Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

ThermoPhysical posted:

Crossposting from the Chromecast thread since it's Android only:

http://chrome.blogspot.com/2014/07/mirror-your-android-screen-to-tv-with.html
https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6059461

It's now possible to cast a device's screen over to your Chromecast (it even works fine by casting sound as well).

So far, only these devices are supported:
Nexus 4
Nexus 5
Nexus 7 (2013)
Nexus 10
Samsung Galaxy S4
Samsung Galaxy S4 (Google Play Edition)
Samsung Galaxy S5
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Samsung Galaxy Note 10
HTC One M7
HTC One M7 (Google Play Edition)
LG G3
LG G2
LG G Pro 2

You can use the Chromecast (updated today to 1.7) or the Quick Settings option. You can also do it in Settings > Device > Cast Screen.

This feature is for 4.4.1 and above.

Not the M8? Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
It looks like I'm running 4.2.2 but it won't seem to let me update to 4.3?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Avian Pneumonia posted:

It looks like I'm running 4.2.2 but it won't seem to let me update to 4.3?

Was this the Verizon one? It never got 4.3 and was stuck at 4.2.2 :mad:

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

Was this the Verizon one? It never got 4.3 and was stuck at 4.2.2 :mad:

Correct.
I've backed everything up (I hope) so I guess I'm ready to go. Just not sure where to start and how to do this safely.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Crossposting from the Chromecast thread since it's Android only:

http://chrome.blogspot.com/2014/07/mirror-your-android-screen-to-tv-with.html
https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6059461

It's now possible to cast a device's screen over to your Chromecast (it even works fine by casting sound as well).

So far, only these devices are supported:
Nexus 4
Nexus 5
Nexus 7 (2013)
Nexus 10
Samsung Galaxy S4
Samsung Galaxy S4 (Google Play Edition)
Samsung Galaxy S5
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Samsung Galaxy Note 10
HTC One M7
HTC One M7 (Google Play Edition)
LG G3
LG G2
LG G Pro 2

You can use the Chromecast (updated today to 1.7) or the Quick Settings option. You can also do it in Settings > Device > Cast Screen.

This feature is for 4.4.1 and above.

quote:

Support for additional devices coming soon

Maybe someday in my lifetime.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Correct.
I've backed everything up (I hope) so I guess I'm ready to go. Just not sure where to start and how to do this safely.
Just flash it in fastboot if you have that installed.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Correct.
If a factory reset doesn't help, and you have root on the phone, you might want to check out LagFix (fstrim).
It gave my old Nexus S another 6 months of life before I finally got a Nexus 5.
The free version lets you run a Trim command manually and the paid version lets you schedule it.
Read up on the FAQ first though, as I have no clue if it will work on your phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fart of Presto posted:

If a factory reset doesn't help, and you have root on the phone, you might want to check out LagFix (fstrim).
It gave my old Nexus S another 6 months of life before I finally got a Nexus 5.
The free version lets you run a Trim command manually and the paid version lets you schedule it.
Read up on the FAQ first though, as I have no clue if it will work on your phone.
It will but as you said it requires root.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

They don't mention what phones they bought, what versions of Android they were on, and if the data was stored on the SD card or on the internal memory.
Avast posted some of their methodology details today, although shame on them for not posting them before the PR blitz.

They mention the DROID RAZR as a device they were able to recover details from using a mass storage mount. The other methods they used were extracting an "adb backup" dump, which implies the original device was never factory reset to begin with; and performing a block scan, which requires a rooted device.

So, look, as long as you perform a factory reset this isn't an issue on Nexus devices. Stock recovery secure erases the entire userdata partition, which includes /data and the emulated /sdcard. Custom recoveries are less safe here, because they don't actually erase the partition but recursively delete everything outside /data/media since the kids started complaining about how their ritual factory resets was blowing away their "sdcard".

