Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

AA is for Quitters posted:

On the plus side, it means every single thing in his filmography is fantastic because he refused to do crappy roles. The worst thing he was in was probably Down the Shore, which isnt' a terrible movie, but it's like a cinematic version of a Springsteen song.

I can't believe it's been over a year since he died, and that we're never going to get anything from him again. Or really, most of the Sopranos cast. I mean, Mike Imperioli's most recent role was "Won Celebrity Chopped", Tony Sirico ain't done much, it's a shame, cause they're all fantastic actors, but Sopranos did a lot to typecast them, and Edie Falco's the only one that's broken away from that. (you could argue Lorraine Bracco too, but right now she's playing a fairly similar role to Goodfellas)

Someone has not suffered through Surviving Christmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

pentyne posted:

I faintly recall a lot of interviews where he said he was getting offered tons of wiseguy/criminal parts and he wanted to move past being Tony Soprano. I can only imagine what it was like for him trying to do something new and literally everywhere he went is was "Hey, Tone!".

Apparently the only wiseguy/criminal role he actually wanted was Falcone in Dark Knight, which eventually went to Eric Roberts.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Apparently the only wiseguy/criminal role he actually wanted was Falcone in Dark Knight, which eventually went to Eric Roberts.

Double edged sword, casting directors probably didn't want Tony Soprano facing down Batman.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

pentyne posted:

I faintly recall a lot of interviews where he said he was getting offered tons of wiseguy/criminal parts and he wanted to move past being Tony Soprano. I can only imagine what it was like for him trying to do something new and literally everywhere he went is was "Hey, Tone!".

It's weird seeing him in True Romance, playing a lower-level henchman. Plus he's skinny.

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.
Watching it for the first time since it aired and I can't believe he was only 36 in the pilot which was filmed in 97. Maybe going bald and having a 16 year old kid made him seem older. And he was only 4.5 years older than Imperioli but I guess in the show it was supposed to be more.

Also loved "The Reverend Rodney King Jr" and Melfi doesn't even react to it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Really want to go back and rewatch the whole thing soon. Got to power through The Wire, Boarwalk Empire and Mad Men first though. I might get the Blu Rays actually.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Steve2911 posted:

Really want to go back and rewatch the whole thing soon. Got to power through The Wire, Boarwalk Empire and Mad Men first though. I might get the Blu Rays actually.

I think I'm going to break down and get them. The wife and I plan on using this excuse to do a full re-watch since all the other shows will be in hiatus.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

That would have been amazing, but yeah I can see how it would have been hugely distracting to basically have Batman vs Tony Soprano.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm only on season 3 so I'm avoiding this thread, but I just want to comment on how much I love the opening credits. After 3 seasons I still let the entire thing play every time, I can't say that for any other show. The song is perfect, the footage is perfect, everything is just perfect. It immediately makes you appreciate Tony as a character before he's said a single word.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

I'm only on season 3 so I'm avoiding this thread, but I just want to comment on how much I love the opening credits. After 3 seasons I still let the entire thing play every time, I can't say that for any other show. The song is perfect, the footage is perfect, everything is just perfect. It immediately makes you appreciate Tony as a character before he's said a single word.

They really are great. When I was binging through this show I listened to that song during my commute like every morning and it just felt so right.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
"If Vito wanted to pursue that lifestyle, he should have done so quietly."
"He was, wasn't he?"

These guys really are dumb :allears: (Sil's pretty cool)

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Just now watching through for the first time. On ep 8 right now.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Tender Bender posted:

They really are great. When I was binging through this show I listened to that song during my commute like every morning and it just felt so right.

This only works if your daily commute is up the turnpike (or rather, down it, but hey).

It is my go-to song for whenever I hit like exit 13/14 or so I just jam it on repeat if I'm heading to/from NYC by car.

And Eifert Posting, you are in for one hell of a ride. The first season is great, but by the time the show hits seasons 2/3 its outstanding.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

AA is for Quitters posted:

This only works if your daily commute is up the turnpike (or rather, down it, but hey).

It is my go-to song for whenever I hit like exit 13/14 or so I just jam it on repeat if I'm heading to/from NYC by car.

