Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Zero Star posted:

Last night during the Brazil-Germany massacre, you could briefly see an old man in a Brazil shirt, holding a replica World Cup trophy and looking like the world's saddest man.

It turns out, that pic on the right is him giving his trophy to a young German girl, and telling her to "take it to the final!" :3:

Ohhhhh noooo that makes me so happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Alteisen posted:

So my mother came up on her one year anniversary of being cancer free, to celebrate she took a much needed, long time coming and richly deserved vacation to Florida, with the bonus that she can see her sister and celebrate her 70th birthday, plus they haven't seen each other since their brother passed away.

My pops has mobility issues and is a bit absent minded so its up to me to keep order in their house and generally help, cook, clean be sure dad takes his medicines, his insulin etc, I essentially need to be my mother for this week. Which is somewhat hilarious considering what a slob I am.

Only been at it for 2 days and it amazes me the sheer amount of things she does without breaking a stride, I always appreciated everything she did for me, now I have an even bigger appreciation for her and the things she did while I was growing up, because I know I was a lovely kid sometimes. I also thank every single deity on this earth for the fact that she's cancer free.

I seriously loving love you mom.

I hope she's having a blast over there. :unsmith:

You're a good son/daughter! Your Mom sounds amazing and it's great that she's getting to have a cool celebration and vacation :3: I'm having to fill my Mom's shoes right now, and it's mostly just making me angry at her for not telling me how hard she has it. I've been acting like a spoiled rear end over it, and now I'm ashamed. My Dad has early on-set Alzheimers and it's amazing what my blessed saint of a mother does for him. I need to be more like you and be thankful my Daddy and I have her around.

Thanks for giving me a shot in the rear end of gratitude without meaning to. I love this loving thread :unsmith:

edit: \/ man, you gotta warn people about the happysobs that video brings on. That's amazing. I think I love that man.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 18:17 on Jul 9, 2014

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

lord funk posted:

Ohhhhh noooo that makes me so happy.

It goes further!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmGfLZxbEJA

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
There's more:

quote:

http://mashable.com/2014/07/09/brazil-germany-world-cup-sweet-moment/

Hey World Cup fans, here's a little story about a man, a trophy and good sportsmanship.

This die-hard Brazil fan was all set to own Germany in Tuesday's match.

He was on top of the world. No one had ever loved a trophy so much.

But then came that first goal. And then the second. And then, the third, fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh ...

Things were grim. Brazil's run at the World Cup was over.

But that man, whose defeated face was plastered across newspapers and television screens, knew when it was time to fold. Redditors captured this touching moment of the man giving his trophy away to Germany's fans.

Reportedly, as he handed the trophy over, he said (roughly translated), "Take it to the final! As you can see, it is not easy, but you deserve it. Congratulations."

Brazilians may not have the best defense, but you can't deny they've got heart. And don't let yours break for the man with the trophy. Brazil's 2014 World Cup wasn’t his first rodeo.

Clovis Fernandes has been to seven of these things — so many that he calls himself Brazil's 12th player. Clovis has traveled to more than 60 countries to watch his team play 150 games.

"I am their 12th player," he said in a video profile by FIFA TV, "you can be certain of that. I am the guy that cheers, I’m the guy that shouts, I’m the guy that makes promises."

There he was in Italy in 1990.

And there in U.S. in 1994.

Years later, you can bet your footballs he was in Germany in 2006.

And yup — South Africa in 2010.

“I remember the 1970 World Cup in Mexico,” he says in the FIFA TV profile of where his love of the game began. "I was able to watch it all on television and my passion for the game started to grow."

"Experiencing that emotion, I promised myself that one day I would be at a World Cup. That one day I’d follow Brazil in the finals. That dream came true in Italy in 1990. That was my first World Cup. Everything I’d bottled up — that crazy passion for the Brazilian national team — was released with incredible strength. So that was my first World Cup experience and I carry my passion with me to this day," he said.

"You can be sure that I’ll end the tournament as the player with the most appearances for Brazil," he said of 2014.

Better luck next time, Clovis. There's always 2018.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRCqLI0G0Cw

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Palmersaurus posted:

There's more:
Here's some more:
http://imgur.com/gallery/uw9Yv
He founded a group to help other fans travel to games too. They end up road-tripping around whatever country they go to.

