Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
What are your guys opinions on tramplers in general? I often find myself just buying normal troops for nations like Hinnom or Berytos and only buying them for nations that can't expand easily without them like EA Arco or the various monkey nations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

amuayse posted:

What are your guys opinions on tramplers in general? I often find myself just buying normal troops for nations like Hinnom or Berytos and only buying them for nations that can't expand easily without them like EA Arco or the various monkey nations.

I've found that they're very good against chaff - a trampler can make short work of skelespam.

E: Actually small packs might be good as raiders. If you've got the gold and don't want to worry about thugs, sending out a pack of tramplers is a good way to smush PD. It's also a great way to defend against thugs - I had an EA TC PD commander take an enemy bane lord down to single digit HP.

ChickenWing fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 8, 2014

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
How do you play the undead soul gate LA people?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Fallorn posted:

Don't they're bad.

If you absolutely must, take an N9 bless, dom 10, luck 3 and magic 3 and then whatever else you feel like and use Lemur Consuls as immortal thugs. This won't work and you will still lose and die in a real game against real people but it will not work better than anything else you can try.

Oh and always take an awake pretender with at least D3 otherwise you can't do poo poo (literally Lemuria don't even start with a mage like Ermor do)

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Fallorn posted:

Research burden of time and cast it. Congratulations, you have successfully trolled a game as Lemuria.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Fallorn posted:

Make a mod that makes them significantly less lovely, and by hook or by crook get people in on the game. Esp. LA Pan.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Speaking of lovely. do any of the nations teach you bad habits cause its how it works for them and only them kind of deal?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Playing in a 5+ person game. I picked EA Berytos. Are there any fun Pretender builds out there? If you have something, please PM me because one of the jerks I am playing against posts in this thread.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Lemuria is fine, but people will rush you down, so you probably won't win. Take an awake god with awful scales except for Luck 3 and Magic 3. Take an awake god with Death 3. Take a good bless for your thugs and summon immortal thugs. Realize your ghosts are not good but that's ok.

EVIR Gibson posted:

Playing in a 5+ person game. I picked EA Berytos. Are there any fun Pretender builds out there? If you have something, please PM me because one of the jerks I am playing against posts in this thread.

There are no fun pretender builds anywhere.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

EVIR Gibson posted:

Well you are a blood nation, so order+growth is nice to have. You can get a N9E4 Great Mother for your colossi to expand with and later to buff your demons and Melqarts. Or you could go for a semi rainbow Imprisoned Fountain build so you have well rounded sacreds and the ability to forge boosters for your mages to start cranking out demons.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Fallorn posted:

I like to go the full life-sucking route: Death 3 and drain 3 scales, Death 10 pretender.

In my test game even provinces with 10000+ people in it ended up dead and empty in no time flat. :getin:

Now I wish I was allowed to play megadeath-Lemuria in MP, since trying to win with death only looks like a challenge.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Libluini posted:

I like to go the full life-sucking route: Death 3 and drain 3 scales, Death 10 pretender.

In my test game even provinces with 10000+ people in it ended up dead and empty in no time flat. :getin:

Now I wish I was allowed to play megadeath-Lemuria in MP, since trying to win with death only looks like a challenge.

Lemuria's ghost spawn is affected by magic scales; specifically the good fear-having ghosts. Their mages are also super expensive so drain 3 is a terrible idea.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
The downside to magic 3 is loving up the MR on your undead making banish hurt even more.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Libluini posted:

lemuria has a bunch of astral and also minor water and air. also im in my like fifth or sixth game as lemuria you can be the change you want in the world. also also dom10 death 10 is easy to fit in even without going drain

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

Lemuria's ghost spawn is affected by magic scales; specifically the good fear-having ghosts. Their mages are also super expensive so drain 3 is a terrible idea.

Which means it's the best idea I ever had. :v:

Less spawn to juggle around, and an additional handicap for free. Sweet!

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
So could someone explain how Ritual of Returning works when being horror-attacked (with Astral Corruption up, if that's relevant) because it just doesn't seem to work in this case. I've tried mages not being in the capital (obviously), and I've tried mages not being in the same province as the one they cast it in, but neither works. Am I missing something?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

FnF posted:

So could someone explain how Ritual of Returning works when being horror-attacked (with Astral Corruption up, if that's relevant) because it just doesn't seem to work in this case. I've tried mages not being in the capital (obviously), and I've tried mages not being in the same province as the one they cast it in, but neither works. Am I missing something?

You mean for horror attacks? It will return you upon taking damage. However, you do have to actually survive the attack so if it's some weakling babby mage you need to also crystal heart/elixir of life him since your average horror will one shot a 10hp mage most of the time.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You mean for horror attacks? It will return you upon taking damage. However, you do have to actually survive the attack so if it's some weakling babby mage you need to also crystal heart/elixir of life him since your average horror will one shot a 10hp mage most of the time.

So if I understand you, you mean that if the mage can survive being one-shotted, it'll work?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

FnF posted:

So if I understand you, you mean that if the mage can survive being one-shotted, it'll work?

