Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Samurai Sanders posted:

How effective are internal affairs people in police departments, anyway? Are there shining success stories of them getting bad cops fired left and right, or anything like that?

But more in general, the idea of an organization as horribly beweaponed as the police in charge of their own oversight has always seemed very strange to me.
Given that LEO's are part of the nations largest gang, and IA squads serve to investigate their own, I have a feeling that all of the depictions of Internal Affairs on shows like Law and Order are probably fairly accurate. The Blue Wall means every cop has his or her fellow cops backs, from Chief to deputy, no matter what, even when they gently caress up royally. IA are part of that Wall but without the unspoken vow of solidarity and silence that goes along with being a cop. Scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
The Oxford, Merrian Webster, Macmillan, and every other major dictionary of record doesn't agree with this thread's definition of Civilian. So while your talking about things we can "verify", I think you can let the cops are or are not "civilians" thing rest. But keep raging about semantics guys if it makes you feel better.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Untagged posted:

The Oxford, Merrian Webster, Macmillan, and every other major dictionary of record doesn't agree with this thread's definition of Civilian. So while your talking about things we can "verify", I think you can let the cops are or are not "civilians" thing rest. But keep raging about semantics guys if it makes you feel better.

Now if only there were treaties that covered who was a civilian and who wasn't. This is actually a major problem with the police, they consider themselves to be combatants in a war. Its not raging about semantics, it is one of the major problems and I would argue a mandatory section of reform.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
Our IA seems pretty effective at least. They investigate any citizen complaints or use of force. Any major incidents like shootings are jointly investigated by our people and the SBI. Our in-car cameras have helped a lot with complaints and most officers are grateful for the because it exonerates the officer usually.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

deratomicdog posted:

Our IA seems pretty effective at least. They investigate any citizen complaints or use of force. Any major incidents like shootings are jointly investigated by our people and the SBI. Our in-car cameras have helped a lot with complaints and most officers are grateful for the because it exonerates the officer usually.

Well thanks for your candour at least.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

karthun posted:

Civilians? Police are civilians. If you want to make the argument that civilian police don't know or are trained in police procedure, criminal law, rules of evidence, etc go right ahead. Civilian police are not under the UCMJ. You are not military. Stop pretending that you are.

Secondly a civil review board can't have a lawyer explaining this to them? And if the community (not civilian because you are call civilians) review board is not going to change a thing then why not let the board exist and do nothing? There would be no harm right?

Focusing on the mindset of the police for a bit, they really do view themselves separately from the people they protect. People pick up on this I know I did. I lived in the middle of one of the worst parts of the city in Milwaukee and the cops looked at everyone there the way one would animals.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

SirKibbles posted:

Focusing on the mindset of the police for a bit, they really do view themselves separately from the people they protect. People pick up on this I know I did. I lived in the middle of one of the worst parts of the city in Milwaukee and the cops looked at everyone there the way one would animals.

And it's the same all over the world. Until cops see themselves as accountable to their societies, they will keep killing and lying.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tias posted:

And it's the same all over the world. Until cops see themselves as accountable to their societies, they will keep killing and lying.

It isn't, I'd be lying if I said I don't trust my local police force. They've earned that trust by acting fairly the few times I've had to deal with them and there not having been any scandals for years. :shrug:

VVVVVVVVVV EDIT: This coming from a country where babies don't get grenades thrown in the their face.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 6, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Xoidanor posted:

It isn't, I'd be lying if I said I don't trust my local police force. They've earned that trust by acting fairly the few times I've had to deal with them and there not having been any scandals for years. :shrug:

That's how it is with most citizens, otherwise the system would change. Their overbearing presence keeps you and your property values safe from the Other.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

How effective are internal affairs people in police departments, anyway? Are there shining success stories of them getting bad cops fired left and right, or anything like that?

But more in general, the idea of an organization as horribly beweaponed as the police in charge of their own oversight has always seemed very strange to me.

Since internal affairs is made up of police employees and answers solely to police leadership, the effectiveness of any given IA department depends entirely on the mindset, management, and corruption level of the department they're part of. lovely corrupt police departments whose leadership is mostly concerned with busting heads and covering up misconduct generally have IA departments mostly concerned with justifying the head-busting and sweeping misconduct under the rug. Even at good police departments, though, the tight brotherhood and "us vs them" mentality common among police officers means that cops are generally not the best people to investigate other cops.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Main Paineframe posted:

Since internal affairs is made up of police employees and answers solely to police leadership, the effectiveness of any given IA department depends entirely on the mindset, management, and corruption level of the department they're part of. lovely corrupt police departments whose leadership is mostly concerned with busting heads and covering up misconduct generally have IA departments mostly concerned with justifying the head-busting and sweeping misconduct under the rug. Even at good police departments, though, the tight brotherhood and "us vs them" mentality common among police officers means that cops are generally not the best people to investigate other cops.

