Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Countblanc posted:

Isn't HP not an abstraction in 5e? Like, I'm pretty sure it's literally how many liters of blood/unbroken bones/attached limbs you have. I thought that was the rationale for no martial healing; "You can't yell someone's blood back in their body," and whatnot.

That's stupid. Of course HP is an abstraction. Also there is Martial Healing in 5e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

No, you can't. In the basic rules they'd have to teleport in while invisible and Power Word: Kill you instead. But they can't be flying at the same time.

They would also have to be level 17 know were they are going (Or the Teleport could send them far far off target), and make sure that the enemy they are wasting their only 9th level spell slot on has less then 100 hp. In fact if you are trying to assassinate an enemy leader in this scenario there is massive chance of this missing.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 10, 2014

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Thalantos posted:

Personally, I don't see the need to "balance" out monsters. The PCs in my game know that random encounter rolls esp in the wilderness, and certain areas, are inherently dangerous and you'll probably die if you fight them.

---------------------

That's why players should think outside the box. If you're going up against a medusa, you know you can't look at it's face or you'll get petrified, so get a shiny mirror to look at it, or buy some war dogs and set them on her, or work a trap up, or....something. PCs should be doing research on the creatures their face to know their abilities.

I believe a good player skill is, among others, is realizing you're not going to win every fight and withdrawing, or even just avoiding the fight entirely.

Most of the GM aids and guidelines for making balanced encounters I don't really grok, anywhoo. I usually play stuff by ear.

Will agree on how ability damage is handled, though. Having to change all those adjustments on the fly is way too tedious esp since it's just temporary.

How can the players "do research and prepare" out side of the box solutions for random encounters.
With a base of balanced monsters you can make unbalanced encounters. With a base of unbalanced monsters you will never be able to make balanced encounters.

Pumpkin Pirate
Feb 2, 2005
???????
HP is an abstraction just like it's always been:

Basic Rules posted:

Hit points represent a combination of physical and
mental durability, the will to live, and luck. Creatures
with more hit points are more difficult to kill. Those
with fewer hit points are more fragile.

Describing the Effects of Damage
Dungeon Masters describe hit point loss in different ways.
When your current hit point total is half or more of your hit
point maximum, you typically show no signs of injury. When
you drop below half your hit point maximum, you show signs
of wear, such as cuts and bruises. An attack that reduces you
to 0 hit points strikes you directly, leaving a bleeding injury or
other trauma, or it simply knocks you unconscious.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pumpkin Pirate posted:

HP is an abstraction just like it's always been:

When I played D&D (Red Box basic!) for the first time when I was like 10, I always liked to imagine that higher level characters just got tougher, like fighters had more muscle and blood to get chopped off as they leveled up. When I got a little older, and started viewing HP as an abstraction, poo poo like "cure light wounds" and healing potions being full restores for low level characters but virtually nothing for higher levels, it started to make a lot less sense. I think I eventually justified it as a tolerance that formed against healing magic over time as characters were exposed to more and more of it over the course of their careers. I even gave one of my PCs a healing potion/magic addiction once which was pretty entertaining.

And thus ends this pointless derail.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

Underwhelmed posted:

When I played D&D (Red Box basic!) for the first time when I was like 10, I always liked to imagine that higher level characters just got tougher, like fighters had more muscle and blood to get chopped off as they leveled up. When I got a little older, and started viewing HP as an abstraction, poo poo like "cure light wounds" and healing potions being full restores for low level characters but virtually nothing for higher levels, it started to make a lot less sense. I think I eventually justified it as a tolerance that formed against it over time as characters were exposed to more and more of it over the course of their careers.
This is exactly the problem 4e fixed by introducing healing surges. Luckily, we got rid of that terrible abstract dissociated mechanic so we have to deal with either the meatpoints or the abstract-luckpoints-but-then-healing-makes-no-sense problem yet again. Those make much more sense, because tradition.

Oh, and then they just exacerbated it by making a 4e (not really) second wind mechanic for the Fighter without the 4e healing structure, so there's also the theorycrafted 'problem' of Fighters taking 20+ second winds a day to heal any injury.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Littlefinger posted:

This is exactly the problem 4e fixed by introducing healing surges. Luckily, we got rid of that terrible abstract dissociated mechanic so we have to deal with either the meatpoints or the abstract-luckpoints-but-then-healing-makes-no-sense problem yet again. Those make much more sense, because tradition.

