Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Don't you hate on Labby's dumb accent. It's the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Isn't "labrys" (the two headed axe) like another icon for femininity/lesbians?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Excels posted:

Yep. Not sure why though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It was at some point for a short time, but it's meant to tie into the Greek mythos/Minotaur theme that Labrys has going on.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Beef Waifu posted:

Ken's still being voiced by Mona Marshall.

dammit

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Excels posted:

So "the ol' battleaxe" doubled!

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Dunno if anyone else watched the CEO finals, but BK and Lk are my anime heroes. Fantastic set guys.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What's Labrys accent in Japanese?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kansai

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

As I understand it, Kansai is usually translated into a Southern accent, so them going Brooklyn for Labrys is unusual even aside from the fact it's a very strange attempt at it.

I think it fits to have her talking in a weird, not-quite-right accent, though. It was a glitch, who says it has to come out sounding right?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Kansai is usually translated into a Southern accent simply because the Southern accent is more recognizable, I think, whereas the cultural implications of the accents are different. The Southern accent carries with it connotations of a rural lifestyle and lower education (however inaccurate that may be in real life), whereas Kansai-ben is associated with the fast-talking, humorous type of person. I think the Brooklyn accent fits into that archetype better.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kansai has been localized into a Brooklyn style of talking in the past too, it's not entirely unusual that a company decides to go with that. I can think of quite a few characters they've done it for, such as one Furio Tigre of Ace Attorney.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I hate the Kansai = Southern thing they have going in a lot of JRPGs because sometimes they just cannot refrain from adding a bunch of unnecessary filler idioms to make everyone sound like they're inbred cowboys/girls.

Also, reading dialogue in all faux southern accent is just painful and annoying.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jun 28, 2014

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

AG3 posted:

I hate the Kansai = Southern thing they have going in a lot of JRPGs because sometimes they just cannot refrain from adding a bunch of unnecessary filler idioms to make everyone sound like they're inbred cowboys/girls.

Also, reading dialogue in all faux southern accent is just painful and annoying.

Devil Summoner 2 was such a misery because of this last bit.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Oxxidation posted:

Devil Summoner 2 was such a misery because of this last bit.

And that's why the Law path in that game is the objectively correct!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
And sure enough it turns out Adachi's character spot is the bottom middle of the game. Also the English version of his title is "Egocentric Police Dick" and he'll be free for launch in North America.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/07/01/persona-4-arena-ultimax-adachi-free-dlc-launch-americas/

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

And sure enough it turns out Adachi's character spot is the bottom middle of the game. Also the English version of his title is "Egocentric Police Dick" and he'll be free for launch in North America.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/07/01/persona-4-arena-ultimax-adachi-free-dlc-launch-americas/
Oh wow, they actually gave a Joker (the DC Comics one) alt to Adachi. I was not expecting that.

Although, I swear I've seen the other green-haired alt in that article somewhere before.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I really liked "Cabbage Detective" but you can't get everything in life

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

AradoBalanga posted:

Oh wow, they actually gave a Joker (the DC Comics one) alt to Adachi. I was not expecting that.

Although, I swear I've seen the other green-haired alt in that article somewhere before.

That's the Yuki Terumi alt, also known as Blazblue's own Adachi (The Persona color is also a reference to his astral heat).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGKQ1x92nes

Excels posted:

I really liked "Cabbage Detective" but you can't get everything in life

I'm sort of disappointed the cabbage isn't there but we got a really good pun out of it, so it's all good.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 1, 2014

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
"Egocentric Police Dick" works on so many levels. It captures his former career, his attitude, and the body part he thinks with the most.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

That's the Yuki Terumi alt, also known as Blazblue's own Adachi (The Persona color is also a reference to his astral heat).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGKQ1x92nes
Ah. I got Terumi confused with Hazama, who I think is...Naoto's Blazblue-inspired alt?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I completely disagree about JP vs English voices. The English ones are clearly better to me. Usually JRPGs have terrible English voice acting but this cast is one case where they managed to improve it.

Also I'm hyped for this game, so many new characters and it should keep me busy until Guilty Gear finally comes.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I have to say, for a game that goes with using words like 'nads' to avoid explicit sexual language I'm surprised they used 'Dick'.