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

Ain't you ever seen a naked chick riding a clam before?
Chris Pratt with a baby raccoon for a GotG photoshoot :3:

And some baby ringtail lemur videos I found today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCqi_sLCT98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llDrZrhLFOs

magic pantaloons has a new favorite as of 14:19 on Jul 10, 2014

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

magic pantaloons posted:

Chris Pratt with a baby raccoon for a GotG photoshoot :3

I've had a baby raccoon climb on my shoulders like that and yes, it's just as cute as you'd think.

As long as you aren't wearing jewelry. Or as long as they don't piss on you.

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

Drone posted:

I've had a baby raccoon climb on my shoulders like that and yes, it's just as cute as you'd think.

As long as you aren't wearing jewelry. Or as long as they don't piss on you.

One of my lifelong dreams is to meet a raccoon, since I live in Australia.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

magic pantaloons posted:

since I live in Australia.

So do I. I met a squirrel once. It was amazing.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
What was it like meeting, for the first time, an animal that didn't immediately try to kill you?

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Magres posted:

What was it like meeting, for the first time, an animal that didn't immediately try to kill you?
come on, Australia's animals aren't all bad

it's just everything except the quokka

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

Magres posted:

Does getting punched and scratched at by a mother kangaroo as a 2-year old trying to hug a joey count? I guess it was trying to kill me.

One the other hand, baby saltwater crocodiles are adorable and make the cutest noises.

magic pantaloons has a new favorite as of 15:00 on Jul 10, 2014

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I dare any of you to watch this and not be inspired:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrGsdrW8HlE

I got it I got it :3:

Not gonna lie: This put me in absolute tears this morning. Full out streaming tears.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Tiny little wrinkly babby hedgehog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N28742ELCCo

:kimchi:

Bad Sneakers
Sep 4, 2004

me irl

magic pantaloons posted:

That's the dude from Parks and Rec?? Holy crap!

First Tube
Apr 25, 2010

From this day on I'd have to fight these forces of darkness and deal with the burden of day to day admin.

Bad Sneakers posted:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bad Sneakers posted:

Look up how buff he got for the Guardians of the Galaxy movie. The transformation is pretty incredible.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

magic pantaloons posted:

Yeah, that ripping noise you just heard was my panties shredding off of my body. These photos have really improved a lovely day for me.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Here's how they explained it on the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gPPrygjXQM

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
I like how the Japanese word for hedgehog is literally needle mouse. :3:

Wrinkles?

Wrinkles!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

kinmik posted:

I like how the Japanese word for hedgehog is literally needle mouse. :3:

Wrinkles?

Wrinkles!

Please, stand aside. I am going to put my face on this.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

davidspackage posted:

Please, stand aside. I am going to put my face on this.

Some of my best and worst memories were preceded by this phrase.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

kinmik posted:

Wrinkles?

Wrinkles!

Wrinkles!!! :neckbeard:

:kimchi:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

magic pantaloons posted:

Does getting punched and scratched at by a mother kangaroo as a 2-year old trying to hug a joey count? I guess it was trying to kill me.

One the other hand, baby saltwater crocodiles are adorable and make the cutest noises.

If baby crocs are anything like baby alligators those cute noises are a distress call to get mom to come murder you.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Isn't that pretty much any noise a baby animal makes to a human?

But those sound like a game boy. It's amazing.

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

paragon1 posted:

If baby crocs are anything like baby alligators those cute noises are a distress call to get mom to come murder you.

Well, poo poo. I guess everything except Quokkas are trying to kill you in Australia.

magic pantaloons has a new favorite as of 00:01 on Jul 11, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I got to be part of something pretty uplifting over the past couple days.

So I adore French Bulldogs. I know, health problems and such, but I see them and my heart just melts. (for those who object very reasonably to supporting the industry that breeds such unhealthy dogs, I never plan to buy any puppies, and when I'm ready and looking for a Frenchie, I plan to find a rescue and have been encouraging my folks to do the same in their search for one) I'm in a couple big groups on facebook where people post pictures of theirs, and there are a few people that post a lot of adoption ads. A few days ago, one of them posted a craigslist ad for an unspayed female Frenchie breeding dog in Texas who looked, to be frank, pretty miserable. Like not puppy mill bad, but a poorly cared for backyard breeder dog that was obviously not well cared for or loved the way dogs deserve to be. People on the group immediately reacted with horror and multiple people expressed wanting to get her to a rescue group, but the ad wanted $1500 for her and as much as I hate it, I don't blame people for not wanting to drop a grand on a half on a dog to hand over to a rescue.