Oh, and then they just exacerbated it by making a 4e (not really) second wind mechanic for the Fighter without the 4e healing structure, so there's also the theorycrafted 'problem' of Fighters taking 20+ second winds a day to heal any injury.

Yeah I actually liked a lot of little things in 4e (the healing surge bit in particular) and wish they had copied forward an awful lot more of it in 5th.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
Well it didn't feel right, all that 4e stuff.

which has me thinking. We give it a lot of crap, but feel *is* a legitimate aspect of game design, we're often irrational creatures and when attempting to appeal to irrationality sometimes that means going for a certain feel despite what logic might suggest.

However.

The ludicrous notion that feel should somehow trump good design, or good math, or any of the other behind-the-scenes functionalities of a system completely misses the point. Primarily because feel, though legitimate, is also completely about window dressing and assertions on the part of the game as to how its systems should be employed. Suggesting that certain mechanics are *forcing* a certain feel would be like believing the Red M&Ms taste differently than the Blue M&Ms.

You might feel that way, but that's because you're dumb.

edit: In short: I bet you could take almost any TTRPG system, and through careful consideration, get it to feel like D&D despite wildly different mechanics.

treeboy fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 10, 2014

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Underwhelmed posted:

Yeah I actually liked a lot of little things in 4e (the healing surge bit in particular) and wish they had copied forward an awful lot more of it in 5th.

Here's what's insane: 5e has healing surges. They're called "hit dice", you spend them to regain hit points after short rests, and the interesting thing about them is that while a full night's rest restores all your HP, it only restores up to half your maximum hit dice. This means that unlike surges, hit dice can to some extent model multi-day burnout/exhaustion.

But... nothing seems to use them.

You can totally imagine martial healing being like "a creature that can hear you spends a hit die" (and maybe even rolls it twice and uses the better result, or maximizes it, or whatever) while magical healing consumes spell slots but doesn't care about your hit dice at all. And yet...

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
My guess is that nothing is tied to the Hit Dice mechanic because there will be a module that eliminates them for Old School play. The more intertwined mechanics are the harder they are to turn on and off.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

Here's what's insane: 5e has healing surges. They're called "hit dice", you spend them to regain hit points after short rests, and the interesting thing about them is that while a full night's rest restores all your HP, it only restores up to half your maximum hit dice. This means that unlike surges, hit dice can to some extent model multi-day burnout/exhaustion.

You can totally imagine martial healing being like "a creature that can hear you spends a hit die" (and maybe even rolls it twice and uses the better result, or maximizes it, or whatever) while magical healing consumes spell slots but doesn't care about your hit dice at all. And yet...

weren't there feats in one of the playtest packets that used hit dice as a resource or am i just imagining some better game?

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

whydirt posted:

My guess is that nothing is tied to the Hit Dice mechanic because there will be a module that eliminates them for Old School play. The more intertwined mechanics are the harder they are to turn on and off.

Old school play is "everyone who wants that is still playing 3.5 or Pathfinder (or older I guess)". I'm not sure why they think that market needs another entry outside of "we can't sell those people new books otherwise".

Which speaking of dumb marketing, how are WotC going to get a foothold on a market in which their chief competitor essentially gives away their full rule set? I have access to all of Pathfinders poo poo and outside if a $5 App Store purchase for a compendium, I have spent zero on it. I have friends that buy poo poo loads of Paizo's books despite the availability of the actual content so clearly Paizo makes money. I guess I have never seem actual sales figures though.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

Doesn't that just put more emphasis on magical healing, though?

Anyway, this is a great idea and I really hope that their 'modules' scheme will introduce something like this, but just bolting something on the core might be too little.

Because that was just the point of 4e healing surges: that everything used them. Every non-daily effect that healed you made you spend a healing surge, so you could not just go on forever with a bag full of CLW wands. Their value followed hp inflation closely, so a healing spell fixed an injured adventurer just the same on 1st and 21st level.

Littlefinger fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 10, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Underwhelmed posted:

Which speaking of dumb marketing, how are WotC going to get a foothold on a market in which their chief competitor essentially gives away their full rule set?

By giving away a stripped down, basic version of their rules and pandering harder, apparently.

