Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I died like 4 times to the final boss of hullbreaker isle and didn't say a word the entire run but still got 3 commendations tonight.

I want that arab oil baron magitek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Getting commendations for pulling as a whm is the best feeling.

So is eventually dying because the tank has run out of TP and you won't let him rest.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Did quite a few A and S hunts today and managed to get enough seals for my first log. No luck on actually getting one dropped to me though, but I'm not exactly in a rush until I get a gosh dang tomestone.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Trivia posted:

Getting commendations for pulling as a whm is the best feeling.

So is eventually dying because the tank has run out of TP and you won't let him rest.

They should have invigorate. Even if they can't use it. :colbert:

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
My static's monk had gotten 3 sands in a day and capped his myth multiple times, the rewards for the hunts are insane.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

From the forums:

quote:

Currently, we have found that wait times in the Duty Finder matchmaking process for Frontline campaigns are being affected by delays due to players abandoning the queue.

We are therefore planning to implement the following measures in order to address this issue.

[Measure 1]
In this measure, all players who choose “Commence” will be sent to the Frontline once matchmaking is complete, regardless of whether some have chosen “Abandon” at the last second or selected no option at all. This measure is scheduled to be introduced this week on July 11, 2014.

This may result in some teams starting the duty with an insufficient number of players. If this should happen, we ask that party leaders use the “Add Member” option to fill out their party’s numbers. Additionally, when registering for a Frontline campaign we recommend checking “Join Party in Progress,” which will make the matchmaking process smoother, and ask players to consider choosing this option whenever possible.

[Measure 2]
To address parties starting the duty with insufficient numbers, we are planning the addition of a feature which automatically adds members if required once duty has commenced. This countermeasure is planned for Frontline campaigns only and is scheduled for implementation sometime next week.

We will provide further details concerning both measures once they have been fully implemented, and ask for your patience until updated information can be provided.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

fuxxo
Feb 17, 2010

Fucking Pokemon, how do they Surf?

Doublestep posted:

Pubbies are an enigma, I got all commendations in a Titan HM roulette for pointing out the dragoon died from elusive jumping off of the platform.

Even the dragoon commended me.

Probably because it's pretty funny.

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

What's that NPC wearing? Looks neat.

Gathering gear made my leatherworkers. The body is X jerkin and the legs are X culottes with X being "toadskin," "boarskin," "raptorskin" (can't remember if the other leathers have them).

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

goldjas posted:

If you want to play it, play the original NES version with an English translation. The remake on 3DS / Steam sucks for several reasons. Either way it's a super old RPG with all that that entails. It is probably one of the earliest RPGs with a job changing system though.

Alternatively, if you don't want to play it or don't have the tim,e Mega64 here did a fun LP of it that's now up on the LP Archive.

Fishious posted:

My static's monk had gotten 3 sands in a day and capped his myth multiple times, the rewards for the hunts are insane.

I wish I could do that. Everytime I finally get to a hunt, the thing's dead because people don't like to wait. Only got to fight three notorious monsters and that was on patch day.

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.

CrashScreen posted:

I wish I could do that. Everytime I finally get to a hunt, the thing's dead because people don't like to wait. Only got to fight three notorious monsters and that was on patch day.

Still haven't even seen one yet, been trying to kill Naul but never get there in time. Hopefully things calm down with the hunts. Seems some of them only spawn at certain times of day though, will be interesting to see how all rank S spawn mechanics work.

Some theory and logs of hunt kills at this link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1W5BDhL4pF7Zod8af2VGTGJo9oPbjx4RPKXYerGnGRbI/htmlview?pli=1&sle=true

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Kwyndig posted:

drat that hat looks good, the coat is pimping too.

Ct2 looks swag as gently caress in general. Is that the heavy armor set? If not does anyone have a picture of it?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Pierson posted:

Ct2 looks swag as gently caress in general. Is that the heavy armor set? If not does anyone have a picture of it?

That is Amon's coat, BRD gear.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I know it's old content at this point, but I ran WP last night for the first time, and I really enjoyed it. They nailed that feeling of "oh gently caress, Tonberries" perfectly.

This game seems to have good level 50 content!

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
Peoples experiences with finding hunt marks varies drastically. Unless you're in several good hunting linkshells and/or play off of prime time the number of seals you get is low on Excalibur.

Everyone should avoid the weekly elite mark when it's B rank though, it is straight up a trap that wastes your time. The game funnels the entire server into one zone to try and get kill credit on a very weak mob with a ~1 hour respawn that shows up anywhere in the zone. All for the wonderful reward of 1 rank A's worth of seals.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Camping Naul gives me PTSD flashbacks of Animus book FATE camping, so gently caress that.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
I'm just going to become nocturnal and get all of the hunts.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Sacro posted:

Peoples experiences with finding hunt marks varies drastically. Unless you're in several good hunting linkshells and/or play off of prime time the number of seals you get is low on Excalibur.

