Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't even know where the nearest gas station is with diesel near me in Pittsburgh. It's probably on the other side of the city/off a highway exit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

STR's 'around here' is bigger than my entire country :v:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

drat near every gas station I've been to in the state of Indiana has diesel on almost every pump these days.

Also Illinois, Iowa, and probably the rest of the midwest.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

PCOS Bill posted:

I don't even know where the nearest gas station is with diesel near me in Pittsburgh. It's probably on the other side of the city/off a highway exit

It can be a bit of a pain to find in Seattle, but you really don't have to look that hard. I have some app on my phone to help, but thats also so I can check who doesn't have insane prices on diesel. Some places its just about the same as regular, different station a mile away and its 10 cents more than premium. Any of the big newer gas stations will have it though.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
e;f,b

Anecdotally it seems like about most of the stations in the Seattle and Portland areas have diesel, just not at every pump.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Negromancer posted:

It can be a bit of a pain to find in Seattle, but you really don't have to look that hard. I have some app on my phone to help, but thats also so I can check who doesn't have insane prices on diesel. Some places its just about the same as regular, different station a mile away and its 10 cents more than premium. Any of the big newer gas stations will have it though.

Luckily with a diesel you have some time to look around for a pump. 550+ miles per 13g fill up here :)

Also, as someone who has made multiple trips from CO to TX and back, most of the south has diesel at every station. It must just be the yanks that don't have diesel due to it being all cold and poo poo up there and diesel gelling.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Diesel vehicles are much less common in big cities, so gas stations sometimes won't have diesel pumps. Stations near an interstate will almost always have diesel, but the further away from that you get the more often it's going to be gasoline only.

Rural areas will always have diesel because the ratio of diesel vehicles goes up dramatically. It's science. :science:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

veedubfreak posted:

Luckily with a diesel you have some time to look around for a pump. 550+ miles per 13g fill up here :)

drat, I only get ~420 miles or so per tank. Mostly city driving in amazing traffic seattle has.

xzzy posted:

Diesel vehicles are much less common in big cities, so gas stations sometimes won't have diesel pumps. Stations near an interstate will almost always have diesel, but the further away from that you get the more often it's going to be gasoline only.

Rural areas will always have diesel because the ratio of diesel vehicles goes up dramatically. It's science. :science:

More and more places in seattle carry it , which probably has something to do with the amount of tdi's you see on the roads. I think tdi JSW's are almost taking over from outbacks as the most seattle car. Granted there are also multiple bio-diesel stations around the city as well.

*edit*
sorry for continuing the diesel talk, I give you a almost stock del sol covered in sweet stickers

It's almost awesome in a sweet late 90's way.

Also, the uber seattle subaru

I think there is a unwritten rule that if you have a outback in seattle you must have at least 1 believe or coexist sticker.

slurry_curry fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 10, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Diesels that are not rolling coal are not, by themselves, "terrible car stuff". Get it together, guys.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Galler posted:

Also Illinois, Iowa, and probably the rest of the midwest.

I've been in Iowa the last 14 years. I'd say only about half the fuel stations around here have diesel.

There is one station nearby that has 3 grades of gasoline, e-85, diesel, and red diesel. It has ALL of the prices for those on the sign. It's hilarious.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Rhyno posted:

drat near every gas station I've been to in the state of Indiana has diesel on almost every pump these days.

Anyways, some rear end in a top hat rolled coal on me in the Miata two months ago and yeah, I was enraged. I mean poo poo, if I trusted myself enough to have a gun I probably would have shot the rear end in a top hat. This is why I don't own a gun. I fully support the ownership of guns, I just don't want one because some rear end in a top hat will die.

A few years ago I lived in Lexington KY and there were one or two cunts who did the same thing to me when I was in the Miata with the roof down. First time it happened I thought someone just had a broken truck. Second time I started daydreaming about them getting broadsided by garbage trucks.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

joat mon posted:

What part belongs in any other thread but this one?

Ahaahaha hotdog stand. My all time favorite windows theme.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Captain Bravo posted:

Since we're not apparently discussing guns in the car thread, what's your favorite gun to use in your car, or your favorite car to shoot at with your gun? Personally I prefer the Remington F250 V8 semi-automatic.

You really need a revolver, magazine-fed guns are just way too hard to reload with one hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pmRw_CNCgU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Fucknag posted:

You live in Texas. Pickup capital of the U.S.A.

I've lived all over, and it's never hard to find a gas station with diesel. East Texas, West Texas, North Texas, Panhandle, I've seen it all.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

I live right outside Philadelphia. Diesel pumps are not as easy to come by. Not saying you can't find them, but there's a good chance that a random gas station you pull into might not have one.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006
If you don't like the Mercedes Benz OM617/6, you're a terrible car person, and should post your own picture in this this thread.

I love my almost 130 furious ponies coming outta my 800ish lb iron drivetrain packing 180ish ft-lbs. Sure it takes 16 seconds to reach 60mph, but at least I can pull a Buzz Lightyear and drive it to infinity and beyond. Seriously, after the heat death of the universe, my old trusty Benz is gonna be floating around in space ready to be fired up, just waiting for a fresh tank of diesel and a new planet to drive on.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Terrible car guy stuff. Someone posted this video on my FB:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoEJR3mRTek

and claimed it as proof that older cars are better.

I can't stand this argument. Okay, great, you can spend $200k making a car almost as fast as a million dollar car that weighs twice as much (I'm assuming the Skyline is stripped out), while in all likelihood ruining street driveability, stressing the motor (that RB can't have much life in it at those power levels, compared to a stock Veyron), and judging by the trap speeds couldn't get anywhere near the Veyron's top speed, which is it's primary selling point.

