Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

The Kenster posted:

An entire zero people who have taken a life, let alone multiple. I don't quite see why you are so bent making a case that Blackbeard is totes cool when the only time we have ever seen him not be an explicitly conniving badman is when he ate some pie and gave a speech about pirate dreams.
After which he decided to go capture/kill the man he just shared some pie and gave a speech about pirate dreams with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Veskit posted:

In a world where one of the protagonist murdered an entire city for dubious reasons, yeah it can be ambiguous.

Whiskey Peak was an entire town of Baroques Works who intended to kill/capture the crew. It's not really that dubious.

Comic fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 10, 2014

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Veskit posted:

It's easily arguable that Luffy is more evil than Blackbeard for harboring so many mass murdering fuckwads but nobody would look at him as evil. It's perspective and relativity.

Uh, I think you have that backwards. It's pretty safe to assume that at least Zoro and Robin have killed a few people before joining the crew, but did you miss the part of the war arc where Blackbeard recruited literally the worst criminals in the world to join his crew?

Still, as far as One Piece villains go, I would say Blackbeard is less evil than most because aside from the sack of Drum Island and loving up that one town to show off his powers he's mostly been going after other pirates. Compared to people like Crocodile, Enel, Moria and Doflamingo who murdered or exploited a huge number of civilians he's much more straightforward about his goals. Really, he's like Luffy with a bit more planning, a lot less compassion and a couple of ugly shortcuts towards his dream. I can't wait to see his flashback a decade or so from now because I expect Oda has something special planned for a guy named after the most famous pirate in the world. When he's finally defeated I expect it to be because of his own hubris somehow or betrayal by his crew.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I just got to the start of the Ace and Blackbeard fight. The guy Blackbeard killed did know that the fruit he found was the one Blackbeard had been searching for for decades, and that does make him a bit of a dick. I still say Blackbeard's straight up evil. He killed a friend in cold blood for power. He betrays people regularly. He literally turns into darkness.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Wittgen posted:

I just got to the start of the Ace and Blackbeard fight. The guy Blackbeard killed did know that the fruit he found was the one Blackbeard had been searching for for decades, and that does make him a bit of a dick. I still say Blackbeard's straight up evil. He killed a friend in cold blood for power. He betrays people regularly. He literally turns into darkness.

I wonder if we'll get a parallel moment to Whitebeard getting stabbed by Squardo with Blackbeard getting stabbed or betrayed by an ally hungry for power?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Wittgen posted:

It makes someone a huge dick to go and stomp on your dreams purposely when "he's your brother". There's wiggle room to make a case for Blackbeard whether or not he's evil, and it's not black and white as originally stated.

I mean in this world blackbeard is like a semi dark grey in terms of evilness. It's nowhere near the level of someone like a Crocodile, and it's not like Luffy is on the opposite spectrum of evil and is a good person. He's not, but he's certainly not evil. Well he's a good person but I mean he's also a pirate. One piece as a whole is hands down the most morally diverse manga out there and it definitely doesn't have "black and white" moral levels. Blackbeard is on the evil spectrum probably, but it's a spectrum.

Star Platinum posted:

Uh, I think you have that backwards. It's pretty safe to assume that at least Zoro and Robin have killed a few people before joining the crew, but did you miss the part of the war arc where Blackbeard recruited literally the worst criminals in the world to join his crew?

You could make the same "reformed" argument. Blackbeards crew is probably worse, but then again we don't know enough about how lovely his crew members have been vs what the real criminals of the straw hat have done (robin/zoro).

The Kenster posted:

An entire zero people who have taken a life, let alone multiple. I don't quite see why you are so bent making a case that Blackbeard is totes cool when the only time we have ever seen him not be an explicitly conniving badman is when he ate some pie and gave a speech about pirate dreams.

No way in hell zoro and robin haven't straight up murdered people. No, loving, way. She was the right hand person to loving crocodile. Also I'm pretty sure you can't shonen your way out of the whiskey peak incident.