It's going to be interesting to see if the combination of community integration and brand loyalty are enough to pull people away from Pathfinder. I think the first year sales are going to be driven entirely by curiosity, specifically people waiting for the PHB, then waiting for the DMG when it doesn't include magic items, and then the MM for completion.

But I don't see PF players bailing out. If anything Next is hoping to become the Wii 2nd system that collects dust between visits from your nephew.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Underwhelmed posted:

Which speaking of dumb marketing, how are WotC going to get a foothold on a market in which their chief competitor essentially gives away their full rule set?

I like the lack of a clear antecedent for that second "their" because it is correct either way you read it.

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 10, 2014

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

PeterWeller posted:

I like the lack of a clear antecedent for that second "their" because it is correct either way you read it.

Man I need to get more sleep (advice: never have children) my ability to communicate is going down the toilet. I will pretend I made that joke on purpose.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
5e gives away part of it's rule set.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Underwhelmed posted:

Man I need to get more sleep (advice: never have children) my ability to communicate is going down the toilet. I will pretend I made that joke on purpose.

Haha. Don't beat yourself up. It was clear what you meant; I just took the opportunity to goof on the OGL fallout.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Even more tweets if you don't visit the other thread, also I don't think anything is actually repeated, though one thing is mentioned twice using different wording.

quote:

@s_grindeland : Liked playtest Greataxe critting for more damage vs Greatsword as more reliable damage. Now only flavor & gp favor the Greataxe
@wotc_rodney : Also anyone that gets to roll one extra die on crits will favor the greataxe (like barbarians).
‏@s_grindeland : touché salesman - touché
@GX_Sigma : Wait, is that a feat or something? Fighters don't get that, right?
@wotc_rodney : Barbarian class feature.

quote:

@Brail4 : Elf Trance says, 'semi-conscious',how aware are they during trance?
@mikemearls : my call - treat them as sleeping

@Plaguescarred : Do thrown weapons coutn as both melee and ranged at all time or just ranged when thrown?
@mikemearls : my call would be count as both melee and ranged for purposes of qualifying for benefits

@Plaguescarred : Things like caltrop/ball bearings ref to moving at half speed how do you do that? Treating each 5' as 10 like difficult terain?
@mikemearls : yes, essentially pay an extra 1' per 1' moved

quote:

@Plaguescarred : Doffing armor says it can take half time with help, could a shield be doffed as a bonus action rather than an action with help?
@mikemearls : Don't see why not - that'd be more of a DM ruling thing, though

@Hadan_Ashcroft : Why 5e experience table so weird? between 10-11 (takes 21000) and 11-12 (takes only 15000).
@mikemearls : People stop playing at 10 - it's a weird divot, but leveling speeds up at 10+ to pull people through those doldrums

@Hadan_Ashcroft : "at least 1 hour of walking, fighting, ..." Long Rest interrupted by any combat or only combat that lasts more than an hour?
@mikemearls : Must last 1+ hours to break it

quote:

@rhykker : Would love for you to check out our #DnD livestream social experiment; viewers control the PC! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrwuLrpbY0M&list=UURl31PWkfF0a3j3hiDRaCGA
@mikemearls : interesting! I'll give it a watch later tonight.

@jephlewis : There's an alpha of D&D 5e's PHB floating around. Not sharing the link because reasons, but figured @mikemearls would want to know. #dnd5e
@mikemearls : Thanks! Info passed along.

‏@MarianoFranzese : overchannel allows a wizard to maximize cantrip's damage without damage, correct? #dnd5e
@mikemearls : rule as written, correct. However, i think it's an oversight. I'd have cantrips increase damage wiz takes by 1d12
@MarianoFranzese : thanks so much! Will be planned a correction to deny the use with cantrip?
@mikemearls : we're collecting rules questions now - not sure what the plan will be. That's Crawford's call to make.

quote:

@obsid : Can a someone use the "Hide" action in half cover, or three quarter cover? (in addition to total cover & heavily obscured)
@mikemearls : DM call - can the creature duck down behind the cover?

@obsid : a person is hiding with 30+ stealth, and moves to half cover or 3/4 cover, or a lightly obscured area can they stay hidden?
@mikemearls : same as below answer - a bit situational dependent. in general i'd allow it.