Why don't people get that there's more to supercars than just a single metric of performance? You're not paying a million dollars for a 250mph tube-frame racer, you're paying for a comfortable luxury car, with climate control and stereo system and leather and heated seats, which it happens can go 250mph.

E: Don't get me wrong, I love GT-Rs, they're just in an entirely different category of vehicles. Apples to oranges.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So after this fascinating discussion about which gas stations near you have diesel pumps there's only one burning question left for me: How many of those diesel pumps have those little tabs on them that keep the pump going when you take your hand off?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Fucknag posted:

Doesn't relate to your video at all, but this is true. :)

80s boxy design best design.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cage posted:

80s boxy design best design.

Things that would have gotten you stabbed if spoken in the 90's.

Just think, in a few short years there will be kids waxing nostalgic for the "plastic held over a lighter" body styling that became popular in the late 90's.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
All I think of when I think of "90s cars" is the bubble taurus, even though it didn't come out until 1996.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

xzzy posted:

Just think, in a few short years there will be kids waxing nostalgic for the "plastic held over a lighter" body styling that became popular in the late 90's.

Bubbles have been a trend for years

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Cage posted:

All I think of when I think of "90s cars" is the bubble taurus, even though it didn't come out until 1996.

My driver's ed car circa ~1996 was a Mercury Sable. We called it the Ovalmobile because literally every body styling cue was an oval. If it could have had oval wheels and tires, you'd better be drat sure they would've had them.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

robotsinmyhead posted:

My driver's ed car circa ~1996 was a Mercury Sable. We called it the Ovalmobile because literally every body styling cue was an oval. If it could have had oval wheels and tires, you'd better be drat sure they would've had them.

In this vein, terrible car stuff: the ugly style of a 1996 hatchback Taurus:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
The horrible scaling on that photo really adds another dimension to the design.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Protocol7 posted:

My parents had what I considered the eggiest of cars, the '97 Buick Riviera (theirs was dark green though)

I will say that at the time it was pretty neat that I could remove the key from the ignition and the radio would stay on until you opened the doors. Something that for some reason our '98 Malibu the next year could also do but that my used '98 Corvette still doesn't. How did GM have the radio on technology in a '97 Buick and not bother putting it in their Corvette?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

davebo posted:

My parents had what I considered the eggiest of cars, the '97 Buick Riviera (theirs was dark green though)

I will say that at the time it was pretty neat that I could remove the key from the ignition and the radio would stay on until you opened the doors. Something that for some reason our '98 Malibu the next year could also do but that my used '98 Corvette still doesn't. How did GM have the radio on technology in a '97 Buick and not bother putting it in their Corvette?

Even worse, it's just a simple relay wired in that keeps it energized until a door is opened. They could have added it for less than $10.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Protocol7 posted:

These always reminded me of a tick that was completely full and about to pop.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

veedubfreak posted:

These always reminded me of a tick that was completely full and about to pop.

You know how they say cars have faces? The face on that Taurus reminds me of a specific person. Jim Carrey.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

track day bro! posted:

This guy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxlRTsnughI
What a loving ricer m8 what the hell is a vln, come back when you hit some cones with a mx5 m8.

He's a real piece of poo poo for sure and I notice that the people goading me do not seem to care. Makes you think.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Taurus wagons (or Sables in this case), this parks near me sometimes:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That was my point, we all think it's terrible now, but before long all those melty oval cars are going to be sought after relics by kids who think they look cool.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Not if we find and crush them all first.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

powderific posted:

Speaking of Taurus wagons (or Sables in this case), this parks near me sometimes:

When all you have is a rivet gun and sawzall, everything is going to start looking like a pickup.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Captain Trips posted:

In response to this article being shared with the comment "I'm just gonna keep rocks in my car to throw at these redneck assholes."

IT CAME FROM FACEBOOK

Remind me how dumping more fuel into the engine:

A) Gets you better MPG
B) Saves the environment

These loving people not only destroy their engines, they give the rest of us diesel owners a bad name.

gently caress them.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

powderific posted:

It's almost an improvement in the looks department to be honest.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Sculpting a turd.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kenshin posted:

It's almost an improvement in the looks department to be honest.

Big downgrade in the utility department though.. those wagons have a ton of space back there without modifications.

And utility is the only reason anyone would willingly own one of those, right?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

xzzy posted:

Big downgrade in the utility department though.. those wagons have a ton of space back there without modifications.

And utility is the only reason anyone would willingly own one of those, right?

Desperation?

I honestly don't know. The same could be said for the PT Cruiser or Pontiac Aztek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Fucknag posted:

Terrible car guy stuff. Someone posted this video on my FB:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoEJR3mRTek

I can't stand this argument. Okay, great, you can spend $200k making a car almost as fast as a million dollar car that weighs twice as much (I'm assuming the Skyline is stripped out), while in all likelihood ruining street driveability, stressing the motor (that RB can't have much life in it at those power levels, compared to a stock Veyron), and judging by the trap speeds couldn't get anywhere near the Veyron's top speed, which is it's primary selling point.

Why don't people get that there's more to supercars than just a single metric of performance? You're not paying a million dollars for a 250mph tube-frame racer, you're paying for a comfortable luxury car, with climate control and stereo system and leather and heated seats, which it happens can go 250mph.

E: Don't get me wrong, I love GT-Rs, they're just in an entirely different category of vehicles. Apples to oranges.

Kinda like a bone stock $15.5k bike versus a Veyron.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG9y7zyP8PY