Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

Or they won't vote.

The ones who take it in the most will certainly vote. Part of the reason the right's propaganda machine exists is to whip up a frothy, voting mess. Rest of it is money of course.

Keep the hating masses in a constant state of knee jerk and they'll show up at the polls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

TLM3101 posted:

Ahhhhhh, Freedom. The death of four kids, two adults, and one child's pain and life-long traumatization is nothing compared to Glorious Freedaaaaaarrrrgggh :unsmigghh:

Sarcasm aside, Jesus loving christ that poor kid ( and yeah, at 15 she's still a goddamn kid ). I know these things have become common enough now that we just make a small note on the calendar, but every time this happens it gets to me. At the very least, she'll get the support and therapy she needs if she pulls through, free of cha-

Oh.

... Oh.

Wait, are you telling me the kid is literally going to have a Continuum style life debt attached to her from something beyond her control?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Malmesbury Monster posted:

Social media is the new dotcom, and we all remember how well it turned out the first time.

Is Twitter still bleeding money at an alarming rate? They're my favorite dotcom 2.0 site because they're very popular and extremely useful yet have no real revenue.

hobbesmaster posted:

I can't believe people criticized him for that because that was a legit good joke.

We need a president that spends his time doing something other than good for variety's sake. It was Eisenhower that was constantly golfing right?

If he was on SNL then sure, it's a good joke. When you're giving a serious interview about a rather big loving deal you don't make a smug "I don't give a gently caress" joke/comment like that. It'd have been like if after Clinton gave his "I did not have sexual relations with her" comment he followed it up with "who wants to go to a titty bar?"

hobbesmaster posted:

Now that you point out the water it seems bizarre that they're unlabeled.

Removing labels isn't uncommon in media. Watch a show like myhtbusters and you'll sometimes see that when they're out on a boat or elsewhere there are people wearing clothing with the brand blurred out or covered because said brand isn't paying for the advertisement of being visible on the show. ESPN definitely does this as well if for no other reason than Reebok, Nike..etc get pissed when they pay for advertisement or sponsorship and someone's on TV wearing competition clothing with the logo visible.

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

I could easily do it if need be...but why do that when someone has already done that in a classy manner that most won't recognize?

Wonder Woman's an rear end in a top hat. :(

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DemeaninDemon posted:

The ones who take it in the most will certainly vote. Part of the reason the right's propaganda machine exists is to whip up a frothy, voting mess. Rest of it is money of course.

Keep the hating masses in a constant state of knee jerk and they'll show up at the polls.

Sure, some of them will but a lot won't. This is doubly true if you piss off the people that actually run the GOTV campaigns (mostly evangelicals these days).

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

hobbesmaster posted:

I can't believe people criticized him for that because that was a legit good joke.

We need a president that spends his time doing something other than good for variety's sake. It was Eisenhower that was constantly golfing right?

I think two people have quoted you so far and not actually answered- yes, it was Eisenhower who was a big fan of golfing.

Looking up Ike, apparently I really like the guy.

edit: \/\/--Young Turks continues to not be worth watching. It's always like 3 minutes of a guy patting himself on the back for being marginally smarter than CNN.

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 10, 2014

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjLHKNJ4NnQ

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Cheekio posted:

I think two people have quoted you so far and not actually answered- yes, it was Eisenhower who was a big fan of golfing.

Looking up Ike, apparently I really like the guy.

Ike was the last republican I could actually see myself voting for.

I mean yeah he gave Nixon a national platform... and yeah he started getting the US involved in Vietnam, but as republican presidents go he pretty much knew what the gently caress was up.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Fried Chicken posted:

It gets worse - the shooting started when two men bumped into each other on the street, it escalated to both drawing and opening fire, and the only ones hit were bystanders and both shooters are still at large

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/crime/2014/07/07/impd-asking-publics-help-broad-ripple-shooting/12314999/

That is literally a scene from a Boondocks cartoon that I watched while high as a kite back in 2005.