Bisse posted:

I get what you're trying to say but in this case it is as black-and-white as it god drat gets. He wanted something for the benefit of himself only, and he took it and killed anyone who stood in the way. What else should he do to qualify as evil, run babies in the mixer?

Also, which of the protagonists murdered an entire city?
Oh, Zoro on whiskey peak. Well, those were all diagonal slashes across the chest, they'll be fine in the morning. (See: Bleach)

Crocodile is black and white. loving Coby is black and white as it gets. Blackbeard and Luffy are not. That's all I'm trying to get across.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Zoro told Mr. 1 that Baroque Works sent someone to recruit him and he just killed him, and Robin probably had to kill someone even before Crocodile, since she was on the run her whole life.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Blackbeard is pretty unambiguously portrayed as being a bad dude. You keep bringing up how the Strawhats have killed people (which is kinda but not entirely true) but none of those people were ~nakama~ which is the big thing. Teach killed a bro for a selfish desire, and has been shown to be cowardly. That's a big black stamp saying "evil dude" as far as this manga goes.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
I just want to see wht circumstance in which Thatch died.

There's a pretty significant difference between Involuntary Manslaughter and First Degree Murder.

All we know is Blackbeard is responsible for Thatch being killed. The way Blackbeard phrased it sounded like there was more to it than him just stabbing Thatch in the back, at least motivation wise.

I'm not saying BB is a good dude either, just I want to see what end of the spectrum he's on with regards to evil.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 10, 2014

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Blackbeard also sacked the Drum Kingdom and conquered enough territory to be considered an Emperor, although we don't know the exact details. He didn't seem to care about whether he was killing civilians when he fought Ace. He hangs out with people like Shiliew. Blackbeard is definitely evil.

I'm not saying Luffy is really a good guy either (he doesn't seem to care much about the long-term consequences of his actions), but he doesn't attack civilian bystanders or stab allies in the back.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 10, 2014

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
While I won't deny that Zoro and Robin likely killed a number of people, it's all been out of self defense. At Whiskey Peak Zoro was initially attacked by Baroque Works and therefore was defending himself. And for Robin, she's been hunted by the WG, and if she has killed anyone it would have been because she'd have been killed otherwise. Killing out of self defense doesn't make you a bad person. Killing indiscriminately does make you a bad person and that isn't how the Straw Hats work.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

It wasn't self defense when she tried to murder Crocodile. Which in technically is attempting to murder a "nakama".

Also the gently caress, does it make it easier to swallow that blackbeard probably murdered a bad person also? Does it change his level of evilness?

VVVVV OHhh bleh it's been a while. I thought she tried to kill him first especially with how premeditated it was.

Veskit fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 10, 2014

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Veskit posted:

It wasn't self defense when she tried to murder Crocodile.

Yes it was. After she 'read' the Poneglyph he said outright that he was going to kill her.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Blackbeard is at best one of, if not absolutely, the darkest shades of grey in the series. We may not have seen enough of him to make a perfect read on his morality, but by looking at how he's been portrayed we can make a good guess that he is going to be for all intents and purposes one of the series' antagonists, possibly only beaten out in bad-dude-ness by the very top people of the World Government depending on how the truth of the Void Century plays out.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Veskit posted:

It wasn't self defense when she tried to murder Crocodile. Which in technically is attempting to murder a "nakama".

Also the gently caress, does it make it easier to swallow that blackbeard probably murdered a bad person also? Does it change his level of evilness?

VVVVV OHhh bleh it's been a while. I thought she tried to kill him first especially with how premeditated it was.

One Piece is one of the most black and white mangas in existence. It's a shounen manga and you're looking 100x more into poo poo than you should. Luffy is as white as white can be. He never hurts civilians, nor does his crew, the most he does is property damage (which... every shounen hero does).

