Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

it's a joke account

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
drat. :(

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Tony Jowns posted:

You know, if Tony thinks imprisoning, starving and torturing people is "honourable" behaviour, maybe we've had his intentions on refugees wrong. Maybe he actually does think he's treating them honourably.
Well he had some glowing words to say about Japan's wartime behaviour so maybe that's the standard he's chosen to adopt.

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010

Readman posted:

I haven't been able to find anything so far - what is the reason for Palmer blocking the Carbon Bill?
I just caught Palmer's press conference from this morning, turns out he and the clerk of the senate have a different understanding of the constitution. The clerk advised PUP to withdraw the amendments as they would be unconstitutional if introduced in the senate, Clive disagrees and thinks they can be introduced in the senate. But he doesn't mind how the amendments get in and will vote for the repeal once an amended bill comes from the house.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I still can't get over the Japan thing. It really is probably the worst thing he's ever said.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Amethyst posted:

I still can't get over the Japan thing. It really is probably the worst thing he's ever said.

let's not go crazy here.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

hyperbowl posted:

I just caught Palmer's press conference from this morning, turns out he and the clerk of the senate have a different understanding of the constitution.

this is like saying that my dog and i have different understandings of differential calculus

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Those On My Left posted:

this is like saying that my dog and i have different understandings of differential calculus

It's the vibe of it.

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010

Those On My Left posted:

He certainly sounded wrong, but I can't remember exactly what the senate isn't allowed to do. He thinks his amendments aren't a tax, but they sound like one to me.

The government bill said the ACCC may impose fines of fixed amounts up to $1.1 million on business that don't pass on the savings of the tax repeal. Palmer's amendment will impose mandatory fines on gas and electricity providers that don't pass on the savings. Any provider that can't prove that it has passed on the savings will have to pay a penalty equal to 2.5 times the tax they didn't pay.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Amethyst posted:

"well that's one boat that got stopped" is right up there.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
^^^ "poo poo happens", "Take the easy way out", "Bad boss, bad father", the list goes loving on and on, why am I still surprised by the poo poo that explodes out of his face.

Those On My Left posted:

I don't think your dog ever claimed to understand differential calculus though.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

drat, this is amazing. Makes want to go out and buy a copy of the print version. It's like the Australian version of Dewey defeats Truman.

I wonder if they'll pull the article, the rerun it next week or whenever it's actually repealed?

JBark fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 10, 2014

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Nick Xenophon in Crikey today:

quote:

Don't blame the Senate -- or the crossbench -- for Australia's political malaise: Xenophon

This week the federal Parliament welcomed 12 new senators from around the country. If, as some have suggested, the new Senate resembles the cantina scene from Star Wars, full of colourful characters from all over the universe, then I must be sitting at the bar too, because I’ve had a front-row seat in the Senate for this week’s developments. The new senators, like the old, reflect Australia in all its diversity, and I look forward to working with all of them.

Lately some writers have questioned Australia’s ability to make big reforms and prosper given the apparent difficulty encountered by this government and the Labor one before it -- although for vastly different reasons. Some have spoken of a “malaise” in Australia’s politics and pointed fingers at the Senate as some kind of scapegoat. I can tell you now -- the malaise was there before the latest addition to the Senate.

In fact, I firmly believe the new crossbenchers are part of the solution to Australia’s sclerotic political system, not part of the problem. As a South Australian independent Senator since 2008 and an independent upper house member in South Australia’s Parliament before that, I’ve observed governments of both side pushing agendas, some successfully, some woefully. It is true that federal governments have encountered big problems setting reform goals and achieving them over the past decade. The current government’s problems are part of this malaise, but it begs the question -- why has this happened?

I believe the major parties are just reaping what they have sown, since the last term of the Howard government and the dysfunction of the Rudd-Gillard-Rudd era. Now the Abbott government has sailed onto rocks of its own making. The factors at play include mismanagement, bickering, ideology, pettiness, focus groups, an obsession with leadership and the opinion polls, a lack of common sense nor an eye for the big picture narrative. These are just some of the reasons Australians voted in a record crossbench of 18 senators at the last election, equating to 24% of the chamber.

ABC elections expert Antony Green has confirmed that the 2013 election was a new high in a 30-year climb in support for non-major parties, recorded at 21% support House of Representatives races and 32% for Senate races. While I have serious misgivings over some of the “preference whispering” between micro-parties -- and even the majors -- that can produce curious results, the overall vote for the two major political blocs and the Greens was approximated in the numbers on the floor of the Senate. Labor lost six senators, and all of them went to the new crossbench senators.