I should watch good things when I smoke up so that only good things will happen...

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013

zoux posted:

Ted Akin's sorry y'all....

that he was sorry :twisted:

Akin posted:

quote:
“By asking the public at large for forgiveness,” Akin writes, “I was validating the willful misinterpretation of what I had said.”

And when it comes to his infamous line about rape and pregnancy, that “the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down,” he writes defiantly: “My comment about a woman’s body shutting the pregnancy down was directed to the impact of stress of fertilization. This is something fertility doctors debate and discuss,” Akin writes. “Doubt me? Google ‘stress and infertility,’ and you will find a library of research on the subject.”

Sure bud. Sure, that's what you meant.

"No, you guys seem to be mad for no reason. See what I meant was that sometimes women lie about getting raped so they can get an abortion."
"Yeah, we know what you meant."
"Hmm, you still don't seem to be understanding. See, sometimes women lie about getting raped so they can get an abortion."
":sigh:"

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Should Obama go to the border? Should he suck it up and make it a photo op and just do it? The talking heads on the radio are all over it, screaming how he is ignoring his duty by not going to the border. Governor Good Hair Perry is saying its his Katrina moment. And today, Charles Pierce in his politics blog at Esquire, a pundit I agree with a lot, says its his duty as President.

I think Pierce is wrong. I don't think there is anything to be gained or done by Obama making a quick trip or even extended visit to the border. And Pierce's blog post contains the reason why.

quote:

This is what presidents do. They go to places where a crisis has erupted and they assure the victims that they still have a stake in the country and that the country still has a stake in them.

From the most charitable viewpoint, those children are illegal immigrants, many probably refugees, that deserve compassion and charity. But they don't have a stake in this country and the public is about equally divided on whether they should ever be allowed to have a stake in this country, and a majority of the public doesn't believe the country has a stake in them. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by Obama going to the border to see something that he can do absolutely nothing to prevent or correct.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
So in Virginia news, the fight over the Medicaid expansion isn't over yet.

Things are still hosed up up from that rear end in a top hat Puckett resigning and turning the senate 20-19 for the Republicans, which really really sucks given just how many squeaker victories the Democrats had to pull in order to get that slim as gently caress majority in the first place. rear end in a top hat.:bang:

quote:

Emails released through the Freedom of Information Act indicate that Del. Terry Kilgore, R-Gate City, was lining up a job with the Tobacco Indemnification and Community Revitalization Commission for former Democratic state Sen. Phil Puckett in the weeks before Puckett resigned. Federal subpoenas show that a grand jury is looking into the issue.

The House will go back into session the week of Sept. 22, Howell announced Wednesday. The Senate will be in session that same week.

The two chambers may also go back into session before September to elect judges. Those meetings may include a decision on Puckett's daughter, who is awaiting final word about her judgeship in southwest Virginia. Senate Republicans held up on that vote earlier this year, citing a policy against naming close family members of sitting members to the bench.

The General Assembly's Medicaid Innovation and Reform Commission, set up last year to follow Medicaid reform efforts and debate expansion, will also meet before the Medicaid session, according to state Sen. Emmett Hanger, who chairs the commission.

MIRC's role has changed, though. As part of this year's budget deal, Republicans stripped potential funding language from the budget, which a number of experts said gutted the commission's role in an eventual expansion decision. McAuliffe responded with a promise to go it alone on expansion, and said he'll have a plan to do so by Sept. 1.

He also ordered his administration not to cooperate with MIRC, which is made up of legislators.
I'm not familiar enough with Virginia to know how this will play out, but I'm glad McAuliffe isn't giving up the fight. I also know that McAuliffe is essentially term limited, so he basically has nothing to lose by trying every trick in the book. Go for it you slimy bastard, do whatever it takes to get Medicaid expanded. If you only do one big thing as Governor, make it that, you're literally saving lives.:getin:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 10, 2014

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

radical meme posted:

Should Obama go to the border? Should he suck it up and make it a photo op and just do it? The talking heads on the radio are all over it, screaming how he is ignoring his duty by not going to the border. Governor Good Hair Perry is saying its his Katrina moment. And today, Charles Pierce in his politics blog at Esquire, a pundit I agree with a lot, says its his duty as President.