Are you a cop how do you know this

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I sure do love to harp on about my gun-free society but seriously living in a place where patrol officers are completely unarmed and don't spend all day cruising around but rather on foot is pretty nice. I've heard them say lovely things to people, mostly drug addicts or homeless people, while I've been in the city but I feel like we don't have that separation of us and them like you might see in the States or Australia.

Irish police satisfaction was about 69% total satisfied in 2012.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Bedshaped posted:

I sure do love to harp on about my gun-free society
Someone should tell the IRA they aren't supposed to have guns.

Then again they're generally more interested in murdering each other / the PSNI than they are in shooting it out with the Garda.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
The IRA have been disarmed to the point that they are likely less threatening than your average legal US militia.

If beat cops didn't carry firearms this guy would probably be alive today:

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I saw something yesterday that blew me away. I was driving down the highway when traffic began to clog up pretty bad. Up ahead the left lane was blocked with a truck angled across the highway, then about 3 county sheriff's cruisers. He appeared to be handcuffed, with his feet flat on the ground, but leaning over the concrete divider. Suddenly, two of the sheriffs grabbed him, one on each foot, and pulled him off the divider to the ground. They leaped on him, even though he didn't appear to be resisting. As we drove by the scene, my girlfriend claimed to see a third sheriff Tazer the poor guy in the neck. I really wish I had hooked up my dash cam, because it looked egregious from a distance and a recording would have been good to have.

For the life of me, I'll never understand using force on a handcuffed, non-resisting "suspect". I don't care what happened before that, there was no call for it.

SrgMagnum
Nov 12, 2007
Got old money, could buy a dinosaur

anonumos posted:

I saw something yesterday that blew me away. I was driving down the highway when traffic began to clog up pretty bad. Up ahead the left lane was blocked with a truck angled across the highway, then about 3 county sheriff's cruisers. He appeared to be handcuffed, with his feet flat on the ground, but leaning over the concrete divider. Suddenly, two of the sheriffs grabbed him, one on each foot, and pulled him off the divider to the ground. They leaped on him, even though he didn't appear to be resisting. As we drove by the scene, my girlfriend claimed to see a third sheriff Tazer the poor guy in the neck. I really wish I had hooked up my dash cam, because it looked egregious from a distance and a recording would have been good to have.

For the life of me, I'll never understand using force on a handcuffed, non-resisting "suspect". I don't care what happened before that, there was no call for it.

There are many things that could have happened to cause that response. He could have been pulling a gun out of his pocket (happened to me on Easter) or could have been making a move to push himself over the divider which would put him in moving traffic while handcuffed. Sometimes what appears to be non-resisting to somebody passing by while driving looks completely different from up close and involved in the situation.

Sometimes there is absolute cause to use force on somebody in handcuffs. Handcuffs don't magically stop people from being dangerous, they just reduce the risk.

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW

Bedshaped posted:

I sure do love to harp on about my gun-free society but seriously living in a place where patrol officers are completely unarmed and don't spend all day cruising around but rather on foot is pretty nice. I've heard them say lovely things to people, mostly drug addicts or homeless people, while I've been in the city but I feel like we don't have that separation of us and them like you might see in the States or Australia.

Irish police satisfaction was about 69% total satisfied in 2012.

Too bad about that massive corruption scandal that reached up to the highest echelons of government and down to individual stations. Let's be honest, the guards are exactly as bad as they could be given their relatively lower ability to project force compared to other countries' police.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Finnish police are armed yet are one of the most trusted by their population in the world, and practically nobody gets shot by them. But hey simple answers appeal.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Great, even cracked are now getting in on mocking the systemic overuse of SWAT-teams.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-reasons-police-are-starting-to-look-like-supervillains_p2/

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

Finnish police are armed yet are one of the most trusted by their population in the world, and practically nobody gets shot by them. But hey simple answers appeal.
I think I have read this claim before, and I still can't find anything at all to suggest it's remotely true. In fact if the source cited here is accurate it seems their rate of deaths in custody is actually pretty loving awful (somewhere around 5-10 times the UK rate).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

I'm curious on what, if any, the general consensus is on de-criminalising hard drugs like Heroin, Crack cocaine and Methamphetamine is among Goons.