More noteworthy, given the complaints from the current government about having their “mandate” blocked, was the Liberal result in the Senate -- the worst of any incoming government. The PM now has fewer Liberal Senators than when he was opposition leader. His Senate Coalition team of 33 compares with John Howard’s final term team of 39 senators. That speaks volumes about the Prime Minister’s “mandate” but also suggests where the blame for Australia’s political malaise lies. Because the performance of the Coalition since taking government has only reinforced, not dispelled, Australians’ misgivings and cynicism about politics.

The budget in May was a stinker. As one senator reportedly told The Australian Financial Review this week, the budget was “in more poo poo than a Werribee duck”, referencing the coastal town south of Melbourne that hosts a sewage treatment plant. I have big policy problems with the budget, such as the Medicare co-payment and the cuts to auto sector workers, pensioners, social security, higher education, health, schools, foreign aid and renewable energy funding. But I’ve been gobsmacked at the blind-siding of the whole country by this government. When did the government tell the states they were stripping a lazy $80 billion out of their future health and education budgets? When did the government tell the auto sector it would drain a further $600 million out of industry assistance (that makes $1.1 billion cut in total) that could have gone to restructuring ahead of the exit of the car makers? When did the government tell the universities it was going to cut 20% from federal funding for undergraduate courses and deregulate the sector? When did the government tell self-funded retirees it was taking away their modest seniors’ supplement?

Never, that’s when. Until budget night, that was. The subtext is all about mistrust of the electorate. I’m tipping Budget 2.0, sometime soon. And the government won’t get that through unless it restores trust with the voters.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.

Freudian Slip posted:

A topic that may get the thread actually debating among ourselves.

Tonight at our Green's meeting we discussed whether or not the Greens should allow the increase in the fuel excise.

I suggested that the Greens should pass it with an amendment that at least half the money raised would go to public transport, with the remainder going to roads.

However, we also needed a decision whether it should be passed without amendment. I argued that while it was a regressive tax, we had both economic and environmental reasons to pass it. In the end I was able to sway the group to support the rise in fuel excise.

It wasn't an easy choice, like the idea of the Greens suggesting amendments to the policy (re: public transport).

It is a regressive tax, because people who live in the outer suburbs and in rural/regional areas do need to drive as there are few, if any, public transport options. People who live near decent public transport are often more affluent. Also for people to be able to afford to buy a new fuel efficient car they need to be relatively wealthy.

However, indexing the excise means that the proportion of excise raised will hopefully stay in line with fuel price increases. At the moment the proportion of what we pay for fuel that is the excise has nearly halved since Howard froze it as petrol prices have increased so much. We currently have a structural deficit since taxes have been cut so much. Revenue raised from these increases means there is less chance that some services won't be cut (that sounds naive now that I typed that)

The other issue is to me the most important one. By placing more tax on petrol it sends a price signal to the consumer that we shouldn't be using so much petrol. It will encourage people to drive less, look for public transport options or buy more fuel efficient cars. As Greens, increasing the cost of pollution should be one of our main policies.

So simplistically, I see the policy as having two points for and one against.

What do other people think? Did I make the right call?

Carbon pricing is regressive - so if being regressive is bad you can't be for the carbon price.
Import duties are also regressive.
Luxury Car Tax and restrictions on parallel imports keeps the price of all cars high (sometimes double their European or US alternatives - and that RHS drive poo poo doesn't cut it).

The idea of setting welfare payments and minimum wages is that they need to cover all expenditure required to support a person's life. If fuel excise is indexed then the indexed price goes into the price equation for determining wages etc. Hopefully it gets balanced out. A key issue is short term transitional impacts.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Watching Monday's Q&A for some reason. Judith Sloan is incredibly obnoxious. "You're completely wrong about this" "But you've made this point previously" "ummm, well, yeah".

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Hypation posted:

Carbon pricing is regressive

[Citation Needed]

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

SadisTech posted:

[Citation Needed]

Really?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
A person who is on $40k/year has a higher percentage of their income going towards inelastic demand for products and services with a carbon footprint than a person on $250k/year or a person on $80k/year.

The poorer person can't just say "Guess I'm only running the fridge on tuesdays" to cut down in the wake of carbon pricing.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Hypation posted:

Carbon pricing is regressive - so if being regressive is bad you can't be for the carbon price.

Except that the carbon price included targeted subsidies to remove the regressive aspect. It's a lot more difficult to do that with the fuel excise.

