's hoping EMP nades disable them.

Tribes never had THAT powerful of player controlled turrets. They were quite vulnerable.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

edit: wrong thread!

pakman fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 10, 2014

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

A Tartan Tory posted:

Also today I discovered that the Waterson NC zergs literally don't know about the secret sniping spots on AMP stations. :stare:

They don't know the tech plant locations either, this is going to be a fun education for them. :stare:

Edit: Just noticed NookNookNook in there lol.

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 10, 2014

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

AI turrets seem like they'd mainly just poo poo all over lone CQC infils/light assaults behind enemy lines which isn't something I feel like this game desperately needs.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Maybe if they had a slow and obvious indicator they were locking on to you and a relatively easily broken lock, to make them generally worthless against lone individuals, but something that you could set up overlooking a choke point to take potshots at people in bigger fights?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
On one hand I wouldn't mind having SOME sort of AI things going on. But then you gotta think with :soe: balancing either:

1: They'll be like ESP AI who can immediately lock onto you and wreck your poo poo like Far Cry 2 AI or

2: They'll be basically worthless, everyone will laugh at them and you'll be lucky to get a single kill. Like the AI guards in Guild Wars 2, utterly loving pointless besides giving free points to the enemy.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

If they made them like closer to low level TF2 turrets where it doesn't immediately bot you down instead of the inescapable PS1 Spitfires, that could work. Interesting to see how they want to implement them.

sitchelin posted:

Because if so here's hoping EMP nades disable them.

I remember the PS1 Spitfires would detect you throwing an EMP or an EMP hitting them directly as firing at them, and return fire through sensor shield on a cloaked, nonmoving Infil. :(

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

bunches of people posted:

ANT stuff
Oh, so it's like Euro Truck Simulator: War Zone Edition. That sounds unbelievably tedious but I guess someone might find it fun. :shrug:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I may be in the minority here, but I really don't want them to change tanks to a three person crew like they were in PS1. I like being able to drive the thing AND shoot the gun. If I was just a driver I'd be bored as gently caress. I'm kinda glad the Magrider is holding that back.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Gonkish posted:

I may be in the minority here, but I really don't want them to change tanks to a three person crew like they were in PS1. I like being able to drive the thing AND shoot the gun. If I was just a driver I'd be bored as gently caress. I'm kinda glad the Magrider is holding that back.

Prowlers would just siege mode and swap to the gun and wreck everyone else's poo poo and neither NC nor VS would bother to pull except as concentrated pushes.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Gonkish posted:

The idea is there would be another, far more powerful turret you could install that would require a dedicated gunner.

Higby said they have been talking about it for a long time, and it may still happen, but the Titan/Colossus/"bigfuckofftank" will be a big crew served monstrosity far earlier than we will see a 3 man MBT.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
AI-controlled turrets would make attacking bases a lot less painful. Plonk one down on the opposite side of a mail tube and use it to assist with camping. Get friends to make a ring of them and it forces the victim to remember where they are and then suicide-explosive them on their second try.

Still more concerned with how ANT runs are going to play out, given that it'd give something for air power to completely mulch, and I'm not sure how interested the ghostcapping crowd is in being ~tactical~ by being lumped in with a big fat target doing nothing but guarding it since I get the impression that ghostcappers are afraid of being shot in a shooter game.
They'd really have to incentivize it through some kind of AOE EXP bubble, but still have the logic on it be smart enough to prevent exploiting that. Like, having a fully-stocked ANT sitting inside a garage giving people bonus EXP instead of putting its resources to use. It'd probably only reward the ANT's squad for a successful delivery and normal squad actions.

For tanks, making them more powerful in trade for more teamwork is fine by me. They could give the driver a fixed, semi-competent LMG or HMG like from the old game Infantry Online, which hosted a lot of vehicles that had pilot-only slots. Either that or make the EXP share more reasonable.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
If I bought a weapon with certs, would it stay unlocked on other servers? Or is it only when you buy them with real money?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Gonkish posted:

I think it would be OK if they kept the lightning as-is, but the MBTs were made more powerful (and expensive) with the driver/gunner/gunner changes. Especially if it meant the main gunner got a coaxial as well :getin:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Rookersh posted:

If I bought a weapon with certs, would it stay unlocked on other servers? Or is it only when you buy them with real money?

Real money only.

Nookovian-Red
Sep 13, 2002
I WILL NOT CLOSE THREAD IN Serious Hardware / Software Crap

Lassitude posted:

Speaking of which, in his stream he also said sunderers would get a shield they can slot that will allow the thing, when deployed, to be durable enough that one person will not be able to simply dump a bunch of mines/C4 on it and destroy it.

More sundy love. This might get crazy. Half price shielded sundies. A golden age of reliable sundy spawn points
is approaching.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Carteret posted:

The idea is there would be another, far more powerful turret you could install that would require a dedicated gunner.

Higby said they have been talking about it for a long time, and it may still happen, but the Titan/Colossus/"bigfuckofftank" will be a big crew served monstrosity far earlier than we will see a 3 man MBT.

The Magrider is still holding that back. Half the reason the Saron got changed was because of how good it made the Mag.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Nookovian-Red posted:

More sundy love. This might get crazy. Half price shielded sundies. A golden age of reliable sundy spawn points
is approaching.

Combine that with a reduction of vehicle and consumable(grenade/mine/c4) spam and I think we'll see infantry fights last longer and be full of less unfun bullshit. I'm really looking forward to the resource update.