I think Pierce is wrong. I don't think there is anything to be gained or done by Obama making a quick trip or even extended visit to the border. And Pierce's blog post contains the reason why.

From the most charitable viewpoint, those children are illegal immigrants, many probably refugees, that deserve compassion and charity. But they don't have a stake in this country and the public is about equally divided on whether they should ever be allowed to have a stake in this country, and a majority of the public doesn't believe the country has a stake in them. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by Obama going to the border to see something that he can do absolutely nothing to prevent or correct.

No because it's only a crisis because conservatives started calling it as such.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

A Winner is Jew posted:

Ike was the last republican I could actually see myself voting for.

I mean yeah he gave Nixon a national platform... and yeah he started getting the US involved in Vietnam, but as republican presidents go he pretty much knew what the gently caress was up.

Wasn't this before the Republican / Democrat switch? I assumed he was a Democrat because of the whole Interstate thing and anti-hawkism warnings against the MIC.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Wonder Woman's an rear end in a top hat. :(

Hell of a stiff-arm, though. Good form all around.

She needs to stop carrying the baby like a loaf of bread if she wants to be a national champion.

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012
Some good Texas-flavored snark about Hobby Lobby and reproductive rights, courtesy of Juanita Jean:

http://www.juanitajean.com/2014/07/08/see-im-not-afraid-to-say-christmas/

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Raenir Salazar posted:

Wait, are you telling me the kid is literally going to have a Continuum style life debt attached to her from something beyond her control?

Yes. :911:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Cheekio posted:

Wasn't this before the Republican / Democrat switch? I assumed he was a Democrat because of the whole Interstate thing and anti-hawkism warnings against the MIC.
The *switch* is far more complicated than that and involves more the southern democrats than anything else. Eisenhower's party affiliation had more to deal with cooperation and issues he had with Dem leadership than anything else, IIRC.

vvvv Yeah, that would be what I was remembering. Yet another guy who REALLY did not like Truman.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 10, 2014

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Taerkar posted:

The *switch* is far more complicated than that and involves more the southern democrats than anything else. Eisenhower's party affiliation had more to deal with cooperation and issues he had with Dem leadership than anything else, IIRC.

He also wanted to give Truman the finger, which might be what you were referring to as "issues he had with Dem leadership."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fun fact the Texas Legislature was majority Democrat until......2001 :monocle:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Evil Fluffy posted:

Is Twitter still bleeding money at an alarming rate? They're my favorite dotcom 2.0 site because they're very popular and extremely useful yet have no real revenue.

They actually made a profit* at one point!

*unless you are some sort of business-hating regulation-loving liberal and use GAAP in which case they lost massive amounts of money

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Man, Akin's like the guy who, when he punches you, says "Well I'm sorry your face was in the way of my fist."

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

SubponticatePoster posted:

These pictures make me irrationally delighted for some reason.
Perry looks like he's desperately clinging to his Grumpy Cat impression because he doesn't want to be seen smiling around Obama.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Those 8 year olds at the border better watch out.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

copper rose petal posted:

"No, you guys seem to be mad for no reason. See what I meant was that sometimes women lie about getting raped so they can get an abortion."
"Yeah, we know what you meant."
"Hmm, you still don't seem to be understanding. See, sometimes women lie about getting raped so they can get an abortion."
":sigh:"

The more you dig into Akin's statement and why he believes those things, the worse it gets really. The study he's referring to was one right before the Roe v Wade decision by a Dr Mecklenburg and it has been used a lot by anti-abortion people ever since. The study is insane and worth looking up. Some of the supporting evidence was from Nazi death camps where they would send Jewish women to mock executions and then check if they were ovulating.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Those 8 year olds at the border better watch out.