SadisTech posted:

[Citation Needed]

No citation needed. Carbon pricing in and of itself is regressive - ANY sort of consumption tax is regressive. There are acts you can take (levying it only on higher income earners/businesses, income subsidies) that make it not regressive though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Nibbles141 posted:

Watching Monday's Q&A for some reason. Judith Sloan is incredibly obnoxious. "You're completely wrong about this" "But you've made this point previously" "ummm, well, yeah".

QandA this week was surprisingly decent because Stiglitz owns.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

QandA this week was surprisingly decent because Stiglitz owns.

In effect I think Sloan felt threatened that her usual bulldozing of opposition wouldn't work against somebody with a loving nobel prize.in economics

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Les Affaires posted:

In effect I think Sloan felt threatened that her usual bulldozing of opposition wouldn't work against somebody with a loving nobel prize.in economics

I almost felt sorry for Sloan at times.

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Hanson: It's Time

Grimey Drawer
The Liberals new policy to tackle climate change.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2myKgJFbuo

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Except that the carbon price included targeted subsidies to remove the regressive aspect. It's a lot more difficult to do that with the fuel excise.

No citation needed. Carbon pricing in and of itself is regressive - ANY sort of consumption tax is regressive. There are acts you can take (levying it only on higher income earners/businesses, income subsidies) that make it not regressive though.

As far as I remember, the compensation was aimed at doing this - adjust the income taxation system to accomodate the cost of living increase on those it would affect the most.

Readman
Jun 15, 2005

What it boils down to is wider nature strips, more trees and we'll all make wicker baskets in Balmain.

These people are trying to make my party into something other than it is. They're appendages. That's why I'll never abandon ship, and never let those people capture it.

Les Affaires posted:

As far as I remember, the compensation was aimed at doing this - adjust the income taxation system to accomodate the cost of living increase on those it would affect the most.

Yes, if you're talking about regressive taxation, it's more helpful to look at tax-and-transfer as a whole. Europe's taxation system is a lot more regressive than America's, for example, but they transfer a lot more wealth so it ends up more progressive.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Yeah, I should have expressed my thinking more clearly. I wasn't intending to imply that carbon pricing per se is not regressive, but Hypation's statement was conflating the basic idea of carbon pricing with our actual real-world implementation of it, which comes packaged with a bunch of strategies to curb its regressive qualities.

So I shouldn't have taken the shortcut of putting citation needed on the simple statement 'carbon pricing is regressive' but instead taken exception to his implication that thinking regressive taxation is not ideal means you have to be against carbon pricing in all circumstances, and expressed that argument. My bad.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That you, Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us.

Romeo Charlie posted:

The Liberals new policy to tackle climate change.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2myKgJFbuo

How have I not seen this before? Gold.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian Live Blow posted:

Leyonhjelm indicated he may not support the PUP amendments, which he described as "very prescriptive" with "extremely high fines for failure to lodge documents".

He said if the carbon tax was not repealed "the blame for that will rest with Labor, Greens and the Palmer United party".

Interesting, sounds like Leyonhjelm may not support the amendments to the carbon tax repeal. It won't make a difference as long as they satisfy PUP senators, but it means only 2 votes going to the Govt making it 37-35 (Lambie, Brick and Wang become yes, Leyonhjelm becomes no), maybe we should all start a letter writing campaign to Muir, Xenophon, Madigan and Day. Keep Muir as no, and get two of the other 3 to oppose and it fails again.

That's pretty pie in the sky though honestly. Xenophon might flip, but Madigan is a loving idiot and Day doesn't believe in climate change but recognises at least an ETS might be good, so both are pretty unlikely.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Hasn't Madigan been abstaining?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2014/jul/10/clive-palmer-carbon-tax-video

palmer on why he had the repeal voted down

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

SadisTech posted:

Yeah, I should have expressed my thinking more clearly. I wasn't intending to imply that carbon pricing per se is not regressive, but Hypation's statement was conflating the basic idea of carbon pricing with our actual real-world implementation of it, which comes packaged with a bunch of strategies to curb its regressive qualities.

So I shouldn't have taken the shortcut of putting citation needed on the simple statement 'carbon pricing is regressive' but instead taken exception to his implication that thinking regressive taxation is not ideal means you have to be against carbon pricing in all circumstances, and expressed that argument. My bad.

The need to provide a compensation package to limit the detrimental effects of regressive taxation kind of proves that carbon pricing is regressive. That compensation package is also outside the mechanism for setting or administering a carbon price. Carbon pricing per se is regressive. Its just that some people have chosen to impose the regressive tax while also separately and independently providing an offsetting adjustment.