I'm on Midgardsormr, but live in the UK. I've found that the server can be quite dead in most of the populated places during certain periods that I'm on, but people still swam out of nowhere really quick. I think I'll need to look into joining some more hunt linkshells.

quote:

Everyone should avoid the weekly elite mark when it's B rank though, it is straight up a trap that wastes your time. The game funnels the entire server into one zone to try and get kill credit on a very weak mob with a ~1 hour respawn that shows up anywhere in the zone. All for the wonderful reward of 1 rank A's worth of seals.

It's especially bad in Coerthas, because that place is huge and Dragonhead can be miles from what I'd figure would be potential spawn points. I've pretty much already given up on my weekly mark.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
I really like the hunt in theory, but it's definitely ridiculous right now. I'm in a large linkshell with people calling them out as they spot them, but even if I leave instantly, it was tough for me to get there in peak hours. Right when I got home at 5 ET, it was mostly fine for As (Bs are a lost cause 90% of the time), but by the time it was 10:00 or so, even getting to an S mob was nearly impossible, even if I teleported instantly and rushed as fast as I could to it. Increasing the health pools is the obvious solution that everyone is throwing out there, but I think that's more of a bandage than a solution. Not that I can think of anything better, mind you.

I also need to learn to click linked coordinates. I kept teleporting to the long hub in zones with two TP points, like southern thanalan. By the time I realize it, it's already too late.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Alakaiser posted:

I really like the hunt in theory, but it's definitely ridiculous right now. I'm in a large linkshell with people calling them out as they spot them, but even if I leave instantly, it was tough for me to get there in peak hours. Right when I got home at 5 ET, it was mostly fine for As (Bs are a lost cause 90% of the time), but by the time it was 10:00 or so, even getting to an S mob was nearly impossible, even if I teleported instantly and rushed as fast as I could to it. Increasing the health pools is the obvious solution that everyone is throwing out there, but I think that's more of a bandage than a solution. Not that I can think of anything better, mind you.

Is Garlok an S Rank? Because people called out Garlok in Costa Del Sol early yesterday morning and despite taking me about 10 minutes to get there (was Hildibrandin'), the dude still had 70% of his life and it took a good 5-6 more minutes to kill him.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Volt Catfish posted:

Is Garlok an S Rank? Because people called out Garlok in Costa Del Sol early yesterday morning and despite taking me about 10 minutes to get there (was Hildibrandin'), the dude still had 70% of his life and it took a good 5-6 more minutes to kill him.

Yes. You can tell it's an S rank just by looking, since they're all huge, and you'll get 50 Seals/200 myth/40 sol for killing it.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Volt Catfish posted:

Yeah, but that kind of ties into my point - early morning certainly doesn't qualify as peak hours (unless you're doing something like playing on an NA server from europe I suppose). The issue is entirely around playing in peak hours which, y'know, a lot of people do. Hence it being peak hours.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Tortolia posted:

I know it's old content at this point, but I ran WP last night for the first time, and I really enjoyed it. They nailed that feeling of "oh gently caress, Tonberries" perfectly.

This game seems to have good level 50 content!

Yep, same here. Last night was my first run in WP. Server lag didn't help any and dear lord, tanking with three tonberries and three skeletons surrounding you means you're not going to live very long.

Just glad it's done....

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
The S-rank Alakaiser is referring to (IIRC, we might have fought two that day) is Minhocao in Northern Thanalan, and it spawned at like 9 PM EST or something. I was there for the FATE that spawns it -- you have to do a gathering FATE but not turn in the items until enough of the monsters are dead -- and I still barely managed to get there before it was down. We had like 60+ people fighting that thing.

The trick is being in a party, because it hugely inflates the credit you receive for killing a mark. I got maybe two or three GCDs in on Minhocao and still got "gold" because I was in a full party.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Is there an optimal way to burn through the last few levels? I'm 47 and man it's taking foreverrrr.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Is there an optimal way to burn through the last few levels? I'm 47 and man it's taking foreverrrr.

47 is slow because there's a break in the story missions but you can do any mix of dungeon grinding (DD has a lot) and guildleves to power through. 48 and 49 have some story quests in there so they seem less tedious.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Make sure you duty roulette each day.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

pksage posted:

The S-rank Alakaiser is referring to (IIRC, we might have fought two that day) is Minhocao in Northern Thanalan, and it spawned at like 9 PM EST or something. I was there for the FATE that spawns it -- you have to do a gathering FATE but not turn in the items until enough of the monsters are dead -- and I still barely managed to get there before it was down. We had like 60+ people fighting that thing.

The trick is being in a party, because it hugely inflates the credit you receive for killing a mark. I got maybe two or three GCDs in on Minhocao and still got "gold" because I was in a full party.

Yeah, there was another one in Western Thanalan near the Ul'dah gate that was even worse. There were so many people there that my computer completely buckled because of it (and I just built this thing a month ago). The game ended up crashing when I tried to teleport back to what I was doing. I had absolutely no chance of getting there in time.

fake edit: I really do like this patch, to be clear. Even if they broke the poo poo out of summoner/scholar pets.