@mikemearls : Level 10 - 11 XP: It's by design. Data shows campaigns stop at 10, we're trying to speed up 10+ a bit so groups can reach 20 in a campaign
@mikemearls : Part of thinking behind that is it looks like campaign length might be dictated by how long the group can consistently meet.
@mikemearls : Interestingly enough, groups seemed to want to level much faster than we expected, and campaigns were shorter than we expected, too.

@PunPunKobold : I made a homebrew setup for 4e that lasted 10 levels but still gave you paragon and epic choices. Any info on condensing 5e?
@mikemearls : there'll be a quick progression XP table in the DMG
@Garmelbon : Will there be a table that allows for slower progression in the DMG as well?
@mikemearls : Yes

@SwampRob : My group has been playing since 1e, and we level up roughly every 3 - 4 sessions, or about once per month. There's no hurry.
@mikemearls : a lot of gamers are in college or high school - the average lengths seem to match up with semesters and school years

quote:

@FoldableHuman : Are Concentration save DCs supposed to become literally impossible? http://i.imgur.com/iafx6WJ.png
@mikemearls : actually, yes, depending on the critter. shutting down buffs/control spells is a big hazard at high levels.
@mikemearls : wizards have potential winning moves that need a LOT of work to use correctly.

@CHoffos : Is it possible for you to tell us any of the monsters that will be in Basic next month. Or at least how many dragons are in it.
@mikemearls : Definitely one dragon, several dozen critters

@ChameleonX4d : Is Eldritch Knight Fighter in PHB? Does it get actual spells/spell slots? Is it restricted to melee like the 4e Swordmage?
@mikemearls : In PHB, gets spell slots, focuses on a couple schools of magic

quote:

@sevensideddie : How are Long Rest interruptions meant to work? The land is in confusion & dismay! http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?730649-5e-So-if-a-long-rest-is-interrupted-you-start-all-overhttp://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/42123/does-a-short-combat-or-casting-one-spell-interrupt-a-long-rest
@mikemearls : interruption needs to be a full hour. Testers: "We rest 7 hours, a kobold knocks on the door, and now we have to start over?
@sevensideddie : Oh. But that means combat will never interrupt rest, since a 600-round combat is unheard of. Why list it at all then?
@mikemearls : there could be cases where it's valid - fight starts, now you need to leave the dungeon
@sevensideddie : Ah, so it’s meant to be fairly rare, more “we’ve given up resting for now,” not just attacks on the camp.
@mikemearls : exactly

@oguzcanayverdi : Quick rule question: Doesn't proficiency in Deception make proficiency with the disguise kit obsolete? How does this work?
@mikemearls : Disguise kit is used to build a visual disguise, so it would come into play vs. Intelligence checks

@JRutterbush : Rogue can use Strength-based thrown weapons for SA, but not other light weapons. Any reason light weapons aren't on their list?
@mikemearls : can't remember off the top of my head. in general, sneak attacking with any d6 or smaller melee weapon is OK

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
'People stop leveling at 10, so we sped up the levels that they don't play'. Fantastic.

It's still a bit disturbing the amount of 'DM Call' responses MM fires off.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Hit Dice are the results of finding the solution to a problem, and then realizing your core audience doesn't want that problem to go away, but desperately wanting to shove it in anyways.

Basically the grog crowd would never agree to ~*~magic~*~ healing being restricted in any way (it was one of the complaints about 4e's healing surges), so they couldn't use it for that. And up until very recently there was no sort of "martial healing" and frankly never will be because Mearls adamantly hates the Warlord. So it can't be used for there. But by god we are crowbaring this idea into the mechanics somehow!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

IT BEGINS posted:

'People stop leveling at 10, so we sped up the levels that they don't play'. Fantastic.

I saw that too, it's amazing how they can consistently look at a problem and then decide to "fix" something not the problem.

And what players is he talking about? Pathfinder? 4e? 3x? 2e? 5e?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

You know what to do about most campaigns most ending around level 10? Make your basic rules only go to level 10. *drops mic*

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Yeah, don't bother trying to make high level play more enjoyable or anything. Just throw it out. :rolleyes:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

In the free game that's supposed to introduce people to the hobby, yes absolutely throw it out.

