Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
I was kind of amazed how active Twitter was during the new episode. Guess that bodes well for ratings.

I do have a question though, anyone know when iTunes is going to get the episode, and an option to buy Season Two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Vargatron posted:

The episode where QT falls in love turned me on to one of the chillest tunes ever:

https://soundcloud.com/fluera/luvraw-anatato

You got me excited thinking this was the song that plays when QT grows giant.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...
Attack on Titan Dandy! I am really looking forward to watching this episode again to try to catch all the references.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I just want to know what the genius grey kid dandy was a reference to. It seemed strangely specific and yet familiar.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Mr. Fowl posted:

I just want to know what the genius grey kid dandy was a reference to. It seemed strangely specific and yet familiar.

I got kind of a 'Soul Eater' vibe from him.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Mr. Fowl posted:

He reminds me of Level-5 character designs, but I feel like the actual reference has to be more obscure.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Obviously some of the Dandys (Dandies?) were specific references, but I get the feeling most of them were just the variations of archetypes they were presented as. The grey kid reminded me most of Detective Conan, so I'd say he's just a reference to boy geniuses.

My favorite part of the episode is when Honey points out that despite all of them looking nothing alike, there is something about each of their designs where you could imagine different artists being told to make a "dandy" character, whatever that means to them.

FAT BATMAN fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 11, 2014

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
I think it's mostly a Dragonball reference, with elements like the golden cloud and the magic stick, bundled with archetypal characters from kids's manga like the cute animal sidekick. I don't know what the Michael Jackson moves he does are supposed to reference.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

FAT BATMAN posted:

The grey kid reminded me most of Detective Conan, so I'd say he's just a reference to boy geniuses.

He's a direct reference to something, his design is very familiar, I just can't place it.

I Love Annie May posted:

I don't know what the Michael Jackson moves he does are supposed to reference.

:psyduck:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

FAT BATMAN posted:

Obviously some of the Dandys (Dandies?) were specific references, but I get the feeling most of them were just the variations of archetypes they were presented as. The grey kid reminded me most of Detective Conan, so I'd say he's just a reference to boy geniuses.

My favorite part of the episode is when Honey points out that despite all of them looking nothing alike, there is something about each of their designs where you could imagine different artists being told to make a "dandy" character, whatever that means to them.

I'd love to see the behind the scenes version just to see what the designers were thinking with each one. Including the Final Dandy, which was probably how to make the most un-Dandy Dandy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I Love Annie May posted:

I think it's mostly a Dragonball reference, with elements like the golden cloud and the magic stick, bundled with archetypal characters from kids's manga like the cute animal sidekick. I don't know what the Michael Jackson moves he does are supposed to reference.

I'm not some kinda pop culture guru, but uh, I think they were supposed to reference Michael Jackson.

Because Space Dandy is weird.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm not some kinda pop culture guru, but uh, I think they were supposed to reference Michael Jackson.

Because Space Dandy is weird.

It makes sense, Michael Jackson was pretty drat dandy too.

Am I the only one that thinks Michael Jackson Dandy being a little boy (or looking like one) was another level to the joke?

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

aers posted:

Upcoming Dandy staff

can't bold hard enough

I was googling the rest of them and Eiji Nakada, a director of ep 15, was the animation director of Mushroom Samba.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

It makes sense, Michael Jackson was pretty drat dandy too.

Am I the only one that thinks Michael Jackson Dandy being a little boy (or looking like one) was another level to the joke?

Please.

Dandy Jackson.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I really hope something tops this part tonight but I dunno, emo dandy is pretty hard to beat

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
season 2 opener episode was loving awesome, I love how colourful and dynamic everything is in this show. the QT autotuned voice is still my favorite part of the show, it's so trippy

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I wanna die.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
The river of time keeps on flowin', baby.

Also I still like how the narrator is an actual character who will be called out when he starts rambling stupid bullshit, and vice versa.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Looks like next week is the Yuasa episode.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

FortMax posted:

directed, storyboarded, written, and ad'd by none other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nZHv0hZPGk

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
This episode has some incredibly gif-able moments. I died laughing at the battleship bouncing into a sailing ship.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
That episode was okay, looking forward to next weeks episode more so than this one.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I like the few moments where Dandy actually gets to shine. It's nice that he gets to be more than a womanizing buffoon. Episodes like this don't have the sorts of highs that the funnier ones do, but I think the series would be a lot thinner without them.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Of course the dog died, I'm loving done.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I like the few moments where Dandy actually gets to shine. It's nice that he gets to be more than a womanizing buffoon. Episodes like this don't have the sorts of highs that the funnier ones do, but I think the series would be a lot thinner without them.

Yeah--it makes his 'go with the flow' attitude feel a lot more genuine. If he were always a complete buffoon it'd be one thing, but episodes like this really sell the fact that Dandy is just a preposterously chill guy.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Yeah--it makes his 'go with the flow' attitude feel a lot more genuine. If he were always a complete buffoon it'd be one thing, but episodes like this really sell the fact that Dandy is just a preposterously chill guy.

Isn't this the first episode where we've seen Dandy actually get very serious and very angry? He really seemed to take Meow and QT being turned to stone badly. Then again my theory is still that at one point Dandy was a hyper-competent something-or-other, basically Spike but way more laid back.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I like that my guess of Team BBP disbanding being a result of Dandy being an idiot about something was true.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Isn't this the first episode where we've seen Dandy actually get very serious and very angry? He really seemed to take Meow and QT being turned to stone badly. Then again my theory is still that at one point Dandy was a hyper-competent something-or-other, basically Spike but way more laid back.

He got pretty serious and pissed when those people were trying to abduct the alien girl who put people into stuffed animals, but he was a stuffed animal at the time.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

He got pretty serious and pissed when those people were trying to abduct the alien girl who put people into stuffed animals, but he was a stuffed animal at the time.

Oh yeah, right. I feel stupid now, because I actually compared the tone of this episode to that episode with some friends.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Pomp posted:

Of course the dog died, I'm loving done.

Better than how the real version died.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

yeah, he was a hyper-competent surfer. Did you not see that move where he almost lost the board but then just grabbed it and kept going?
a space surfer is a way more laid back space cowboy

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

this is great.

Also what's saturdays episode on? Some teleporting flashlight?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

cooldude2.0 posted:

yeah, he was a hyper-competent surfer. Did you not see that move where he almost lost the board but then just grabbed it and kept going?
a space surfer is a way more laid back space cowboy

My take has always kinda been that Dandy is competent if he focuses but 90% of the time he's too busy doing poo poo like posing and being Dandy to really bother with the whole competence thing.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

FortMax posted:

I thought the plants episode was Yuasa, but I guess it's by Eunyoung Choi (who's worked on all of Yuasa's TV series)

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Yuasa owns but Shinya Ohira stole the show this week. One of the best animators in the industry, perhaps ever.

If you thought that scene's style looked familiar, Ohira was responsible for the Ping Pong opening (although he only animated part of it).

aers fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 20, 2014

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

aers posted:

Yuasa owns but Shinya Ohira stole the show this week. One of the best in the industry, perhaps ever.

If you thought that scene's style looked familiar, Ohira was responsible for the Ping Pong opening (although he only animated part of it).

That really was an impressive sequence. Reminded me of that famous boat in tsunami with Mt Fuji painting.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Dandy's impeccable chillness on full display this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
This episode was the opposite of good. In parts the animation was nice, but much of it was angular and ugly in the vein of Aeon Flux. And what was up with those terrible comedy sound effects? Compared to how great the previous two episodes were, this was a big frustration.

• Locked thread