So I said "Hey guys, why don't we do a crowdfunding thing and all kick in to get this dog out and to Short Mugs, a brachycephalic rescue down in Texas?" People expressed interest, so I made one and posted it to the group, and money started pouring in to rescue this dog. About 27 hours later, the fund was up to the $1500 we needed for the dog - I had originally set the time limit for the crowdfunding venture to two weeks, and expected it would take at least a week to get done.

Once we were getting the cash together, a Texas member of the group contacted the seller to help Short Mugs arrange the swap, and found out the seller had another two dogs in equally bad shape that they'd sell for another grand, so I started stumping for the remaining grand to get all three. Around the time we hit $1700, our boots on the ground in Texas managed to talk the seller down to $1800 for all three, we managed to get the last hundred together, and as of about 3pm EST today, all three were in Short Mugs Rescue Squad's hands and on their way to a vet for some needed medical care and spaying before they'll head to foster homes.

This whole thing has been pretty personal for me - my folks had a French Bulldog that I loved and adored with all my heart who died close to 11 months ago at an age far younger than she deserved - so when I woke up Tuesday morning and saw that the crowdfund had jumped by $600 while I had been asleep and put us really close to our goal, I honestly started bawling I was so happy, and I've been continually getting teary-eyed whenever I think about it a lot (including now) because I still can't believe that a bunch of random people raised two grand in two days to rescue a trio of goddamned silly, goofy-looking dogs that they have almost no chance of ever meeting or adopting. For most, they're at least across the country (I'm about 1200 miles away), and for some these dogs were across the world - I know for a fact we had at least one Israeli donor who has essentially zero odds of ever meeting these dogs, but chipped in just out of love and kindness.

The internet can be dark and full of terrors, but it can also let people all pitch in a little to help save a trio of very sweet looking momma dogs. When some before/after pics are available, I'll post them here.

Magres has a new favorite as of 00:17 on Jul 11, 2014

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

My dog is very old and blind and deaf and grumpy and her heart is very messed up but I still love her very much, so I try to make her life as easy as possible. So lately I have come up with a silly plan which involves pretending to go to bed early (like she prefers), sitting with her until she goes to sleep, and then sneaking off downstairs until actual normal bedtime.

So far it has worked and she seems healthier for it, but there is something very funny and ridiculous about sitting on a bed beside a cross old dog until she falls asleep and then tip-toeing away when she nods off.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Pookah posted:

My dog is very old and blind and deaf and grumpy and her heart is very messed up but I still love her very much, so I try to make her life as easy as possible. So lately I have come up with a silly plan which involves pretending to go to bed early (like she prefers), sitting with her until she goes to sleep, and then sneaking off downstairs until actual normal bedtime.

So far it has worked and she seems healthier for it, but there is something very funny and ridiculous about sitting on a bed beside a cross old dog until she falls asleep and then tip-toeing away when she nods off.

You are sweetness personified.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

BrigadierSensible posted:

You are sweetness personified.

Oh shucks... :blush:

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Magres posted:

bulldog story
You're good people :kimchi:
and this is the happiest goddamn bear oh my sweet lord

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Bat-bear is fighting Zan of the wonder twins.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

goatface posted:

Bat-bear is fighting Zan of the wonder twins.

I'm glad to know I am not the only one who that that is a drat near perfect bat symbol haha.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

This is the best gif I've seen in a long time. :neckbeard:

I love bears so much. If there's a heaven and I get to go there, my first wish will be to pet a bear.

spiders
Feb 10, 2014
So back in 2002, Elmo testified before Congress to help fund music education programs:

quote:

In between trying to eat the microphone and interrupting his fellow witness, Elmo engaged in this informative colloquy with subcommitee chair Ralph Regula (R-OH):

Elmo: Please, Congress, help Elmo's friends find the music in them. I love you, Congress.

Regula: And my grandchildren love you too, Elmo.

Look at his little suit :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

spiders posted:

Look at his little suit :3:

:3:

MikeJF has a new favorite as of 17:19 on Jul 11, 2014

• Locked thread