That is correct. Thus mages with 2 forms are ideal.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
Well I guess that explains it then. Thanks for clearing that up!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Stevefin posted:

Speaking of lovely. do any of the nations teach you bad habits cause its how it works for them and only them kind of deal?
Not really?

Arguably Middle Era Ermor, I guess, because they have somewhat-viable troops (after buffing, at least, and against most but not all nations) that autospawn, but it kills your population so your gold income is not so much curtailed as curfuckingruined, except for events, meaning you can utterly trash your scales to get a very good awake pretender together.

On the other hand, you're still going to be learning how different types and trees of magic affect the undead and living differently, and you do still need to do some recruitment and fort/lab/temple construction.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Water nations give bad habits. They allow you to play passively which usually results in a loss in any MP environment.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
For the purpose of annoying griefing, underwater nations are pretty fun.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

EVIR Gibson posted:

I find it's impossible not to have fun with an N9 dom9 green dragon.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

jBrereton posted:

Not really?

Arguably Middle Era Ermor, I guess, because they have somewhat-viable troops (after buffing, at least, and against most but not all nations) that autospawn, but it kills your population so your gold income is not so much curtailed as curfuckingruined, except for events, meaning you can utterly trash your scales to get a very good awake pretender together.

On the other hand, you're still going to be learning how different types and trees of magic affect the undead and living differently, and you do still need to do some recruitment and fort/lab/temple construction.

Okay I just wanted to make sure a nation was not giving me bad habits

I did try Middle Era Ermor. however it went down hill very quickly as one AI just had nothing but priests and a battle was lost before any combat could happen on my side

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

TheDemon posted:

I find it's impossible not to have fun with an N9 dom9 green dragon.

If you are not the owner of that dragon it's very unfun. :saddowns:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Wait I thought green dragons were terrible and dragon gas was useless HAVE I BEEN LIED TO?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Neruz posted:

Wait I thought green dragons were terrible and dragon gas was useless HAVE I BEEN LIED TO?

Green dragons can cast sleep cloud, which gets pretty dumb in a hurry.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Neruz posted:

Green Dragons and Blue Dragons have the best spells, combat and ritual. You must decide for yourself which better fits your nation.

Green: sleep cloud, regeneration, panic, mother oak, gift of health

Blue: quickness, liquid body, W evos (v good dsmage), Vengeful Water,

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Yeah green dragon gets pasted early by skeles but is also a very safe battlecaster for actual army fights. Spamming sleep cloud with an N9 mage wrecks most sacred rushes or early armies with absolutely no risk and makes you really dangerous really fast.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Green Dragon gets a lot of hate but functions perfectly well for the purpose of expansion like the others. His breath may not be as killy but the poison will generate morale checks all over the place and lead to routes all the same.

If you want an awake SC with strong N or N9 bless he's not a bad choice.

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014
Doesn't W have so-so evocations until it hits Falling frost? Slime is nice on W1 casters, but nothing really good for W9 casters.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

2014-07-09 21:24:07 +0200
Crown of Overmight autocasts its spell
Coast & cave income bonus for forts printed
No coast fort income bonus during storms or ice
Disciples have half the prison time of pretenders
New modding commands: #uwok, #nouw
Some pretender cost changes
Caelum can no longer have the Virtue
Berytos coast income bonus 25 -> 10
Flails extra bad underwater
Spenta and Gannag lose invulnerability
Ahura of water has reduced retinue

Balance time.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
What the hell is with all these sudden UI improvements; have the devs decided that it's actually a good idea if the players understand how the game works?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Neruz posted:

What the hell is with all these sudden UI improvements; have the devs decided that it's actually a good idea if the players understand how the game works?

By pricing the game effectively and putting it on steam they are ACTUALLY MAKING SOME MONEY.

This changes priorities a bit i hear

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neruz posted:

The game has a looong way to come to have a decent UI, this part
"Coast & cave income bonus for forts printed" is barely a drop in the ocean.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

Yeah they asked what we wanted so stuff like Communion membership and ambidexterity is now actually really clear.

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN

jBrereton posted:

Yeah they asked what we wanted so stuff like Communion membership and ambidexterity is now actually really clear.
Wait what? Did they visit the something awful dot com forums and read my bitching about how we still need to whip out Excel to calculate communion fatigue, taking into account encumbrance, communion size, slave and master paths, battle and item buffs etc?

Because I haven't checked in a while but I'll bet dimes to dollars that all they did is remove reverse communions.

e: nice!

immolationsex fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jul 11, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

immolationsex posted:

Wait what? Did they visit the something awful dot com forums and read my bitching about how we still need to whip out Excel to calculate communion fatigue, taking into account encumbrance, communion size, slave and master paths, battle and item buffs etc?

Because I haven't checked in a while but I'll bet dimes to dollars that all they did is remove reverse communions.

When a mage casts a communion spell they now get a little buff that says whether they are a Master or a Slave, how much the communion is boosting each path and how many slaves are in the communion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
So fun fact for everyone today that I discovered that I could not find mention of ANYWHERE. If you have the Perpetual Storm global up (because I had to have a way to ground Arco's flying circus of 200 wind riders), then Seeking Arrows can be blow off course and fail to hit anything.

• Locked thread