The context of what I posted was also in response to someone being against a specific (regressive) component of a carbon tax and I pointed out that if you are against regressive taxes per se then you have to be against the carbon tax more broadly. I also pointed out that there is a (slow to respond and imperfect) mechanism for compensating people for fuel excise indexation so if you want compensation then there is something.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
HAHAHAHAHA

Liberals forced to table their lovely FOFA bill.

Watching them rapidly lose control of the senate is fills me with sadistic glee.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i can't stop watching palmer, he's mesmerising

http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2014/jul/10/clive-palmer-carbon-tax-video

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Hypation posted:

The need to provide a compensation package to limit the detrimental effects of regressive taxation kind of proves that carbon pricing is regressive. That compensation package is also outside the mechanism for setting or administering a carbon price. Carbon pricing per se is regressive. Its just that some people have chosen to impose the regressive tax while also separately and independently providing an offsetting adjustment.

The context of what I posted was also in response to someone being against a specific (regressive) component of a carbon tax and I pointed out that if you are against regressive taxes per se then you have to be against the carbon tax more broadly. I also pointed out that there is a (slow to respond and imperfect) mechanism for compensating people for fuel excise indexation so if you want compensation then there is something.

That's in part what makes carbon pricing so tricky - the effects of Globu Wapu are likely to affect the poor the most, so you have to choose between a tax that drops aggregate emissions through regressive policy or potentially live with the effects of climate change loving the poor.

Unfortunately, while the rich tend to use more energy and generate more emissions on average than the poor, in reality it's not enough of a gap that a progressive system would be effective enough in curbing aggregate emissions.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
About time:

http://lee-rhiannon.greensmps.org.au/content/media-releases/senate-passes-greens-motion-public-release-secret-senate-voting-system

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Hypation posted:

Taxation, like all government policy, is a tool to achieve a specific end. In the case of carbon pricing, this specific end is to reduce carbon emissions (obviously). There is no way to achieve this goal that is not going to increase the costs of some fundamental goods and services, which costs will impact consumers in inverse proportion to their income, i.e. regressively.

I am not disputing this and apologise for imprecisely giving this impression before.

Now, saying that "regressive taxation is bad" is a simplification of a complex idea. It's shorthand for saying "Regressive taxation has a higher impact on those least able to bear additional costs and is therefore inequitable, and causes flow-on negative effects in the broader social structure."

"Regressive taxation" in and of itself is not bad. It is a concept. The application of regressive taxation can have bad effects. These bad effects can be countered through a variety of strategies, the most common of which is to apply subsidies for low income earners to offset the additional costs.

It is therefore quite possible to both think that regressive taxes are not generally optimal due to this additional administrative complexity, and to recognise that they may still be the most effective mechanism to achieve particular goals, e.g. the reduction of carbon emissions. As long as their negative effects are recognised and provisions made to counter these, there is no issue.

To put it another way, knives can cut people's fingers off, so knives are bad. I am therefore flatly against knives and there is no circumstance under which one should be used. Does that seem rational?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Umm no, that's not how it works.

It's regressive. You admit it. So you, as a nonhypocritical progressive, have no choice but to oppose it. This is a logic trap and you are powerless against it. You all have to vote LNP now.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Regarding the carbon tax - did 'green' alternatives (e.g. electricity from renewable sources vs from coal) get cheaper on a relative basis to other products?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

SadisTech posted:

To put it another way, knives can cut people's fingers off, so knives are bad. I am therefore flatly against knives and there is no circumstance under which one should be used. Does that seem rational?

Someone went to a Greens party meeting and was having trouble with the regressive nature of the fuel excise. I pointed out that fuel excise is a form of carbon tax and carbon tax is regressive taxes per se are bad then ... you know the rest. Now as far as greens policy on knives goes, I am pretty sure it won't be: "Knives don't cut people, people cut people" therefore knives could well be regarded bad by the Greens.

What you're all missing here is that there are two completely separate and distinct issues:

1. Taxation of carbon
2. Level of wages and welfare benefits

The two are independent. But you seem to be trapped into thinking that the imposition of (1) must come with compensation in (2); Rather than independently arguing for more (2) because the standards of living are unfair etc. By accepting a compensation based debate, you've accepted the Liberal Party's framing of the issues. The need for a person to have more money = higher wages / more welfare is independent of the cause of the need.

• Locked thread