D&D was originally designed to top out with 6th level spells and higher level stuff was just tacked out without any forethought or rebalancing. Levels 10+ probably should look more like legends from mythology and superheroes and I think the game would be healthier if it was partitioned off from the lower level more mundance dungeon crawler stuff.

whydirt fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 10, 2014

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Why? It doesn't hurt or complicate the 1-10 stuff. It's work they have already done for the full game. The only upside is the potential sales upside: "buy the books if you want to advance further." But there are already other sales incentives built in.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Why are you guys arguing about including or excluding broken high level stuff when the option is there to address the mechanical problems of the high level game instead? People don't stop playing at level 10+ because there's a hard limit on how often people can meet with their friends, it's because the game becomes bloated and unplayable.

I have concerns that 5e will have the same problems - clerics will become healbots at high levels because there aren't any effective healing spells that don't take your entire action to cast, hit point damage becomes a worse and worse way of dealing with threats since HP inflates far faster than weapon damage does, and spells targeting your bad saves become impossible to resist.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Gort posted:

Why are you guys arguing about including or excluding broken high level stuff when the option is there to address the mechanical problems of the high level game instead? People don't stop playing at level 10+ because there's a hard limit on how often people can meet with their friends, it's because the game becomes bloated and unplayable.

That's my point. Don't throw it out. Fix it.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Gort posted:

People don't stop playing at level 10+ because there's a hard limit on how often people can meet with their friends, it's because the game becomes bloated and unplayable.

IME, it's got little to do with how bloated the system becomes, and everything to do with the fact that keeping a group of people playing together for a year+ is very, very hard. I can count on one hand the amount of groups I've seen stick together for 6+ months. On the other hand, I've seen hundreds of groups run short adventures.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

IT BEGINS posted:

IME, it's got little to do with how bloated the system becomes, and everything to do with the fact that keeping a group of people playing together for a year+ is very, very hard. I can count on one hand the amount of groups I've seen stick together for 6+ months. On the other hand, I've seen hundreds of groups run short adventures.

Yeah, I've been lucky enough to have kept the same core group of players for over a decade now, but even our campaigns will sometimes end prematurely because of scheduling problems or turnover with members new to the group.

Still, that doesn't mean one shouldn't address high level play. AD&D actually did a lot to differentiate it from low level play and explicitly told DMs that it should move away from dungeon crawling and towards the players becoming movers and shakers. WotC editions largely ignored this. 3E nixed the tools with which warriors and rogues could have great impact. One of 4E's weaknesses is that high level play is just a crazier version of low level play.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We kind of need monsters before we can judge High Level play for 5e as well.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

is there a DM thread? My friends have decided I shall be the source of their entertainment and I need some advice on setting a creepy tone for our first 5e campaign.

I considered just reading from the rules to scare them.

:downsrim:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

treeboy posted:

is there a DM thread? My friends have decided I shall be the source of their entertainment and I need some advice on setting a creepy tone for our first 5e campaign.

Fedora wearing villians. All female party. Done.

On a serious note, it looks like I'm running the starter set adventure so DM advice really would be welcome. I have a long-term group, going on fifteen years together in one form or another and we've been on Pathfinder since 4e hit. I'm cautiously optimistic about this ruleset so far but it seems needlessly vague in some areas, and overly complicated in others.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Ryuujin posted:

Even more tweets if you don't visit the other thread, also I don't think anything is actually repeated, though one thing is mentioned twice using different wording.
Plz don't worry about repeating it's an absurd quibble. It's good to have people doing pastes and charts and stuff and it makes threads like these a much more useful resource.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

I don't know if this is new info, but I just learned it. PHB races: everything from the playtest, except Kender and Warforged which will be in the DMG. All classes have 3 archetypes except Cleric (7), Wizard (8), and Sorcerer (2).

A little annoyed at only 3 archetypes for most classes, but then they gotta sell Complete Fighter: Martial Prowess III at some point.

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013

treeboy posted:

Wizard (8)

Naturally.

Illvillainy
Jan 4, 2004

Pants then spaceship. In that order.
Poor 'forged, forever optional (why the hell did 13th Age ghettoize the non-Fauxlkien races anyw-? oh).

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Mad Jaqk posted:

Naturally.

well i'm assuming one archetype for each school, which at its base conceit isn't bad. But as the evoker has no obvious deficiencies it suggests that the various wizard archetypes are just different ways of being more awesome.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Correct it's just Evoker, Necromancer, Transmuter and the like. Oh and all of them will probably have the "School Name" Savant ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

treeboy posted:

You can find the generic GMing advice thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3150535&pagenumber=1

If you want to ask D&D Next specific questions, this is probably the place.