Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

my (Dad's) first computer was a 486DX2-66 from Gateway 2000, but we upgraded it to the 83 MHz Pentium Overdrive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

my first computer ran at 12mhz, cost $2000, and came with a virus accidentally preinstalled by the manufacturer (packard bell lol)

8 MHz here. But dual 5.25" floppy drives. :pcgaming:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

my first computer ran at 12mhz, cost $2000, and came with a virus accidentally preinstalled by the manufacturer (packard bell lol)

was the virus DOS?

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
my first computer was a pos as all computers are

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rear end cobra posted:

my first computer was a pos as all computers are

I bought one yesterday and it's good

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nope on further inspection it is a POS

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

homo punching bag posted:

Nope on further inspection it is a POS
maybe its just the os

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
yeah i guess maybe the computer is just funny and its the os thats a pos

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

not comic sans, voted 1

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

wheres the generator for this again

i swear ill bookmark it this time

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FMguru posted:

maybe its just the os

rear end cobra posted:

yeah i guess maybe the computer is just funny and its the os thats a pos

probably correct but i made sure to buy the computr 2014 operating system windows 8.1 and not 2013 bad operating systm windows 8.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

was the virus DOS?

yes, but also music bug. a charming little old school virus all things considered

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
At our core, Microsoft is the productivity and platform company for the mobile-first and cloud-first world.

Across Microsoft, we will obsess over reinventing productivity and platforms.

This transformation is well underway as we moved Office from the desktop to a service with Office 365 and our solutions from individual productivity to group productivity tools – both to the delight of our customers.

lol their customers must be so delighted by yearly subscriptions for word processors and spreadsheets

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

max4me posted:

HAHA No RDram had to be run in pairs hence the word SET of 128

128X2=256 basically it was 4 sticks of 128.

well you could have had a vrm to run a single stick. the vrm's weren't cheap either though at the time. mwave had em listed as "RDRAM - 0MB" probably to make you feel extra dumb for buying them.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

lol their customers must be so delighted by yearly subscriptions for word processors and spreadsheets

microsoft's "customers" are already paying yearly subscriptions and have been for years and years I hope this helps

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they still offer single purchase licenses which loving sucks cause I want vs 2013 and sql 2014 but we didn't get the subscription cause we're cheap as gently caress

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

api call girl posted:

microsoft's "customers" are already paying yearly subscriptions and have been for years and years I hope this helps

enterprise does but the small business space buys a single copy when they replaces the computer every 10 years and upgrades office then. the subscription model is a shakeup for them

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

enterprise does but the small business space buys a single copy when they replaces the computer every 10 years and upgrades office then. the subscription model is a shakeup for them

I think you mean shakedown

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

yup. still sell a fuckload of Home and Business copies of office because:

- you can walk into a local Staples and buy it and have it installed and running within like an hour, because small businesses do gently caress-all pre-planning.
- unless the business is a charity, buying office this way is way cheaper even per-license, and no re-purchase is required until the copy of office is horribly outdated

it is an enormous pain because we have to create a new dummy microsoft online account with the same name as the pc we're installing to and document all this info, but it's a few hundred cheaper per copy easily

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
office 365 is so much better for small businesses that its not even worth thinking about.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
"hey let me manage my own exchange and office installs" - some retard idiot fucker.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

office 365 is so much better for small businesses that its not even worth thinking about.

"why should we have to pay a subscription when we already own everything we need? like this sbs 2003 on a dynamic ip address exchange server and office 2003, 50/50 chance of using the FCKGW-equivalent for o2k3 copies of office?"

also office 365 subs (assuming we can even get the company to swing for the properly-priced one) come with office 2013 which doesn't work with xp so welp

univbee fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 10, 2014

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I cant wait till our ceo gives up his fight against the cloud so we can move all this poo poo to 365 and azure

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

can michaelsoft stop making their cloud services crash because its pretty much killed any chance of a 365 rollout here for a few years

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shaggar posted:

I cant wait till our ceo gives up his fight against the cloud so we can move all this poo poo to 365 and azure

your company is run by abe simpson?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Shaggar posted:

I'm mostly happy with moving our email to O365 except when

can michaelsoft stop making their cloud services crash because its pretty much killed any chance of a 365 rollout here for a few years

then I've got bitch idiot users coming to me non-stop about email issues and all I can say is welp not my problem

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Shaggar posted:

umm didnt you see his letter from today hes embracing cloud and mobile with bold ambition

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i've been using 365 since the private beta and there have been two outages that i've noticed. one was microsoft completely loving up their internal dns

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

infernal machines posted:

i've been using 365 since the private beta and there have been two outages that i've noticed. one was microsoft completely loving up their internal dns

microsoft runs a few different cloud "tiers", some for education because of some requirements they have, some for business, some for public/free thing. they crashed the poo poo out of the education one about 3 weeks ago and it made a bunch of universities withdraw on their proposals to migrate

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
email isn't that important.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

microsoft runs a few different cloud "tiers", some for education because of some requirements they have, some for business, some for public/free thing. they crashed the poo poo out of the education one about 3 weeks ago and it made a bunch of universities withdraw on their proposals to migrate

lol. enterprise tier 4 lyfe~

actually i'm on a small business plan that doesn't exist anymore, but whatever

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol. enterprise tier 4 lyfe~

actually i'm on a small business plan that doesn't exist anymore, but whatever

the ed tier is pretty much the same as enterprise except higher ed is super cagey about their data being replicated on over-seas links and having their data stolen by government agencies so its US-only

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

the other fun thing about office 365 is that microsoft doesn't support anything past its mainstream support phase, so one of the companies we support that basically spent a fuckton of money on licenses back in 2007 but not a dime since got to go through the whole "well, your complicated-as-gently caress calendar sharing mess doesn't work in outlook 2007 anymore, and microsoft support basically told us to gently caress ourselves; you need a newer version of office but they only sell 2013 which doesn't work on your old-as-gently caress xp computers so you can either buy new computers and new licenses or use the web access, which we can't guarantee will continue working much longer from xp's ie8 either"

i think they're using the web access :ughh:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the ed tier is pretty much the same as enterprise except higher ed is super cagey about their data being replicated on over-seas links and having their data stolen by government agencies so its US-only

we have a client that does some gov't related stuff, we're stuck looking for third party hosted exchange for them because microsoft won't guarantee data storage in canada, only north america.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

univbee posted:

the other fun thing about office 365 is that microsoft doesn't support anything past its mainstream support phase, so one of the companies we support that basically spent a fuckton of money on licenses back in 2007 but not a dime since got to go through the whole "well, your complicated-as-gently caress calendar sharing mess doesn't work in outlook 2007 anymore, and microsoft support basically told us to gently caress ourselves; you need a newer version of office but they only sell 2013 which doesn't work on your old-as-gently caress xp computers so you can either buy new computers and new licenses or use the web access, which we can't guarantee will continue working much longer from xp's ie8 either"

i think they're using the web access :ughh:

it makes perfect sense in terms of forcing an upgrade cycle on businesses and consumers that were only buying once every six to ten years

it's good business. and what else are they going to use? lotus domino?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

we have a client that does some gov't related stuff, we're stuck looking for third party hosted exchange for them because microsoft won't guarantee data storage in canada, only north america.

lol like that's gonna stop us from stealing it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

what else are they going to use? lotus domino?

don't loving give them any ideas, i already had one client using that poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

but seriously, they're legally prohibited from having some data stored outside of canada.

hilariously, no matter how many times we tell them that means they can't use dropbox, they keep loving doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

univbee posted:

don't loving give them any ideas, i already had one client using that poo poo

so you worked for shaggar eh?

• Locked thread