Furthermore, doing a block scan of even a non-erased device requires rooting. Nominally rooting a Nexus device involves a userdata wipe, so problem solved. The catch is when a Nexus device is rooted with an exploit, but that's an attack vector for pretty much any popular consumer electronics device.

The only thing that Android doesn't do that iOS does is it doesn't encrypt userdata unless encryption is enabled and a PIN is provided. The only way to securely do encryption to protect against block scans without a user provided key is to store the key inside a TPM or some other crypto module. This is something Samsung does with Knox, so we may see it show up on L-release hardware.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Furthermore, doing a block scan of even a non-erased device requires rooting. Nominally rooting a Nexus device involves a userdata wipe, so problem solved. The catch is when a Nexus device is rooted with an exploit, but that's an attack vector for pretty much any popular consumer electronics device.
Even then though a userdata wipe is basically a "quick format," right? fastboot -w would take hours if not.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Avast posted some of their methodology details today

So this basically amounts to nothing for normal people (who hopefully remove their beloved SD cards when applicable).

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Avast posted some of their methodology details today, although shame on them for not posting them before the PR blitz.
They mentioned this:

quote:

When a file is deleted, the operating system merely deletes the corresponding pointers in the file table and marks the space occupied by the file as free.
Which I don't believe is entirely correct in 4.3+ as trim will come in and blow it away shortly thereafter.

kitten smoothie posted:

Even then though a userdata wipe is basically a "quick format," right? fastboot -w would take hours if not.
This should be trimmed as well.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

LastInLine posted:

It will but as you said it requires root.

Shiny ROM is touted as as close to stock android for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus as you can get, and the ROM isn't rooted by default if that's something you were looking to avoid.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Which I don't believe is entirely correct in 4.3+ as trim will come in and blow it away shortly thereafter.
TRIM only notifies the storage controller that a block's been freed. What happens after that is up to said controller, Android's not involved from that point on.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

They mentioned this:

This should be trimmed as well.

Flash storage is never "erased" until some new data is written to the same area. So unless you're writing the entire thing with 0's or something, the data is potentially still there. Pretty sure this is due to not wanting to decrease the lifespan of the storage.

It's why from a security standpoint you never want to write anything sensitive to flash storage unprotected. Considering a whopping 15%ish of people actually use a pin/key to unlock their android devices, and probably even less of those people use encryption on the device, it's no surprise they were able to collect what they did.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

withoutclass posted:

Flash storage is never "erased" until some new data is written to the same area.
Only if you want your writes to be soul-crushingly slow. That's what trim is actually for, with the added benefit of destroying data.
http://forensic.belkasoft.com/en/why-ssd-destroy-court-evidence

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
So there's another layer here. eMMC devices, like other modern large-volume flash devices, don't expose raw storage outside the controller but present a logical block space. Internally the eMMC controller runs software, commonly referred to as the Flash Translation Layer (FTL), to map logical blocks onto raw blocks. This is done primarily for wear leveling, but the software itself is relatively complex and highly proprietary. Good stuff.

Anyways, what's supposed to happen is that eMMC devices support two commands. The "erase" command is issued by the operating system (where it's also known as "trim" or "discard") whenever a block is deleted, and it tells the eMMC to drop the FTL mappping for that virtual block so that the underlying raw block can be reused. The data isn't necessarily deleted, that's true, but it can't be recovered either though software methods. So, generally speaking, anytime you delete a file in Android, it's not supposed to be recoverable, but it's also not guaranteed that it can't be recovered. The command exists essentially for performance and efficiency purposes (think of the 2012 N7 before Android 4.3), it's not intended as a security mechanism.

The second command is "secure erase", which is issued by make_ext4fs (via the BLKSECDISCARD ioctl) when the userdata partition is reformatted in stock recovery. Upon receiving this command, the eMMC controller is supposed to erase the raw blocks in addition to dropping the block mappings. Note that the flash controller can erase multiple blocks simultaneously, so it's not necessarily a slow operation. Afterwards, data from the erased blocks is supposed to be unrecoverable through any means.