I'm absolutely for decriminalizing possession, and I would imagine most other people are as well. I'm not as sure about legalization, however. It might be somewhat selfish, but as an addict it would be extremely difficult for me if potent opioids were sold in stores; even if I had the self-control, it would still be very uncomfortable just dealing with the choice. Then again, for many other addicts it's probably just as easy for them to acquire their drug of choice on the streets. I probably lean more towards treating "hard" drugs in the same way that we treat, say, alcohol; I can't think of a rational reason to treat them differently, even if it wouldn't be preferable for me personally.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Ytlaya posted:

I'm absolutely for decriminalizing possession, and I would imagine most other people are as well. I'm not as sure about legalization, however. It might be somewhat selfish, but as an addict it would be extremely difficult for me if potent opioids were sold in stores; even if I had the self-control, it would still be very uncomfortable just dealing with the choice. Then again, for many other addicts it's probably just as easy for them to acquire their drug of choice on the streets. I probably lean more towards treating "hard" drugs in the same way that we treat, say, alcohol; I can't think of a rational reason to treat them differently, even if it wouldn't be preferable for me personally.

I feel the same way with tobacco. I wish we would just flat out ban it, so that I wouldn't have to decide every day not to walk across the street and buy a pack.
I honestly think that a tobacco black market would barely exist if it was banned.

I am all for legalising all substances though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

klen dool posted:

I feel the same way with tobacco. I wish we would just flat out ban it, so that I wouldn't have to decide every day not to walk across the street and buy a pack.
I honestly think that a tobacco black market would barely exist if it was banned.

Tobacco is already being phased out in the US, it's basically illegal to use it in most public areas and general smoking rates are extremely far down compared to historical rates and the world at large (smoking rates of women are up but they're hilariously low in basically all countries).

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

klen dool posted:

A significant tobacco black market exists right now just to avoid taxes, and banning it would only increase the incentives to smuggle.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

JeffersonClay posted:

A significant tobacco black market exists right now just to avoid taxes, and banning it would only increase the incentives to smuggle.

Well I dunno, if tobacco isn't easily available from shops at all perhaps people won't start in the first place. I know this argument might look like an argument for prohibition of all substances - but tobacco differs from other drugs in that it doesn't get you high. People might not be keen to go find an illegal substance where using it is obvious and doesn't get you high.

Right now you can start smoking and get hooked then go looking for cheaper alternatives to buying it legally. There exists right now a lot of people (like me) who got hooked back in the day before it was taxed and are looking for cheaper alternatives too buying it legally. One is to quit, which I guess is the point of the taxes. The other is to get it illegally.

Hell, apparently when methamphetamine got to London a few years ago it just didn't really catch on - who would use method when you have cheap MDMA and cocaine and lots of other wonderful substances available? And meth IS addictive.

I am not saying a black market wouldn't exist. I think in tobacco's case the black market would be very niche and exist where you could smoke outside without getting caught, and mostly consist of current existing smokers.

I still think my position is a little hypocritical, which is probably why I am trying so hard to point out the difference between tobacco and other addictive substances lol

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

klen dool posted:

Well I dunno, if tobacco isn't easily available from shops at all perhaps people won't start in the first place. I know this argument might look like an argument for prohibition of all substances - but tobacco differs from other drugs in that it doesn't get you high. People might not be keen to go find an illegal substance where using it is obvious and doesn't get you high.

Right now you can start smoking and get hooked then go looking for cheaper alternatives to buying it legally. There exists right now a lot of people (like me) who got hooked back in the day before it was taxed and are looking for cheaper alternatives too buying it legally. One is to quit, which I guess is the point of the taxes. The other is to get it illegally.

Hell, apparently when methamphetamine got to London a few years ago it just didn't really catch on - who would use method when you have cheap MDMA and cocaine and lots of other wonderful substances available? And meth IS addictive.

I am not saying a black market wouldn't exist. I think in tobacco's case the black market would be very niche and exist where you could smoke outside without getting caught, and mostly consist of current existing smokers.

