Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Method Loser posted:

Hey! I remember him! The one that kept preaching how bad safety equipment was.

Then died in a bike wreck.

Other way round. SMB123 was a safety equipment nazi, swore everyone else was going to die if they so much as cruised down to the gas station to fill up without dressing as a power ranger. Then he highsided into a street sign. Fully dressed of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Method Loser posted:

Hey! I remember him! The one that kept preaching how bad safety equipment was.

Then died in a bike wreck.

I remember some custom titles about him but I think that was just before my time in AI.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

trouser chili posted:

Other way round. SMB123 was a safety equipment nazi, swore everyone else was going to die if they so much as cruised down to the gas station to fill up without dressing as a power ranger. Then he highsided into a street sign. Fully dressed of course.

Where is the story on that one?

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

blk posted:

What do you drive?

Also, is rennlist still the one-stop shop for Porsche questions?

Pelican Parts has a decent forum as well, I usually cruise between that and rennlist for any Porsche digging I may need to do.

edit: I find the Pelican Parts for sale section is always littered with plenty of air cooled porsches.

shoopeach fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 9, 2014

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blk posted:

Talked to the Porsche seller; they don't know why its sagging. There's 133k on the body. What concerns me most is there's apparently rust in the front near the battery. I've never dealt with that before and don't know how to.

A pre-galvanization Porsche with rust in the hellhole, a sagging rear end, and a bit of lipstick on it selling at market rate for a decent "driver" grade example?

Yeah.....if you really want one and have that kind of money to spend get on Rennlist and find something that isn't a pit of despair.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

What the gently caress is going on here? I'd jump on this immediately if not for the "registered in Oregon, not in CA" and "AS-IS and cash only". $3200 for an 850 with 36,000 miles? Is it stolen? Help what do I do

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If it's a scam, it's a weird one. My best guess is that it won't pass CA smog for some reason, making it unregisterable (except as non-op) until it's fixed, and the owner doesn't want to gently caress with it. Failing to pass smog could be as simple as a cracked gas vapor cannister hose, or as bad as a cracked engine block, so who knows.

The usually ubiquitous phrase that is conspicuously missing from that ad is "runs good."

By the way, I think it's technically illegal for him to sell it in California as an operating vehicle, because the law requires he have a smog cert from within the last (I think it's) 90 days.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

trouser chili posted:

This is ten years ago on an internet forum and my memory is poo poo so I guess I'll take your word on it, but I could have sworn he was the one advocating riding without a helmet before dying.

EDIT:
Or was he the annoying prick who was a nazi about people 'not being able to handle their bikes' and smashed while overriding a highpo (R6? R1? Busa?) bike on public roads. Maybe that was it.

Method Loser fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 10, 2014

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

atomicthumbs posted:

What the gently caress is going on here? I'd jump on this immediately if not for the "registered in Oregon, not in CA" and "AS-IS and cash only". $3200 for an 850 with 36,000 miles? Is it stolen? Help what do I do

Well, assuming it hasn't failed inspection for some reason (emissions) I think it is just a case of the guy not wanting to pay the fees.
It cost about $500 to get my mother's car registered when she moved California 12 years ago. Probably a lot more these days.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
It's not that bad. My Miata was plated for Washington and IIRC, it was 100 - 200 for initial CA registration, not including new plate fee. I'm certain it wasn't more than 300. This was last year

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Method Loser posted:

EDIT:
Or was he the annoying prick who was a nazi about people 'not being able to handle their bikes' and smashed while overriding a highpo (R6? R1? Busa?) bike on public roads. Maybe that was it.

The R6 guy you're thinking of may be Abunchofnumbers, aka Backpanther. A man incapable of listening to the advice of others. https://encyclopediadramatica.es/Abunchofnumbers

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Coredump posted:

The R6 guy you're thinking of may be Abunchofnumbers, aka Backpanther. A man incapable of listening to the advice of others. https://encyclopediadramatica.es/Abunchofnumbers

Holy poo poo, that couldn't get any worse.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

Holy poo poo, that couldn't get any worse.

He didn't die from the bike wreck. He lost his right arm and got a settlement, then proceeded to buy a manual Corvette. He died from an infection related to the lost arm.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Noeland posted:

He didn't die from the bike wreck. He lost his right arm and got a settlement, then proceeded to buy a manual Corvette. He died from an infection related to the lost arm.

The link says he bought a Lamborghini.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

Nocheez posted:

The link says he bought a Lamborghini.

His payout was something like $160k, doubt he bought a Lambo.

Edit: ED also says it was $900k, but I don't believe it, considering he said in IRC that he bought a Corvette.

Noeland fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 10, 2014

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Wait backpanther died?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Method Loser posted:

This is ten years ago on an internet forum and my memory is poo poo so I guess I'll take your word on it, but I could have sworn he was the one advocating riding without a helmet before dying.