Gonkish posted:

You're not in the minority at all, can you imagine how boring it'd be to "drive" a lockdown AP prowler?

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

I'd like to see a tank's main gun be given to the gunner, and the secondary be a front-mounted gun for the driver, and a survivability buff; I think it'd balance armor better, especially in the case of solo tankers. In the case of the Magrider, the gunner already has the good gun, so no real need for changes here :v:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The driver doesn't have the PPA what are you blathering about, nerd?! Get owned idiot scrublord.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Gonkish posted:

The driver doesn't have the PPA what are you blathering about, nerd?! Get owned idiot scrublord.

This. A million times this.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

loving PS1 tanks already, give the driver a front mounted AI gun, give the gunner the main gun and add a secondary gunner who mans the HMG on top. Keep the current 2 man system for medium tanks with the new 3 man crews being heavy tanks and then make a faction specific light tank that is an alternative to the lightening.

Gonkish posted:

Arghy you need to properly dunk on those shitties. You need to literally go full-Arghy on their asses. For the good of the game, the NC, and the server. You're the hero Emerald needs, but not the one it deserves.

I haven't brought myself to create a reddit account yet, i hope i dont get to that low point in life.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

But asking Arghy to make a reddit account means less Arghyposting for us. :(

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Westy do you know anything about how NC is adapting to the waterson merge. Like I'm used to demolishing them whenever I'm playing with GOKU, its business as usual but I'm wondering if there are any diamonds in the rough I should keep an eye out and roll with whenever I feel like playing NC. I got TROSS/Gauss SAW fever baby.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So yeah, when did they buff the poo poo out of the bulldog? There's no reason for it to beat the poo poo out of MBTs as much as they do.

For tanking spergy talk a super battle-tank with side-sponson cannon controlled by other people would be pretty hilarious.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Mark Brouhard posted:

Westy do you know anything about how NC is adapting to the waterson merge. Like I'm used to demolishing them whenever I'm playing with GOKU, its business as usual but I'm wondering if there are any diamonds in the rough I should keep an eye out and roll with whenever I feel like playing NC. I got TROSS/Gauss SAW fever baby.
There are a number of good midsized outfits but the bulk of the Waterson NC presence seems to be PHX, the TAS of Waterson. I hear The Iron Wolves are pretty good, but in my experience they're kinda in their Vanguards a lot. Basically when cont pops are equal NC needs to pray that 33% isn't filled up with TAS and PHX (in much the same way VS has to pray it isn't DaPP). If it isn't they're in good shape, if it is then VS is going to lure them into a farm.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Please don't insult TAS by comparing it to PHX.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
People interested in trying out a new empire should remember that next week is another double XP weekend. Plenty of people stack boosts and on top of alerts, it's easy to pull thousands of certs even without a subscription.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Erata posted:

People interested in trying out a new empire should remember that next week is another double XP weekend. Plenty of people stack boosts and on top of alerts, it's easy to pull thousands of certs even without a subscription.

Let's not go crazy, bud. Try hundreds.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

vigorous sodomy posted:

If you are playing VS its pretty much thousands, sorry you aren't part of the master race of Planetside 2.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

vigorous sodomy posted:

I think I made like 2,400 certs over the last double XP weekend on VS. It was insane.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Erata posted:

I think I made like 2,400 certs over the last double XP weekend on VS. It was insane.

I made at least 6 thousand being spacerich, so thousands is still probably accurate.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I lost track of all the certs I made. I am looking forward to another bout of double XP now that I am spacerich again.

Meanwhile, reading that PHX guy's posts in Negator's thread on the Emerald subreddit is GLORIOUS. He is incredibly defensive, and even when someone tries HELPING him he gets butthurt. It's amazing. Best part: "PHX had over 40 Platoon Leaders in the past week.", uttered like it was a good thing.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Hows the new NC Medic Assault rifle? What is it like 443 RPM or something hilarious?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

BadLlama posted:

Hows the new NC Medic Assault rifle? What is it like 443 RPM or something hilarious?

The Tross is boss.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

vigorous sodomy posted:

You should try gunning a battle galaxy during double xp. You can pretty effortlessly maintain 100,000+ SPH.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
I made 994 certs in one hour last double xp weekend by parking a repair/AMS Sundy in a tower under attack, and doing a decent job of shooting mans. I have a screenshot in the GOKU thread showing it (phone posting or I would link it). Thousands in a single day or a few hours is entirely possible.

Thank you PHX, thank you so much. Shoutout to squad boosters too- stay boosty my friends.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BadLlama posted:

The Tross is incredible. It lacks in dps but has loads of EVERYTHING else, and dps is a largely meaningless statistic in PS2 so the "downside" isn't even that

Every goon I've recommended it to has loved it, but most surprisingly the newer ones do really well with it to. It's not as niche and high skill as the stats make it seem. DPM smooths a lot of the more fiddly stuff out it seems, just like how bad hipfire/average accuracy LMGs can still perform well

Edit - all that said, the default Gauss Rifle is one of probably the top 3 overall guns in the entire game and you get it for free by being NC so don't feel like you NEED to upgrade

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scags
Nov 12, 2005
Are there any guns for the NC that are similar to the mini chain gun? I just loaded up a Terran character to test it out in VR, and this is the gun of my dreams. I love the whole 'no cof bloom' thing it has going on. I just don't want to play TR.

• Locked thread