I still think my position is a little hypocritical, which is probably why I am trying so hard to point out the difference between tobacco and other addictive substances lol

Banning tobacco would cause the same problems that Prohibition on alcohol created, and the same problems we see now with illegal drugs. Don't you doubt it. Not only would thousands be sent to jail for copping a nicotine buzz, but the prices would skyrocket and quality would dip. Imagine all the cheap-n-dirty additives that bootleggers would add to a tobacco crop as they harvest, dry, and roll it into cigarettes.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

anonumos posted:

Banning tobacco would cause the same problems that Prohibition on alcohol created, and the same problems we see now with illegal drugs. Don't you doubt it. Not only would thousands be sent to jail for copping a nicotine buzz, but the prices would skyrocket and quality would dip. Imagine all the cheap-n-dirty additives that bootleggers would add to a tobacco crop as they harvest, dry, and roll it into cigarettes.
Not opposing your argument but tobacco already has all kinds of awful additives, only put there by giant, legal companies.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Samurai Sanders posted:

Not opposing your argument but tobacco already has all kinds of awful additives, only put there by giant, legal companies.
Yeah, but as awful and poo poo all those additives are they're still regulated. Unregulated would be even more chock-full of poo poo and probably 50% other poo poo like grass clippings dyed brown.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

We have unregulated nicotine popping up all over the place in the USA right now with vape shops. Flavored cigarettes got banned because they could be attractive to kids, but there are mall kiosks pushing candy and fruit flavored vapor loaded with way more nicotine than a cigarette. I know a few people who have toned down their nicotine addiction a lot using e-cigarettes, but I also know people who have probably tripled their nicotine intake wearing a vapor pen around their neck all day compared to when they were a pack a day smoker.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Didn't the "flavor" cigs just get replaced by euphemisms such as blue, gold, menthol, etc...? Or is there something different between Marlboro Reds and Marlboro Black besides that Black is usually a bit cheaper?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

wixard posted:

We have unregulated nicotine popping up all over the place in the USA right now with vape shops. Flavored cigarettes got banned because they could be attractive to kids, but there are mall kiosks pushing candy and fruit flavored vapor loaded with way more nicotine than a cigarette. I know a few people who have toned down their nicotine addiction a lot using e-cigarettes, but I also know people who have probably tripled their nicotine intake wearing a vapor pen around their neck all day compared to when they were a pack a day smoker.

Cigarettes are not dangerous simply because of the nicotine, they're addictive because of it but that's not what destroys lungs and give people cancer.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Didn't the "flavor" cigs just get replaced by euphemisms such as blue, gold, menthol, etc...? Or is there something different between Marlboro Reds and Marlboro Black besides that Black is usually a bit cheaper?

There are no more cherry or melon cigarettes anymore. Those were deemed "candy flavored" and attractive to kids. "Lights" were also banned, as well as any other language that suggested one flavor was more healthy than another. "Light" was replaced by "Blue", "Silver", "Bold", or any other confusing terms that amount to the same damned thing.

Menthol was on the chopping block, too, as a "flavored" cigarette, but there was too much pushback from all sides to ban it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel_(cigarette)#USA_varieties
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlboro_(cigarette)#American_cigarette_varieties

Someone kindly labeled the Camel varieties on Wikipedia with the previous names, but Marlboro's Wikipedia entry only shows the current names.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menthol_cigarette#United_States_2

quote:

Several Black advocacy groups have voiced opposition to a proposed ban on menthol in cigarettes. The Congress of Racial Equality, the National Black Chamber of Commerce, the National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives, and the National Black Police Association have urged the FDA to reject a ban on mentholated cigarettes due to concerns that banning mentholated cigarettes could spur an illicit market for the outlawed products in minority communities.[19][20][21]

Groups representing law enforcement officers also oppose the ban. The Law Enforcement Alliance of America and the National Troopers Coalition have urged the FDA to consider the impact a ban on menthol cigarettes would have on tobacco smuggling.[22]

The proposed menthol ban also saw opposition from organized labor. In December 2010, workers from the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union protested outside a meeting between FDA officials and industry representatives in Raleigh, North Carolina, arguing that a menthol ban would cost many workers their jobs.[23]

Additionally, the National Association of Convenience Stores opposes the ban based on menthol cigarettes accounting for 4% of their sales.[24]

Here's the relevant regulation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Smoking_Prevention_and_Tobacco_Control_Act

quote:

The Act gives the Food and Drug Administration the power to regulate the tobacco industry. A signature element of the law imposes new warnings and labels on tobacco packaging and their advertisements, with the goal of discouraging minors and young adults from smoking. The Act also bans flavored cigarettes, places limits on the advertising of tobacco products to minors and requires tobacco companies to seek FDA approval for new tobacco products.