And Eifert Posting, you are in for one hell of a ride. The first season is great, but by the time the show hits seasons 2/3 its outstanding.

When I rewatch the series season 1/2 are the only episodes I sometimes FF through. Season 3 on are all so good you can't stop watching.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

It's funny that a show about the mob is also so adept at approaching mental illness (well, not always illness but...dysfunction I guess?)

Again, I'm about 3 seasons in now, just finished the episode where Tony goes to the zoo with the Mercedes lady. Recently I love how they've been approaching the psychiatry scenes. In the early seasons, Jennifer is a very detached presence, the scenes in her office are especially sterile. But after being raped her relationship with Tony changes considerably, she becomes as dependent on him as he has been on her. It's refreshing that they show that nobody is totally "sane."

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 9, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
What is the consensus here on "weakest season" - I've watched the series 3x through more or less and i think season 4 is my least favorite. That's the season featuring Pie-Oh-My. Still very enjoyable cause it is a season of the Sopranos after all but it always feels like a lull between the excellent seasons 3 and 5.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Yeah I remember Season 4 getting a lot of hate while it was airing, and looking back, it's still the weak point of the series. Biggest complaint from me is that they turned Furio into :swoon:Furio:swoon:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Kevyn posted:

Yeah I remember Season 4 getting a lot of hate while it was airing, and looking back, it's still the weak point of the series. Biggest complaint from me is that they turned Furio into :swoon:Furio:swoon:

I can remember hearing of some delays due Tony Sirico's back trouble which is why he was in jail for the first 6 episodes.

As for the season, the think the theme is that Tony is loosing the loyalty and trust of those around him.
- Suddenly Carm wants to know more about where the money is/comes form
- The crew is using 9/11 as an excuse for light envelopes
- Meadow starts her enters her, "I'm going to France! I'm 18 you can't stop me!" phase
- The crew resents Chris being made a capo
- Johnny Sack starts poking his nose into Soprano family business over Ralph's 100 pound mole joke
- Chris gets heavy into his smack addiction
- Furio falls for Carm
- Ralph kills Tony's horse
- New York moves in and wants a piece of the HUD scam
- Furio passes on his chance to kill Tony and runs back the Italy
- Carm finds out Tony slept with Svetalna and gets kicked out

So yeah we got :swoon:Furio:swoon: but it fit the theme.

The crew isn't earning and using 9/11 as an excuse, New York is getting more active in their business, Ralph is being Ralph,

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I didn't watch it when it aired, but I really liked series 4. I'd say it's a more 'transitional' series, so it probably gets a lot of flack for being less solid and more... transitiony.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

-Blackadder- posted:

Man, the death of Adriana sequence still hits me hard, probably harder than anything else in the entire series. Christopher seeing that poor family at the gas station, the whole thing, it's just really sad and stays with you.

From a bunch of pages back, but yeah. I just watched the execution scene with my girlfriend (her first time through the series), and I've never seen her react to anything like she did that. By the time it was over she had a blanket pulled over her face and was literally sobbing.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah, i mean season 4 had a lot of important events (ade and ralph both killed, chris' addiction to H, johnny sack increased role, are all great) no doubt but it is probably still the dullest season.

Toilet Terror
Aug 5, 2006
Swirlie
Ade was the end of season 5, believe it or not

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

thathonkey posted:

Yeah, i mean season 4 had a lot of important events (ade and ralph both killed, chris' addiction to H, johnny sack increased role, are all great) no doubt but it is probably still the dullest season.

I feel like they didn't have a clear direction of what to do with Ralph besides him just being the sexually deviant super-sociopath. Ralph was especially weak when you compare the similar situation with Steve Buscemi as Tony B struggling with life out of prison.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

thathonkey posted:

Yes. She was caught by the FBI in early season 4 and Chris tried to have a threesome with the agent and Ade. That's when they pulled her in and told her they want her to wire up and she puked all over the table.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

pentyne posted:

I feel like they didn't have a clear direction of what to do with Ralph besides him just being the sexually deviant super-sociopath. Ralph was especially weak when you compare the similar situation with Steve Buscemi as Tony B struggling with life out of prison.