Now, the reality is that eMMC controllers contain unauditable code, and we basically have to trust that they do the right thing in absence of OS-level encryption. Also, FWIW, the SGS2 brickbug was actually an eMMC controller bug in handling the secure erase command. The fix, unfortunately, both officially and unofficially was to use the regular "erase" command even on a factory reset. So while the data shouldn't be recoverable, the fact that the bug existed resulted in pause and a good deal of distrust in these funny eMMC commands. So in that sense, everyone got Samsunged.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Just flash it in fastboot if you have that installed.

http://lifehacker.com/the-easiest-way-to-install-androids-adb-and-fastboot-to-1586992378

This here?
Can/should I also just hit the factory reset button in settings?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Avian Pneumonia posted:

http://lifehacker.com/the-easiest-way-to-install-androids-adb-and-fastboot-to-1586992378

This here?
Can/should I also just hit the factory reset button in settings?
Yep, that guide looks pretty good. By flashing the stock image everything will be erased, internal storage included.

Download the image here (you want the mysid/toro 4.2.2 image), extract it and put in the folder it runs from, and unlock the bootloader if you haven't already ("fastboot oem unlock") then run the flash-all script from the package.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

leidend posted:

Not me.

On topic, are there any android wearables that are visible in the sun? This seems like a big problem that's not being talked about much.

My Gear Fit might as well be off on a sunny day, even on highest brightness.
I took my Gear Live out for a skate today, in mostly sunny conditions. I had no problem interacting with it, and it was totally visible. I started a workout with runkeeper with a voice action, dicked around with music a bit and crashed and scraped half the skin off my leg.

The watch survived with some scratches on the wristband so that's good.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Thermopyle posted:

On one page we have people calling Sense and TouchWiz better than stock Android.

My mind is blown.

edit: gave=have

At the end of the day it really is just a matter of preference, nothing makes one version objectively better than the other, despite the strong opinions you sometimes see in a thread like this.

I'm pretty stoked about Android L for AOSP though. After the excellent 4.0 and 4.1 updates, Google just kind of...neglected its Nexus phones, giving them just a couple of gimmicks with every release and focusing their attention on improving Google services, most of Android's wow factor nowadays comes from Google Now and the rest of Google's products, which you can get on any Android anyways. At the end of the day, I guess it makes sense for Google to focus on under the hood stuff and leave all the features and UI improvements up to the OEMs, after all Nexus phones are development reference devices. For most of us though, they were also our main phone and watching release after release come and go without basics like lockscreen notifications being implemented was getting old.

The latest news point to a real shakeup in the Android ecosystem though, with Google making a real push to bring back the Android brand after they themselves hosed it into irrelevancy. The next couple of years should be very interesting, with Google looking to exert more control over Android, OEMs hitting their stride when it comes to their additions and especially support, and some tight competition from Apple on both software and hardware fronts. Looking forward to it.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Trip report: it was fairly straightforward converting to a GPE m8 and holy balls does it own bones. Its the fastest, smoothest phone experience I've ever seen. Idgaf about the camera (that's what my camera is for) but the tight integration and lack of carrier/HTC bloatware everywhere makes it super clean.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Nice, transparent notification area on the 2013 Droids now.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

Nice, transparent notification area on the 2013 Droids now.

This worked on 4.4 with third party launchers.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

big mean giraffe posted:

This worked on 4.4 with third party launchers.

True, but stock now. Double tap home fixed too. Location notification icon is still wrong though.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Location notification icon is still wrong though.
I imagine at this point they're just going to leave it. It's been the crosshair for most of the life of the phone, aside from that brief period after 4.4 shipped. Changing it again will just serve to confuse people.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Thanks for the lowdown on the S5, everybody. Most everything posted are things that really annoy me, so I'll be giving it a pass and looking at alternatives. What would you guys say is the likelihood of new phones actually being released in the next month or two? And if I was going to reset my galnex like that person before me posted about, is there a particularly good way to back up game files and photos and whatnot or would I just need to do it manually?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Zenzirouj posted:

What would you guys say is the likelihood of new phones actually being released in the next month or two?