EDIT:

He was an annoying prick about safety gear. We often butted heads because I would advocate for riding helmet-less if you liked it and were willing to accept that risk. SMB123 found that basically unthinkable because he wouldn't ride to the corner store without boots, pants, jacket, back protector, helmet and gloves, all armored of course. I was fine with that, it's his choice of course. I just wanted him to understand that other people can and should make their own choices. I think we had come to an understanding, but any time someone else came along with a opinion different than his, he was right up their rear end about safety gear again.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Noeland posted:

His payout was something like $160k, doubt he bought a Lambo.

The link says it was $900,000. You should check it out, so we don't have to keep replying back and forth :)

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

trouser chili posted:

He was an annoying prick about safety gear. We often butted heads because I would advocate for riding helmet-less if you liked it and were willing to accept that risk. SMB123 found that basically unthinkable because he wouldn't ride to the corner store without boots, pants, jacket, back protector, helmet and gloves, all armored of course. I was fine with that, it's his choice of course. I just wanted him to understand that other people can and should make their own choices. I think we had come to an understanding, but any time someone else came along with a opinion different than his, he was right up their rear end about safety gear again.

I am fine with people riding without any safety gear, as long as they are organ donors. If you need a transplant, move to florida. People ride year round and don't have to wear helmets!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
But if I get organs from a Floridian will it make me want to have dinner at 4pm?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

But if I get organs from a Floridian will it make me want to have dinner at 4pm?
Eventually, we all will. :smith:

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Elephanthead posted:

But if I get organs from a Floridian will it make me into a redneck?

Also quite possible.

(What ever happened to those kinds of movies?)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
seeing as the 850 was a probable piece of junk being sold by a liar, here's something that's the polar opposite: an actually good, expensive, rear-wheel drive sedan

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

trouser chili posted:

Oh okay, so you're the retard. Sorry, SMB123.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Ugh.. Assuming clearance isn't an issue, is there any way to put some aftermarket headers on that thing and keep in legal in California?

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
Saw this lovely thing show up locally.

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/4566162164.html

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Speaking of awesome volvo's, I want this

Rare 1983 242 GLT TURBO - $3450 (burlington)

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Oh, Burlington WA not Burlington VT. :smith:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
This NA 244 seems pretty clean: http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/4540326262.html

I like the blue on cream, works well.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
No pictures, but fairly certain we looked at a stolen car on Craigslist yesterday. Guy gave us an address where nobody was home, but there were two guys waiting there looking to buy a different car. They had the same contact phone number that we did. We eventually got a hold of the guy who said to come meet him at a different address around the corner. We figured it was a bad idea, but curiosity got the best of us. The other guys took off.

The car was way different than advertised, and had clearly been in a major accident and very poorly repaired. I asked the seller about the guys at the other address and asked why they had his phone number. He got nervous, said it wasn't his phone number (it very much was), and drove off.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 24, 2019

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Extra posted:

That's sexy as gently caress and for $2500 if it's not rusty why the hell is it not sold yet?

Welcome to the PNW, the home of old volvo's(and mostly rust free cars).

Seriously, I had a ton of friends who had 240's as their first cars.

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

So I have to go buy this now.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

PleasusChrist posted:

So I have to go buy this now.

You at least have to go look at it and report back what it actually is.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

The reason that 850 isn't registered in CA and is for sale so cheap is because it's a schedule J vehicle which means it's a nightmare to smog every goddamn time which involves multiple trips to a smog shop, a written letter by the smog technician that it won't pass smog because of too many monitors open that will never close (even though that's the condition it's on the schedule J) and finally a trip to the referee station where it will finally be deemed road worthy which takes no less than 25 hours every time. Needless to say, schedule J is an ultra secret type of thing that seemingly no smog shop has ever heard of. I had to google to see why the monitors would stay open and it lead me down the rabbit hole of CA smog bullshit. Burn in hell car, I will never miss you! Chances are the guy selling that vehicle is running into the same thing but hasn't googled far enough. Also 36k miles!!! (odometer 38000) in ad.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Great example of why I will probably never own an aircooled 911 :negative:

BringATrailer Link

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IOwnCalculus posted:

BringATrailer Link

Oh what the gently caress. For that kind of money I'll just pick up a 964 and take it to Singer.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Ugh, air cooled 911's used to a bit of a bargain, but have soared in price lately.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

BringATrailer Link

I saw that earlier and though,"Welp, that price is loving retarded." I'm seeing it again and thinking the same thing. It probably has more to do with the auction company and where it's being sold at more than the actual car though. Countdown until we see VW camper vans from the 80's skyrocket to 100k+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Better hold onto Grandma's Dodge Dynasty, that could be worth MILLIONS!!