Blackbeard specifically goes to Impel Down, goes down to the lowest of the low, and goes 'hey, I hear you're huge murderous bastards. Join my crew!'

He's not good. He's not grey. He's a grade A. evil person and you're arguing for no reason. He found out Thatch had the fruit he wanted. He decided to murder thatch for it. He then ran off, intentionally lured Ace into a fight so he could catch him, wrecked an entire town, and ended up wrecking an entire kingdom all after Thatch's murder.

Guy isn't Doffy, but he's not 'grey'. He's not even a 'dark grey'. He's still got a black hat to go with his beard.

Edit: Also, literally everyone who was on Whiskey Peak was an assassin. Literally everyone. And Zoro still specifically used the blunt sides of his sword to minimize casualties. And it's shown to still be intact by one of the cover arcs.

Edit2: Also, you mentioned that Blackbeard is literally Dark Luffy, and that's true - where Luffy specifically avoids killing, avoids betrayal, avoids hurting people in his quest, Blackbeard will lie, cheat, steal, betray, murder... He recruited multiple mass murderers to his crew because of their skills, not in spite of them.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 10, 2014

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I don't know guys, Mango is pretty grey. Dude loves his crew/family and seems to have had a pretty bad childhood. Sure there's the whole Dressrosa thing, but it's not like he personally killed anyone there and morality isn't really about good and evil...

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

I just want to see wht circumstance in which Thatch died.

There's a pretty significant difference between Involuntary Manslaughter and First Degree Murder.

All we know is Blackbeard is responsible for Thatch being killed. The way Blackbeard phrased it sounded like there was more to it than him just stabbing Thatch in the back, at least motivation wise.

I think it's pretty cut and dry from what was said in the manga. Thatch finds the fruit and Whitebeard's rules say finders eaters, Blackbeard probably panics because his decades-long wait is about to be wasted and kills Thatch almost immediately before he can eat the fruit. I don't think BB is the kind of guy who would even try to ask him for the fruit first.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
all of the badguys in One Piece are legitimately Bad Guys, but some of them happen to be more sympathetic or well developed villains compared to others.

i just want to know if Blackbeard is evil, amoral, or just excessively selfish.

Star Platinum posted:

I think it's pretty cut and dry from what was said in the manga. Thatch finds the fruit and Whitebeard's rules say finders eaters, Blackbeard probably panics because his decades-long wait is about to be wasted and kills Thatch almost immediately before he can eat the fruit. I don't think BB is the kind of guy who would even try to ask him for the fruit first.

blackbeard asked ace to join his crew... blackbeard seems to avoid conflict if possible. he wanted to join the schichibukai without doing anything first as well.

he is NOT a good guy, but he is definitely a schemer, and every time he gets into a fight, he doesnt like it, he explicitly attempts to sway whitebeard out of attacking him. why would he want to fight thatch if he could help otherwise? it absolutely fits his character.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 10, 2014

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.
The Marines are about the only real characters approaching real moral grayness. Obstensibly acting to protect people from pirates and other threats, but at the same time perpetrating and supporting the World Government, which represents a lot of morally bad areas (institutionalized class systems, slavery, etc). Even within them, however, most individual characters are pretty unambiguously Good (Garp, et al) or Evil (Akainu, etc).

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

all of the badguys in One Piece are legitimately Bad Guys, but some of them happen to be more sympathetic or well developed villains compared to others.

i just want to know if Blackbeard is evil, amoral, or just excessively selfish.

blackbeard asked ace to join his crew... blackbeard seems to avoid conflict if possible. he wanted to join the schichibukai without doing anything first as well.

he is NOT a good guy, but he is definitely a schemer, and every time he gets into a fight, he doesnt like it, he explicitly attempts to sway whitebeard out of attacking him. why would he want to fight thatch if he could help otherwise? it absolutely fits his character.

