Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

he shows up to lose a couple matches to people he handpicks every now and then and also fandango

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

SiKboy posted:

I thought during that era of the WWE the closest they had to a drug testing regime was that if HBK stole it from you it was probably good poo poo?

That's the story I remember Hall telling, no idea about it's validity. It might have been the thing too where they only tested at TV tapings, and they'd do a couple of months worth of tapings all at the same time so you could kind of work around it by stopping smoking a couple of days before the taping. I remember a couple of people talking about that at some point.

The best "Vince comes down on drugs" story though is definitely from Bret's book, when Vince went on the warpath after Shiek and Duggan got arrested together. I thought I would never stop laughing at my mental image of Vince screaming "The days of a six-pack and a handjob are over!!"

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
The Saturday Night Main Event episodes got added to the network, so I'm checking out a couple episodes. I did notice that the promos all looked blue screened, and I'm not sure why they would. Why not just shoot at the event itself?

Flippinlikebirds
Feb 2, 2007
I'm an ideas man Michael. I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain.
Is there like a rule of thumb for billed heights? I know they tend to exaggerate, but what are the rules? Can a guy just say whatever he wants? Does everyone get 3 inches? Is it something that is only done on huge dudes to make them seem even bigger? Do women wrestlers do it? Is someone like Rey Mysterio billed shorter than he actually is since being small is sort of his thing. Was Andre the Giant actually any bigger than let's say Kane?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Abyss is 6'8", wow what a monster

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Flippinlikebirds posted:

Is there like a rule of thumb for billed heights? I know they tend to exaggerate, but what are the rules? Can a guy just say whatever he wants? Does everyone get 3 inches? Is it something that is only done on huge dudes to make them seem even bigger? Do women wrestlers do it? Is someone like Rey Mysterio billed shorter than he actually is since being small is sort of his thing. Was Andre the Giant actually any bigger than let's say Kane?

They're exaggerated to the degree they want them to be. Andre was 7 feet at his peak but was down to about 6'9" by the end of his career. If you check the video from WrestleMania III, he's only a few inches taller than Hogan, who was billed at 6'8" but was probably 6'5" or 6'6". Kane and Undertaker are probably 6'9" or so, and Big Show is a legitimate 7 feet. I think Khali is a legit 7'1" or 7'2". When you get to the smaller side, generally they don't mention their height at all. Generally, everyone gets a couple of inches.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Flippinlikebirds posted:

Everyone being billed 2-3 inches taller is a pretty good rule of thumb, regardless of size. There are times when they don't bother for whatever reason. For example, Brock is billed at his actual height now, but before his MMA career, he was billed 2 inches taller.

Edit: It seems to be like they're absolutely loathe to bill anyone shorter than 5'10" (except Rey), and that the minimum used to be 6' (except Rey). I recall one of those Legends of Wrestling roundtables where they were talking about unlikely stars, and Shawn Michaels was considered an incredibly unlikely success story. Because he was only billed at 6'1".

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 10, 2014

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

oatgan posted:

he shows up to lose a couple matches to people he handpicks every now and then and also fandango

He's pretty much back to push Bray Wyatt, surely.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TL posted:

They're exaggerated to the degree they want them to be. Andre was 7 feet at his peak but was down to about 6'9" by the end of his career. If you check the video from WrestleMania III, he's only a few inches taller than Hogan, who was billed at 6'8" but was probably 6'5" or 6'6". Kane and Undertaker are probably 6'9" or so, and Big Show is a legitimate 7 feet. I think Khali is a legit 7'1" or 7'2". When you get to the smaller side, generally they don't mention their height at all. Generally, everyone gets a couple of inches.

Show isn't a legitimate 7 feet, he's a couple inches shorter than that. It was blatantly obvious when he was in the ring with Shaq. Andre was probably never 7', he was basically Ernie Ladd's height when they were in the ring together and Ladd was 6'9.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Everyone being billed 2-3 inches taller is a pretty good rule of thumb, regardless of size. There are times when they don't bother for whatever reason. For example, Brock is billed at his actual height now, but before his MMA career, he was billed 2 inches taller.

When do you even hear Brock's height mentioned anymore? For years now they've just announced weight and not height during entrances and the commentary team only ever gives figures for the super tall guys (Show, Taker, Kane, Khali).

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

TL posted:

Last time Kane and Show were in the ring together I remember them being eye-to-eye, unless one of them wears lifts. Nash (legit 6'9) decided he could get into wrestling after blowing out his knee playing basketball in Europe when Hogan walked by him at a show he had floor seats at and he saw had a head on him and then some.

Hogan as Thunderlips was billed 7' in Rocky III and Stallone isn't even 6 feet.

Flippinlikebirds posted:

I seem to remember an interview with Rey where he talks about being so small AAA wanted to put him with the minis when he came up at 17-18 until someone (Psicosis or Juvi?) said he was way too good for that.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

So does anyone actually give a poo poo about heights for anyone who isn't a giant or is this just another weird WWE thing?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WWE guys are just officially 2-3 inches taller and/or wearing huge fuckoff lifts in their boots that make you wonder how they can walk.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Lifts become a zero-sum game. Ever since I thought Cesaro's boots made him look like Olive Oyl, and Sheamus's ridiculous wedges, I just don't see the point any more. I can get it if you're Jericho, under 6'0 and going against people like The Rock, and can obscure them with kickpads. Otherwise you can't tell how tall they are because they're on TV or you're 1000 feet away in the crowd.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

WWE guys are just officially 2-3 inches taller and/or wearing huge fuckoff lifts in their boots that make you wonder how they can walk.