Pinche gusano, I will piss on his grave.

psychic chasms
Oct 23, 2012

SCREWED UP CLICK TILL THEY LAY ME IN MY CASKET
Jesus Christ, it's probably almost over but once it's up online look up the speech Obama's giving in Austin right now. Does he always stunt this hard on the haters? I know I'm being pandered to, but I haven't been this into an Obama speech since 2012.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

psychic chasms posted:

Jesus Christ, it's probably almost over but once it's up online look up the speech Obama's giving in Austin right now. Does he always stunt this hard on the haters? I know I'm being pandered to, but I haven't been this into an Obama speech since 2012.

Recently, yeah. He's clearly sick of their bullshit

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Good Citizen posted:

Recently, yeah. He's clearly sick of their bullshit

It's good to be a second term president.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Waiting for the full speech. Right now he's just handing out handshakes and working the crowd like a boss:
http://www.mediaite.com/online/watch-live-obama-delivers-speech-from-austin-texas/

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Cheekio posted:

Waiting for the full speech. Right now he's just handing out handshakes and working the crowd like a boss:
http://www.mediaite.com/online/watch-live-obama-delivers-speech-from-austin-texas/

You can watch it here if you want:
http://www.c-span.org/video/?320376-1/president-obama-jobs-economy

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Good Citizen posted:

The more you dig into Akin's statement and why he believes those things, the worse it gets really. The study he's referring to was one right before the Roe v Wade decision by a Dr Mecklenburg and it has been used a lot by anti-abortion people ever since. The study is insane and worth looking up. Some of the supporting evidence was from Nazi death camps where they would send Jewish women to mock executions and then check if they were ovulating.

:stonk:

Was there anything awful that the Nazis didn't at least give the old college try?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mdemone posted:

:stonk:

Was there anything awful that the Nazis didn't at least give the old college try?

Yes, but that stuff was done by Unit 731.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Since the link between stress and fertility is so clear cut obviously not only does traumatic rape prevent pregnancy, but good wives and mothers should stay out of the hectic rat race.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I'm thoroughly enjoying this. It looks like he woke up.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Cheekio posted:

I'm thoroughly enjoying this. It looks like he woke up.

"Ronald Reagon passed immigration reform and you love Ronald Reagon so let's do it" and "why don't you support the things you used to before I supported them?" Dude knows whats up.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

UH OH:

quote:

What was more surprising is that people who got the new coverage were generally happy with the product. Overall, 73 percent of people who bought health plans and 87 percent of those who signed up for Medicaid said they were somewhat or very satisfied with their new health insurance. Seventy-four percent of newly insured Republicans liked their plans. Even 77 percent of people who had insurance before—including members of the much-publicized group whose plans got canceled last year—were happy with their new coverage.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/07/10/1312995/-New-survey-shows-why-Republicans-anti-Obamacare-campaign-keeps-getting-nbsp-harder

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm curious what percentage of Republicans are committed to screwing themselves in order to stick it to Obama in this way. I would like to think that people getting their needs met would outweigh pointless spite but...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

There's another article going around that claims that those creepy "molesting uncle sam" ads inspired more signups than they discouraged.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Radish posted:

I'm curious what percentage of Republicans are committed to screwing themselves in order to stick it to Obama in this way. I would like to think that people getting their needs met would outweigh pointless spite but...

What I would have expected was that tons of Republicans take Obamacare's goodies, but still say they're disappointed cause Obama. The fact that the number is so high is a pleasing sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mr Interweb posted:

What I would have expected was that tons of Republicans take Obamacare's goodies, but still say they're disappointed cause Obama. The fact that the number is so high is a pleasing sign.

Yeah I'm hoping that it has good results.

• Locked thread