There's a pretty clear difference between betraying and murdering somebody in cold blood vs getting in a fight with a similarly powerful person and risking your hide :eng101:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Tollymain posted:

There's a pretty clear difference between betraying and murdering somebody in cold blood vs getting in a fight with a similarly powerful person and risking your hide :eng101:

right, just like fighting thatch. who he probably wanted to avoid fighting. because blackbeard has a history of doing that three times already.

how hard is it to understand that i dont totally buy that blackbeard just straight up saw the fruit and shanked thatch, and that sort of moment reveals a lot about a character, which we know nothing about. other than: thatch died. blackbeard is responsible for death. blackbeard took fruit.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Did Luffy not purposely release a metric fuckload of super dangerous prisoners JUST to go save his brother who was a criminal sentenced to death? How is that morally acceptable behavior? :psyduck:

KittyEmpress posted:

Edit2: Also, you mentioned that Blackbeard is literally Dark Luffy, and that's true - where Luffy specifically avoids killing, avoids betrayal, avoids hurting people in his quest, Blackbeard will lie, cheat, steal, betray, murder... He recruited multiple mass murderers to his crew because of their skills, not in spite of them.

Luffy is definintely Blackbeards counterpart, but because of that I can't say Luffy is morally good/right/just while Blackbeard is pure evil. Luffy is a darker shade of white and Blackbeard is a lighter shade of black. There's a spectrum and to just say Luffy good Blackbeard evil is wrong.

Luffy in fact has punched two inarguably good characters in Garp and Coby. On the same loving day, TO BREAK OUT A CONVICT! He's not a good guy in any traditional sense!

Veskit fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 10, 2014

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Luffy also doesn't give a poo poo about anybody's problems unless it involves a friend of his.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Broseph Brostar posted:

Luffy also doesn't give a poo poo about anybody's problems unless it involves a friend of his.

Give him meat and you'll be his best friend though.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Veskit posted:

Did Luffy not purposely release a metric fuckload of super dangerous prisoners JUST to go save his brother who was a criminal sentenced to death? How is that morally acceptable behavior? :psyduck:

Are these the same super dangerous prisoners who were put there because they were ruled guilty by other criminals? And who were ruled as dangerous by the WG because they could be a threat to the system? Or do you think that 8 year old Robin deserved to die or be sent to Impel Down because she was educated?

You seem to be worried a lot about Luffy releasing people who may or may not be bad people based solely on their refusal to abide by a horribly corrupt government's laws.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="432017772"]
Are these the same super dangerous prisoners who were put there because they were ruled guilty by other criminals? And who were ruled as dangerous by the WG because they could be a threat to the system? Or do you think that 8 year old Robin deserved to die or be sent to Impel Down because she was educated?

You seem to be worried a lot about Luffy releasing people who may or may not be bad people based solely on their refusal to abide by a horribly corrupt government's laws.

No I'm pretty sure at least a couple of them were put in prison for literally causing a catastrophic drought, having thousands of people killed, and starting a civil war for personal benefit. Now they're off galavanting in the new world.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Veskit posted:

No I'm pretty sure at least a couple of them were put in prison for literally causing a catastrophic drought, having thousands of people killed, and starting a civil war for personal benefit.

And another one was there because he wouldn't watch his old buddy die while fighting his buddy's armada. Who knows what the newer Blackbeard crew did. Hell, I think one was in there just because he was too loving big.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Veskit posted:

One piece as a whole is hands down the most morally diverse manga out there and it definitely doesn't have "black and white" moral levels. Blackbeard is on the evil spectrum probably, but it's a spectrum.

You should read Hunter x Hunter it's pretty good! (And this is just WSJ stuff off the top of my head.)

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Rudoku posted:

And another one was there because he wouldn't watch his old buddy die while fighting his buddy's armada. Who knows what the newer Blackbeard crew did. Hell, I think one was in there just because he was too loving big.