It's not hard to walk in boots like that, it's probably a bit harder to wrestle.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'll have you all know that the Vaudevillains stand at a total combined height of over 12 feet. :colbert:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

keithy george posted:

Lifts become a zero-sum game. Ever since I thought Cesaro's boots made him look like Olive Oyl, and Sheamus's ridiculous wedges, I just don't see the point any more. I can get it if you're Jericho, under 6'0 and going against people like The Rock, and can obscure them with kickpads. Otherwise you can't tell how tall they are because they're on TV or you're 1000 feet away in the crowd.

Alternately, they can bring back the cruiserweight division and keep the smaller dudes together and the big dudes together and have better matches because of it.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Thauros posted:

IIRC "Cheese Souffle" was basically Youtube code for WWE around 2007 in an attempt to evade detection. I remember a bunch of those since the occasional youtube video alongside following news and results was the main way I was following WWE then since I didn't have cable, online streams either didn't exist or I hadn't discovered then, and I didn't care enough to pirate them.

Going back to this, Cheese Souffle was code for HHH. Due to the constant takedowns on youtube. No idea why it was associated with HHH though.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

dialhforhero posted:

Alternately, they can bring back the cruiserweight division and keep the smaller dudes together and the big dudes together and have better matches because of it.

that's not how it works

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Thauros posted:

When do you even hear Brock's height mentioned anymore? For years now they've just announced weight and not height during entrances and the commentary team only ever gives figures for the super tall guys (Show, Taker, Kane, Khali).
Oh, pretty much just on the website.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

gypsyshred posted:

The Saturday Night Main Event episodes got added to the network, so I'm checking out a couple episodes. I did notice that the promos all looked blue screened, and I'm not sure why they would. Why not just shoot at the event itself?

I noticed this on one of the old episodes of Raw too. I assume it's something to do with adding the promos in post production, so they can get the right take and just splice it in rather than having to get it right live.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

triplexpac posted:

I noticed this on one of the old episodes of Raw too. I assume it's something to do with adding the promos in post production, so they can get the right take and just splice it in rather than having to get it right live.

I think they blue-screened a lot of the promo segments where wrestlers had their custom logo in the background. It's easier than having a backdrop for each and every person that production would have to keep changing.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

triplexpac posted:

You also avoid a Shockmaster incident, which begs the question: why the gently caress was that segment live and not pre-taped?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I think they blue-screened a lot of the promo segments where wrestlers had their custom logo in the background. It's easier than having a backdrop for each and every person that production would have to keep changing.

Oh yeah, for sure. I was thinking of how on the old Raw they had Vince & HBK on a greenscreen of the crowd going wild, as they were doing the announcing in post.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

triplexpac posted:

Oh yeah, for sure. I was thinking of how on the old Raw they had Vince & HBK on a greenscreen of the crowd going wild, as they were doing the announcing in post.

Depending on what year it was, it could have been that they had to use footage of a bigger crowd in the background because there weren't too many people in attendance that day.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
What the hell happened to that Wrestling Retribution Project thing? The guy got money, actually recorded shows and... nothing???

I actually talked about doing some graphic design stuff for the thing, the guy was going to send over some NDAs for me to sign but then said he was "swamped" and never got around to it.

People talking about GFW being vaporware in another thread made me think of this.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Everything was filmed and the workers got paid but Katz never released it because he couldn't think of a way to distribute it which is a really bad excuse all things considered

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
To clarify, the background added in post was the area next to the ring. But the small crowd explanation makes sense.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

oatgan posted:

Everything was filmed and the workers got paid but Katz never released it because he couldn't think of a way to distribute it which is a really bad excuse all things considered

Jesus, that's horrible. Like... there are so many ways to get things out there in this day and age, surely he could have just thrown it out there to make a little bit of money back.

I guess some people just love burning through money.

Edit: Oh and here's another question... what's the history between CM Punk and Mike Quackenbush? I tried googling but couldn't come up with anything.

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 10, 2014

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

triplexpac posted:

Jesus, that's horrible. Like... there are so many ways to get things out there in this day and age, surely he could have just thrown it out there to make a little bit of money back.

I guess some people just love burning through money.

Edit: Oh and here's another question... what's the history between CM Punk and Mike Quackenbush? I tried googling but couldn't come up with anything.

Punk worked some early Chikara shows, stopped working with them, Quack debuted CP Munk, and Punk slagged Quack off and felt like it was disrespectful and a shot at him.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

triplexpac posted:

They actually started this on Superstars/Wrestling Challenge around 1990/91 when crowds started dying down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9JrAQIZqXk&t=11s

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Nut Bunnies posted:

They actually started this on Superstars/Wrestling Challenge around 1990/91 when crowds started dying down

Was this due to Warrior replacing Hogan as the champ?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

Was this due to Warrior replacing Hogan as the champ?

The buzz actually started to wane in 1989 iirc, but Warrior (and them botching his reign as well) didn't help things.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Frankie, Matilda & Damien.....are there any other live animal mascots I don't remember? Will we ever see any again in the future or is the liability too high now?

Edit: forgot Rickie's komodo. Also, I mean long term recurring ones, not like UT's vulture.

ncumbered_by_idgits fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 10, 2014

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Frankie, Matilda & Damien.....are there any other live animal mascots I don't remember? Will we ever see any again in the future or is the liability too high now?

Torrie Wilson had a dog, as did the one guy from La Resistance

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Pepper, Al Snow's dog that Bossman cooked and fed to him.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Swagger Eagle

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Tara (Victoria) in TNA carried a tarantula to the ring that she would put on people.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Nut Bunnies posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9JrAQIZqXk&t=11s

Oh gently caress, I remember that episode and Jesse alternating between Hogan and Warrior merch in the runup to WMVI. The green screening worked on the intended audience, I certainly didn't catch it has an eigh tyear old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

oldpainless posted:

Swagger Eagle

He never had a live eagle did he? I don't watch very often, I thought it was a guy in a costume.