Really looking forward to the game myself, though not really looking forward to running into tens of Shos online.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

I have to say, for a game that goes with using words like 'nads' to avoid explicit sexual language I'm surprised they used 'Dick'.
They technically mean it in the 'police detective' context, so it's not really explicit sexual language. I mean, the double entendre's obviously there, but.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

New P4U2 console trailer, showing off new features, some extra story stuff, and another two seconds of Adachi footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3RLE0P9oXQ

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

S-Alpha posted:

New P4U2 console trailer, showing off new features, some extra story stuff, and another two seconds of Adachi footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3RLE0P9oXQ

"But first, would you like to see a totally unrelated 15 year old girl in a bikini?"

>Yes
>Yes

e:THEY ACTUALLY MADE THAT TITLEBELT IMAGE THE COVER oh god that is a very nice looking special edition

Excels fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 10, 2014

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
So I guess Persona 4 Arena Ultimax will be region free. Wonder what that means for the Japanese voice acting?

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/07/10/persona-4-arena-ultimax-will-region-free-says-atlus-usa/

Rejoice Europeans!

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 10, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

And for those of you who are capable of watching streams in the middle of the afternoon, there's a P4U2 stream going up on Atlus' twitch page. Doesn't look like Adachi is playable, but I saw a bit of Rise.

http://www.twitch.tv/atlususa

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Shadow Labrys is running a train on everyone, so there isn't much time to check out the new characters. :(

EDIT: Ahahaha, the Junes theme is now a choice for stage music.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

AtlusUSA confirming they have not received any info about P5 either. So I guess it remains a mystery

An upsetting number of people don't think P1/P2 have any connection to the rest of the series. A bunch don't even think they're canon.

Excels fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 12, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Also the AtlusUSA staff talking on Twitch hasn't played Persona 1 or 2. Unsurprisingly.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why is any of this important?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Excels fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 12, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikSTE_ms0HU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikSTE_ms0HU

Videos featuring analysis on characters, the changes they've received, and other good Persona stuff. Video 1 covers Yu, Yosuke, Mitsuru, and Sho. Video 2 covers Yukiko, Yukari, and Shadow Yu. Notable thing, to distinguish the Shos more in the English version they are calling the regular Sho by his first name and Persona Sho by Minazuki, only. Videos are long as hell, but there are annotations to jump to the characters you want.

Also here's the stream from a few weeks ago in case you missed Rise and Ken stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkaljYSxhWU

Rise's localized title is The Scandalous Superstar Idol.
Kenomaru's localized tile is The Pretentious Tenderfoot Duo.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jul 12, 2014

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
So Shadow Chie can do 7k in 5 hits with the shadow burst mechanic. That's a little.... interesting.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I feel the character that got shafted the most with the VA changes is Margaret. It's just so... noticeably different.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh lord, here we go again. Another early Famitsu leak is out from the same guy who brought us the Adachi, Rise, and Ken leaks. (Take it with a grain of salt anyways.) Apparently we've got a new DLC character on the way come console release, and it'll be Marie, sporting Kaguya as a Persona.

Not the best choice, I'd say, but whatever.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

S-Alpha posted:

Oh lord, here we go again. Another early Famitsu leak is out from the same guy who brought us the Adachi, Rise, and Ken leaks. (Take it with a grain of salt anyways.) Apparently we've got a new DLC character on the way come console release, and it'll be Marie, sporting Kaguya as a Persona.

Not the best choice, I'd say, but whatever.

The good thing about her being DLC is you can choose not to buy her

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Eh, it's kind of mandatory if you're planning on bringing a setup to a tournament/casuals, or want to use training mode to grind out parts of the matchup that give you trouble, or any other number of reasons. You can't just bank on "Well, maybe nobody will use her".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

S-Alpha posted:

Eh, it's kind of mandatory if you're planning on bringing a setup to a tournament/casuals, or want to use training mode to grind out parts of the matchup that give you trouble, or any other number of reasons. You can't just bank on "Well, maybe nobody will use her".

whoosh

I'm not exactly thrilled about that announcement but whatever, more characters oh boy.

• Locked thread