Alakaiser fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 10, 2014

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Dzemael Darkhold speedruns are pretty common in PF and award about 50k XP for 5 minutes of work. The problem is getting in them if you're not a Healer, Tank or BLM or BRD since people want the AOE killing classes. Additionally, Outer (or upper, wherever the kobold dailies are) has FATES that spawn extremely frequently and people tend to run those for 20K XP every few minutes. Many of them are boss FATE's though so you'll likely need a few players to help out down them.

Guildleves in Saint Coinach's in Mor Dhona are also a decent bit of XP but they're not ideal. Reminder, if this is your first level 50 you'll get a lot less XP than people who've already levelled 50's as you get the 50% XP (quests too) bonus to all combat classes lower than your highest class.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

At 47 you have aurum vale unlocked, which will give a good chunk of xp every run. Do the low level dungeon roulette every day, it will give a good chunk of xp. If you are a DPs, work on some of the challenge log challenges, like the fate and leve ones, while waiting in queue.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Alakaiser posted:

fake edit: I really do like this patch, to be clear. Even if they broke the poo poo out of summoner/scholar pets.

Eh? My faeries have been behaving fine. What're you talking about?

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Eh? My faeries have been behaving fine. What're you talking about?

I definitely used hyperbole there, but I have to mash the poo poo out of my fairy abilities to get them to go off now. I've seen other people bringing this up elsewhere, too. I can't say for sure on summoner since I never play it anymore, but someone in my FC was saying it was the case.

I don't macro anything to my fairy abilities, to be clear. It's the standard button.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Alakaiser posted:

I definitely used hyperbole there, but I have to mash the poo poo out of my fairy abilities to get them to go off now. I've seen other people bringing this up elsewhere, too. I can't say for sure on summoner since I never play it anymore, but someone in my FC was saying it was the case.

I don't macro anything to my fairy abilities, to be clear. It's the standard button.

I did notice that I had problems getting contagion to cast on garuda. I would get an error message trying to cast it. I think that in order to get it to cast I had to time it between her casts of her auto attack spell, which usually meant I just spammed it until it went off.

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo

Alakaiser posted:

I was one of the ones complaining about this and FYI this has been acknowledged by Square Enix as a new bug:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/178790-scholar-summoner-pets-unresponsive-to-user-input-to-cast-cooldown-spells-on-obey

twinight
Aug 25, 2004
They're less responsive to input but dramatically more aggressive about Embracing, if they can keep the Embrace aggression while allowing queued ability input again that'd be pretty ideal.

They're nearly back to the chain-casting of yore; this is most blatant if you put Selene on sic. During any reasonable fight she'll have a hard time finding the time to cast her own buffs automatically (instead of doing it every 30s like clockwork) because she's too busy healing like crazy.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Chuch posted:

I was one of the ones complaining about this and FYI this has been acknowledged by Square Enix as a new bug:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/178790-scholar-summoner-pets-unresponsive-to-user-input-to-cast-cooldown-spells-on-obey

Huh, fair enough. Maybe it's because I have Whispering Dawn macrobound to Rouse? :shrug: But yeah, I was never having any issues getting Whispering Dawn to fire off when I needed it, and I haven't done anything hard enough to need either Fey spell, so maybe that was it.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...
Experienced a weird bug in Coil2 last night -- Our scholar suddenly stopped being able to cast spells on us and vice versa. When we tried, we got an error message citing 'Aetherial Interference' as the reason why we couldn't

Exiting and re-entering worked, but seriously, :wtf:.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

This hunt system sounds a lot like more Odin nonsense.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

My general method is Saint Coinach's leves to get the levequest challenge log entry bonus (so just do 20), do hunting log at 48, then do fates in Mor Dhona for that challenge log bonus. Along with LLDR (enough times to get the challenge log bonus again) I did these last night in about 3 hours on Paladin to go from 46-50. It'll be a little slower on a first 50 though.

Basically: challenge log is awesome.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

PhilippAchtel posted:

This hunt system sounds a lot like more Odin nonsense.

It's Odin but shittier because the enemies have 1/100th the HP Odin does, even the S-ranks, and there's fun stuff locked behind the seals. It really is one of the shitties things from XI brought over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The main problem with hunts right now, at least on my server, is that everybody is trying to direct raid-sized groups to share credit for solo-able enemies. It just doesn't work unless everybody is already there, or you are gathering to fight an actual S rank. It may suck for the others in your linkshells but for Bs and As your best option is to roll with a dedicated hunting group (to maximize your rewards) and murder those things the moment you see them. This will, of course, also result in a lot of pissing and moaning in /shout.

Also, the allied seal costs for most things are absurdly low compared to how fast you can farm them. It barely takes any time at all to get a full myth jewelry set for yourself and another for your retainer. The disparity in cost for reagan peppers between allied and GC seals is especially hilarious.

• Locked thread