Some sort of follow-on to the Moto X is almost assured toward late summer.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zenzirouj posted:

Thanks for the lowdown on the S5, everybody. Most everything posted are things that really annoy me, so I'll be giving it a pass and looking at alternatives. What would you guys say is the likelihood of new phones actually being released in the next month or two? And if I was going to reset my galnex like that person before me posted about, is there a particularly good way to back up game files and photos and whatnot or would I just need to do it manually?
Titanium if you're rooted or Helium if you aren't for the game data, and just move the pictures and things off manually (or put them in the cloud where they belong).

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
So what the hell is up with the OnePlus. Vaporware? Or just hilariously delayed?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Insane Totoro posted:

So what the hell is up with the OnePlus. Vaporware? Or just hilariously delayed?
In Europe, they "rebranded" the CE mark and EU customs bounced them all. That should give you an idea of how professional the company is.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Insane Totoro posted:

I have no idea why, but my brother bought into the hype for the phone and got one.

It is a laughable piece of poo poo right now. It might have decent construction, but the software is terrible. CM runs 100% better on my d2vzw, than on that phone.

It's slow, with graphical glitches everywhere. I'm sure it will be fixed in the future, but right now, it's very rightfully delayed.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
SIGH.

Guess I'll just have to get a zero APR no money down 24 month payment plan on an LG G3.

C'est la vie.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Insane Totoro posted:

SIGH.

Guess I'll just have to get a zero APR no money down 24 month payment plan on an LG G3.

C'est la vie.

Its hilarious that people take out loans for phones.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

r0ck0 posted:

It's hilarious that anyone expected anything else out of the OnePlus.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

r0ck0 posted:

I'm not exactly proud of paying full retail price for my GS5. The whole Jump/Next/Edge thing isn't a completely terrible idea.

Thermopyle posted:

It's hilarious that anyone expected anything else out of the OnePlus.
This too lol. It's like the Phantom of the 2010's.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Tunga posted:

In Europe, they "rebranded" the CE mark and EU customs bounced them all. That should give you an idea of how professional the company is.

What do you mean, "rebranded"?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

What do you mean, "rebranded"?

From what I heard the OnePlus people decided it would be a good idea to make their own version of the mark instead of the standard mark they should have.

Never Settle.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Lblitzer posted:

I'm not exactly proud of paying full retail price for my GS5. The whole Jump/Next/Edge thing isn't a completely terrible idea.

AT&T launched the Next and a promotion where you could convert your contract to a Next plan with out renewing or buying a device. It basically just gives you $25 off a line per month. My old plan was:

$40 for 1GB -22% FAN discount=$32
$45 per line x3
=
$162.

to
$100 for 10GB-22% FAN discount=$78
$40 per line with Next, but $25 off if you don't use Next,
=
$123

They really changed the plans up so the base cost (where the FAN discount comes from) is a lot more, so the FAN discount is much more helpful. Also, they increased the base data bucket size. I saved about $40 per month, plus I had a lot more data. The $40/month across a year is enough to get the new Nexus phone each year, plus I can sell my Nexus and the other iPhone and get a newish iPhone for the other two lines every year.

It's a really good deal that way, but if you use it to finance a device it's really a bad proposition, and only works to confuse people into buying a new phone every year and giving AT&T more money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Skeezy posted:

From what I heard the OnePlus people decided it would be a good idea to make their own version of the mark instead of the standard mark they should have.

Never Settle.
Yeah, they changed the font to make the strokes really thin so that it would match the other logos in that area of the phone back. There are some photos here but note that the OP misses the point that it isn't the spacing of the letters that they were called up over, it was the stroke width. This is pointed out by others further down the page.

• Locked thread