The ACS press release also noted that the legislation would "require cigarette companies to disclose all ingredients used in cigarettes and to stop using words like 'light' and 'ultra-light' to give the impression that some tobacco products have a lower health risk."

The bill bans flavored cigarettes, including cloves, cinnamon, candy, and fruit flavors, with a special exception for menthol cigarettes.

Because Philip Morris is the largest producer of cigarettes in the United States and the bill would have the effect of eliminating potential competition, the bill has been nicknamed the Marlboro Monopoly Act of 2009.

There's some suggestions that this law also banned vending machines, but I can't find any relevant info about it.

anonumos fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 10, 2014

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Xoidanor posted:

Cigarettes are not dangerous simply because of the nicotine, they're addictive because of it but that's not what destroys lungs and give people cancer.
That's very true, but as far as I know the jury is out on long-term effects of inhaling vapor juice, and there's no regulation on what companies might put in their nicotine vapor juice. I'm someone who generally supports deregulation of drugs, selling flavored vapor with a significantly higher nicotine concentration than cigarettes might mitigate second-hand smoke issues, but it seems like a bigger potential addiction problem than cigarettes themselves. So far none of the major drug pushers like big tobacco or big pharma have made it into the market, but with their lobby and market penetration they could get way more people addicted to their products than they do now.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

wixard posted:

That's very true, but as far as I know the jury is out on long-term effects of inhaling vapor juice, and there's no regulation on what companies might put in their nicotine vapor juice. I'm someone who generally supports deregulation of drugs, selling flavored vapor with a significantly higher nicotine concentration than cigarettes might mitigate second-hand smoke issues, but it seems like a bigger potential addiction problem than cigarettes themselves. So far none of the major drug pushers like big tobacco or big pharma have made it into the market, but with their lobby and market penetration they could get way more people addicted to their products than they do now.

Anecdotally, I know many people who have switched to or tried vaporizers (e-cigs) and none became "more" addicted in any way. Nearly all of them have quit nicotine altogether, though several went back to smoking as they always did.

I agree, the vapor juice is suspect, and without any oversight or testing we don't know the contents, but I believe they can't be any more dangerous than cigarettes themselves. I'd like to see e-cigs become a fixture of the market, but definitely with more regulation.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

wixard posted:

Probably. The thing that makes me hopeful about vapor cigs is that it's basically a miniaturized water pipe.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Xoidanor posted:

Probably. The thing that makes me hopeful about vapor cigs is that it's basically a miniaturized water pipe.

It's not that in any way, apart from the fact that both have flavours. Hookah smoke is still smoke, e-cigarettes produce a vapour with or without nicotine.

Having tried e-cigarettes: the flavours are garbage, and I like the taste of tobacco, so I don't like that part of it; further, it's easier to get more addicted to nicotine because there's no start/end point for smoking like there is with a normal cigarette. You can keep reaching for that thing as often as you want. Lastly, I found that it didn't really make me feel any better. It might be less likely to give me cancer, but I was coughing even worse in the mornings (and it wasn't just because I was quitting cigarettes, since I've done that before for periods of years and never experienced the same thing).

Eugene V. Deadlift
Apr 8, 2013
This is a strange derail

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

ImAMinister posted:

This is a strange derail

It's what what happens when GBS and D&D finish circle jerking themselves. Like when you bust a nut you gotta take a break unless you're a stud like me. We are just in the middle of jerkoff sessions.

Eugene V. Deadlift
Apr 8, 2013
Oh, well in the meantime here's some content.

quote:

Sheriff Wooten said a deputy, who was not named, was on approaching the property when a dog ran up to him. The deputy's gun fired one shot, missing the dog and hitting the child. It was not immediately clear if the gun was actively fired by the deputy.

The rest of the story is here: http://m.walb.com/#!/newsDetail/25991974

In an attempt to apprehend a suspect, the deputy saw it fit to shoot a dog, but managed instead to shoot a child. What can be done about something like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

ImAMinister posted:

Oh, well in the meantime here's some content.

The rest of the story is here: http://m.walb.com/#!/newsDetail/25991974

In an attempt to apprehend a suspect, the deputy saw it fit to shoot a dog, but managed instead to shoot a child. What can be done about something like this?

Nothing -- cops are convinced that every "civilian", that is to say, all non-cops including children and dogs, is out to get them; they know that they can shoot at whoever or whatever they feel like without ever suffering a real consequence; and too many people are wrapped up in the "our heroes risking their lives YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE" bullshit to ever reign them in. Move somewhere where no cops ever go or don't have a dog or children, I guess.

• Locked thread