I always felt like the Ralph storyline was to show how much these people would put up with to keep around a guy that made them a lot of money. If I'm not mistaken, Ralph was one of the best earners on the show, so there was always pressure, especially from New York, to keep him around. Which is why poo poo like his jokes, his violent outbursts, the murder of Tracee, etc were all overlooked over time. It wasn't until he personally insulted the higher-ups, first Johnny Sack and then Tony, that any kind of comeuppance was finally discussed. And then, in the ultimate instance of irony, he's actually portrayed quite sympathetically in the episode in which he's finally murdered by Tony, which is evidenced by the lyrics from "Sympathy for the Devil" sprinkled throughout the dialogue.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I think season 1 and 6A are the worst personally.

1 is too episode of the week-ish and 6A is johhny cakes

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You guys are crazy; Johnny Cakes is great.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I totally forgot Richie was in Mean Streets. The only other thing I could remember him from was a weird run on Everybody Loves Raymond where he spent the whole time playing off his "Manson lamps".

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

withak posted:

You guys are crazy; Johnny Cakes is great.

Vitos adventures with handlebar mustache in gay utopia was loving stupid as hell

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Especially considering he seems willing to go along with her plea with him to go into witness protection with her until he spots that poor family and realizes this will be his future - he'll be a nobody living the rest of his life like a schnook.

I always figured that scene mostly tied into Chris wanting a family of his own and resenting the poo poo out of Adriana for not being able to conceive: To Chris joining witness protection means not just giving up the Soprano family but also any prospect of raising one himself. I think seeing that family at the gas station is what drives this home to Chris and next thing you know he's on the phone with Tony setting Ade up to get clipped.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I always interpreted that moment was unambiguously intended to comically foretell to Christopher how desperately miserable married would be to him, particularly after years of enjoying the excessive lifestyle of a made man

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

TheRationalRedditor posted:

I always interpreted that moment was unambiguously intended to comically foretell to Christopher how desperately miserable married would be to him, particularly after years of enjoying the excessive lifestyle of a made man

Oh that's definitely part of it. I mean he's practically stroking his SUV when he catches sight of them and their lovely car.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I wasn't expecting the sense of humor this show has. When Tony's sister sees Livia's face badly Photoshopped onto the stairs warning sign I loving lost it and had to rewind. I hurt a muscle in my neck yesterday and now I am in tremendous pain because of this loving show.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Tony freaking out that his daughter is hanging out with a black guy and then having a panic attack and fainting when he sees the Uncle Ben's rice bag is one of my favorite gags.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I started watching when season 5 was on, and then went back and rented all the other seasons, then I watched them all again one more time after that.

Season 1 was weird but they're just getting started so no big deal. You could probably skip it if you wanted. I get tired of Tony's mom pretty quick. Yea, I get the whole series is based on the fact that Tony sees a shrink but I like all the mob-stuff way more than Tony's backstory.

Season 2 was so-so. I love all the Janice bullshit that starts in this season, I never thought I could hate a fictional character as much as I do Janice. She's such a lowlife oval office. She reminds me of my aunt Cathy in every possible way and it made me realize why my dad hates her so loving much. I didn't like anything about the Big Pussy storyline. I give the writers a pass since they get better at stuff like that once it goes on.

Season 3 brings Ralph Cifaretto who was one of my favorite characters in the whole series. The Jackie Jr thing was great, and Meadow is such a typical teenage girl. And that crazy bitch Gloria...

Season 4 has the horse thing with Ralph and Tony, Janice and Bobby, Christopher and heroin, Ade and the FBI, Furio...it's great.

Season 5 i also great, but the second half of Season 6 felt rushed and I don't like how most series end, I feel they try to do too much in the last few episodes and won't just leave things be.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

zVxTeflon posted:

Vitos adventures with handlebar mustache in gay utopia was loving stupid as hell

For the most part I agree, but the scene with Vito trying to make a straight (heh) living was great.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Bob Morales posted:

:words:

She's such a lowlife oval office.

And that crazy bitch Gloria...

Thanks for the insightful comments!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lets just stop this before it starts.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Oh my god she gave him the bass for Christmas. Who the hell gives their dad big mouth billy bass for Christmas?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think everyone has a Relative like Janice. Ours is named Bill.

• Locked thread