You're missing the point that it's dumb to consider Luffy strictly "a good guy". He's not. He does really loving terrible things. He's not necessarily a bad guy. We also can't say how evil Blackbeard is. He's certainly is bad/evil from the info we've been given not as loving evil as Mango. There's a spectrum and it's interesting to think over where people sit.

What's not interesting is having to argue that Luffy is good. He's not. Different sure, but he is most certainly not definitively good. Oda could have gone in that direction and it showed in romance dawn, but he didn't for a reason. Luffy is morally ambiguous because he will always choose the path of good over one of evil, but that doesn't mean he doesn't walk down really loving dark paths sometimes. He's a pirate, he steals, he helps convicts escapes (legitimately bad ones too), and he beats up good people when they get in his way.

Prison Warden posted:

You should read Hunter x Hunter it's pretty good! (And this is just WSJ stuff off the top of my head.)

That one I am 100% waiting for it to be done done.

Veskit fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 10, 2014

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

Shoren posted:

And for Robin, she's been hunted by the WG, and if she has killed anyone it would have been because she'd have been killed otherwise. Killing out of self defense doesn't make you a bad person. Killing indiscriminately does make you a bad person and that isn't how the Straw Hats work.

So killing innocent people obeying their orders from the World Government and doing their job trying to provide for their families is ok because self defense?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

|Ziggy| posted:

So killing innocent people obeying their orders from the World Government and doing their job trying to provide for their families is ok because self defense?

The Straw Hats don't kill people, just beat them up. Sometimes beating them pretty.

Though I'm not totally sure what happened to that schlub in Skypeia who pissed off Robin and there was also the one time Luffy punched a man so hard he became a flower.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

|Ziggy| posted:

If they're going to go hunt down and kill a little girl (or send her off to Impel Down) on shaky grounds, yeah, they deserve whatever they get.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
You people just don't get it. The level of moral ambiguity in One Piece rivals that of The Wire because

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

|Ziggy| posted:

What exactly makes these people innocent?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

AshB posted:

You people just don't get it. The level of moral ambiguity in One Piece rivals that of The Wire because

Oh man, what if Omar joined the crew?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

|Ziggy| posted:

"Just Following Orders" tends to not work out flawlessly in the end, and if it's kill-or-be-killed, it literally doesn't matter in the moment. If someone is trying to capture/kill you, whatever their motivations and reasons are are irrelevant, your own safety comes first.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Oh man, what if Omar joined the crew?

You come at the Pirate King, you best not miss.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Are people seriously arguing that Blackbeard is not evil? Like, really? He killed his brother because he found a devil fruit he wanted and Blackbeard does not seem at all apologetic for this. He specifically sought out the most vile, cruel, and evil criminals in the world to join his crew (didn't he also choose them by having them fight to the death). He killed Whitebeard because he had a devil fruit he wanted, and as he was a member of Whitebeard's crew he would've acted like a father to Teach. He kidnapped Bonney and basically offered her to be his slave. Where is the moral ambiguity? It doesn't exist. Blackbeard is an evil guy through and through, and the fact that we don't know all the details of his murder of Thatch doesn't change this.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Octopode posted:

The Marines are about the only real characters approaching real moral grayness. Obstensibly acting to protect people from pirates and other threats, but at the same time perpetrating and supporting the World Government, which represents a lot of morally bad areas (institutionalized class systems, slavery, etc). Even within them, however, most individual characters are pretty unambiguously Good (Garp, et al) or Evil (Akainu, etc).

I'm not sure Akainu is completely evil. His methods definitely go too far, but aside from Ohara (where he was trying to minimize the risk of someone getting a super WMD), he doesn't go around terrorizing innocent people. A better example of a completely evil World Government person would be Spandam, who actually wanted to use the super WMD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

I'm not sure Akainu is completely evil. His methods definitely go too far, but aside from Ohara (where he was trying to minimize the risk of someone getting a super WMD), he doesn't go around terrorizing innocent people.

He was literally about to murder Coby for speaking his mind.

• Locked thread